RCCL vs NCL pros and cons?

Hi everyone,

We had our very first cruise last September in the Med with Voyager, fabulous, fabulous time, so the bar has been set, and very high! We are looking for an Eastern Med trip next time, Fall 2011, to include Egypt, but nothing is published yet. There are several great lines servicing that area, and we would be sold on the itinerery, but do not want to take a step backwards in the overall experience. NCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, so many options! Any guidance as far as comparisons?

We are doing the Med, including Egypt this year aboard the Vision of the Seas and again aboard the Navigator. Looking forward to these adventures. Our cruise lines of choice are RCCL,Celebrity and Princess. I would base my choice on itinerary and price.

Oh wow... here I go. Of course, take with a grain of salt as this is just IMHO the way I see things.

I haven't been on RCL yet (sailing on Monday and excited to experience it) but I have been on HAL and NCL. I won't comment on HAL since it's been 6 years and cruiselines have changed a lot over that time with the changes in the economy so I don't know what it's like now but I will say the overall impression was outstanding food, outstanding service, ship too small for us, and clientel was almost all very old (we were in our 20's then).

As for NCL I don't believe I will cruise with them again any time in the next decade (never say never right?).

Lowlights:

- I felt like they were trying to get my money every way I turned. On the pool deck, they don't service sections, they all service the whole thing. So you would have 8 different people try to sell you drinks in 30 minutes. The daily drinks cost $13! (I have heard they are $5 on RCL). This is just one example.

- Service in the main dining area was horrendous. Because the dining is whenever you want to go, you don't have a set table or set servers. They aren't working for the tip I think because they figure they won't see you again. The service was honestly worse than almost any other resteraunt ever... including taco bell. If you want to pay extra for the specialty restraunts the service is absolutely top notch though.

- This one is hard to explain, but the feel I got from about 1/2 the employees on the ship was that we were interrupting their party... I know that probably doesn't make any sense. I guess you just have to experience this one.

- They advertise the freestyle dining but if you want to dine in any of the specialty restraunts you have to have your reservation in the night before or be left with a very slim chance of getting in. I would imagine that 'slim chance' would be less slim if you were in one of the top graded rooms.

Highlights:

- The ship we were on (the pearl) is very new. It was a beautiful ship that was well taken care of. Rather than a stuffy/classical feel it has a very lively celebratory feel. The room was great and modern and the public areas all looked fantastic.

- The service in the specialty restraunts was absolutely top notch and the food matched the service. It was worth the extra money IMO.

Not a high or low but an average - the entertainment.

I know everyone has different experiences, but one thing about NCL is just a plain truth - they have freestyle dining. Some servers are going to take advantage of not seeing you again in the main dining, I'm sure others work very hard regardless.

That's about it!

I´ve been on the Norwegian Jade for the Eastern Med and Egypt and on the Norwegian Gem for the Western Med. I´ve been on the Grandeur of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas. So I think I can compare both lines although any kind of comparision is subjective:

Food:

- Freestyle Cruising is definitely not my type of cruising!

- Main Dining Room: RCI +, NCL -, food was way better with RCI than NCL and so was service, when you´re early you´re rushed through your dinner with NCL as they need the table for other guests, when you´re late you have to wait forever!

- Buffet restaurant: NCL +, more choices and free coffee specialties except for the desserts (taste all the same and way too sweet)

- Specialty restaurants: I´ve tried out the Italian, Mexican and Teppanyaki on NCL and sorry, not worth the money, so definitely a + for RCL and a - for NCL

Service:

+ for RCL!! Way better and you see why you tip the staff and don´t pay a service charge (BTW it´s $9.75 with RCI and $12 with NCL per day per guest)

Entertainment:

++ for RCL!! But the Comedy Club on the Oasis doesn´t reach Second City on NCL! Not that entertainment is bad on NCL but RCL is better

Excursions:

felt that RCL is more reasonable priced than NCL

I do have to second Tes regarding the money thing! I sort of felt pushed regarding all extra pay stuff. So all announcements over the PA system were like Bingo, Art Auction... but not about the free stuff.

steamboats

Hi everyone,

We had our very first cruise last September in the Med with Voyager, fabulous, fabulous time, so the bar has been set, and very high! We are looking for an Eastern Med trip next time, Fall 2011, to include Egypt, but nothing is published yet. There are several great lines servicing that area, and we would be sold on the itinerery, but do not want to take a step backwards in the overall experience. NCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, so many options! Any guidance as far as comparisons?

Having sailed on both a RCCL and NCL cruise, I would take NCL over RCCL any day. But it depends what kind of cruise you like. If i was doing an especially port heavy trip like the Mediterranean. The last thing I would want to worry about was leaving the port to make sure I made dinner on time. That's where freestyling would be a key component of the trip for me.

We've never felt that we were pressured to leave the MDR at any time and noticed the same amount of selling drinks on both ships. We also believe, and so did the people traveling with us, that the food on NCL was much better than RCCL.

So if the price is right, I would take NCL.

Good Luck

I like both NCL and RCCL. I like the fact about not having to worry about time on NCL, Since my husband always likes going to the gym right before dinner.

I like that NCL has more choice of dinning options. After being on a 12 cruise Chops and Portofino got old.

We have sailed Norwegian a few times, usually in a port heavy itinerary (Europe) and thought it was great. We enjoyed food, entertainment, and never found service lacking. (and we are BIG Royal fans with the bulk of our cruises done with them) We enjoyed the specialty restaurants, Teppanaki, Italian, Steak, French, TexMex tapas, etc.

They are comparable in so many ways.

I have never been on RCL but have been on Disney, NCL and HAL. I would never go back to NCL. Long waits just to get a beeper for an even longer wait at dinner time. Specialty restaurants were good except several items on each menu had an additional cost above the cost just to eat at the specialty restaurant. What a ripoff! At all the shows raffel tickets were hawked like it was a carnival. Many activities also cost extra.

Embarkation and debarkation was horrible. NCL had no idea how to handle crowds.

I just got off my first NCL cruise a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The food was good and the entertainment was far better than RCL. I especially loved the Freestyle dining and the variety of options for dinner.

Having sailed both I would agree with the majority of folks who have posted so far. RCI has a better product . . . . in most all facets.

A couple of things about NCL. They have better (cheaper) prices, but IMO, one gets what one pays for.

In a port intensive itinerary WHERE dining is an IMPORTANT factor, NCL probably has the edge with its' freestyle dining. Being able to eat anytime you want, all the time has its' advantages. However (and this is truly objective) MDR dining/food/experience on NCL doesn't match up to RCI.

Having sailed both I would agree with the majority of folks who have posted so far. RCI has a better product . . . . in most all facets.

A couple of things about NCL. They have better (cheaper) prices, but IMO, one gets what one pays for.

In a port intensive itinerary WHERE dining is an IMPORTANT factor, NCL probably has the edge with its' freestyle dining. Being able to eat anytime you want, all the time has its' advantages. However (and this is truly objective) MDR dining/food/experience on NCL doesn't match up to RCI.

Question, by the time you end up putting all the charges for the specialty restaurants on to get the 'better' food, is it still a less expensive cruise?

I have only done a 1 night to nowhere and understand it does not truly show what the experience would be but we did not find it up to par at all with RCI. The entertainment we saw was high school level at best. The drinks were so watered down you needed many to make up for 1 you get on RCI (and we watched them open bottles and pour so not sure how they were so weak). The ship was hard to nagivate, the cabin was tiny and I just couldn't see myself being onboard for a week. We will probably try it someday, but its lower on my list right now than many others I want to try.

We cruised with NCL before they went Freestyle and found everything to be lovely. We did our first Freestyle cruise with them in 2005 and I wouldn't cruise with NCL if they paid me to board the ship.

I agree with some of the other posters about several things.

1) the main dining room was horrible. I get much better service at Chili's or Applebees. There isn't really "anytime" dining when everyone who wants to see the show has to eat at the same time. Who wants to wait in a line like for Outback Steak House on a cruise ship?

2) reservations in the MDR are not available to 2 people. You have to be a group. (RCI's MTD will allow even a single person to make a reservation)

3) the atmosphere was nothing short of hectic. Waitstaff crashing into one another, no one able to find our open bottle of wine, a full 30 minute wait every night for after dinner coffee.

4) The constant barrage of the PA system trying to sell us stuff was really annoying. It was like being at a fairground with hawkers coming at us all day and night.

5) The ship was filthy. The cabin was never properly cleaned. A paper plate was there for 3 days and still there when we got off. The cabin steward never discovered that there was a door to the balcony so he could pick up the coffee cup and wipe down the little table.

6) the crew was badly trained and rude. We came across a crew member pushing a trolly of towels in a tight corridor and she actually made US back up for her.

7) I waited in a line (lines were everywhere for everything) for a chocolate buffet for about 45 minutes. When I got to the buffet I was handed a paper plate and plastic fork with the unspoken, but very clear, attitude of take your stuff and get out of here. (see paper plate in #5 above)

8) The ship we sailed on had the worst buffet food I've ever eaten on a cruise ship. It was on the quality of a high school cafeteria. RCI's Windjammer has several of the same dishes offered in the MDR on their dinner buffet and NO HOUR LONG LINES.

RCI does have My Time Dining which does not require a set time but does have a quieter more gracious approach to dining than the hectic hustle and noise of NCL.

There were some good meals on NCL, but overall I think the quality of the food on RCI is better, mainly because it is not their intention to force their guests into the specialty restaurants by serving them mediocre food in the MDR.

As for the port intensive Med cruise. We did one on Voyager of the Seas in 2008. We had early seating and only once was it a problem getting to the dining room on time and that was due to a snafu at a port where they had to tender and the water was rough. It was formal night and we went straight to the dining room in our jeans and jackets. The matre d' greeted us with a nod and a "good evening"

I am "mature" and did not grow up with fast food, frozen dinners and take-out like many younger folks. I grew up in a home where people sat down to dinner together and made the dining experience more than just stuffing faces with food. I raised my own family that way (my DD hates NCL, too). The graciousness of cruise ship dining is an integral part of my overall cruise experience. If it wasn't I'd just do land trips and eat in restaurants or hotels.

I am perfectly open to cruising with any other line except NCL. I want my vacation to be extraordinary, and I don't want to dine Denny's-style every night.

Question, by the time you end up putting all the charges for the specialty restaurants on to get the 'better' food, is it still a less expensive cruise?

Having done both, NCL is still a less expensive cruise if you go to the specialty resturants for every dinner

Having done both, NCL is still a less expensive cruise if you go to the specialty resturants for every dinner

Agree. Comparing the accommodations, same dates and class of ship, NCL usually is less expensive than RCCL and that is dining in NCL specialty restaurants every night.

NCL's specialty restaurants are far superior to RCCL's main dining room. Why not dine in a different venue each night with different cuisine, different beautiful atmosphere, excellent service and most of all...the time you want to dine???

NCL is our first choice for Freestyle dining.

I agree with Kelly Poodle on a lot of her summation. My overworked, overburdened room steward was o.k. Of course, the $2 a day and a piece of candy I left him daily may have helped the cause along (lol). At least my cabin was made up prior to 1:00 p.m. and turned down prior to 10:00 p.m.

NCL went off my consideration list after a trans-Atlantic in 2007. I don't even bother to compare prices/itineraries anymore with them because I don't care how cheap it is, I'm not going.

However, that being said, I am booked on the POA in July only because my husband's siblings want to do a Hawaiian cruise and that is the only game in town for a 7-day one. I have to admit it is the most efficient and economical way to cruise the islands in a week.

The in-laws already knew how I feel about NCL and they have had friends that have taken the cruise and come back with the same opinion of NCL that I have. I booked an inside cabin. Can't tell you how long since I have done that but I don't intend on being on the ship for a minute longer than I have to be. I have told husband to bring the credit card because we will be eating most meals off the ship.

To me, there is no comparison between the two unless you want a cheap price and willing to be happy with what you pay for.

Tucker in Texas

We sailed on NCL last November and while I had a nice cruise I have no praise for Free Style Dining. To me there is no personal touch with it. The waiters don't know your name, what you like or dislike, nor were they in any hurry to fill your water, bread, or butter when empty. I found that we were rushed through in the main dining rooms especially because it seemed to me they wanted to make room for others waiting to dine. Yes while you can dine at anytime most people choose the same hours you traditionally dine so there are often waiting lines.

As far as the speciality restaurants goes we did not eat at their steak house Cagney's but all the others. I found LeBristo very good but we had to pay an extra $30 for that. As far as the others speciality restaurants goes I didn't find any of them superior to the main dining room on RCI, in fact I liked the main dining room on RCI better.

Shak

I have never sailed with NCL but I do know there are entertainment personnel currently with RCCL trying despretely to get on Epic! They say NCL treats entertainers the best, and has the highest rates of pay. Of course, the cruise lines treat their customers totally differently than they do their crew so take that with a grain of salt. It probably doesn't trickle down to the guest experience.

To me, there is no comparison between the two unless you want a cheap price and willing to be happy with what you pay for.

Tucker in Texas

Exactly Tucker. I wrote a review on the Dawn a couple of years ago and said this then: 2. The cost - it was fairly cheap. I feel I got exactly what I paid for, so I am not disappointed.

I'm a D+ and am going on my 1st NCL cruise in Dec. Reasons; the ship (Sun) is out of PC (live nearby) and goes to Guatemala (never been) and Key West (love it). Also a resident rate balcony GTY was $599 and tropicana.com is offering $100 OBC for buying 3 cartons of OJ. Can't pass that up but will miss the CL.

Not sure about he freestyle dining concept but will have an open mind.

Archived