Favorite compliment received while crusing....

Renorita

Thought this might be fun, and unless someone really goes out of their way, it should remain lighthearted. :)

Okay I will start. This was from a new tablemate who was more observant than I thought. "Oh your own hair looks so much better than the wig you had on last night" Well what can I say, my hair was wet and I didn't have time to dry it, so grabbed my emergency wig so we could make it to dinner last night. :o

Said to me, on board the QM2 maiden voyage, at the Golden Lion Pub after several rounds, by an obviously genteel British man, "For an American, you seem very, very civilized." :confused: :o

I was at a dockside craft bazaar in Dakar, Senegal during the QM2 Three Continents cruise. I had bargained with one of the merchants for a carving of a teak warthog for a price of $65 (I’m sure that the merchant got a good deal!). I said "I’m afraid I don’t have enough money. I’ll have to go back aboard to get more." As I turned to go, the merchant said "Here, take the

carving with you." I thought this was a wonderful display of trust! I must have an honest face!

attachment.php?attachmentid=4769&stc=1

The African Warthog always

hides in the available foliage!

From a tablemate at dinner: "What is it with you Canadians, you're always saying 'please, I'm sorry, and thank you'. You drive me crazy." My response: "I am so sorry, please forgive me but thank you for the compliment." He laughed until he cried.

From a British gentleman: "You have lovely table manners". I guess we North American "colonials" are catching up. You just have to laugh and go with the flow.

I can't believe I started this thread and misspelled Cruising of all words! My only excuse is that I was working the night shift at the hospital. :o

Hey you guys are doing great! :) This is really fun, glad now that I started it!

Lets keep it going for awhile.

I can't believe I started this thread and misspelled Cruising of all words! My only excuse is that I was working the night shift at the hospital. :o

Hey you guys are doing great! :) This is really fun, glad now that I started it!

Lets keep it going for awhile.

OK, we won't complement you on your spelling.;) :D

That's okay, Rita, I thought the subject was "favorite compliment you've received while cursing" ... couldn't quite figure it out:D .

My favorite (and I really have several) was a young couple about 30 telling us they couldn't believe they'd had so much fun with an older couple. We were in our early 50's at the time.

Wow! Thanks!;)

Well, I also have an age related compliment - on our Noordam Holiday cruise in 2002-2003, we bought my oldest son (23 yrs. old at the time) and one couple asked me if he was adopted, because I did not look old enough to have a 23-yr. old! :eek:

I've been asked of I'm a part of the cruise staff or if I work for the line because I'm told that I seem to know everyone aboard. Along the same lines, I've also had other passengers and even some members of the cruise staff tell me that I should work for the line as a cruise director...

i was told once byan elderly gentlemen Is that your real hair it always looks so nice, my wife wears wigs so i never know if women have their real hair or not.After saying yes to hime, both his wife and him always would wait for after dinner for me to meet them to have an after dinner drink. they were a wonderful couple from Japan, i was so surprised as the japanese passengers i have met were not that forward, not that i think what he asked was being forward. but the certainly made my cruise a wonderful one:)

While on the Prinsendam last June a lady who had seen us a few times in one of the lounges came up to the table where I was sitting alone and said "Oh, I've seen you here a couple of times before; are you waiting for your 'father'? He's very handsome." I said "Thank you, but I have to tell you a secret, he's my husband." She was quite embarassed at her faux pas. We are 14 years apart in age, but I didn't think either of us looked old enough/young enough to make us look like a father-daughter combination! However, for the rest of the trip I called him "Dad" whenever I could because I can run faster scared than he can mad!:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

That's okay, Rita, I thought the subject was "favorite compliment you've received while cursing" ... couldn't quite figure it out:D .

My favorite (and I really have several) was a young couple about 30 telling us they couldn't believe they'd had so much fun with an older couple. We were in our early 50's at the time.

Wow! Thanks!;)

Heather, isn't that amazing that we can be older and still be fun! :) That is why I hate generalized statements concerning age. Not every older couple are "Old Fogies", and on the other side, we have met some people that you swear they would break if they tried to crack a smile. :D Life is too short to frown through it!

"My favorite (and I really have several) was a young couple about 30 telling us they couldn't believe they'd had so much fun with an older couple. We were in our early 50's at the time."

FH and I have selected HAL for this very reason. We both think "older" people have more and better fun then people our age (27,32)

Not on a cruise but it fits in the general area of psuedo compliments. In 1977, I was walking on campus with our youngest child, about three years old, with bright red hair in a style that might be termed a page boy (I think!). A student in my class approached us and said "You have a beautiful granddaughter." To which I replied "He’s my son"!

My husband and I spent some time chatting with a retired doctor on the first afternoon of the cruise. The day following the formal dinner...

First-Formal-dinner.jpg

... the gentleman stopped my husband on the deck and said, "I saw your wife last night, and she was scantily clad" :o How on earth does one respond to that?

travelingmcmahans--

... the gentleman stopped my husband on the deck and said, "I saw your wife last night, and she was scantily clad." How on earth does one respond to that?

"Sir, I'm sure you noticed what color her eyes are. Well? Ok, what color is her hair? You mean, you were only looking in one direction? SHAME on you."

My husband and I spent some time chatting with a retired doctor on the first afternoon of the cruise. The day following the formal dinner the gentleman stopped my husband on the deck and said, "I saw your wife last night, and she was scantily clad" :o How on earth does one respond to that?

You could have smiled, said to him "yes she was", wink;) and walk away.

Archived