Any "Must Do's" in Nassau, Key West

Hi! I'm also going to be on the Majesty on the 15th!!!! :DSee ya there! When we are in Nassau, our group is going to be going to the British Colonial Hilton, which is a few blocks away from the docks. They have a beach, kayaks, pool, etc. It's $40 for the whole day, plus you get $30 credit at their restaurant. It's right by Senor Frogs too! :p

Key West is great to just walk around. I enjoyed the shipwreck museum, Earnest Hemingway's house as well as walking by all of the small personal yahts/boats and looking at them. Can't miss the key lime pie (key lime everything really!) either!!!

Looking forward to sailing! We're only, like 9 days out!:eek:

Did you book the Colonial Hilton seperately? I didnt see it listed as one of the excursions to book through the ship...

KEY WEST

• Another vote for the Conch Train--gives a good overview even if you do feel that you are going in circles!
  • The coral reefs are the best here! Take a glass bottomed boat ride out of Mallory Square
  • I would give the Truman Summer White House an A+, but then again, he was my favorite president!

NASSAU

• Another vote for Ardasta Gardens and the flamingos. Get there by the local jitney buses.
  • The straw market is interesting.
  • We also enjoyed the slave museum.

I want to say Kinos is at Greene St.? There is a cigar place there as well that my husband loves. Key West is all that is posted above.

Very close. It's on Fitzpatrick St. in between Greene St. and Front St.

<P>"I would give the Truman Summer White House an A+, but then again, he was my favorite president! "</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Actually we did enjoy the Truman museum... but had a very hard time finding it. Went to the museum annex by mistake. We were about 50 yards away but did not know it... Signs PLEASE !</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Glass bottom boat? Sounds great... I missed it.</P>

Why does everyone keep talking about doing the island walk on Coco Cay?...Its not even that big and everything is right there when you are taken to the dock

Because it's nice to get away from the crowds for a little while. The far side of the island is very pretty and very private.

Hi all. Im booked on the Majesty March 15th sailing. It will be my girlfriend's first ever cruise and my second.

I was wondering if there were any "must do's" in Nassau and Key West. Providing we can actually go to Cococay, we plan on that being a beach day, but are unsure of what we want to do in the other two locations.

Thanks

But a chocolate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick....OMG SOOOO GOOD :D

We were in Nassau last week. We caught a local van tour 20.00 per person, did an excellent tour of Nassau, took us to Fort Charlotte we got out amd walked to the top of the Fort and had an incredible view of the harbour, etc. Then he stopped at the Queens Staircase, we all walked down the stairs and took pictures, then he took us to Atlantis, view the aquarium, the beach area was free, we opted to stay at Atlantis and caught another taxi back to the ship. Well work the price. Loved the Straw Market if you like knock off purses, wow...Senor Frogs is fun.

Key West..we took a tour using Old Trolley Tours, goes all around Key West, it is a hop on hop off, so you can pick the tour up where you got off and continue. We got off at the Hemingway House, love the cats, and then got back on when the trolley came past later in the day.

Yeah we booked the British Colonial Hilton separately. There's a website that you can reserve from. They have a limited number of spots daily.

Its getting SOOOO close. How excited are you???

In Key West, stay off the touristy Duval Street, get away from Sloppy Joe's, Margaritaville, and the trinkets and trash shops, and head to a bicycle rental shop ... Moped Hospital or Eaton Bikes (there are other bike shops around too ... I am sure you can look them up online). You will get a map and it really is the best and most fun way to get around the island. The train or trolley is OK too, but I prefer a bike. I am a locals kind of person, so go to Pepe's on Caroline Street for a tasty margarita made with fresh lime juice or a fresh Bloody Mary. They have an interesting sampling of oysters too. Conch fritters at the Schooner Wharf Bar. Lunch at Blue Heaven. Higgins and Smathers Beaches. Key lime pie at the factory. So many cool places off the beaten path. Too bad the ship sails before sunset, which is the highlight of Key West at Mallory Square.

Enjoy!

Ardastra Gardens in Nassau... they have the Marching Flamingos.

We went on our own, missed the show, but ended up meeting the trainer.

He pretty much gave us a private show, let the kids march around with the birds.

n1507726387_30039161_7563.jpg

They also have an area where you get to feed some sorta parrot-thing. Put out your hand with a piece of apple, and they'll fly over, land on your hand, and start eating.

That was cool.

Great photo!!! :) We had fun at Ardastra Gardens. The Flamingo march is really cute and we enjoyed feeding the parrots. Afterwards we went to the Fish Fry -- where the locals hang out -- for a drink and some conch fritters.

If you have never been to Nassau....it is worth the ride over to Atlantis just to check it out. But IMHO - I stay on board. Been so many times, but cruise and land vacations.

Key West is a hoot. Great for walking around. Great for drinking. Best tour we ever did was a circumnavigation of Key West on a wave runner. There is a great company out there...Key West Water Tours. Their Ultimate Island tour was fantastic - 2 hours. $150 double, $135 single. (They have a coupon on their webpage) We rode past the Majesty. My kids thought that was the coolest thing.

Yup we're getting very excited!!! :DCan't wait to feel the sun after this past week of cold, rainy and cloudy!:eek:

We've actually had quite pleasant weather the last week or so...for southern ontario anyway! Its been sunny and in the 50s for most of the last while! Supposed to get REALLY rainy though beginning on Thursday!

What are you guys doing in Miami the day before the cruise?

If you are adventerous, I did a "swim with the sharks" excursion in Nassau. Ride a bus to the Stuarts Cove (it was quite a long drive to the other side of the island). Really quaint little marina where Gilligan's Island was filmed (or was that Flipper?). Load into a 2 story boat. You do a cruise up the coast. Nice views from second story of the boat. See cool houses. Two deep water snorkeling stops. Reefs in good condition for Nassau.

Last stop was over a bait pile with 10-20 reef sharks (3 to 5 feet long). You snorkel right over the sharks praying they stay interested in the bait pile and not you ;). It was scary, certainly not for everyone, but thrill seekers might enjoy.

I booked this excursion on a Holland America Cruise. Not sure of RCL offers it, but if they do and it sounds even remotely interesting, do it. It is one of my favorite excursions of all time.

Cheryl :)

Not much in Nassau. Key West, on the other hand, is fun for walking... and if you happen to be a cat lover, don't miss the Hemingway Museum which plays host to numerous six-toed felines!

Thanks for mentioning that, we are researching a cruise that stops in Key West and would love this.

How do I get information on this, do I call the hotel directly?

Hi! I'm also going to be on the Majesty on the 15th!!!! :DSee ya there! When we are in Nassau, our group is going to be going to the British Colonial Hilton, which is a few blocks away from the docks. They have a beach, kayaks, pool, etc. It's $40 for the whole day, plus you get $30 credit at their restaurant. It's right by Senor Frogs too! :p

Key West is great to just walk around. I enjoyed the shipwreck museum, Earnest Hemingway's house as well as walking by all of the small personal yahts/boats and looking at them. Can't miss the key lime pie (key lime everything really!) either!!!

Looking forward to sailing! We're only, like 9 days out!:eek:

I found out about this place on another thread. I went to this address:

https://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

to book for us. It's $40 and you get $30 in credit at the beach restuarant. Can be spend on both food and drinks. ;). You can also use their pool, beach chairs, kayaks, etc. I have read it's about a 10 min. walk from RCCI's dock and is right by Bay street if you would like to go shopping. Also, Senor Frogs is attached to this hotel, so that's fun too!

When you email them for a reservation, they check that date and then get back to you. You only have to put 25% down and then pay the rest at the hotel the day of. If the ship doesn't dock or something, there's a refund too. I can't wait - we're less than a week out!:D

I found out about this place on another thread. I went to this address:

https://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

to book for us. It's $40 and you get $30 in credit at the beach restuarant. Can be spend on both food and drinks. ;). You can also use their pool, beach chairs, kayaks, etc. I have read it's about a 10 min. walk from RCCI's dock and is right by Bay street if you would like to go shopping. Also, Senor Frogs is attached to this hotel, so that's fun too!

When you email them for a reservation, they check that date and then get back to you. You only have to put 25% down and then pay the rest at the hotel the day of. If the ship doesn't dock or something, there's a refund too. I can't wait - we're less than a week out!:D

And Emily at that link is very helpful!

Archived