Noro virus..they think it might have mutated.

Mellowtraveler

SC has had an epic year with noro, in almost every school, which means it's almost everywhere! I'm sure malls, grocery stores, etc....are harboring the virus, too.

I didn't see anything about it "mutating"...although all germs do....even the common cold---that's why we keep catching colds over and over!

I don't see anything about mutating either. Its just the same story in the news and its a bit of sensationalism as far as I can see when they correlate the current year with 2006 and intentionally drop 2009 to support the noise.

All the ports embarcation ports for the ships are different. Charleston, Florida, Southhampton. It's just a seasonal bug that gets out of control on ships.

Summer is coming.:D

The reporters on the video explained that part of the problem on the Mercury was that the dishwashers were not running with the water hot enough to kill the virus. That part of the problem has been rectified.

I read the article from MSNBC. It does not say the virus has mutated. It says these outbreaks are occurring on other cruise lines also and it's another possibility the CDC is looking at.

Glad to hear they may have found another possible reason.

We're getting on Mercury in 2 weeks so we'll post what we find out. We're waiting to hear what's going on this cruise so we can be more prepared.

Happy cruising.

Pat C

all viruses mutate as do the antibodies our bodies use to fight them. It's a continuous battle. Just about the time our bodies become immune to an infection the infection figures out a way to beat the system. War is hell!:eek:

My apologies for the misinformation. I have hurt my shoulder and my husband has me on limited to computer time :( and I had quickly read the following in the article and misquoted.

"The only way to know whether rash of outbreaks is just a coincidence or a sign that something might have changed with the virus is to wait and see how the next few months go, says Dr. Neil Fishman, an associate professor of medicine and director of health care epidemiology and infection prevention for the University of Pennsylvania Health System."

I thought it was saying that they felt their was a possibility that the virus had mutated. Again I thought it was an interesting article as to what was going on right now with the Noro and did not mean to mislead anyone.

ehtanol based sterlization agents are minimally effective against viruses like norovirus. Chlorine based agents (like bleach) work a lot better.

You can increase the efficacy of alcohol based cleaners by applying more and leaving it in contact longer

That is exactly the problem with Noro it is (I am going to call it a group although technically that probably isn't the correct term) of viruses that change very quickly even if it is only slightly but it is apparently enough to make it impossible to find something that will combat it. Once you have it it is tooo late because it kills off the inside layer of you intestine. It takes about 3 days for the outer layer of cells to get replaced hence the 3 day runs because during this time absolutely nothing can be absorbed here including any sort of medication..... So it makes sence to try and combat it in another form but that seems to be very imperfect.

Thanks for posting the article. I think the bigger problem is not the cruise ship, but Charleston, SC. I'm worried that the hotel pre-cruise is going to be the problem. You know they are not santizing and bleaching like the cruise ship is. If people are catching it in SC and bringing on the ship, there's no way Celebrity can contain it completely.

I will be bringning disenfected wipes with me and make sure I wipe down everything in our hotel room before we touch it. Maybe I'll even bring gloves and clean the room.

I usually don't do this as I'm not a germaphobe, but for some reason this outbreak has me worried. The last thing I want to do is be sick on my vacation. I can stay home and do that.

your probably right about the hotel. Since I am working in health care I know several facilities in our area have had major outbreaks. fortunately we are getting to the end of the "noro" season and cases should start to slow down. it would be great if they had a medication to treat it but like other viruses like the common cold and various flus developing effective drugs is very complicated as the viruses constantly change.

a1244929-26-chicken%20little.jpg?d=1175471908

HAHAHHA!! LOVE IT!

I agree - it's media sensationalism. I equate this with keeping the homeland security at "orange" or whatever...why not just remove the first two colours, since they'll never go below orange. It's all about keeping people scared and on their toes. Now some pharmaceutical company will come out with a drug that can protect you from noro, make billions off of people's fears, and the media perpetuates it.

Ugh.

That was an interesting article - one thing I noticed was the advice to use alcohol based hand wipes. I thought I had read some posts on here debating that alcohol sanitizers were not effective against Noro?
gtexan: ehtanol based sterlization agents are minimally effective against viruses like norovirus. Chlorine based agents (like bleach) work a lot better.

You can increase the efficacy of alcohol based cleaners by applying more and leaving it in contact longer

First off, not quite sure what you are trying to say gtexan, pro or con.

Except for some conspiracy theorists, most agree that CDC has the expertise in the discussion. (I had posted this in an earlier thread)

Here is what the CDC (Center for Disease Control) says on the matter about hand sanitizers and norovirus. I have added some emphasis.

Control

The primary control of norovirus relies on the exclusion of ill individuals from food and hospitality settings. Food handlers who have recently recovered from norovirus illness should be given non-food handling tasks.

Normal cleaning and sanitizing procedures are typically not sufficient to inactivate the virus; rather, aggressive disinfection protocols are needed. Prompt attention to disinfection is needed to reduce the magnitude of norovirus outbreaks. For cleanup of vomitus or other body excretions, personal protection equipment and a biohazard clean-up kit is very useful to minimize further spread of the virus.

In general:

* Cover material with tissue or paper toweling until clean-up detail arrives.

* Wear disposable gloves and face mask when cleaning the spill.

* Follow Biohazard Clean-up Kit instructions:

o Sprinkle adsorbent material on body fluids.

o Pick up with scoop and place in disposal bag.

o Apply a properly registered disinfectant per label instructions.

* Wash hands thoroughly after removing protective equipment.

Hand hygiene is critical to help prevent and control virus outbreaks. This is a primary transmission mode and must be judiciously implemented. Washing well and often is the best control. The CDC recommends use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with hand washing using the following procedure:

1. Wet your hands with warm water.

2. Apply a generous amount of soap.

3. Rub hands together for 20 seconds.

4. Rinse hands.

5. Dry hands with a paper towel

6. Use the paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

Archived