Norvo out of Charleston?

lurkster

Hasn't Carnaval been sailing out of Charleston all winter? If yes, why have their ship been spared the dreaded norvo? Anybody willing to speculate?

Nope the last time Carnival was in Charleston was November of last year with the Carnival Triumph...who then moved to New Orleans. Carnival will sail the Carnival Fantasy year round starting in May from Charleston. I think too that the Carnival Glory makes a couple of stops here this year. The Noro has been everywhere not just on ships...Hubby and I have each had it within this past week. I am a RN and am diligent about hand hygiene but still managed to pick up the nasty virus and don't even have a cruise to show for it...:eek:

It's actually very easy to avoid the virus. It does not spread via airborne means, only from hand-to-mouth. So if you can remember to wash hands before eating, you'll not catch it.

Now if we could tell people to wash their hands we all would be doing good..I see way too many folks not wash their hands..Even after using the potty!!! GROSS!!! :eek:

It's actually very easy to avoid the virus. It does not spread via airborne means, only from hand-to-mouth. So if you can remember to wash hands before eating, you'll not catch it.

Yah...like I said...I am diligent about handwashing! Still managed to catch it...:(

Hasn't Carnaval been sailing out of Charleston all winter? If yes, why have their ship been spared the dreaded norvo? Anybody willing to speculate?

We sail out of Charleston in May. Forgive me if I sound dumb, but I am not aware of norovirus on ships sailing out of Charleston. (Haven't been to CC in a couple of days or so.) So is there an outbreak or something? Is it on the ships porting there now?

Shay

There was a recent outbreak of a "Noro-like" disease on a Celebrity ship sailing from Charleston. I have not seen any official labels on the causative agent. That said...OP, cruise ships are not infectious, cruisers are. :rolleyes:

Noro could affect any cruise ship at any time based on who is on board and what they brought on board with them. A cruise ship that leaves from the same port, visiting the same locations, serving the same food...will be Noro free for many cruises until suddenly a passenger who is sick comes on board and ruins the fun for everyone....Don't worry about the boat, worry about your fellow cruisers, and so, wash your hands often! :)

Do they give the ship shots for NORO?:D:rolleyes:

Ships don't get NORO, passengers get it from OTHER PAX that bring it aboard.

Luck or not, of the draw.

Do they give the ship shots for NORO?:D:rolleyes:

Ships don't get NORO, passengers get it from OTHER PAX that bring it aboard.

Luck or not, of the draw.

Well, maybe not the Noro shot, but perhaps one for Norvo. :)

(Hey - I went to Vero Beach for my orthodontist appointments in 7th grade!).

(Hey - I went to Vero Beach for my orthodontist appointments in 7th grade!).

Isn't that where Porky's (the movie) was supposed to have taken place? Or was that some other beach in FL? I think you could get Noro or some other exotic disease from just watching that movie. :)

We were just in Charleston and the Celebrity Ship was in dock for a few days, our tour guide told us that numerous guests had come down with the Noro Virus and Nassau was not letting them in port so they had to come back and they were cleaning the ship top to bottom

Yeah, they're still talking about you here!!!:eek::eek::D:D

Oooooh Nooo! It's probably because I lived on the wrong side of the tracks -er bridge - in Ft. Pierce. I think my orthodontist died of old age about 30 years ago, though. :)

Isn't that where Porky's (the movie) was supposed to have taken place? Or was that some other beach in FL? I think you could get Noro or some other exotic disease from just watching that movie. :)

Well, (War Eagle), I thought it was (War Eagle) a beach between (War Eagle) West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale (War Eagle), but I could be wrong.

We sail out of Charleston in May. Forgive me if I sound dumb, but I am not aware of norovirus on ships sailing out of Charleston. (Haven't been to CC in a couple of days or so.) So is there an outbreak or something? Is it on the ships porting there now?

Shay

Shay,

It was the X Mercury that was held in Charleston for over 24 hours so the CDC could make sure the ship was properly cleaned. ( At least that is what the news reported) The folks who lived less than 2 hours away had to come back the next day. The folks who were more than 2 hours away were put in hotels here in Charleston by X. Again this was reported by our news team. According to them over 400 pax were sick and that is why the extensive cleaning by X.

Julie

I am may OCD, but along with hand washing....

whenever I eat at the buffet (which is not often...I am just not a buffet person)....I sanitize before I go through the line and then sanitize AGAIN after I go through the line but before I eat....since I have touched all those utensils to get the food.

I am may OCD, but along with hand washing....

whenever I eat at the buffet (which is not often...I am just not a buffet person)....I sanitize before I go through the line and then sanitize AGAIN after I go through the line but before I eat....since I have touched all those utensils to get the food.

Good policy, if more passangers would do just that it would cut down on many of the cases. I work out of a hospital (not actually hospital staff). Here they teach to wash with soap and water before and after using the restroom and before and after any patient contact. Our infectious control numbers are reported to be some of the best in the system. They have also gone to foam hand sanitizers as they are suppose to be more effective than the pure liquid ones (not really sure of that, just taking the word of the infection control nurse).

Archived