Hometown advantage

igraf

Sure is nice embarking from my own city. Besides packing as much as I want, I can sit in front of my PC at home and watch the looooong line of passengers trying to get into the cruise terminal (at ~noon) via the San Diego harbor web cam.

I'll just sit back and mosey on over at 2pm to board. Our stateroom should all ready to go by then and I really don't need to do the Lido rush with suitcases thing again....

A hamburger by the aft pool is starting to sound good. :-)

Don't judge me too harshly, as I have always had to travel to my other embarkations.

igraf

Sure is nice embarking from my own city. Besides packing as much as I want, I can sit in front of my PC at home and watch the looooong line of passengers trying to get into the cruise terminal (at ~noon) via the San Diego harbor web cam.

I'll just sit back and mosey on over at 2pm to board. Our stateroom should all ready to go by then and I really don't need to do the Lido rush with suitcases thing again....

Don't judge me too harshly, as I have always had to travel to my other embarkations.

igraf

Sounds good to me. May hang out at my Hotel in SD on April 24 until 2:00. In no hurry to get caught up in that Lido crowd. I look forward to my hometown advantage when I return to Vancouver on the ship. Since 9/11 airports are not high on my list to linger.

Sure is nice embarking from my own city. Besides packing as much as I want, I can sit in front of my PC at home and watch the looooong line of passengers trying to get into the cruise terminal (at ~noon) via the San Diego harbor web cam. igraf

Oh wow! Now that must be sweet to leave from your own hometown. Your plan to bypass the long lines sounds smart. Enjoy that burger:D

Just booked our first cruise out of NYC in a couple of months after many cruises involving flights. We are very much looking forward to the 15 minute cab ride over to the port (and then back home) and the easy packing and on/off.

I live about 20 min. from the Port of Tampa. We have the Ryndam booked on April 11. Can't wait. We have sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami which were nice to drive to but always wanted to cruise close by.So excited!

For those of you thinking of cruising out of Tampa I say go for it. The airport is very easy to get in and out of and the port is the same way. Take a cab or park across the street. The Florida Aquarium and restaurants are in the port area. If you need a hotel they are within walking or trolly distance. Not a travel agent, just a local girl.:D

igraf

Well aren't you a brat for mentioning how close to a cruise port you live, yes we are all jealous, but I'm luncky enough to be 1 1/2 hours from SD, 1 hour from San Pedro and 40 mins from Long Beach. I've got it all covered, so there!

igraf

Come and live in Pittsburgh -- not near any cruise ports -- don't have direct flights to anywhere anymore -- not even Florida.

I don't have an enviable embarkation story, but my DH and I DO get to disembark in our home town of Port Angeles, Wa., on our upcoming Trans Canal cruise. I will pick up my suitcase, walk down the gangplank and travel the entire 2 miles to our house! Crazy. :D

Well if we cruise long enough we all have to fly at some point. I hope to plan an Alaskan cruise summer 2011 so this Florida girl will have to traverse the continent. We had not cruised Holland America before so a trip on the Ryndam was the perfect chance. I hope we will like her!

Sorry we do not live any where near any cruise ports unless you call Port Bruce on Lake Erie a cruise port. We have to fly or drive everywhere usually to a USA port of call. But when we do fly we usually do have the ability to fly directly instead of using the hub system most US based carriers tend to cling onto and enjoy. Being Canadian we usaully have to pay a premium for the US$ but not as much lately. It is currently a great bargain for us. I can feel the excitement. Colakid.

Our "hometown" port is still a 5-hour drive from here, but it is certainly do-able and much less stressful that flying anywhere. We love the Caribbean, but it takes an entire day (12 hours) to fly to FLL, and the long return flight makes for a less-than-pleasant end to a cruise.

But the downside is you still live in Arkansas.
Ouch, Arkansas is a pretty state.:)

We have three ships out of Galveston these days, two Carnival and a Whatever of the Sea during the winter season. They all sail the Western Caribe. We have cruised twice out of here on the old Grand Princess and really loved the convenience. But, there's a big world out there, and cruising is a good way to see it, so we fly off for new itineraries these days.

The "Whatever" does start a transition crossing from here which has possibilities if we had more time.

I always notice people that make wise cracks never have a profile or even have the guts to post where they live. :p

Ouch, Arkansas is a pretty state.:)

We have three ships out of Galveston these days, two Carnival and a Whatever of the Sea during the winter season. They all sail the Western Caribe.

Thanks for your kind post. :)

We have always enjoyed Galveston. We have taken two cruises on RCI. We like driving and not having to fly. We spent a couple days in the area after the cruise. I think our first trip to Galveston was in 1962. Then again in 65 when the Flagship open. We lived in west TX back then.

You must have never been here to say that! I have lived all over and west Little Rock, Hot Springs and other places around the state are as nice or better than more popular places. That is ok though, people here know they have a hidden gem!

Archived