Cheese and biscuits

As an American DW and I spent 2 weeks with my wife's Uncle Sydney in Croyden in 1982. Every night after dinner it was cheese, biscuits and port. Uncle Sydney would break out his Churchills.

Still have found memories of that trip. Now that was civilized living!

Did he prefer them over Cubans? (You guys can go. We haven't been able to since 1962.) :)

I guess the uk just loves cheese! Just looked in my fridge and we have mozerella, marscapone, ricotta , Parmesan, grated cheddar, 2 kinds mature cheddar, emmental, potted blue Stilton, French Brie, sometset Brie, Wensleydale, Camembert, port salut and Philadelphia!

Cheese and biscuits are Usually served with grapes and celery. Sometimes redcurrants and a few hotels pop in a physalis or even a fig.

STOP, PLEASE!!! You're making me hungry!:o:p:o

On Explorer a couple of years ago there was a couple at our table from the UK - she requested and received a cheese plate every night for dessert, so you definitely could get one. It looked like the one you can order from room service which we have gotten many times.

I love cheese and we had it a lot growing up. My parents aren't particularly worldly. It was never processed or came out of a tube. I think it is more common as a snack or appetizer than a dessert in the US.

When I first read the title of the thread, cheese and biscuits, I thought it would be a about southern food! :D

England and America are two countries separated by a common language. --George Bernard Shaw

Crackers = biscuits

Trucks = lorries

Umbrellas = brollies

Elevators = lifts

Rent = To Let

Sausage & potatoes = bangers & mash

Bar = pub (but only if the bar serves food)

Pissed off = off-setting

I'm just scraping the surface.

Crackers = biscuits

Trucks = lorries

Umbrellas = brollies

Elevators = lifts

Rent = To Let

Sausage & potatoes = bangers & mash

Bar = pub (but only if the bar serves food)

Pissed off = off-setting

I'm just scraping the surface.

US Race Tracks - horses run counter clock wise = UK clockwise

(missed a lot of pretty good finishes there)

US wait in line = UK on a queue

Gotta love those Weetabix ( would love to see these on RCI )

also Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bars and not M&M's but Smarties

don't forget your UK Orange Crush (not the same as US)

That's the cheese I couldn't remember - Stilton! Yum!

US Lorna Dunes = UK English Shortbreads ( from Fortnam & Mason of

course)

UK Wales Ice Cream

Actually would be a great idea for the shops on RCI ships to carry more of these items.

We're from the UK and recently back from a Serenade of the Seas cruise, which we loved. The food was generally excellent. One small winge, in the Main dining room only desserts were available, no cheese board. Neither was there a cheese board in the Windjammer at lunch or dinner. When I asked for cheese I was directed to an area with a few square slices of plastic cheese which bore no resemblance to the real thing. I prefer cheese and biscuits after my meal rather than sweet desserts.

I know it's a silly question, but do Americans not eat cheese?

RC used to offer it for dessert routinely. You should be able to ask your waiter or the maitre'd and they'll be glad to hook you up with something

Thanks for all your comments chaps. Didn't realise cheese was so interesting.

Neither did I realise I could order something that wasn't on the menu. I'll remember that if I can ever afford to cruise again. Couldn't have order it on room service, there was too mush to eat with 3 meals a day.

'Hook me up', sounds like something in a butchers' shop.

Two nations divided by a common language.

Lift - elevator

Pavement - sidewalk

Boot - trunk

Bonnet - hood

Pants - underwear

Trousers - pants

Purse - ladies wallet

Flip flops - thongs

Thongs - very small knickers with string at the back

Wash up - do the dishes

Use the bathroom - wash up

Loo - toilet

I could go on but won't.

Thanks for all your comments chaps. Didn't realise cheese was so interesting.

Neither did I realise I could order something that wasn't on the menu. I'll remember that if I can ever afford to cruise again. Couldn't have order it on room service, there was too mush to eat with 3 meals a day.

'Hook me up', sounds like something in a butchers' shop.

Two nations divided by a common language.

Lift - elevator

Pavement - sidewalk

Boot - trunk

Bonnet - hood

Pants - underwear

Trousers - pants

Purse - ladies wallet

Flip flops - thongs

Thongs - very small knickers with string at the back

Wash up - do the dishes

Use the bathroom - wash up

Loo - toilet

I could go on but won't.

Okay 3 of the above are Ones that I did Not Know about IN BOLD

Pants - underwear :confused:

That one Will Cause Confusion on the Western side of the Atlantic

Yes I know What knickers & Trousers are

Pavement - sidewalk |This one is Easy to understand

Flip flops - thongs | LOL

Flip flops - In Can & USA the Term is is used for a kind of Footware

Thongs -In Can & USA the Term is is used for a kind of Women's Underware

US Race Tracks - horses run counter clock wise = UK clockwise

(missed a lot of pretty good finishes there)

US wait in line = UK on a queue

Gotta love those Weetabix ( would love to see these on RCI )

also Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bars and not M&M's but Smarties

don't forget your UK Orange Crush (not the same as US)

That's the cheese I couldn't remember - Stilton! Yum!

US Lorna Dunes = UK English Shortbreads ( from Fortnam & Mason of

course)

UK Wales Ice Cream

Actually would be a great idea for the shops on RCI ships to carry more of these items.

Not all of our racecourses are clockwise Cheltenham is anticlockwise as are many more.

Dont let the Scots hear you say English shortbread!!

Yes- some words have very different meanings - please dont come to the Uk and use the word fanny. My teenagers giggled for weeks everytime the fannie mae bank was metioned on the news. The idea of a fanny bag as I once saw on big shop a sign in New York doesnt bear thinking about.

Old ladies will choke on their shortbread and Pimms.

Ps my fridge has a drawer labelled cheese drawer- is that common in the USA?

Actually, most nice restaurants in the Bay Area in California offer a cheese plate alternative for desert. Typically with port or other desert wines offered. We don't all eat plastic cheese, there is an artisan cheese movement going on in the US with fabulous cheeses. But probably not offered on cruise ships.

I haven't read thru this whole thread so I apologize if this is repeating someone else, but there is a pretty good selection of cheeses in the WJ for dinner, I often nibble on cheese and crackers when I take my grandson up there for his dinner so he can go to AO in the evenings while we go to MDR for late seating dinner. And I've gotten a cheese and fruit platter from room service that had a number of different cheeses on it.

But as other Americans have said, I'm not looking for cheese after dinner.

Give me all the cheese and the language differences but please

DON'T MAKE ME EAT THE VEGEMITE.

I will jump overboard first.

Definitely an acquired taste. Just the thought of it makes this American

pale in the face.

I give up. what is vegemite?:eek:

It's a nasty smelling (but popular) spread: http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/page?PagecRef=1

They sell it at Safeway and grocery stores in CA. I don't know what Nordic Prince is talking about???:rolleyes: It's an Australian food staple, not something from the UK. :) One of our friends from Australia puts it on lots of things, including toast and crackers. The smell sort of kept me away from it, it smells like a bottle of vitamins. :D

NOBODY in America has dinner and then says "hey, i want some cheese and bisquits". Nope, never gonna see it.

Not true at all. At many restaurants you will see a cheese plate on the after dinner menu. Cheese and a little desert wine? mmmm..fabulous! :cool:

Vegemite though? BLEH! Tried it once when an Aussie friend came to visit and brought some with her. NEVER.AGAIN!

Vegemite

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

250px-Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg magnify-clip.png

Vegemite on toast.

Vegemite (pronounced /ˈvɛdʒəˌmaɪt/)[1][2] or /ˈvɛdʒiˌmaɪt/ is a dark brown Australian food paste made from yeast extract. It is a spread for sandwiches, toast, crumpets and cracker biscuits, and filling for pastries such as Cheesymite scroll. It is similar to British, New Zealand, and South African Marmite and to Swiss Cenovis.

Vegemite is made from used brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing, and various vegetable and spice additives. It is salty, slightly bitter, and umami or malty — similar to beef bouillon. The texture is smooth and sticky. It is not as intensely flavoured as British Marmite and it is less sweet than the New Zealand version of Marmite.

Vegemite has not been successfully marketed in other countries, apart from New Zealand and to a lesser extent in the United Kingdom, despite being owned by US food company Kraft Foods. When seen in the United States, the Vegemite label often does not contain the Kraft logo.[citation needed]

You either hate it or love it - I am with the former!

Yes- some words have very different meanings - please dont come to the Uk and use the word fanny. My teenagers giggled for weeks everytime the fannie mae bank was metioned on the news. The idea of a fanny bag as I once saw on big shop a sign in New York doesnt bear thinking about.

Old ladies will choke on their shortbread and Pimms.

Ps my fridge has a drawer labelled cheese drawer- is that common in the USA?

I've read the term 'Fanny bag' many times on CC posts and i've cringed each time! In the UK the word 'Fanny' is used by some to describe a ladys 'private part' (know what i mean) I'm dreading hearing the term used this summer and seeing my teenagers dissolve into hysterical fits of laughter!!

Vegemite is to Aussies what peanut butter is to Americans. Neither side likes the others' "staple"!

A Floridian friend of ours got lots of peanut butter and jelly for sandwiches for her UK young friends to make when they came to stay ..they were horrified then disgusted! What a wonderful world we live in.:p

Archived