San Diego or Los Angeles to sail out of?

gsocruisers

Just did a 7 day on Carnival out of San Diego. I would compare San Diego vs. LA as the same as Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami. The airport in San Diego is only a couple miles from the cruise terminal and so are the hotels. Just like Ft. Lauderdale.

We've also done the Caribbean cruises. We are looking at doing a West Coast sailing.

We would be flying in.

Which port would you recommend? We'd love to hear comments

Thanks

Peggy

If you want to sail on an RCI ship, Mariner does weekly cruises out of San Pedro (LA).

Radiance will be doing her 11-night Ultimate Alaska cruise May 8 when she repos to Vancouver to start her north and southbound Alaska itineraries. On September 10, she will do her 14 night repo cruise back to San Diego and on September 24 she will be doing a 15 night repo cruise back to Tampa.

I never book a cruise based on it's port but rather its itinerary.

Both cities have a lot to offer, but San Diego lets you do more in a compact area than LA does. And sailaway from San Diego is simply breathtaking.

But your Royal Caribbean options are pretty limited in San Diego - Radiance will be leaving May 3 for Alaska and will only come back for one day, then leaves for Tampa. Mariner sails year round out of LA.

Both cities have a lot to offer, but San Diego lets you do more in a compact area than LA does. And sailaway from San Diego is simply breathtaking.

But your Royal Caribbean options are pretty limited in San Diego - Radiance will be leaving May 3 for Alaska and will only come back for one day, then leaves for Tampa. Mariner sails year round out of LA.

Did they change it? I thought the Ultimate Alaska repo cruise was May 8.

I live in Southern California and 45 minutes from San Pedro. I also lived in San Diego for 5 years and go there often. I really wouldn't book based on the port you leave from. I would pick the ship and itinerary you are most interested in. Are there any particular ships you are looking at?

I live in the LA area and have sailed out of Long Beach, San Pedro and San Diego numerous times. I much prefer San Diego, but I don't expect you to have the same reasons. If I sail out of either LA port, I must drive and park my car, to the tune of $98-$140 or more. If I sail out of San Diego, I take an Amtrak and walk to the pier, to the tune of $27.90 each way and no hassle. After walking to the pier in San Diego, I can stroll along the waterfront, a possibility in Long Beach but not so much in San Pedro until they once again try renovating Fisherman's Village. San Diego is just a nicer, hipper place.

San Diego was a nice, compact port to sail out of, though it was a bit of a mad house with two ships leaving the same day (and using the same terminal ... half with Carnival and have with Royal). San Pedro isn't bad though, but it will definitely be a more expensive shuttle/taxi ride to the port area and there is less to do once you are there (unless you stay or transport back to LA proper).

Definitely prefer San Diego port - we stood on the deck for 90 minutes just looking at the beautiful harbor and enjoyed the amazing sunset. Lots of incredible military aircraft to see. Would be our pick. Mary

I would choose (and actually did!) cruise out of San Diego rather than L.A. Not only is the cruise terminal in SD 10 minutes from the airport, it is in the heart of a wonderful city. I love SD and have enjoyed every single trip I've taken there. If given the choice, I'd pick SD over L.A. any day of the week...jmho, of course....:)

Karen

Well their is only one RCI ship that sails the west coast and thats the Mariner of the Seas which sails out of the port of Los Angeles. Ive have personally sailed out of the Port Of Los Angeles on the Vision of the Seas and it was a breeze getting on and off the ship.

Definitely prefer San Diego port - we stood on the deck for 90 minutes just looking at the beautiful harbor and enjoyed the amazing sunset. Lots of incredible military aircraft to see. Would be our pick. Mary

We just sailed out of San Diego and we really liked it. Have sailed out of LA also and it was okay.

Yes there are a lot of military craft to see. Among them is the USS Midway a retired aircraft carrier that is now a museum. It is within walking distance of the cruise ships and very worth while visiting.

Jan

Well their is only one RCI ship that sails the west coast and thats the Mariner of the Seas which sails out of the port of Los Angeles. Ive have personally sailed out of the Port Of Los Angeles on the Vision of the Seas and it was a breeze getting on and off the ship.

I reckon that you are not aware of the Radiance sailings :confused:

###

Did they change it? I thought the Ultimate Alaska repo cruise was May 8.

May 3 is a 5 day Mexico cruise

May 8 is 14 day the repo up to Alaska

OK, so I can't type and my eyesight sucks so that 3 and 8 look the same. What's your point?:p

Not for long...:(

I've sailed from Southern CA only once, we sailed on Carnival out of Long Beach. The night before we stayed at the Queen Mary. I really enjoyed staying in the old cruise ship and hope to stay there again if I ever cruise from that port again, you can walk across the parking lot to board the ship.

There were also a lot of RCCL folks that stayed there and then cabbed over to San Pedro.

Beth

###

The Radiance only has 5 more sailings out of San Diego. So maybe that is why he wasn't counting the Radiance???

April 12- 11 Night Mexican Riviera

Apri 23- 10 Night Mexican Riviera

May 3- 5 Night Mexican Riviera

May 8- 13 Night Ultimate Alaska

Sept 24- 15 Night Eastbound Panama Canal

Archived