Is there any reason to board super early?

If you leave at 430 then all aboard may be 2.30/3pm..... check your documents to get that right because if you're late you won't get on. People like to board asap to get the first day of the cruise under way and have lunch in the WindJammer so boarding may well start at 11am.

You ask about transfers.... from where to where?

You don't mention what port you are sailing from or the airport. You should be able to start boarding around 11:00 - 12:00. It is usually easiest to take a taxi to the port (again depends on the airport and port). A little more info and you will be given specifics.

Cheaper to rent a car. Getting there super early (11:00 - noon) is fun. You can enjoy lunch and explore. Besides, that's day one of your vacation!

I agree. You paid for the cruise, we spend as much time as we can on board. It sets the MOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!

We're flying in at 9am for a cruise that leaves at 4:30. I'm wondering what a reasonalbe time is to arrive at the port.

Also...other than not having to drive ourselves what is the advantage of transfers vs renting a car?

We have always arrived at the terminal by 11AM. We have been on board by 12 - 12:30 on all 3 of our cruises. We then head for the WJ for a quick bite to eat, make speciality restaurant reservations and then head for the DR to check out our table location to see if it is satifactory. Since this is your 1st day of the cruise we have always tried to take advantage to find our way around the ship.

Can not answer your second question as we have always driven to port.

Gregg

We're flying in at 9am for a cruise that leaves at 4:30. I'm wondering what a reasonalbe time is to arrive at the port.
For US ports, I believe you MUST be there 90 minutes prior to sailing. There have been threads here started by folks who had to stand on the pier [so to speak] and watch the ship sit there of an hour or more and not be able to board. You will hear stories of exceptions, but I wouldn't chance it. Other than that, it is preference. Generally 11 or so is the earliest you can board. We like to get there early. Lunch in the Windjammer [buffet] is one of my favorite times of the cruise. It involves that feeling of "the cruise has started" and usually we are watching friends show up that we have been waiting to see for weeks or months. The more time on the ship the better. But that is just us. Just make sure you don't get left behind. If your flight arrives at 9, by the time you get to the port, you will probably be able to start processing almost right away.

Also...other than not having to drive ourselves what is the advantage of transfers vs renting a car?

In Port Canaveral renting a car will most likely be cheaper but not easier. A one way car rental from MCO to the port is a little bit of a hassle since you can't leave the rental care right at the port. You will need to drop off the rest of your family/friends with the luggage and return the car to a property nearby and take a shuttle (free) back to the port. The same process works in reverse after the cruise.

Unless it is a very large cost savings for you OR you will be landing in Orlando a day or two before the cruise a shuttle or transfer will be a lot more convenient than a car rental.

BTW, taxi's from the airport to the port are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

By the time you get your luggage and drive to the port (it's usually just as inexpensiveor less to rent a car especially on Hotwire dot com) than transfers, drop off your luggage and turn the car in and take the shuttle back to the port it will be about 11:30 and the perfect time to board. Have lunch and check out the ship. Put on your suit and enjoy the pool. We don't like transfers because we don't like sitting at the airport waiting for the bus to get full. We'd rather be on our own time.

We just sailed out of Port Canaveral on March 28. We arrived at the port about 10:45 a.m. and were able to drop off our luggage with the porters and head inside to start the check-in process. Once we were checked in, we were directed to a group of chairs and were able to sit and wait for boarding. Boarding started at approximately 11:30 a.m.

We were able to check out the ship, have some lunch and then access our cabins. Also the mustard drill is before departure so you need to be onboard and everyone needs to report to their appropriate mustard station ON TIME.

If your flight arrives at 9:00 a.m. you will find the time from the airport to actual sailing pretty busy -- get to the port as soon as you can to enjoy some time unpacking and relaxing before dinner.

We are always cautious on boarding day. We arrive the night before, & the next morning we get to the ship ASAP, because anything can happen - flat tire/car trouble on the rental or hired transport, blocked roads...... One year I forgot to pack DH's undies!:eek: I know, he's a big boy, but I do all of the packing - that's the only mistake I have made on our many travels. Anyway, if you drive, you may need extra time for those unexpected errands!

So, we are usually the early boarders, which we prefer. If checking out the ship, or eating lunch is not your thing, pack your swim suits in your carryon & before the crowd arrives, spend the day by the pool sipping drinks :cool:, if that 'floats your boat'.

From Orlando to Port C., I think a paid transfer is the best. Rental car is too much hassle at that port - unless there is a car dropoff that I am not aware of - which if so, would make the rental a better idea.

Enjoy - & don't forget the undies!:D

The reason most like to board early is that boarding day is Day one of the cruise you've paid for...why waste 3/4 of a day NOT on the ship! You only get 1/2 a day anyway, since boarding doesn't usually start until 11am....

I vote for getting the most use from the ship as possible!

In Port Canaveral renting a car will most likely be cheaper but not easier. A one way car rental from MCO to the port is a little bit of a hassle since you can't leave the rental care right at the port. You will need to drop off the rest of your family/friends with the luggage and return the car to a property nearby and take a shuttle (free) back to the port. The same process works in reverse after the cruise.

Unless it is a very large cost savings for you OR you will be landing in Orlando a day or two before the cruise a shuttle or transfer will be a lot more convenient than a car rental.

BTW, taxi's from the airport to the port are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

We've gone out of PC twice, once we flew in the day of the cruise, rented a car, returned at the port, then all of us (4, including 2 kids) loaded our stuff on the rental car shuttle and were at the port very quickly. No hassle at all. Did the same on the return. For us it was very cost effective and easy to do.

Another time we did get into Orlando early and returned to the port instead of airport on the day of the cruise. Again, very easy to do.

If there are more than 2 of you try the rental car option it will save you in the long run. If you don't do the rental take a shuttle. On the ports of call board (east coast departures) there are recommendations for shuttle companies. Try independent shuttles first as they are usually less expensive than RCI, last resort is a taxi as it is about an hour to port!

Looks like OP is on the Freedom. It sails out of Port Canaveral. The closest airport is Orlando.
Actually, Melbourne International is the closest, Orlando's just usually the cheapest and not that much further away.

you guys are so helpful!!! Yes we are doing the FOS and flying into Orlando. We were thinking a rental car in case we need to stop at a store on the way to the port and also our return flight isn't until 9pm :(.

I have only cruised once and I don't remember being there super early BUT I have a notoriously late family LOL. I wasn't aware that you could even have lunch onboard...we will definitely be there to enjoy as much of our first day as possible.

Cheaper to rent a car. Getting there super early (11:00 - noon) is fun. You can enjoy lunch and explore. Besides, that's day one of your vacation!

Agreed, we always get on the ship as early as we can. It's part of our vacation and I want to start enjoying the ship that I'm paying to be on. You can have lunch and then start poking around the ship, or head to the pool!

I also vote, "Get on board as soon as you can!" Sure, you won't be out at sea, but your vacation will've started. I see no upside to boarding late.

The one exception might be if there is something at the port you really want to see [such as the Space Center at Cape Canaveral] and there is time to see it. But remember you cannot fudge the all aboard time.

We (a friend and I) flew into Orlando and sailed out of Port Canaveral. We did all the math and found that transfers (remember that is both ways) was cheaper than both a rental car and WAY cheaper than a taxi. But if you have more than two people, all bets are off as I have no clue. I really liked the use of transfers. We got to meet people before we boarded, was totally hassle free, and the return to the airport effortless. I have done transfers twice since.

Pamela

Tucson

Rental car is almost always going to be cheaper. Plus, like you said, you can stop and pick up any last minute items, especially now that it cost so darn much to check bags on the airlines (except Southwest :)) You first want to make sure that the rental car company offers a free shuttle to the port from their office closest to the port, and make sure you have a good map and directions to their office over there. I just reserved a rental car from Fll to Orlando on Priceline for $25+ tax for a one day, one-way rental car rental for post cruise in June.

...I would have flown in the night before; and that should be the rule unless it is absolutely impossible budgetery and time wise. If there is a problem with your flight (which is not unusual), at the least you will miss a few hours of excitement on board....and the worst..miss the ship.

Assuming you fly in on time; get there and board as soon as possible for all the reasons already given. I would take a shuttle, unless you are totally comfortable with driving yourself with a rental car; I prefer to let a professional drive; far less stress; but thats just me.

Mitch

The reason we get to the port asap is I hate to wait in long lines!

We arrived too early to board on our Alaska cruise but they did allow us to check in. When we got back later, there were LONG lines but we were able to pass the check in line and get on board.

We had to stand in a long line in San Juan in the heat, and that was the last time! We try to get on the ship early as I would rather be relaxing on the ship than standing in line.

Getting on early can be a benifit if you want to get some pictures without a ton of people in them. You can also be one of the first to book a specialty restaurant. It also helps if you want lunch in the WJ. You will beat the crowds. Gives you time to wonder around and explore the ship.

Archived