Is there any reason to board super early?

you guys are so helpful!!! Yes we are doing the FOS and flying into Orlando. We were thinking a rental car in case we need to stop at a store on the way to the port and also our return flight isn't until 9pm :(.

I have only cruised once and I don't remember being there super early BUT I have a notoriously late family LOL. I wasn't aware that you could even have lunch onboard...we will definitely be there to enjoy as much of our first day as possible.

I rented a car from Budget for about $50 and stopped at a CVS for last minute supplies. I'm not sure where the Enterprise office is located, but I think they're all on Route A1A (1A1??) so very convenient. I took private shuttle back to MCO after the cruise, but my flight was at 1:00 - with a 9pm departure you'll have plenty of time to do one of the main tourist attractions on your own.

I had flown in the night before and stayed at the Hyatt right at the airport. I got my car and was on the road about 10, got my stuff, turned it in and boarded just as they were opening up the cabins at 1:30 (this was Monarch, not Freedom). So I was able to dump my bags in the cabin. I'm another one who would rather just board when the cabins are ready so as not to have to haul my carryon around, especially since we often travel with carry-on only.

I forgot to mention if you plan on ice skating, bring heavy socks with you. You will not be allowed to get the skates with out them.

Happy sailing!

And long pants.:)

If you book a rental car, do so as soon as possible as it is cheaper (the closer you are to your date the more expensive car rentals become). Do NOT park your car at the port…book one way rentals each way. I am not paying more than $40 each way and that includes taxes. (I have booked them with 2 different companies due to pricing for our cruise coming up in November)

My suggestions is to call to check prices before you book one way rentals as not all search engines have one way rental which makes it hard to compare prices. If you use this link it will tell you what rental companies are near Port Canaveral as well as where you can refill the gas tanks. http://www.portcanaveralhotelsinsider.com/car-rental-port-canaveral.html

I have been told to make sure you ask when you book your rental car if they charge you to shuttle to the port. I know Hertz and Enterprise do not but I don't know about the others.

I hope this helps. Have a great time on your cruise! :)

:)

I have never seen a spa doing anything but tours and bookings on boarding midday.

Note: Maitre D' will not usually be available until 1 P.M.

I have also not seen the rockwall open then, but I never really went out of my way to notice.

I have also NEVER seen a concierge on duty at boarding time.

check-out, schmeck-out. It's on the honor system. Take, but replace. :)

I hope that you don't mind my notes, Meg! :)

I have heard of people being "guinea pigs" in the spa for a reduced rate, while others take the tour..."here is someone getting a facial"...that kind of thing.

Have never had to see the maitre d' myself, so was not aware of his "on duty" time

Not 100% sure but believe I have seen people climbing the rock wall.

Wasn't sure about the concierge, but if you have access, you can at least go by, get a cappucino, find out what time he WILL be there in case you need to speak to him about anything specifically.

Check out a book, take a book, whatever....pick one up to borrow however you want to word it. :)

I think you get the gist of my point though....there is PLENTY to do if you board before the stated boarding time!

:)

I Wasn't sure about the concierge, but if you have access, you can at least go by, get a cappucino, find out what time he WILL be there in case you need to speak to him about anything specifically.

You can't get access until you can get into your cabin which is where the cards are!

We're in the "get there early" club. We get to the port by 1030 and are happy to wait until it's time to board. Then it's lunch and walking around the ship, checking things out until our cabin is ready. You've paid for that first day, so why not make the most of it?

On our just completed Navigator cruise, they dropped the rope at 10:45. At 10:50 we were purchasing a soda package on the Promenade, my daughter got her muster station bracelet. We went to check out our MDR table location, checked out the gym, found a shady spot on the pool deck to chill and toured the sports deck. It was actually the only time my daughter could put her hands on a basketball. We were able to eat lunch at 12 and at 12:50, we got into our cabin. It was glorious to be literally the only ones on the ship, even if it was only for a brief few moments

Early is off my list. I now like getting there when I know I can access my room which is usually never before 1:00.

I like to drop my carry-ons off-can grab a late lunch from the WJ and bring it back to my room to avoid the frenzy if need be, if you do have CL access-your key is there and grab a quick coffee, or my personal fav-grab a drink and plop myself on the balcony and catch the view!!

If your plane arrives at 9, then by the time you pickup your luggage, get your shuttle and drive time...it would probably be time to board. There isn't much to do near Port Canaveral...unless you have a full day to go to Kennedy Space Center :) but that would take a whole day.

Archived