Is there any reason to board super early?

you guys are so helpful!!! Yes we are doing the FOS and flying into Orlando. We were thinking a rental car in case we need to stop at a store on the way to the port and also our return flight isn't until 9pm :(. quote]

Are you planning two separate one way rentals (one before the cruise, one after) or keeping one car for the week and paying the parking fees at the port? Just something else to consider as you weigh the prices of various options. I've cruised our of Port Canaveral a couple of times, but never flew in/out of MCO to do it so have no idea the cost of transfers or one way rentals between the two. Parking at most ports is usually $10-15/day.

I agree with the starting my cruise a half a day sooner, we try to be there by 11 am and on board and eating lunch by noon. Luckily we live in Florida and usually just drive to a port, I've always thought Port Canaveral was the easiest to get in and out of. This year we're doing the TA and have to fly home so I just purchased the services of my BIL to drive us to Miami.

Things to do when boarding "early":

1. explore the ship, learn your way around, find out where things are

2. eat lunch in the Windjammer

3. enjoy the pool, hot tubs, or just lounge poolside in the sun

4. indulge in "yay, I'm on vacation" cocktails at various bars onboard :D

5. sign kids up for Adventure Ocean, if applicable

6. buy wine, soda and/or water packages and get that done and over with

7. get a spa treatment

8. see the dining room maitre 'd if you need to make any changes to your dining time, table size, etc.

9. make specialty restaurant reservations

10. climb the rock wall

11. take a turn on the Flowrider, or watch others doing so (Freedom/Oasis class ships only)

12. pick up a copy of the cruise compass and read through to see what's happening that night and plan your evening accordingly

13. play putt putt, if your ship has a course

14. go inline skating, if your ship has a course

15. go to the fitness center and work out so you can have an extra dessert at dinner, or find out when classes you may be interested in will be held during the week

16. If you're D+ or in a suite, stop by the concierge lounge and introduce yourself to the concierge

17. enjoy ping pong, shuffleboard, or basketball if that's your thing

18. check a book out of the library if you forgot to bring something for poolside or bedtime reading

19. visit the excursions desk to book or confirm excursions

20. find the self serve ice cream stand and treat yourself to a cone

And there's probably more I'm forgetting!

Things to do when boarding "early":

1. explore the ship, learn your way around, find out where things are

2. eat lunch in the Windjammer

3. enjoy the pool, hot tubs, or just lounge poolside in the sun

4. indulge in "yay, I'm on vacation" cocktails at various bars onboard :D

5. sign kids up for Adventure Ocean, if applicable

6. buy wine, soda and/or water packages and get that done and over with

7. get a spa treatment

I have never seen a spa doing anything but tours and bookings on boarding midday.

8. see the dining room maitre 'd if you need to make any changes to your dining time, table size, etc.
Note: Maitre D' will not usually be available until 1 P.M.
9. make specialty restaurant reservations

10. climb the rock wall

I have also not seen the rockwall open then, but I never really went out of my way to notice.
11. take a turn on the Flowrider, or watch others doing so (Freedom/Oasis class ships only)

12. pick up a copy of the cruise compass and read through to see what's happening that night and plan your evening accordingly

13. play putt putt, if your ship has a course

14. go inline skating, if your ship has a course

15. go to the fitness center and work out so you can have an extra dessert at dinner, or find out when classes you may be interested in will be held during the week

16. If you're D+ or in a suite, stop by the concierge lounge and introduce yourself to the concierge

I have also NEVER seen a concierge on duty at boarding time.
17. enjoy ping pong, shuffleboard, or basketball if that's your thing

18. check a book out of the library if you forgot to bring something for poolside or bedtime reading

check-out, schmeck-out. It's on the honor system. Take, but replace. :)
19. visit the excursions desk to book or confirm excursions

20. find the self serve ice cream stand and treat yourself to a cone

And there's probably more I'm forgetting!

I hope that you don't mind my notes, Meg! :)

I love being one of the first ones on the ship. I take my camera and explore from top to bottom, get a fruity drink with an umbrella in it, find my dining table, have lunch in the Windjammer, and then just relax (not necessarily in that order) :D

you guys are so helpful!!! Yes we are doing the FOS and flying into Orlando. We were thinking a rental car in case we need to stop at a store on the way to the port and also our return flight isn't until 9pm :(. quote]

Are you planning two separate one way rentals (one before the cruise, one after) or keeping one car for the week and paying the parking fees at the port? Just something else to consider as you weigh the prices of various options. I've cruised our of Port Canaveral a couple of times, but never flew in/out of MCO to do it so have no idea the cost of transfers or one way rentals between the two. Parking at most ports is usually $10-15/day.

Yes i called Enterprise and got rates for a one day on arrival and departure days. No way its worth it if we had to pay port parking fees...

We prefer to board later.

The lines are usually gone and the feeding frenzy in the WJ has almost died down by then, if you need to have lunch onboard.

We have started having lunch before we board and then just go to our cabin and start relaxing once on the ship. I'm just not fond of the "rush" of pax who board and attempt to be "first" everywhere, especially if we are dragging our carryon. I've been hit in the ankles too many times with carryons attached to pax who seem to be running all over the place.:eek:

We're flying in at 9am for a cruise that leaves at 4:30. I'm wondering what a reasonalbe time is to arrive at the port.

Also...other than not having to drive ourselves what is the advantage of transfers vs renting a car?

As far as transfers vs renting a car, it is definately less expensive to get transferred. You will have to pay for the car rental as well as parking fees at the dock.

Advantages of boarding early:

You can usually access you cabin upon arrival. Carry on your bathing suit or comfortable clothes to change into. You can take advantage of the pool deck and sun.

Having lunch which is waiting for you once you board.

Checking the location of your dining table.

Exploring the ship, if you are a spa person, you can get a tour of the spa, enter for give aways and discounts.

Any special requests or changes you need, can be done early.

This is your vacation, why not start it ASAP! :cool::)

The first time I used the ship's transfers was the last time I used them. We had a 7:30 am flight from NY and arrived in Miami at 10 am. No problem getting luggage. It was 12:30 before we could board the bus because we had to wait for enough passengers to fill it and for all the luggage to be loaded. By the time we got to the port the check-in lines were long and we didn't get on the ship until almost 3:45. We were starving by that time and headed straight to the Windjammer. We got the last of the food before they took it away to prepare for the muster drill. The whole experience really put a damper on the first day of our vacation. Now we rely on private transportation to get to the port. Most of the time we cruise out of NJ now so we just drive by ourselves. But even out of Port Canaveral we hired a Limo company and got to the port nice and early. It really does make a difference in our enjoyment of our first day.

As far as transfers vs renting a car, it is definately less expensive to get transferred. You will have to pay for the car rental as well as parking fees at the dock.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. From MCO to Port Canaveral it's cheaper to rent a car, turn it in and catch a free shuttle to the port. On departure day, just do the reverse. No parking involved.

One thing that has kind of been mentioned if you read between the lines, if you get on before 1 PM you probably will NOT have access to your cabin. Meaning, anything you want before that time (swimsuit, sunscreen, etc) needs to be packed in your carry on and carried around with you.

We usually do a re-pack before boarding so that we have what we need until the luggage arrives, but is not to bulky for us to keep with us until we can get into the cabin. We are usually one of the group that is there waiting for the check in lines to open! Gotta get that vacation started ASAP.

We enjoy boarding early. We usually grab a "we're on a cruise" fruity cocktail at the Pool Bar, then head to the Windjammer for lunch. After lunch the cabins are usually available. Then we drop off our carry-ons, do some "mattress testing" ;) and explore around the ship a bit.

I have never seen a spa doing anything but tours and bookings on boarding midday.

Note: Maitre D' will not usually be available until 1 P.M.

I have also not seen the rockwall open then, but I never really went out of my way to notice.

I have also NEVER seen a concierge on duty at boarding time.

check-out, schmeck-out. It's on the honor system. Take, but replace. :)

I hope that you don't mind my notes, Meg! :)

Wow, are you a downer!!!

So what if Meg's points don't all check it out!

Just appreciate her excitement for boarding early as I do. I've boarded as early as 1030a and I'm excited to just sit in a chair and look at the ocean!

Wow, are you a downer!!!

Just appreciate her excitement for boarding early as I do. I've boarded as early as 1030a and I'm excited to just sit in a chair and look at the ocean!

I didn't take his post as a "downer" at all.

He was giving accurate info to help her out.:)

DH would sleep in the parking lot the night before a cruise if he were allowed. :D Needless to say, we get there early. We met a couple through the roll call forum last year staying at the same hotel we were so we gave them a ride to the port - they were not quite as anxious as DH to check in early. LOL

I love to get on board early, find a spot, take a deep breath and

RELAX.

I do prefer to get to the area a day early. Our first cruise we stayed near Jacksonville and I felt rushed that whole first day. I'm kind of a control freak so I do prefer to rent a car for both ways.

Wow, are you a downer!!!

I didn't take his post as a "downer" at all.

He was giving accurate info to help her out.:)

I agree with Bakincakes. Unfortunately if there are differing opinions they need to be posted. What if someone read that they could climb the rock wall when first boarding, then when they got there and found it not to be open. I would bet we would see a 'I hate RCI' thread because they were told it would be open and it wasn't.

Setting expectations is a good thing and I for one appreciate having someone's post corrected if necessary. If nothing else it helps to let me know it may not be as the first poster said.

We prefer to board later.

The lines are usually gone and the feeding frenzy in the WJ has almost died down by then, if you need to have lunch onboard.

We have started having lunch before we board and then just go to our cabin and start relaxing once on the ship. I'm just not fond of the "rush" of pax who board and attempt to be "first" everywhere, especially if we are dragging our carryon. I've been hit in the ankles too many times with carryons attached to pax who seem to be running all over the place.:eek:

What's this....... RELAXATION on Day 1 ????? Clearly, you don't get it! ;)

We agree.... relax, get on later. Actually....OP's situation doesn't allow for a lot of options since they are flying in same day. We like to fly in the day before, sleep in, ask our hotel for a late check-out..... start drinking :D, go to the pool at the hotel... and then head for the ship sometime early afternoon. This sounds more like vacation to us than hauling carry-on bags to the Windjammer! Call us crazy ! :)

What's this....... RELAXATION on Day 1 ????? Clearly, you don't get it! ;)

We agree.... relax, get on later. Actually....OP's situation doesn't allow for a lot of options since they are flying in same day. We like to fly in the day before, sleep in, ask our hotel for a late check-out..... start drinking :D, go to the pool at the hotel... and then head for the ship sometime early afternoon. This sounds more like vacation to us than hauling carry-on bags to the Windjammer! Call us crazy ! :)

Not at all - in fact, DH informed me after our last cruise that we will no longer be boarding until after the cabins are open as he hates hauling the carry-ons through the mob in the WJ. Last cruise (Explorer), cabins were not open until 1:30 p.m.

Archived