High Fiber Cereal ?

The last time we cruised on Royal the only cereals available were "Kid type" - Frosted Flakes, Rice Krispies, Fruit Loops, Corn Flakes etc. We purchased a box of a high fiber cereal in port. This time it's Mexico and I don't know what's available there.

Is the selection still the same? They had Rasin Bran, but it has lttle fiber. Do they have any adult aka high fiber cereals? We find a high fiber diet helps us stay full and not get as tempted to eat the unhealthful options.

Thanks in advance for the info -- Holland had several high fiber options... go figure! ;)

They have oatmeal and granola, but if you want something more "high-test" than that, you might just want to pack your own. A few plastic bags full won't take up much space in your suitcase.

Hi,

None of the selections (plain oatmeal included) are very high fiber. The granola still has too much sugar and the others are the ones you named.

Do you get Fiber One cereal in your area? I find it is very tasty. You could certainly bring your own and add it to whatever cereal you select for the day. You might want to take a look at the fiber-rich granola bars as well; they might be good for excursions or in port if you need a snack. I like Fiber Plus or Fiber One bars - excellent source of fiber.

Have fun. :)

Au Contraire on the oatmeal. 1/2 cup dry Oatmeal has 4 grams of fiber. This is not a lot of oatmeal. Eat a nice big bowl. The oatmeal is great because they have nice warm milk right next to it in a big ladling bowl. Yum! Now add an apple or a banana and you are cooking.

Also oatmeal cookies almost all day in the Windjammer.

1 cup of Raisin Bran 4 grams of fiber. You can easily do 2 cups.

They do have these wonderful fiber bombs called bran muffins. Of course they do have a certain amount of fat and sugar in them but you can't have everything.

You can go the fruit route - bananas coming out of your ears - and the greens - the WindJammer always have great salad bars.

You can always get extra servings of green vegetables in the dining room. Lots of nights they have asparagus and broccoli as sides. Eat the skins of the baked potatoes, that will add to the total.

However, if you want to go high test get a box of Kashi Go Lean High Protein High Fiber cereal and bring it onboard with you. 10 grams of fiber in a 1 cup serving. Better make sure that power flushie has the lid on tight!

For the really hard core (usually reserved for HAL) bring your Metamucil packets with you.

To NordicPrince,

I appreciate your comments. For myself as a diabetic, I am watching carbs and sugars. Cereals such as Rice Krispies and even Cheerios are moderate to high on the glycemic index, which means they are not a good choice for me. Oatmeal, while it does contain some fiber, is also not a good choice because of all the carbs; I'd eat too many carbs in oatmeal, and even in fruit, trying to get my fiber. Two cups of Raisin Bran cereal would raise my blood sugar way too high.

I choose to add 1/2 cup high fiber cereal to 1/2 cup of another cereal. I also eat ground flax seed every day and I will take a high fiber bar as a snack in the afternoon.

So yeah. That's a slice of my life. :)

I have lost over 40 pounds in part by paying attention to things like fiber content of foods. Eating foods high in fiber was a big part of my lifestyle change I made in my weight loss eating plan. An added benefit was my cholesterol went from over 200 to my recent test last month of 157. If you didn't know there are 2 types of fiber, soluble and insoluble. Insoluble fiber gives you bulk and soluble fiber helps to lower blood cholesterol and regulate glucose levels. For more information on the benefits of adding fiber to your diet look at this web site http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033 .

If you look at the nutritional facts of Post Raisin Bran http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/7280/2 you will it has a fair amount of fiber at 7 grams. It doesn't give what type of fiber but I would suspect it is mostly insoluble. If you add a medium banana http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2 you will get an additional 3 grams of fiber for a total of 10. If you add a 1/2 cup of skim milk you will have a filling breakfast of 332 calories and 10 grams of fiber.

The best way to fiber to your diet is through eating whole foods because of the nutritional benefits but if you can take fiber supplements. All Bran 10gr fiber, Benefiber 3gr fiber, and Metamucil 3gr fiber make convenient flavored drink packets you add to water. Benefiber and Metamucil also make an unflavored fiber supplement that dissolves easily in your drinks or cereal. Metamucil Fiber Sure gives you 5gr of fiber per teaspoon. This product does not come in packets that I know of so if you don't want to pack the container you could easily put a dose in a disposable pill pouch yourself for handy use while traveling.

Shak

We're Kashi people and it's already in the packing room

I have lost about 40 pounds and have a long way to go. High fiber is one of the things that helps.

We did a 15 day Holland America cruise last October and I gained no weight. I walked about 20,000 steps a day and tried not to get carried away. They had many versions of freshly made Eggs Benedict at the buffet. I ate my fruit and All-Bran or one of the other selections of high fiber cereal and passed on it.

The rest of the day I ate pretty normally including too many stops at the ice cream stand. (hard ice cream that is scooped all afternoon). DW and I always shared a plate of steamed vegetables along with our dinner entrées. I was very pleased with myself, especially since the food was outstanding, every bit as the best we’ve had on Celebrity. (which surprising also doesn’t offer high fiber cereal)

The world is starting to catch on – packed in our Sunday paper last week was a little sample box of what used to be called Sugar Pops – they were unveiling the fact that they added 3 grams of fiber. It’s not much, but probably a lot more than it had before!

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived