Travel Documents...Help?

mymel

My family will be using birth certificates and picture ID as our travel documents. Should we make 2 certified copies of each(one to keep on ship, one to take off ship)? Do we need to take these documents when we get off the ship at the Mexico ports? Also I have what is called a birth card not birth certificate it is a certified copy is it ok to use??????:confused:

My family will be using birth certificates and picture ID as our travel documents. Should we make 2 certified copies of each(one to keep on ship, one to take off ship)? Do we need to take these documents when we get off the ship at the Mexico ports? Also I have what is called a birth card not birth certificate it is a certified copy is it ok to use??????:confused:

As long as it is a state issued BC or BCard....with a state seal on it you will be OK... just make sure it is NOT something that came from the hospital as that is not proper proof of citizenship.

No need to take copies of the BC with you off the ship at all. Just a photo ID and your S & S card will be all that is required.

Be advised that if you had to catch a flight to return home during the cruise or catch a flight to catch up with the ship in the event you missed the ship when departing from a foreign port of call, you will be unable to fly w/out a Passport Book......BC's will not be sufficient to fly back/re-enter the USA.

I have a birth card also and it has a raised seal, but, I DO NOT think that is sufficient to cruise-please either get an actual certificate or call your cruiseline-I would hate for you to be left at the port!...Maureen.P>S> If they say it is OK, have them email you that it is OK, so you can take that email to the peir with you...Maureen

My husband used the birth card on our first cruise without any problems. It was also sufficient for him to get a passport. For a child't passport, you are required to have the long form, so I would be uncomfortable using the card to cruise with a child.

Not to sound like a doomsayer, buuuut...if there's any way to get passports, they're your best bet. We got ours before our 1st cruise 3 years ago, and use them even when we're not cruising. If you're not on a ship sponsered excursion and somethings keeps you from getting to the ship before it leaves, you'll be in a pickle.

Now, on a different note...who are you sailing? I'm thinking that you may be sailing the same day as us, and since you're in LA, are you on the Triumph?:)

As long as it is a state issued BC or BCard....with a state seal on it you will be OK... just make sure it is NOT something that came from the hospital as that is not proper proof of citizenship.

No need to take copies of the BC with you off the ship at all. Just a photo ID and your S & S card will be all that is required.

Be advised that if you had to catch a flight to return home during the cruise or catch a flight to catch up with the ship in the event you missed the ship when departing from a foreign port of call, you will be unable to fly w/out a Passport Book......BC's will not be sufficient to fly back/re-enter the USA.

Ummm...all the documentation I read in prep for our Mexican Riviera cruise said we had to have passports or the special enhanced driver's license (and CO doesn't issue them).

yes it has the seal but its kinda old....lol issue was in the 70's. but its the original .

I would maybe take it to a local passport issuing agency and see if it will work. My Husband went to apply for his passport, and they told him his birth cert. was TOO OLD (turned 40 yesterday...original, state issued BC with raised seal) We were originally not going to get passports, but decided to play it safe...I am SO glad we did...can you imagine getting to port and finding out the Birth Certificate wouldn't suffice?:eek: Maybe a passport office will look at what you have and let you know if you can cruise with it.

I would maybe take it to a local passport issuing agency and see if it will work. My Husband went to apply for his passport, and they told him his birth cert. was TOO OLD (turned 40 yesterday...original, state issued BC with raised seal) We were originally not going to get passports, but decided to play it safe...I am SO glad we did...can you imagine getting to port and finding out the Birth Certificate wouldn't suffice?:eek: Maybe a passport office will look at what you have and let you know if you can cruise with it.

Too old? That's very odd, and I don't quite understand it. I am not sure anyone in a passport office, and most people just submit their passport applications at a post office, would give you any advice about documentation needed to cruise.

Too old? That's very odd, and I don't quite understand it. I am not sure anyone in a passport office, and most people just submit their passport applications at a post office, would give you any advice about documentation needed to cruise.

That's what they told him...we thought it was odd too. Once he got a new copy of his birth cert, they used that with no problems. When he went back that time, the guy in front of him had the same problem he had at first. What struck us as odd, was he used it to get out marriage license without a problem, as well as travel to the Bahamas, back before you needed a passport.(all of that was pre-9/11, so not sure if that made a difference) Either way, we are SO GLAD that we decided to get passports, rather than show up to the ship and not be allowed to board.

My husband used what we thought was a certified birth certificate to go back and forth to Canada and a cruise.Customs always accepted it with no questions.Went this past Monday to get a passport and they would not accept it.Had to get a "real" certified one.I thought I also read on here where someone tried using the b.c. card and they would not accept it.Not sure though.I would try and get an answer from a government/passport agency just to make sure.

Ummm...all the documentation I read in prep for our Mexican Riviera cruise said we had to have passports or the special enhanced driver's license (and CO doesn't issue them).
What you read was either incorrect or incomplete. TRY HEREand go to the 4th paragraph down, titled "Closed Loop" Cruises.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been corrected (and I wish I had known before I paid big money for passports). You don't need a passport on a closed loop cruise. Hope all have a safe and wonderful trip!!!!

Archived