Pinnacle Grill with Children

Venicegal

We will be sailing on the Oosterdam on 5/30 to Alaska with our 11 month old grandson. We would like to have a nice family dinner at the Pinnacle Grill, but I'm a little nervous about taking our grandson. He is very well behaved, but he is only 11 months old. We would definetly take him out if he was making any noise. Should I make the reservation?

Why not try to get an on-board babysitter? The women from the Front Desk might be available to earn an extra income. They've been known to do that.

Make arrangements early in the cruise for that, and cancel your Pinnacle reservation if there's no one to sit.

I wouldn't but I'm known to be very cautious.

I have a 21 month old myself and we cruised when she was 15 months. We had my DM with us (what a blessing it was! :)). Now of course 15 months is different than 11 months and children are different but based on my experience you cannot expect an infant/toddler to behave well (be quiet and stay put) for two hours. Try 20 minutes. :D I cannot remember how many times we sat down, we ordered, I, DH or DM left somewhere with DD and came back when food was at the table, tried to eat and after ten minutes one of us had to leave with DD as she was getting really restless. Luckily we had butler service included in our suite (this was not HAL) so the dining room/special restaurant always called our butler who brought the remainder of the food to the cabin to the unlucky person who had to leave early.

At home we have no problem with our DD - she sits nicely with us at the dinner table for the duration of the meal but as soon as it's a new place with interesting new things to see it seems totally impossible to make her sit down for the duration of the meal.

So IMHO the Pinnacle is not a place for an infant/toddler. Not only do I think that it's quite unlikely for an infant/toddler to be able to behave well for the duration of the meal but I think that it also creates stress for the parents.

We love children, but I would not bring an 11-month old into the Pinnacle. It is quite elegant and upscale, and folks usually go there for a quiet meal away from the MDR, or to celebrate a special occasion, etc. I have not seen any babies or toddlers in the Pinnacle in all our times dining there - I don't believe they even have high chairs available.

Ruth C offered an excellent suggestion in checking our the availability of an on-board sitter for a couple of hours if you choose to make a reservation at the Pinnacle. Why not try that?

When our oldest son was 9 months old, we took him to the fancy restaurant on NCL. We kept him quietly entertained, but about 15 minutes in, he fussed a little. So I took him out of the restaurant, and was able to quickly bounce him to sleep - and he slept through the rest of the meal, so we had a very enjoyable experience. I have a photo of the waitress cutting my filet for me, because I was holding our baby with one arm and eating with the other hand!

It really depends on your grandchild... but that was our experience at a similar age.

We will be sailing on the Oosterdam on 5/30 to Alaska with our 11 month old grandson. We would like to have a nice family dinner at the Pinnacle Grill, but I'm a little nervous about taking our grandson. He is very well behaved, but he is only 11 months old. We would definetly take him out if he was making any noise. Should I make the reservation?

I personally see no reason why you can't bring him into the Pinnacle Grill as long as you do take him out if he starts disturbing other passengers.

When children are younger than the age of reasoning, you just never know how long they will be able to sit still (and often don't know when they are older either). The Pinnacle is meant to be leisurely dining. So I wouldn't do it. I've only seen one toddler in a high chair in the Pinnacle and it wasn't pleasant, nor was the mess on the floor from all the snacks etc. thrown off his tray.

Despite everyone's best intentions, most often the time when parents or grandparents take a noisy toddler out of a restaurant is far different from what other diners think should have been the time. :eek:

If you would like to try this, I would suggest you get the earliest reservation they have. This is usually when they are the least busy. I would also inform your server that you would like your food served as quickly as possible. There is usually a delay between courses that you might be able to avoid. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

My 11 month old did fine for 5 dinners in the MDR on our last cruise. The other nights we did the Lido and Canaletto. The worst night was the Lido surprisingly. I am not sure if it was as long as 2 hours. We had our own table and they served us fairly quickly. I think it just depends on the temperment of your grandchild. I think being prepared to leave is a good thing, that way your are not flustered or disappointed. We did lunch in the Pinnacle Grill instead of dinner. That may be an option if you just want to try it out.

Please take the suggestion of getting a baby sitter. You will enjoy your meal more with the stress removed and all the diners around you will enjoy theirs. I mean this in the kindest way because I adore babies, but when I am all dressed up and have paid extra money to enjoy a special, relaxing meal, I do not want to be seated next to a baby in a high chair. They just can't manage a two hour plus meal without being disruptive.

Now if I were to sit next to a baby in the Lido at lunch I would be the first one to ask if I could hold it and make a big fuss over it. :)

Thanks for all of your answers. I think we'll probably just go in shifts and take turns watching the baby. That way my son and daughter-in-law can have a nice dinner while we watch the baby. Is there anyway to know which nights will be the formal nights? Our first full day is at sea and the 2nd day we will be in Glacier Bay. I'm assuming that one of these nights will be a formal night. Thanks again!

Personally, I wouldn't have brought my DS to dinner in the PG at 11 months. I think getting a sitter is the best option. We did cruise with him at that age and had great adult late dinners in the MDR while he slept in his stroller at the table. Never a peep. :-) It just would have made me too nervous to take him to the steakhouse. It wouldn't have been fun for me, but his grandma probably would have thought it was fine. :eek:

We will be on the same sailing as you and eating at the PG too. You won't see me complain if you do bring him, but it sounds like you decided against that. I would just be happy knowing that I wouldn't be the one who would have to get up and leave. :) DS (3) will not be joining us at the PG either.

I believe that the formal nights on our cruise will be the first sea day and the night of Ketchican, however, I'm not positive. I still have my son's tux from when he was 11 months. If your grandson would like to borrow it for formal night, let me know and I can bring it with. The pictures of my son in the tux at 11 months were precious, if I do say so myself. :D

Jam82 - Thanks for the offer to bring your son's tux. That is so sweet of you, but his Mother has already bought him a tux for formal night. This is their first cruise to Alaska so they are really excited. Should be interesting with an 11 month old with us!

Make sure you get his pictures done before dinner. He will look so cute. Our son was 11 months on his first cruise and it was a learning experience, but we figured it out. He is now 3 and this will be his 11th cruise, so you can see we like it. Glad to know that there will be another little guy on board. Our roll call is coming along, stop by and join it.

The best suggestion I ever read on the Family board was to pack the kid's clothes in ziplock baggies by outfit and label each day, including all pieces and socks. It works great, keeps the clothes wrinkle free and you can use the baggies for dirty diapers after you take the clothes out.

We recently saw a small child, approx 10 - 12 months in the Pinnacle Grill with family. I have never felt so bad for the Mother as I did that night, she kept having to get up with him, walk him and when asleep keep rocking him. She actually ate standing up while rocking the sleeping child. I think it is best not to bring children into the Pinnacle, not only for the childs sake but the parents as well. I agree use a babysitting sertvice for this evening. It is too long and too taxing on a child to sit still so long! I know I would not bring a child to the Pinnacle Grill at dinner time. Perhaps for lunch it would be OK, but not dinner.

I'm with the concensus here - the PG really isn't a suitable place for such a young child. Even if your grandson behaves like a perfect angel it won't be a comfortable or relaxing experience for you or the other diners, especially those who have gone to the PG specifically to get away from their own (and others') kids for a couple of precious hours of grown up peace and quiet. If his parents are reluctant to organise a babysitter and need him with them (or you) at all times then your idea of dining in "shifts" is really the only alternative. This is another example of how cruising with very young children isn't always practical but that's another debate :cool:

Thanks for all of your answers. I think we'll probably just go in shifts and take turns watching the baby. That way my son and daughter-in-law can have a nice dinner while we watch the baby.

Hi, just wanted to say that your thought about going in shifts is a great one. I'm 100% sure that your son and daughter-in-law would be extremely happy to have a nice "baby free" dinner for two while on cruise. I can tell you that the two "adult dinners" we had while on our cruise when my DM watched our child were just fantastic. DH and I love our child more than anything but sometimes it is just so nice to have a quiet meal with just each other. :)

I personally also would not object someone else having a small child/baby in the PG but as I know what it would most likely be for the parents (and usually the mother) I would not suggest it to anyone. :o

Could the constant coming and going and settling baby into high chair and then removing and then coming back and settling etc be disruptive to diners sitting nearby? It also proably wrecks havoc with the stewards smooth service to all his/her tables. If has to guess when is a good time to get your entrees to the table, is it effecting how well he is serving his other guests? Just questions. I don't know the answers.

I'm with Ruth on this one -- try to get a baby sitter from the front office.

The Pinnacle Grill is not the place for a child so young.

Well I dont know about you people,but not everyone willing to levae a 11 m.o with strange person and not every 11 m.o will stay with strange person)

:confused:Our DD was 1.3 on hwr firs cruise on HAL,she was going with us to any place on shore ,but she did not like MDR:confused: we tried 2 times and she did not wonna sit for 15 min even(so we end up eating in buffet;) so dont count to much on it ,its different when you cruise with baby:D

Could the constant coming and going and settling baby into high chair and then removing and then coming back and settling etc be disruptive to diners sitting nearby? It also proably wrecks havoc with the stewards smooth service to all his/her tables. If has to guess when is a good time to get your entrees to the table, is it effecting how well he is serving his other guests? Just questions. I don't know the answers.

How often parents/family members have to take a fussy child out of the dining room is certainly disruptive to other guests. Just a few weeks ago, my husband and I had date night, and unfortunately, the host sat us next to a table with 6 adults and one infant in a high chair. Although the infant was well-behaved and relatively quiet, it was the adults, constantly getting up and picking the baby up out of the high chair and taking turns holding him and fussing over him that was bothersome. The baby talk, the constant bumping into our chairs, almost knocking over the waiter a time or two, trying to feed the baby something he didn't want and the baby spitting it out... All for a child who was being good in the first place. Not our best date night. And not what we wanted to deal with at a nice place for an 8 o'clock reservation.

I can handle situations like that in the MDR or the Lido, sure. But when I'm paying extra for an up-scale dinner and experience in the Pinnacle, not my first choice to dine with an infant.

But that's just me.

Now if the Pinnacle had a private room, that would be a great option. But I'm pretty sure the PG doesn't have that, right?

How often parents/family members have to take a fussy child out of the dining room is certainly disruptive to other guests. Just a few weeks ago, my husband and I had date night, and unfortunately, the host sat us next to a table with 6 adults and one infant in a high chair. Although the infant was well-behaved and relatively quiet, it was the adults, constantly getting up and picking the baby up out of the high chair and taking turns holding him and fussing over him that was bothersome. The baby talk, the constant bumping into our chairs, almost knocking over the waiter a time or two, trying to feed the baby something he didn't want and the baby spitting it out... All for a child who was being good in the first place. Not our best date night. And not what we wanted to deal with at a nice place for an 8 o'clock reservation.

I can handle situations like that in the MDR or the Lido, sure. But when I'm paying extra for an up-scale dinner and experience in the Pinnacle, not my first choice to dine with an infant.

But that's just me.

Now if the Pinnacle had a private room, that would be a great option. But I'm pretty sure the PG doesn't have that, right?

It's not just you. I think the baby is way too young to be in the Pinnacle Grill. It's too much to ask of a child that age....and it's disruptive to the patrons that paid for an upscale experience.

Archived