Pinnacle Grill with Children

Venicegal

The best idea was to eat in shifts. The grandparents get to watch the baby while the parents have a relaxing meal together. Then the grandparents get their turn. Not necessary to leave the baby with a stranger, or worry about the waiters or other diners being disturbed. It's a win win situation.

Not a good idea. The taking turns sounds like a better solution.

Taking turns was exactly what I meant above by eating in shifts. I thought I made it clear that the parents would eat alone while grandparents watched the baby.

Have you considered booking Pinnacle on different nights, i.e. one night for the parents and one night for the grandparents? That way, neither party would have to rush through dinner which makes for a much more enjoyable meal. We take our kids everywhere and have for several years...but we had a moratorium on restaurants that started around 11 months and lasted until 2.5 years of age.

On a side note, our parents were absolute LIFE SAVERS to us when our kids were the age of your grandchild. It was such a blessing to be able to get away as a couple without having to worry about the little ones. Your child and spouse are lucky that you can and are willing to help them. It is really a wonderful blessing.

Have a great trip.

Taking turns was exactly what I meant above by eating in shifts. I thought I made it clear that the parents would eat alone while grandparents watched the baby.

Sorry, I think I worded it wrong, I liked your idea of the shifts and not taking the baby to the restraunt.

We are very respectful parents to others that are around us during flights, dining out, pool area, really in any public area (including playgrounds). Our kids are used to dining out & typically are outstanding. Have we had the occasional time where we have to take them out?(yes-- but rare to non existent) but if we did we would not repeatedly come back & forth & disturb others. I have had plenty of meals that did not end optimally as I would have wished due to obnoxious adults at the next table over being loud, with foul language and constantly complaining about their dining experience. Also being rude & disrespectful to the staff, etc. In all of these cases I can also argue that I have paid $$ or premium for the upper scale dining experience and should not be subjected to those people on a night where we were trying to have an enjoyable evening/dining experience out. We have in fact removed our family once before due to the repeated foul language at a table within ear range of us as I did not find it acceptable for our child. We have sat for 2+ hours at meals with our children & they have been well behaved. I don;t take offense to the looks that people have on their faces when they see the table and quietly ask to be seated elsewhere. we all have different preferences-- there are times where I just want to be sat at a table for 2- have my meal & move along vs chatting with other cruisemates. We have also had many wonderful meals dining w/ others. We were approached multiple times our last cruise by couples that were seated near us re: how great our kids were & that we were outstanding parents. One lady came up to say she & her husband requested to sit somewhere else when they were shown to our table and that she thought after seeing us have our meal that they should have sat with us & that the kids were great. Same looks happen on flights- at the conclusion of a 5hr flight to Hawaii another guest in 1st class came up to me & said she was disappointed initially to see us sitting in the row with her and was dreading the 5hrs-- but our kids were great & she wished a great time on our holiday. We plan to dine at the PG next cruise w/ kids in tow & hopefully they will continue to be well mannered but we always know that best intentions may not turn out & our dining experience might be concluded for one of us that evening. We desire to have an excellent cruise as well but won't obtain this at the expense of other guests.

Could the constant coming and going and settling baby into high chair and then removing and then coming back and settling etc be disruptive to diners sitting nearby? It also proably wrecks havoc with the stewards smooth service to all his/her tables. If has to guess when is a good time to get your entrees to the table, is it effecting how well he is serving his other guests? Just questions. I don't know the answers.

I think most servers know how to work around a high chair, wheelchair, etc. When I am having a "nice dinner" I am not so concerned about the people next to me, I am focused on my company. If they knock my chair every time they get up that is one thing, but if someone gets up often that would not bother me. I don't think any parent expects the server to hold dinner while they step away with the baby-at least I don't.

Well I dont know about you people,but not everyone willing to levae a 11 m.o with strange person and not every 11 m.o will stay with strange person)

I am with you Golden...I am not willing to trust my little one with people who are essentially strangers to them and me. They are alone in my cabin, no accountability with others around or other parents coming and going. "Just get a babysitter" is not really an easy option for some parents.

We are very respectful parents to others that are around us during flights, dining out, pool area, really in any public area (including playgrounds). Our kids are used to dining out & typically are outstanding. Have we had the occasional time where we have to take them out?(yes-- but rare to non existent) but if we did we would not repeatedly come back & forth & disturb others. I have had plenty of meals that did not end optimally as I would have wished due to obnoxious adults at the next table over being loud, with foul language and constantly complaining about their dining experience. Also being rude & disrespectful to the staff, etc. In all of these cases I can also argue that I have paid $$ or premium for the upper scale dining experience and should not be subjected to those people on a night where we were trying to have an enjoyable evening/dining experience out. We have in fact removed our family once before due to the repeated foul language at a table within ear range of us as I did not find it acceptable for our child. We have sat for 2+ hours at meals with our children & they have been well behaved. I don;t take offense to the looks that people have on their faces when they see the table and quietly ask to be seated elsewhere. we all have different preferences-- there are times where I just want to be sat at a table for 2- have my meal & move along vs chatting with other cruisemates. We have also had many wonderful meals dining w/ others. We were approached multiple times our last cruise by couples that were seated near us re: how great our kids were & that we were outstanding parents. One lady came up to say she & her husband requested to sit somewhere else when they were shown to our table and that she thought after seeing us have our meal that they should have sat with us & that the kids were great. Same looks happen on flights- at the conclusion of a 5hr flight to Hawaii another guest in 1st class came up to me & said she was disappointed initially to see us sitting in the row with her and was dreading the 5hrs-- but our kids were great & she wished a great time on our holiday. We plan to dine at the PG next cruise w/ kids in tow & hopefully they will continue to be well mannered but we always know that best intentions may not turn out & our dining experience might be concluded for one of us that evening. We desire to have an excellent cruise as well but won't obtain this at the expense of other guests.

Great post, we have the same thoughts regarding the behavior of our children. I think maybe a nice compromise for the PG would be to have a family hour from 6-8 when families can dine there comfortably. Others can make reservations that time, but they can expect families during that time too. Families would not have to dine only during that time, but it would be a more family friendly time. Parents like an upscale experience too!

Great post, we have the same thoughts regarding the behavior of our children. I think maybe a nice compromise for the PG would be to have a family hour from 6-8 when families can dine there comfortably. Others can make reservations that time, but they can expect families during that time too. Families would not have to dine only during that time, but it would be a more family friendly time. Parents like an upscale experience too!

I don't think this would work to well on HAL since there aren't many children generally on HAL. I like to eat early so does that mean I would have to wait until 8 to eat? I'm not saying that your child(ren) is (are) not well behaved but I don't see many people post saying their kids are holy terrors. I was having dinner out one night when someones child screamed so loud that the server jumped. To me, that is not acceptable behavior.

I don't think this would work to well on HAL since there aren't many children generally on HAL. I like to eat early so does that mean I would have to wait until 8 to eat? I'm not saying that your child(ren) is (are) not well behaved but I don't see many people post saying their kids are holy terrors. I was having dinner out one night when someones child screamed so loud that the server jumped. To me, that is not acceptable behavior.

:D I was thinking the same thing. Just once I'd love to see a post saying "my kid is no angel and would only be considered well-behaved compared to juvenile detention detainees, can we take her to the Pinnacle?"

:D I was thinking the same thing. Just once I'd love to see a post saying "my kid is no angel and would only be considered well-behaved compared to juvenile detention detainees, can we take her to the Pinnacle?"

:D LOL........... I'm sure all CC'ers children are wonderfully behaved and, honestly, most of the kids we see on HAL behave fine. We've had very little inconvenience or disturbance from kids but it's true...

When do we ever read "my kid is a holy terror and not fit for adult company when he's in 'one of his snits'. " :)

Did any parent ever raise a kid that never misbehaved and disturbed others or embarrassed Mom and Dad in public? Let's try for realism. :)

You and I always seem to be on the same wave length. I always enjoy reading your posts:).

To the recent posters, we can all go back and forth on this one. Parents say my children are angels, and everyone without children says how terrible the children are/won't make it through a dinner and keep them away. I think a lot of parents just want to let you guys know that each kid and family is different. Most people respond to let folks know that there are kids who actually can make it through a two hour meal. We are not wearing rose colored glasses here....I am actually concerned my 2 year old is not going to do well in the DR pn my upcoming cruise. She is not the same temperment as my five year old and I would not be surprised if its just me and my oldest most nights for dinner and DH and other DD off to the Lido.

BUT, the Pinnacle Grill! I am with those who suggest that you not bring a baby into the Pinnacle. It is a special night for those who choose to celebrate, get away from their own children, and have a romantic and lovely evening.

To the recent posters, we can all go back and forth on this one. Parents say my children are angels, and everyone without children says how terrible the children are/won't make it through a dinner and keep them away. I think a lot of parents just want to let you guys know that each kid and family is different. Most people respond to let folks know that there are kids who actually can make it through a two hour meal. We are not wearing rose colored glasses here....I am actually concerned my 2 year old is not going to do well in the DR pn my upcoming cruise. She is not the same temperment as my five year old and I would not be surprised if its just me and my oldest most nights for dinner and DH and other DD off to the Lido.

I've got three girls - 9, 5, and 2. My oldest is an angel, always has been. Since her birth we have taken her all over and she was always content to sit quietly, sometimes for a couple of hours, and just be quiet. We thought we had this parenting thing licked! Then came my wonderful Sweet Caroline... what's the line? She can make a juvenile delinquent look well behaved? She is a good and sweet natured kid until she hits a snit. She's never had a tantrum in public but she will get moody and generally unpleasant to be around. Now to my baby girl. She is my only child to ever have a tantrum in public. Jesus Mary and Joseph can this girl scream when she wants to! They are all great kids and I love them all equally. However, I don't want to dine at the Pinnacle Grill with any of them and they're my children! I can understand why someone would look annoyed if I walked in with my little ones. It's not the place for kids, and yes, there are places where kids just don't belong. This is a formal setting where you know adults are going with the expectation of a quiet atmosphere. Some things come with age, and this is a privilege which should be reserved for an older child, not a toddler or preschooler. You can teach a child to behave at IHOP or the Outback as well as you can teach them to behave at Morton's. When they're older they'll appreciate Morton's. For now, the MDR seems like a great place for the kids to dine.

I've got three girls - 9, 5, and 2. My oldest is an angel, always has been. Since her birth we have taken her all over and she was always content to sit quietly, sometimes for a couple of hours, and just be quiet. We thought we had this parenting thing licked! Then came my wonderful Sweet Caroline... what's the line? She can make a juvenile delinquent look well behaved? She is a good and sweet natured kid until she hits a snit. She's never had a tantrum in public but she will get moody and generally unpleasant to be around. Now to my baby girl. She is my only child to ever have a tantrum in public. Jesus Mary and Joseph can this girl scream when she wants to! They are all great kids and I love them all equally. However, I don't want to dine at the Pinnacle Grill with any of them and they're my children! I can understand why someone would look annoyed if I walked in with my little ones. It's not the place for kids, and yes, there are places where kids just don't belong. This is a formal setting where you know adults are going with the expectation of a quiet atmosphere. Some things come with age, and this is a privilege which should be reserved for an older child, not a toddler or preschooler. You can teach a child to behave at IHOP or the Outback as well as you can teach them to behave at Morton's. When they're older they'll appreciate Morton's. For now, the MDR seems like a great place for the kids to dine.

Erin,

Thanks for one of the more honest posts I've ever read! You are spot-on and your post, almost verbatim, echoes the things that my mom taught me and my sister when we were young children and asked, "But - why can't WE go, too?"

Her reply to that question was that children were not always able to do "grown-up" things, and that when we grew up and had our own children, we would understand and appreciate that fact. Well - we did (grow up) we did ( have our own children) and we do ( appreciate that fact!).

Thanks again for re-kindling a fond memory of a great lesson learned from my wonderful mom!

:D

Did any parent ever raise a kid that never misbehaved and disturbed others or embarrassed Mom and Dad in public? Let's try for realism. :)

I am raising 2 angels right now that misbehave, disturb others and embarrass us in public weekly. I am crazy in love with my kids (and for the most part they are really good) but I wouldn't want to take them to the Pinnacle because they would bother me!

I think the OP has gotten some good suggestions here. I really wouldn't be bothered by a well behaved child in the Pinnacle, but my tolerance level for kid noise is pretty high. I am really sensitive to adults that misbehave, but that's another thread.icon7.gif

YES - make a reservation and take him. You know your family members and your grandson better than we do. I would suggest though that if it appears that he is not wanting to dine in the Pinnacle you can take turns walking with him. As long as you know this ahead of time it won't be a problem. And...if you have a really busy day he might sleep through the meal. I imagine the Pinnacle staff will be delighted to have you!!!! Cherie

.............I don't think anyone would mind kids in the Lido or even the MDR but the Pinnacle is different.

Did you forget that thread about four months or so ago when, merely the sight of a mom wheeling a stroller containing a perfectly quiet and content bebe into the MDR, was enough to start a barrage of flaming arrows?

Did you forget that thread about four months or so ago when, merely the sight of a mom wheeling a stroller containing a perfectly quiet and content bebe into the MDR, was enough to start a barrage of flaming arrows?

I will never forget that. :eek: There was one particular poster who proudly professed she was "intolerant" of babies in strollers in the MDR and went on to say (in more or less words) that if looks could kill, hers would if she saw one in there.

I have read many over-the-top posts on the CC boards, but this one is etched in my memory forever.

I must have missed that one........

I will never forget that. :eek: There was one particular poster who proudly professed she was "intolerant" of babies in strollers in the MDR and went on to say (in more or less words) that if looks could kill, hers would if she saw one in there.

I have read many over-the-top posts on the CC boards, but this one is etched in my memory forever.

On my last HAL cruise in Oct. my table mates were quite annoyed by the many babies (with parents) at the table below us in the dining room every night. They thought it was quite noisy and it was a little noticable but not out of control by any means. I've had way worse experiences in Calgary. I guess some people are more intolerent then others. I'd be happy if a day went by without someone posting something over the top:D.

Archived