Are Azamara ships sailing full?

Erica@cruisecritic

We are going on the Athens to Istanbul cruise in June. Unfortunately, I had never heard of open jaw round trip tickets. It's too late for us now, but I would like to know for in the future how to get this type of ticket. Do you deal directly with the airlines? We bought our tickets through discounters.

We are going on the Athens to Istanbul cruise in June. Unfortunately, I had never heard of open jaw round trip tickets. It's too late for us now, but I would like to know for in the future how to get this type of ticket. Do you deal directly with the airlines? We bought our tickets through discounters.

Your travel agent or discounter should have been able to offer you an open jaw ticket (into one city, out of another). They are quite common when you fly into Europe and want to travel around.

The best advise is to give your TA the exact itinerary you want and see what they come up with. And as with anything else it pays to shop around!

Airline ticket brokers (is that what you mean by discounters?) will sell only RT tickets as a rule. Everyone else can sell you an open jaw ticket (i.e. airline itself, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc). Open jaw tickets are usually the same (or similar) price as RT, as long as both destinations are reasonably close to each other (on the same continent) and involve the same airline.

I believe this is correct - if not, someone please correct me.

We often book open jaw tickets on our own. The websites for the airlines, or for agencies such as Expedia, will have 3 options for booking ... one way, round trip, and multiple destinations. Prices for the flights that we've booked have varied from being fairly close to round trip prices, up to a couple of hundred dollars more.

Airline ticket brokers (is that what you mean by discounters?) will sell only RT tickets as a rule. Everyone else can sell you an open jaw ticket (i.e. airline itself, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc). Open jaw tickets are usually the same (or similar) price as RT, as long as both destinations are reasonably close to each other (on the same continent) and involve the same airline.

I believe this is correct - if not, someone please correct me.

99% correct....;):)

It can be different airline if they "friends" and part of the same alliance.

For exampble segment could be on Delta, then KLM and then Air France..

rarely does this happen, but it could and it's legal.

Now on a personal opinion...there's nothing wrong with discounters, but I probably would not use them for a cruise...definately land travel

where if you run into a problem you can be flexible with your dates.

but the whole point of discounters is they are selling tickets with rigid rules and fare basis'..which in turn give you the good deals...

but don't assume a discounter is always the best deal..

Pier, are you on the June 10 Quest cruise? If so, come join the roll call.

Also, did you sign up for the Meet and Mingle? We only have 22 people signed up so far.

It's not about how "full" a ship is but how much "net" the company is making from the cruise. A "half full" ship at current prices is likely better for Azamara than a full ship a former prices. This "survey" is meaningless without knowing Azamara's financial numbers and needs.

It's not about how "full" a ship is but how much "net" the company is making from the cruise. A "half full" ship at current prices is likely better for Azamara than a full ship a former prices. This "survey" is meaningless without knowing Azamara's financial numbers and needs.

more just a friendly discussion rather than a professional "survey". I think it is a reflection on the economy, the new marketing scheme, and higher rates...all together it seems the cruise industry may be hurting some. I am thankful that it is probably not enough to cause real damage, not sure what I would do without a cruise:p.

Pier, are you on the June 10 Quest cruise? If so, come join the roll call.

Also, did you sign up for the Meet and Mingle? We only have 22 people signed up so far.

I'll sign up for the roll call!

Now is already into the penalty phase of the July Iceland voyage. A certain site (cannot be named) seems to indicate that it is only half full. Azamara has not yet reduced its fare for that voyage. Either it will happen closer to the voyage through some special deal/agency or they will let it be widely vacant. This type of situation cannot last forever, some structural fare adjustment has to occur sooner or later!

P.S. Perhaps the "yield" is higher for a widely vacant voyage at a high fare than a full voyage at a low fare, any comment?

P.S. Perhaps the "yield" is higher for a widely vacant voyage at a high fare than a full voyage at a low fare, any comment?

I don't think the yield would be higher for a high vacancy/high fare voyage due to fixed costs such as fuel, maintenance and port fees, along with not being able to reduce staff in proportion to the reduced # of passengers.

My guess is that since they probably cannot afford to operate at the low fares that they had been offering, their only solution now (other than 'going under') is to stick with the new higher fares. If they keep reducing the fares, they'll never get on track with where they should be. If enough people are willing to pay the higher fares (which they do on other lines), then they will be successful. If they have to continually reduce fares, or sail with half full ships, they won't be.

I think they have the product to warrant fares that are in line with Oceania, but they had the misfortunate of starting up in a difficult economy.

99% correct....;):)

Now on a personal opinion...there's nothing wrong with discounters, but I probably would not use them for a cruise..

but don't assume a discounter is always the best deal..

I second this. When we were just in Asia we opted for United/ANA/Air China flights and not the consolidator fare a TA found us on American Eagle/Cathay/Dragon (I think) which was $50.00pp more but we could get FFmiles on US Airways (On the Cathay Pacific flight we could not get FFmiles on American airlines, only on Cathay), BUT, more importantly if we missed the United Flight out (or it was delayed or canceled) we knew were had many options on US Airways to get us to DC for our international flight on ANA where the American flight were much more limited. Btw, ANA was really good.

I have in general noticed very little movement of any kind on the azamara site...no new promos...all prices same...very little change in available cabins...

the site seems frozen in time...

we would come back to azamara but not at these prices...yes we would pay more than we used to...but not the amounts being asked now...

we have a reservation for feb...and also one on celebrity...at half the cost for similar product....so unless something changes with the azamara price structure..we will be cancelling it...

we have a reservation for feb...and also one on celebrity...at half the cost for similar product....so unless something changes with the azamara price structure..we will be cancelling it...

Just curious as to which two cruises you are comparing? Is it a similar itinerary and time of year? Which Celebrity ship?

thanks,

same time of year...carib...equinox...no not a small ship...Celebrity does not have new small ships..and the old M class ships are not worth stepping foot on...just my opinion...and we love the small ship feel with azamara...but not at double the price...

Perhaps Azamara can compromise and meet customers half way, in-between the old price and the new price. We are tentatively booked for Iceland in August, 2011, and would like the "balcony for window fare"!

we would come back to azamara but not at these prices...yes we would pay more than we used to...but not the amounts being asked now...

Are these the 2 itineraries???

Az is longer, a bit more exotic with much longer port times

and you will get a different vibe with a small ship and

fewer kids

Regardless, AZ can't be competitive in the Caribbean market with these monster ships.

Celebrity

Feb 18 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 19 At Sea

Feb 20 At Sea

Feb 21 Charlotte Amalie, St. ThomasDocked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00

Feb 22 Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 3:00 PM Wed,

Feb 23 Bridgetown, BarbadosDocked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM Thu,

Feb 24 Roseau, DominicaDocked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Fri, Feb 25 Philipsburg, St. MaartenDocked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 26 At Sea Sun,

Feb 27 At Sea

Feb 28 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Arrive 7:00 AM

Azamara

spacer.gif

Feb 15 Miami, Florida Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 16 At Sea

Feb 17 At Sea Fri,

Feb 18 St. John, U.S.Virgin Islands Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00

Feb 19 Marigot, Saint Martin Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 11:00 PM

Feb 20 Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 21 St. Johns, Antigua Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Feb 22 Gustavia, St. Barts Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM

Feb 23 Gustavia, St. Barts Tendered Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 24 Virgin Gorda, B.V.I. Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 25 At Sea Sat

Feb 26 At Sea

Feb 27 Miami, Florida Arrive 7:00 AM

I took into account 2 days more....

yes if they had raised it $500 over the price we paid last feb..we would not cancel...just the fact that there are almost NO kids aboard is worth the extra...but our sailing is exactly double over the one we did this february...and that is just ridiculous...we dont care about wine...

yes Meow, if they had just raised it substantially but not over the top..

well oceania is out with their brand new itinerary...just an amazing variety of offerings...with all air included...seems the price is much below that of azamara...so maybe this will unfreeze the azamara site...

Perhaps Azamara can compromise and meet customers half way, in-between the old price and the new price. We are tentatively booked for Iceland in August, 2011, and would like the "balcony for window fare"!

We would like even better, such as balcony for 3K each, including all taxes and port fees.

Are these the 2 itineraries???

Az is longer, a bit more exotic with much longer port times

and you will get a different vibe with a small ship and

fewer kids

Regardless, AZ can't be competitive in the Caribbean market with these monster ships.

Celebrity

Feb 18 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 19 At Sea

Feb 20 At Sea

Feb 21 Charlotte Amalie, St. ThomasDocked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00

Feb 22 Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 3:00 PM Wed,

Feb 23 Bridgetown, BarbadosDocked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM Thu,

Feb 24 Roseau, DominicaDocked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Fri, Feb 25 Philipsburg, St. MaartenDocked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 26 At Sea Sun,

Feb 27 At Sea

Feb 28 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Arrive 7:00 AM

Azamara

spacer.gif

Feb 15 Miami, Florida Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 16 At Sea

Feb 17 At Sea Fri,

Feb 18 St. John, U.S.Virgin Islands Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00

Feb 19 Marigot, Saint Martin Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 11:00 PM

Feb 20 Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 21 St. Johns, Antigua Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Feb 22 Gustavia, St. Barts Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM

Feb 23 Gustavia, St. Barts Tendered Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 24 Virgin Gorda, B.V.I. Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Feb 25 At Sea Sat

Feb 26 At Sea

Feb 27 Miami, Florida Arrive 7:00 AM

What is the difference in price for lowest Inside, lowest OV, and lowest Veranda?

Here is another "issue" for Azamara. We just got off a 4 night Celebrity Century which was the same ship we were on in 2008. No, there were no exotic ports, but it was suppose to be a short getaway with 2 teenagers (in their own Inside - not with me). Celebrity totally exceeded our expectations and we are not "Elite" (only had the one 5 night on Celebrity) yet they packed everything into the 4 night cruise so there was something for everyone. I went with low expectations on this "mass market" line, but wow. Besides the Captains Club luncheon, we were invited to a galley Tour (they invited everyone), Bridge Tour, Backstage Tour, and wine tasting in Muranos which was a sit down event. There was always sparking wine, wine and more at all of these. There was a chocolate buffet and they brought local entertainment on board in Mexico (we missed it but they were there). The entertainment may have been the best we have seen at sea. Everyone was totally professional. There was the same quality we had on Azamara. The cruise Director, Sue Denning, was great as was the captains Club Hostess. They said the Captain had come from Azamara Journey, I actually used my Verandah for breakfast and I never did on quest (too hot and too many bugs in Asia).

So, we would consider Celebrity again, which we never thought we would.

Does the more formal dress code on Celebrity bother you?

It does bother me.

I actually forgot about that.

My DH brought one suit, and I never wore what is really formal (like a gown) but wore black pants each evening with a different top. Basically the same thing I wore on Azamara. Two tops I wore were silk from Asia, one worn on the one formal nights and I actually received compliments. The other was actually a silk jacket. If it was a longer cruise (more than a 4 or 5 night), I think I would bring something more formal but I really do not wear dresses very often and I am not convinced I would look anymore formal with a beaded top (which many women on the HAL board claim they wear on formal nights) vs a handmade silk top. Yes, I know it is different for men. People overall were dressed better than they were 2 years ago. The two teenage girls wore dresses, but they were not formal wear.

Archived