Are Azamara ships sailing full?

Erica@cruisecritic

Does the more formal dress code on Celebrity bother you?

It does bother me.

I am starting to wonder if we will love our experience on HAL this August. They were our favorite line until we tried Azamara, but we will have had a 2 year absence. I have to remember about the formal nights.

Well, I like Celebrity and I'm Elite with them

I haven't stayed with them because my Elite benefits have been better on Princess

and Princess has always had a better itinerary options for our needs

My last Celebrity was the Mercury for a PNW cruise round trip SFO...worked perfect ..no air as SFO is our home port...

Sadly, the passengers were the most unsanitary group I;ve ever seen..

while it might have been cultural it was gross..

.here's the thing if there is a porcelin toilet...you use it.

When all I had was squat pot drains I used those...

People need to learn to adapt to cultures around the world..

and that didn't really happen much on the sailing we were on.

Back to the ship...

The buffet set up was the worst I've experienced, traffic flow to get your food was soooo slow

Also, the food in the dining room wasn't as good as Princess.

HOWEVER, the croissants in the Cova Cafe rivaled those that I had in France!!

and I loved my wine blending seminar better than my wine tasting on Princess...

It would take a lot for me to go back to Celebrity, but I wouldn't rule it out....

right price, right itinerary...I'm there.

but it sounds like it was a perfect match for all of you for what you wanted and needed on this sailing and that's all that matters!!!

Oh..formal wear...yeah I'm really getting worn out on that..I'm more inclined to just skip it these days

I've been to the Caribbean enough that no itinerary there on either A or X would interest me (loved Windjammer though!).

Am very excited about my first A cruise tis summer to Europe, but would not have booked it at the current prices. For 2011, checked the Eastern Med itineraries, and didn't like what A had to offer compared to Celebrity.

I've seen a number of online specials for Azamara, yet have a friend sailing on Oceania his week who was offered $3,000 to reschedule their overbooked cruise. I'd be a little concerned if I was a member of Azamara management

Hi Everyone !

Sorry I have not been posting much, but I've been severely under the weather the past several days.

I think Azamara can have success in the Caribbean, though it depends on pricing. I agree that Azamara probably feels the Caribbean is not all that important, but I believe it is an excellent way for US passengers to try Azamara. That's how we became Azamara fans. I hope I will get another chance later this year when Journey sails from Miami, as I definitely am not flying to San Juan, and especially not for a 7 night Cruise.

I think the decision to move Journey to San Juan in 2011/2012 is going to prove to be a huge mistake. Im also disappointed that Azamara opted for 7 night Caribbean sailings in 2011. I do not think Azamara guests only want 7 night sailings. A few 7 night sailings would have been fine, but I would have mixed in some 10 & 12 night sailings as well.

Celebrity, and most other lines have had huge problems selling Cruises at far lower prices out of San Juan. Celebrity even opted to have 1 less ship sailing out of San Juan in 2011/2012, which makes me wonder if Azamara was asked to take Celebrity's slot. Celebrity Summit is currently offering balconies for 7 nights from SJU for 849 pp. Azamara thinks they are going to get 2,249 pp for a balcony for 7 nights ? If they hold their pricing at current levels, Journey is going to suffer in San Juan.

IMHO, they should have stuck with Miami as Journey's winter homeport, as they are in for a big disappointment with San Juan. If I were Azamara, I would be re-thinking this decision, and pronto. I hope Azamara's management will give it some consideration.

Hi Everyone !

Sorry I have not been posting much, but I've been severely under the weather the past several days.

I think Azamara can have success in the Caribbean, though it depends on pricing. I agree that Azamara probably feels the Caribbean is not all that important, but I believe it is an excellent way for US passengers to try Azamara. That's how we became Azamara fans. I hope I will get another chance later this year when Journey sails from Miami, as I definitely am not flying to San Juan, and especially not for a 7 night Cruise.

I think the decision to move Journey to San Juan in 2011/2012 is going to prove to be a huge mistake. Im also disappointed that Azamara opted for 7 night Caribbean sailings in 2011. I do not think Azamara guests only want 7 night sailings. A few 7 night sailings would have been fine, but I would have mixed in some 10 & 12 night sailings as well.

Celebrity, and most other lines have had huge problems selling Cruises at far lower prices out of San Juan. Celebrity even opted to have 1 less ship sailing out of San Juan in 2011/2012, which makes me wonder if Azamara was asked to take Celebrity's slot. Celebrity Summit is currently offering balconies for 7 nights from SJU for 849 pp. Azamara thinks they are going to get 2,249 pp for a balcony for 7 nights ? If they hold their pricing at current levels, Journey is going to suffer in San Juan.

IMHO, they should have stuck with Miami as Journey's winter homeport, as they are in for a big disappointment with San Juan. If I were Azamara, I would be re-thinking this decision, and pronto. I hope Azamara's management will give it some consideration.

I just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon..

I do agree with you

the Caribbean market and AZ at this point just doesnt work.

a Caribbean sailing is a dime a dozen for a lot less dimes than AZ

I think 7 days works in Europe especially for those of us who want to combine it with land travel and have been to the mainstream ports.

and most definately for European clientele

I just dont think that transfers well to the Caribbean.

They really need to be looking at French Polynesia, Australia/NZ..

south america with easter island,

fascinating Canada/Americas of the East Coast (like a indepth fall foliage cruise and the length of the east coast but maybe just 1 or 2 and that's it.

I like to hope for the best with AZ, but it does seem that they haven't quite thought a few things through...

but then again I have been wrong in the past...

I was on the inaugural of the Legend of the Seas years back and all the big wigs came onboard to share the vision of the future..Mega cruise ships that were the destination and not the ports they would travel to..

The audience was made up of traditionalists who thought the mini golf course onboard that just debuted was over the top!

We all thought they were crazy and obviously had been smoking something...

Obviously...we were wrong and the head honchos at RCCL were wise beyond their years regarding the future of cruising...

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture that Larry Pimintel is seeing or maybe they will end up like Renaissance...

time will tell....

in the meantime...I'm going to have a blast on our 24 days onboard and if this is the only time we can afford them we will squeeze every possible experience out of it!!!

Hi Andy. I agree with you completely about Azamara in the Caribbean; it is going to be a serious challenge for them on a number of counts: to be successful, the itineraries need to be better thought out and planned ( we were Martinique on a Sunday--not well thought out), San Juan may or may not be a mistake ( I personally agree that it is), but the 7 night sailings have no appeal to us at all). Finally, Azamara's appeal has usually been to experienced cruisers who are looking for new itineraries and interesting ports: most of these people are less than thrilled by high prices and too little else new.

The Amazon River Itineraries may be interesting, but there is little in sailing out of San Juan that would make me look twice.

I am afraid, that what we are seeing is another face of a management team that is committed to bulling ahead and who perhaps is less interested in Reality Checks than it should be. After quietly watching most of the comments on the Azamara Boards, I find little that reassures me that Management Team listens at all.

They really need to be looking at French Polynesia, Australia/NZ..

south america with easter island,

fascinating Canada/Americas of the East Coast (like a indepth fall foliage cruise and the length of the east coast but maybe just 1 or 2 and that's it.

I agree with all of this and would never pay these prices in the Caribbean. Our cruise on Celebrity this past weekend had a lot of Florida residents booking just a week prior to the departure at great resident rates.

However, French Polynesia, South America with Easter Island, Amazon River (in the beginning of the year, not end) and East coast Canada and New Foundland sounds great with 10-12-14 night cruises.

Hi Everyone !

I think Azamara can have success in the Caribbean, though it depends on pricing. I agree that Azamara probably feels the Caribbean is not all that important, but I believe it is an excellent way for US passengers to try Azamara. That's how we became Azamara fans.

Andy

I agree. Elite with X. We like to cruise in Feb, to get a break from the cold. We sailed Journey this past Feb, and loved the ship. Would do it again, but we want longer than 7 nites, even if the same itinerary. We are now booked on the Equinox for next Feb due to lack of desirable AZ itineraries.

We were hoping they would repeat the Panama Canal trip in early 2012, but since they have moved to South America itineraries, (another mistake?), it looks like no Panama Canal trips.

So for Feb 2012 we looked at the Asia cruises, and although they appear to be 14 or so days, they spend too many overnites in ports. 3 nites in Bangkok? As the song goes, "one nite in Bangkok ..." Overnites in Hanoi (wonderful nite life there) and HCMC (didnt care mnuch for it the last time...)? I'll pass.

As far as prices, we are willing to pay for a good product, which in our perspective, includes desirable itineraries with multiple ports.

So we are looking at Oceania for 2012.

about 50 cabins open on this cruise
That may be what is shown on an agency (cannot be named) website, but it may not be the entire vacancy inventory (unless you got your information by asking Azamara).

Can any recent cruisers tell me if there were empty cabins on their cruises? I'd also love for people sailing in the next few months under the new Azamara Club Cruises pricing to report back and let us know whether ships are full or not.
Our recent eastbound transAtlantic on Azamara Journey had only 491 pax or 70% max capacity. Not very impressive but also not much different from our westbound transAtlantic on Oceania Regatta this past Nov/09 which had 520 pax or 76% max capacity.

Great crew to pax ratios but diminished profit potential. :eek::eek:

I notice Azamara are still keeping the minimum price point around $3000 for ten or twelve day cruises in June and July, but one internet agency is offering $100-600 O.B.C.

I wonder how long they can sustain these high prices if they are not selling out.

about 50 cabins open on this cruise
P.S. I counted again vacancies on this July 2010 Iceland voyage on one website (cannot be named), 75 out of the nearly 350 cabins are empty, and the list may not be exhaustive. So this voyage, already past penalty point, is less than 80% occupied, by how much we don't know.

In all fairness, no one knows how many home office personnel RCL has allocated to the Azamara brand, now that it is separate from Celebrity. And it may turn out that two small ships is not enough critical mass for success in today's economy. Thus, plan B may NOT be a return of the ships to Celebrity but the acquisition of additional ships. Only time will tell, of course, but RCL is a big and experienced corporation and they don't give up easily, if ever.

i'm not really phased by all of this..

it's not like its AZ specific ..

I'm receiving emails, snail mail on a daily basis regarding dramatic discounts for ALL cruise lines, including Oceania

Just yesterday was Princess, RCCL, Holland America and Viking River Cruises..

I'm sure if you wasted an entire day of time..you would find

that every line has some sort of issue with a drop off in occupancy.

and if they don't check to see what the deal is they have just offered.

The hotels in my region of the SFO Bay used to be at 100% 5 days a weeks charging over 200USD a night just for a Courtyard by Marriott.

Companies cut business travel by 75% and the rates and occupancy have plummeted to about 50% if they are lucky.

It's the cyclic nature of leisure and business travel.

Larry Pimentel knows the complexity of yield manangement there will always be an ADR that they are shooting for...we wont know it...

but the number of heads in the beds doesnt have to be a full ship to attain it. In fact MANY equations call for the ship/hotel not to have 100%

I am starting to wonder if we will love our experience on HAL this August. They were our favorite line until we tried Azamara, but we will have had a 2 year absence. I have to remember about the formal nights.

I just returned from a HAL voyage after spending two years on Azamara with some regrets. The smoking on HAL was awful and I just can't take it anymore so we cancelled our other HAL booking for the year. However, I did notice that the formal nights had gotten less strict. Formal wear is only required in the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle Grill on formal nights. It's still casual in the Lido and you can attend the performances with out dressing up. And HAL's big advantage--larger cabins--means a lot to some folk.

I have to say that I think that it is more than just the industry's situation at the present. I think that the re-branding process has been rather poorly done, with a lot of hype, a lot of confusion, some denigration of the previous passenger base, and a lot of corporate confusion and plain double-speak. The one consistent report seems to be that while passengers are enjoying the Azamara Experience, they do not feel that the latter is not comparable with Oceana, Seaborne, et al, and that given the increased pricing, the value just isn't there for whatever reason. This may change as time goes by, but so far, I get the feeling that current management really doesn't have a total handle on things and is really feeling their way in sort of a random manner. The "secrecy", the "2 for 1" ploy, and mis-communication between website and customer service reps, with customers being told one thing by one and another by the other, with neither necessarily being correct, are simply not the hallmarks of a well organized and focused management team, and do not reassure potential customers about the future.

I personally would be fine if Celebrity re-acquired the ships and used them creatively to offer an alternative to the current focus on megaships. I do think that there is a demand for the smaller-ship experience, and I don't think that you have to be in your 40's and 50's and have an income of $300,000+ to appreciate to qualify for that demographic.

I know that we have enjoyed all of our Azamara cruises, each one got progressively better as Azamara sort of learned and established its base. Then came the current confusion and who knows which way things are going to go. I do know that our Transatlantic on the Equinox this fall shows no available suites or verandas, and while I am aware that 6 months out that may and probably will change, it still says something about the industry's success in marketing its products. Our March Equinox cruise was essentially full, and RCCL just reported a $0.40 per share profit for the First Quarter, so it isn't all bad news for the Travel Industry.

I wonder if perhaps Azamara needs to be doing some reality checks if things are not going the way that they would like them to.

Of course, this whole thing may just the ramblings of a Grumpy Old Man.........:)

I notice Azamara are still keeping the minimum price point around $3000 for ten or twelve day cruises in June and July, but one internet agency is offering $100-600 O.B.C.

I wonder how long they can sustain these high prices if they are not selling out.

For Insides? (Not for Verandahs)

That may be what is shown on an agency (cannot be named) website, but it may not be the entire vacancy inventory (unless you got your information by asking Azamara).

got it from the agency site

I just returned from a HAL voyage after spending two years on Azamara with some regrets. The smoking on HAL was awful and I just can't take it anymore so we cancelled our other HAL booking for the year. However, I did notice that the formal nights had gotten less strict. Formal wear is only required in the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle Grill on formal nights. It's still casual in the Lido and you can attend the performances with out dressing up. And HAL's big advantage--larger cabins--means a lot to some folk.

Oh No. I was worried about that. Which ship/date? Lots of folks who smoke are coming over from Celebrity. Is there actually some type of notice stating that you only need to dress for the MDR and Pinnacle? I like that much better as otherwise those who eat in the lido would have to get dressed for the theatre.

We always liked HAL best until our recent cruise on Azamara, and now our mini cruise on Celebrity Century exceeded our expectations. I never saw smoke nor thought of smoke. The main reason we have not been on HAL for two years has been because of the itineraries and we took last year to explore both the Arctic and Antarctica. We had, however, always wanted to do the Montreal to Boston cruise on Maasdam after seeing her in Bar Harbor when we were there a couple of years ago. If the smoke is too much for us we will not be back.

And it may turn out that two small ships is not enough critical mass for success in today's economy. Thus, plan B may NOT be a return of the ships to Celebrity but the acquisition of additional ships. Only time will tell, of course, but RCL is a big and experienced corporation and they don't give up easily, if ever.

Hi Cruiseyguy !

I always hoped that Azamara would order some new ships, and build the brand, but Mr Pimentel has already stated that newbuilds are not in the cards at this time. I've also thought about the idea of Azamara potentially acquiring Mercury and possibly Century. Most folks seem to feel those ships are too large for Azamara (I feel they could work - especially if newbuilds are not an option) and the rumor mill suggests that Mercury is eventually headed to TUI. It's hard to figure how a line can prosper with 2 ships. My guess is, the current plan is to find a way to make the 2 ship system work, and then they will get another ship or 2. Only time will tell. I do not expect a Plan B anytime soon, if ever, but you have to wonder if it could be a plan of last resort.

As I said earlier, I strongly believe the plan is to make Azamara work, and I remain hopeful that Mr Pimentel and his team will succeed.

Archived