Are Azamara ships sailing full?

Erica@cruisecritic

Don't forget the free sodas and bottled water (unless RCL also provide this now)

And let me tell you - I can drink 500$ worth of water in 15 days for sure!!!! Especially when it is like 4$ a bottle. I also don't have to schlep giant bottles of water onboard when coming back to the ship!!! LOL I will pay big bucks on board for booze but DEFINATELY not water!!!! :eek:

Thanks for letting me add that back in.

Gave up soda when I quit smoking 8 years ago!!

I can't say enough about the value of bottled water

As many of you have read my severe food poisoning story from last year

I won't repeat it.

for those that didn't ..

Here's the link

http://ourpassportstamps.com/FoodPoisoning2009.html

it was the bottled water throughout Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria that was making me even sicker than I already was.

Being able to have bottled water provided by Azamara that has clearly been "vetted" for safety is worth thousands of dollars to me.

An English speaking doctor, with safe medications is an added bonus one should never take for granted

Just to emphasize, the only way to really compare is to look at the per diem costs. Divide the posted cruise fare by the number of nights for each cruise under consideration and then you have a useful number.

I just looked at an Azamara promotion, it was $343.00 PP PN. While there well may be value there, I have trouble seeing that as a "bargain" unless I can compare with other lines' PP PN.

Just to emphasize, the only way to really compare is to look at the per diem costs. Divide the posted cruise fare by the number of nights for each cruise under consideration and then you have a useful number.

I just looked at an Azamara promotion, it was $343.00 PP PN. While there well may be value there, I have trouble seeing that as a "bargain" unless I can compare with other lines' PP PN.

Have you done a comparison? If there is an itinerary that you priced on Azamara, can you compare it to a similar line? We would all be interested.

I totally agree and the best comparisons are before taxes/port fees since they will differ. I wish we all would give the per diejm totals. Even looking at Oceania 14 days vs Azamara 12 nights is not accurate unless you do per diem.

I agree with you.

Mea culpa - I took post #148 to have its figures posted to be accurate ($100 pp pn less for Azamara). Now I rechecked the prices on post #146 (meow) and the difference is only $55 pp pn - Azamara being less than Oceania.

Even then, considering that Azamara also adds PPG and wine while other things are essentially the same, Azamara can be considered a "better" value. It certainly is not as outrageous as it might appear. It only is much more than it used to be, but is still "in line" with its major competitor.

I have sailed on O before but not on A as yet (will be in Sept). I will then make my own personal judgement if I will pay more for O or less for A for future cruises (if all other things are equal - itinerary, etc) and so should everyone else.

Paulchili: Nice to hear from you and you are so kind. This time Azamara is $55 per diem less than Oceania, on the surface. If you take into account Azamara's including tips, drinks (at least bottled water and soft drinks if you don't drink alcoholics), it will be perhaps $80. We choose Azamara because of its price, also there is a chance of "balcony for window fare", while Oceania does not usually discount. We are Celebrity Select members, so it won't hurt. The voyage covers Copenhagen, two Norwegian ports, and two Icelandic ports (including an overnight) just in case the weather is bad. Also, only one Norsegian port will be tender, the rest are all docks (less "weather prone"). Other cruise lines don't go that route except perhaps HAL, and in which case it will be part of a much longer voyage which will make the overall cost even higher. We already have to stretch our paws to the limit to make it, so any reduction in price will be welcomed .. meow!

So it is not cost but it is a question of value. I consider myself a discerning consumer and the value is just not there.

This is the point that I have been making on and off, and the stupid thing is that it would take so little to improve the value in OUR eyes. [i know everyone measures value differently.] For our 14-day cruise next February, the PH Suite has increased by £1,140 pp. Give me a couple of months of that extra money and I could permanently increse the value of that suite. I would still have problems with many of the itineraries but we would at least consider them. As things stand, the value is not there for us. There has to be some targetted investment by Azamara if they want to compete in the market they have selected.

Sue

I agree with you.

Mea culpa - I took post #148 to have its figures posted to be accurate ($100 pp pn less for Azamara). Now I rechecked the prices on post #146 (meow) and the difference is only $55 pp pn - Azamara being less than Oceania.

Even then, considering that Azamara also adds PPG and wine while other things are essentially the same, Azamara can be considered a "better" value. It certainly is not as outrageous as it might appear. It only is much more than it used to be, but is still "in line" with its major competitor.

I have sailed on O before but not on A as yet (will be in Sept). I will then make my own personal judgement if I will pay more for O or less for A for future cruises (if all other things are equal - itinerary, etc) and so should everyone else.

Actually, Azamara is $37.50 pp pn less than Oceania. The Azamara price on the website doesn't include taxes and port charges of about $200. Adding $200 to the Azamara fare narrows the per diem difference to $37.50.

More importantly the Oceania cruise is on the Marina, their new ship. Truly, this is an apples to oranges comparison.

Dave

This is the point that I have been making on and off, and the stupid thing is that it would take so little to improve the value in OUR eyes. [i know everyone measures value differently.] For our 14-day cruise next February, the PH Suite has increased by £1,140 pp. Give me a couple of months of that extra money and I could permanently increse the value of that suite. I would still have problems with many of the itineraries but we would at least consider them. As things stand, the value is not there for us. There has to be some targetted investment by Azamara if they want to compete in the market they have selected.

Sue

Are you thinking more modern furnishings as you would find on a Celebrity ship, even on Century? At least the bath has a huge tub/whirlpool.

The regular staterooms have tiny bath rooms with tiny showers and they can not be changed. It is what it is in the other staterooms.

Actually, Azamara is $37.50 pp pn less than Oceania. The Azamara price on the website doesn't include taxes and port charges of about $200. Adding $200 to the Azamara fare narrows the per diem difference to $37.50.

More importantly the Oceania cruise is on the Marina, their new ship. Truly, this is an apples to oranges comparison.

Dave

Does the Marina have bath tubs in most staterooms as you would find on most HAL ships?

I haven't read your story (yet) but I know they (some venders) refill the bottles in India.

I think it is a problem many places, i.e. Egypt. :eek: We do not accept a bottle of water unless "we" unscrew the cap.

so are azamara ships sailing full?

there was a post earlier saying that it was difficult to get any of the roll calls going...

I just received a promo of some kind saying they are reducing the prices by 1000 pp per sailing ...of course I called and got the old standby...WE dont know what you are talking about...

sent their own email to the agent...have not heard back ...so it goes...

I think it is a problem many places, i.e. Egypt. :eek: We do not accept a bottle of water unless "we" unscrew the cap.

It had nothing to do with us unscewing the cap...

as a california girl, I was going to Mexico regualarly by the time I was 7.

I'm well aware of that trick.

Does the Marina have bath tubs in most staterooms as you would find on most HAL ships?

With the possible exception of handicap staterooms, the staterooms have a separate tub and shower. The interior size of balcony staterooms on Marina is 242 sq. ft., compared to 175 sq. ft. on Azamara ships.

Dave

I just received a promo of some kind saying they are reducing the prices by 1000 pp per sailing ...of course I called and got the old standby...WE dont know what you are talking about...

This is not a new promotion, and they aren't further reducing the prices. It's the pricing structure that they've had for a while.

The $1000. off and 50% discount from brochure rates have been factored into the prices that you arrive at when you go through ACC's booking process on their website, or when you call them for prices.

Look at the brochure rates for those sailings (2011-2012). They are posted on ACC's website in the section titled, "The New Azamara". Take $1000 off the brochure rate, divide by 2, and that will give you the same price that you arrive at by going thru the booking process on ACC's site.

I just received this promotion this morning...that makes it new to me...but that is off topic...there is a topic here that is for the promotion..seems others think it is new as well..

maybe azamara should add, This is an old promotion..dont bother looking at it!!!

I just received this promotion this morning...that makes it new to me...but that is off topic...there is a topic here that is for the promotion..seems others think it is new as well..

You posted that same question on two threads this morning ... off-topic on both. No one else brought up the promotion that you are mentioning, so I'm not sure why you say "seems others think it is new as well"? :confused:

Dave

Dave,

I am sure you are right about the taxes. However, when you add the ppg and depending how much wine you consume with each lunch and dinner you would make up those $ 200 very quickly (and then some).

I do not wish to nit pick - the point I was trying to make is that Azamara's prices are not "outrageous" as some seem to think. Yes, they are much higher than they used to be, but are very much in line with their main competitor. That's all.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got an email offering a $500 OBC and a $1000 air credit for all 2010 European cruises..Hmmmmmm!!!

Is it the same offer which has been on their website for quite a while now?

"Book your 2010 European Voyage by June 30, 2010 to Enjoy these Special Offers:

...when booking a Club Oceanview or above stateroom, by June 30, 2010, guests can also take advantage of the following offer:

$500 Onboard Spending Credit per booking

$1,000 ChoiceAir Credit per couple"

I did not see that on their website.This was the info on the email:

BOOK A CLUB OCEANVIEW OR ABOVE STATEROOM

BY AUGUST 31, 2010, AND ALSO ENJOY $500 ONBOARD CREDIT

PER BOOKING

– AND –$1,000 CHOICEAIR CREDIT PER COUPLE

I guess it is just an extension of that previous offer.

Archived