Are Azamara ships sailing full?

Erica@cruisecritic

on the other hand, azamara can afford to sail half full, with the backing of RCI they can stretch out this experiment of outrageous prices for a very long time..

I don't know if I would call the pricing "outrageous", just a lot more than before.

No, that would be a lot of bingo prizes! Agree that there are some prices that seem very high, but also some that don't. In my post above I was comparing the prices the OP had paid vs. what she was faced with paying for the same cruise a year later, and also comparing it to Oceania.

Susan, that is a huge difference at 2K more pp in the Carribean. It is not an exotic location, and if they booked in the beginning of 2009 for 2010 gratuities would have been included. Even we would not pay that price for an area with so much competition, and especially since Azamara appears to have no plans to update anything, such as bedding or furniture.

We loved the PH, but honestly for 16-22K for 2 people (depending on location and length) it does not have new and modern furniture that one would find even in the Century in a Royal Suite, not to mention all of the new ships. Yes, it is smaller but 600-700 passengers isn't even a small ship in our opinion, not like the 80-120 passenger ships you find in Antarctica or the Galapagos or even SilverSea PAII which goes to the Arctic

Now, for an exotic location, maybe. We paid that type of (Azamara PH) price for the cheapest porthole accommodations with A&K (on a Swan Hellenic ship which interestingly Captain Carl has been the Captain on previously) in Antarctica BUT that was really an all inclusive including all expeditions and alcohol and transportation to/from the ship, but it was Antarctica...

No, that would be a lot of bingo prizes! Agree that there are some prices that seem very high, but also some that don't. In my post above I was comparing the prices the OP had paid vs. what she was faced with paying for the same cruise a year later, and also comparing it to Oceania.

Susan

I think that part of the problem is that the percentage rise was in the same ballpark for most of the grades of accommodation but the value of most of the extras included [with the slight exception of the gratuities] is the same for every grade.

Sue

Susan, that is a huge difference at 2K more pp in the Carribean. It is not an exotic location, and if they booked in the beginning of 2009 for 2010 gratuities would have been included. Even we would not pay that price for an area with so much competition, and especially since Azamara appears to have no plans to update anything, such as bedding or furniture.

I agree...and I did say that it was a significant increase in my previous post. But comparing the previous bargains with the new pricing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, other than to feel great about your amazing bargain, and/or feel lousy about the new prices. We've paid a range of prices for our cruises; with fluctuations due location of cruise, supply and demand, and the value of our Cdn $ at the time. Because of our past experience with varying prices, it makes more sense to me to focus on the present and compare what is available amongst the lines that I'm interested in, and then determine which one best suits us, based on what I am willing to pay.

Susan,

I totally agree with you. One cannot live in the past especially because I find that I am often paying less for more than I did in the mid nineties on some cruiselines. I cruise on a variety of ships my favourites being Regent and RCCL for opposing reasons. I will be trying an Azamara cruise for the first time this October and am paying what I consider an excellent price. I will comment on the quality when I return but at this time I have an open mind.

I rejected Oceania after one attempt due to the demographic but may try them in the future if they have an itinerary I like.

Miriam

Susan

I think that part of the problem is that the percentage rise was in the same ballpark for most of the grades of accommodation but the value of most of the extras included [with the slight exception of the gratuities] is the same for every grade.

Sue

Sounds like they may have to rethink that formula. We couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a cabin for a regular cruise since we like port intensive cruises where the focus is being on land rather than on the ship. I can appreciate though that it is important to some people, and worth the cost of a PHS for them. We are looking at Antarctica and wouldn't hesitate spending the equivalent amount of a PHS on Azamara ($20-30K) for an expedition trip on a small ship, because we see the value in that, rather than spending less to go on Az to Antarctica.

Susan,

I totally agree with you. One cannot live in the past especially because I find that I am often paying less for more than I did in the mid nineties on some cruiselines.

Hi Miriam,

We didn't start cruising until 2000, but it brings a smile to my face now to think of how much less we've paid for some cruises since then compared to that first one ... or even the 2nd one to Alaska!

We are looking at Antarctica and wouldn't hesitate spending the equivalent amount of a PHS on Azamara ($20-30K) for an expedition trip on a small ship, because we see the value in that, rather than spending less to go on Az to Antarctica.

Sorry to go OT but look at Abercrombie & Kent for Antarctica, amazing service and detail. And btw, we went with Silversea in the Arctic and canceled a trip with them to Africa next year because Service better on both Swan Hellenic (with staff filled by A&K) and Azamara.

just to go back to the topic....

I am watching a couple of sailings...and a couple of categories...balcony and oceanview...in weeks NOTHING has changed...no cabins have been booked....all is quiet..all is still....

so I dont know how they will be sailing full or half full in june and july...

as far as february..we are really interested in that...the carib...I think we are the only ones booked...and if not, there are very few...and even then we will cancel unless some promotion comes up that changes the rate from double over last year to something much more palatable...

I am watching a couple of sailings...and a couple of categories...balcony and oceanview...in weeks NOTHING has changed...no cabins have been booked....all is quiet..all is still....

so I dont know how they will be sailing full or half full in june and july...

as far as february..we are really interested in that...the carib...I think we are the only ones booked...and if not, there are very few...and even then we will cancel unless some promotion comes up that changes the rate from double over last year to something much more palatable...

How do you know no cabins have been booked? Nothing has changed on SilverSea and nothing has changed with the HAL cruise I have booked either.

Exactly what rate are you booked at and what are you willing to pay? Sorry if you already answered this. OV's are $2,500.00pp or $2,650.00pp, so not too bad with pre-paid gratuities and wine on a smaller ship.

Maybe you could change your category cabin to get on the ship you love if you can not afford the same category. We took a porthole with A&K in Antarctica and porthole with SilverSea to go to the Arctic. We weren't paying for the Verandah we get easily in the Caribbean on Celebrity.

We are taking an OV on HAL in August as the Verandahs start at $1,000.00 more pp on a 7 night, and the cruise will be a sell out. I am sure you can make it work for you.

I believe give or take a few there are 345 cabins on Azamara Journey

For the February 27th sailing there are 109 TOTAL cabins available to book this includes insides to suites

that means 236 cabins have been booked

this is actually fuller than what I would expect, given yield management strategies.

If you expect to see a rate drop it would be in late Sept or Oct. probably not sooner than that.

Also, Azamara could be working in conjunction with their sister cruise lines for the Caribbean itineraries to price higher at this time to steer passengers to the brand new LARGER Celebrity ships to create a buzz about them.

Finally, when it comes to only checking the AZ website

if you don't try to book all the way through you won't see if a category is sold out.

It is a bit misleading on the inventory, not only AZ does this but so does Celebrity, RCCL, Princess and NCL

and they will keep the same 2-4 cabins on the front screen unless someone specifically asks for that cabin to be pulled from inventory.

they will just sell any other cabin in the category,

which means you wouldn't necessarily see anything change

if you haven't taken these factors into account

I agree with Jade13, the price you are paying for ov on this specific itinerary on a R class ship is actually quite good.

especially when you factor the gratuities, speciality coffee, wine, etc.

It was great that you got such a great deal last year, but travel isn't an exact science..it's more like the stock market. You either have to come to terms with riding the wave or not. It's not fair, it doesn't make sense..but that's the reality of travel.

Azamara isn't the only player in this crazy game..

We have airlines charging us for 1 piece of luggage, to eat, to go the bathroom,

We have hotels that will charge a daily resort fee because they provide pool toys for the kids that you don't have or travel with and you are forced to pay it

If you travel to SFO with a car and need to park it, it's an extra 30-50USD a night..and they don't wash it

or even clean the windows.

You as a consumer have the choice to cruise on a big ship that doesn't overnight in ports, you can deal with massive crowds where you might have to factor in a headache of tendering into port.

My response to you question is if they are Mediterranean Cruises which include Greece with Greece's instability politically and economically there may be a hesitance to travel to Greece especially Athens being they have had some riots and protests.

to respond...we have not cancelled yet...but have booked the silhouette ....almost same itinerary...also 12 days...half the price...1559 for 1C cat...while azamara wants 3349 for a regular balcony...thats a lot to pay for wine we dont drink....

as far as the cabins go...the site shows best available...those best available have not changed at all...so must be that others are going for cabins not considered best...

you obviously have inside information about what is available on the ship that most of us are not privy to....agents have that...but then they may have a vested interest to promote a line...

to the poster that asked what would we pay if azamara had done it gradually?

we paid 1199 for balcony last feb...next year we would be willing to pay 2000 for the same balcony....that is a substantial increase...but not 3349...that is just stupid...

Those of us who fly a lot see inventory management on steroids with the airlines. Pricing will change for flights many times a day, even many time an hour, as the IM computers spin out prices trying to make a sale within predetermined parameters. RCL/Celebrity/Azamara are very good at this for a cruise line (cruise lines are years behind the airlines in computerized/internet yield management & sales). I've seen prices on both Celebrity & Azamara cruises change several times in one day, both up & down. Some of Azamara's early extremely low prices were caused by inaccurate historical data (there was actually virtually none) distorting the IM programming. But to my knowledge, Celebrity/Azamara honored all of these very good "deals" (for example, 2 week Penthouse cruises for $2,000 total which several people received on one cruise). But, alas, I think the days of extreme deals are over.

Those of us who fly a lot see inventory management on steroids with the airlines. Pricing will change for flights many times a day, even many time an hour, as the IM computers spin out prices trying to make a sale within predetermined parameters. RCL/Celebrity/Azamara are very good at this for a cruise line (cruise lines are years behind the airlines in computerized/internet yield management & sales). I've seen prices on both Celebrity & Azamara cruises change several times in one day, both up & down. Some of Azamara's early extremely low prices were caused by inaccurate historical data (there was actually virtually none) distorting the IM programming. But to my knowledge, Celebrity/Azamara honored all of these very good "deals" (for example, 2 week Penthouse cruises for $2,000 total which several people received on one cruise). But, alas, I think the days of extreme deals are over.

So true!

I also heard, though no one will confirm this ..

so it might just be a rumor...

but if you go to one of the major airline booking engines or on some airlines direct sites..repeatedly...they put "cookies" on your computer..indicating the highest price you saw...they will then create a higher

price the next time you log in..so you have sense of urgency to buy NOW!!

like I said I haven't been able to confirm this, but I do make it a habit to clear all tracking when I'm in "booking mode" for our inter europe airfare not covered on FF miles

Here's an easy tip to get rid of those "cookies". There is a widely used utility called CC Cleaner ( also known as Piriform Cleaner), which can be set to get rid of cookies that you do not want selectively. I.e, it will remove the airline cookies, but keep your Cruise Critic signin cookie if you so choose.

The utility is available here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I've used this personally for years and it is a very useful program.

Hope that's helpful.

Here in the UK the various cruise lines use what they call fluid pricing,so more demand the higher the price,this is the same on our budget airlines basically you snooze you loose

Ive also received some Azamara specials via an agent today for late summer/autumn these where for ocean views :):):)

On the Apr. 25 sailing from Barcelona to Venice, the ship seemed about 3/4 full, and there was never any trouble finding tables outside, pool chaises or seats anywhere. The elevators were almost always empty. The spa also seemed underused. The only place where there was any 'lineup' was in the laundry room, where it could get a little primitive at times. The guests were terrific and I wonder how many of them will come back with the new pricing. I can't. I wanted the small ship experience with a balcony and interesting itinerary and now, there is nothing left in my price range. If I wanted Oceania, I would have booked it! I thought everything was wonderful, but if they are going to raise their prices so high, they will lose people like me and a lot of others we spoke to and also raise expectations of those who can spend so much. At the new prices, people tend to get very picky. Experienced cruisers we spoke to said this cruise was sensational, but they were also aware of the excellent value it presented. They wanted a 'move-up' from ships like Celebrity etc. where they might take their kids for holiday cruises, to something better, but not as fancy as, say, Crystal. To my mind, Azamara was a fantastic 'niche' line which now wants to be in a different league which is already well serviced. They would have been better off trying to market to the niche, 40-65+ year olds, wanting something for themselves without the family, which does exist and could fill these 2 ships nicely. They got me on a ship...something I swore I would never do, and I loved it. But I also know I wouldn't love the huge vessels and crowds of the big ships or the formality of the luxury ships. Too bad it's over.

7 nites inc flight and 500$ offers on 3 october cruises from 1099£, im all booked up this year so no good for me im sure it will be a general offer

What category, how many nights. Perhaps someone can translate into US. Thanks.

What category, how many nights. Perhaps someone can translate into US. Thanks.

Ocean view (per a previous post by Gosport)

7 nights

3 sailings in October (embarkations from Rome & Barcelona)

flight included

$500 OBC

£1099 (= $1600 U.S.)

On ACC's site, the least expensive OV for those sailings is $1849 (plus taxes)

$500 OBC applies if you book prior to June 30th

flights not included, but they do offer a $500. pp choice air credit

From the title of this thread onward I've been amazed at how few people seem to understand how a business, and specifically a cruise line, goes about making a profit. Instead, most comments revolve around how the passenger can get the best deal, save money, find the best TA, etc. Despite posts by an experienced travel professional and others, myself included, attempting to explain that "full ships" and "financial success" are not the same thing, many posters continue to claim that Azamara is doomed because the prices are too high and the ships are sailing less than 100% "full." There seems to be a hope that by saying this often enough Azamara will relent and bring back the good old days of cheap, unprofitable cruises. I wouldn't count on that happening.

We have taken 3 Azamara cruises before they started the Club promotion and have noticed that prices have increased drastically. The three cruises were wonderful because of the size of the ship, service and the many people we met.

I also notice in many online discount cruise sites that Azamara is not filling the ships and are offering many promotions; prices are still higher than other lines to the same location.

We would love to do another Azamara cruise but the prices are keeping us away at this time. They have a very good product for older cruisers; very few kids, good itineraries and pleasant staff.

I think most cruise lines are struggling to fill their ships these days based on the number of great offers I receive from various lines via 'snail mail'. Today alone there were 3 in my mailbox.

For some reason, Oceania is much more successful in raising prices than Azamara. Oceania has been raising fares gradually but steeply (roughly at double the speed of others) through the last half dozen years. Now its pricing is roughly at 80+% of Seabourn/Silversea/RSSC, and yet its ships are generally full. Azamara is basically a product equal to Oceania, its present fares are perhaps 90% of Oceania, but it chose to increase its pricing in one step a few months ago from perhaps 60% Oceania fares to 90%. Somehow most customers (unlike agents) don't take to this kindly.

Archived