Are Azamara ships sailing full?

Erica@cruisecritic

As the 252nd post on this board subject, does it really matter anymore whether or not the ships sail full/fuller/fullest? The point of the matter is either AZ will meet their economic targets or they won't and if not, they will be history so pray for your non appearring post cruise gifts, they might be worth something on Ebay someday, like the deck of unopened cards I have from Braniff Airways. In the meantime, enjoy the ride no matter what price you paid.

Happy 4th:cool:

As the 252nd post on this board subject, does it really matter anymore whether or not the ships sail full/fuller/fullest? The point of the matter is either AZ will meet their economic targets or they won't and if not, they will be history so pray for your non appearring post cruise gifts, they might be worth something on Ebay someday, like the deck of unopened cards I have from Braniff Airways. In the meantime, enjoy the ride no matter what price you paid.

Happy 4th:cool:

Good post, and in the Grand Scheme of Things, I totally agree. On a personal level, the cost of cruising with Azamara is very important to me, but overall, if they do not show a profit, then they will not survive. We may disagree on how one approaches the market in order to achieve profitability, but that goal has to be met or no one is happy. On that we should all be able to agree.

( Italics in the quote mine.)

Good post, and in the Grand Scheme of Things, I totally agree. On a personal level, the cost of cruising with Azamara is very important to me, but overall, if they do not show a profit, then they will not survive. We may disagree on how one approaches the market in order to achieve profitability, but that goal has to be met or no one is happy. On that we should all be able to agree.

( Italics in the quote mine.)

I agree and concerned if they do not turn a profit will go out of business, or perhaps get rolled into Celebrity (the same way Princess has a number of smaller ships, and HAL has one).

I spoke with senior staff on my cruise last week, and was told that AZ should make a profit for the first time this year, and assuming it's big enough, new-build(s) for the brand will be commissioned.

I spoke with senior staff on my cruise last week, and was told that AZ should make a profit for the first time this year, and assuming it's big enough, new-build(s) for the brand will be commissioned.

Wow. That sounds very promising.

That is good news indeed - thanks for posting this.

as I've been saying...

it's not how full the ships are sailing, it's the ADR based on yield manangement that will determine if they turn a profit.

It is irrelevant if Oceania was sold out or not. If you don't have access to their financials..then you will never have an actual picture of Ocenias success.

it is actually beneficial to sail less full with a higher ADR

Not to be contrary, but if I were Azamara, and I turned a profit this year for the first time, I would plow it back into refurbishing or updating the Quest and the Journey so that they sparkled, rather than think about new construction.

Just my thinking.

Not to be contrary, but if I were Azamara, and I turned a profit this year for the first time, I would plow it back into refurbishing or updating the Quest and the Journey so that they sparkled, rather than think about new construction.

Just my thinking.

Hear, hear!

Sue

I Have been reading around on other lines posted on Cruise Critic and guess what,there are many lines NOT sailing full.

I have never seen so many last minute deals available- Alaska cruises are a steal right now.When luxury 5 star lines are selling discounted rooms on the Costco website tells me Cruise lines are pulling out every move on the board to fill rooms.

This economy is not robust and the returns are not flowing from investments which I think have an effect on cruise line bookings.

Remember to vote this Fall!

Not sure if I really want to revive this thread but feel that I should be fair and report that, suddenly, all the suites except four of the PH now appear to have sold on our next A cruise. I have not been watching the Sky Suites closely but three RS and one PH have gone since last week.

At this rate there will be nothing to use as a bingo prize!

Sue

FYI, heard that a very recent Quest sailing had 420 passengers. My upcoming Journey sailing is currently 70% booked.

Those kind of numbers should make for some VERY happy and well served customers!

I wonder how ecstatic the Azamara Bean Counters will be.........

From what I am reading here, it seems that AZ must be doing something wrong.

I surprised the DW (she is away and this is her login) with a suite the Quest Tour of Italy, Oct 2, just the other day. The very low single supplement made it hard to pass up. With 2 for 1, $500 OBC, singles as low as 125% and interline rates (I found this out on next thread) at from under $85 an night for an inside to a max of $200 a night for a suite, I would have thought the ship would be full. However, I still see about a third of the suites are available and dozens of standard cabins in all classes on the wife's departure.

It sure seems like AZ can't attract passengers not matter what they try. At the same time, some of their attempts at filling cabins appear to be alienating early bookers and their repeat base.

RCCL has pretty deep pockets but, if low occupancy is true, I wonder how long they can really support AZ?

PG's Hubby

From what I am reading here, it seems that AZ must be doing something wrong.

I surprised the DW (she is away and this is her login) with a suite the Quest Tour of Italy, Oct 2, just the other day. The very low single supplement made it hard to pass up. With 2 for 1, $500 OBC, singles as low as 125% and interline rates (I found this out on next thread) at from under $85 an night for an inside to a max of $200 a night for a suite, I would have thought the ship would be full. However, I still see about a third of the suites are available and dozens of standard cabins in all classes on the wife's departure.

It sure seems like AZ can't attract passengers not matter what they try. At the same time, some of their attempts at filling cabins appear to be alienating early bookers and their repeat base.

RCCL has pretty deep pockets but, if low occupancy is true, I wonder how long they can really support AZ?

PG's Hubby

So, you are sending PG to Italy without you.

You realize if you don't tell her PG will find this thread :)

What is an interline rate? Thanks.

It's a significantly discounted cruise fare. From a popular on line cruise agency site:

Azamara Club Cruises offers interline discounts on select sailings to (name of agency) customers who are currently employed with a domestic or international commercial passenger airline, Federal Express, Astar Air Cargo, or United Parcel Service (UPS). These guests may book up to two staterooms at the interline discount. The following guests are eligible to book one stateroom at the interline discount; Spouse or Parent of an airline employee (as listed above), and employees of Sabre, Worldspan, Galileo/Apollo, or Amadeus. Retired airline employees are also eligible provided the airline is still in operation (e.g. retired employees of Eastern Airline do not qualify). Qualifying employees must present an I.D. badge from their respective company at the pier.

The site gives prices, and shows a 14 day Best of Italy cruise starting @ $1050 for an inside, $1400 for an OV, $1750 pp for a balcony and $2800 for a suite.

would interline rates apply if you work for those cos in the UK ?

It doesn't say on the website that I quoted above, but whoever you book your cruise with in the UK would be able to provide an answer.

I learned about interline rates on our first cruise (on Cunard) when our table mates told us of the ridiculously low price they paid ... a fraction of what we had paid. But they also told us they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the discount, so it was hard not to be happy for them (they were a really nice couple; not boastful about their good fortune with the cruise price...just glad that they could enjoy that luxury on a TWA pension.)

jade13,

I told my wife about her cruise on Monday. Yesterday, she left for Alaska for a few weeks for a photo shoot in places like Lake Clark, Redoubt Bay and Katmai. She won't be looking at the internet out there. In most places there is no phone either, unless you have a satellite phone with you.

I hardly ever travel anymore, did too much of it in a former job. Taking care of the dogs, digging holes (as my wife says) around our property with my backhoe, flying my little helicopter, that is my idea of getting away from the rigors of the office.

Sue,

$2800 for a suite is a little different than the rest of the world pays, although I believe that none of the extras like OBC or air, etc. are given to anyone on these fares. It really shouldn't bother anyone. The travel industry has always provided discounts to their employees. However, things like free flights for airline employees, free cruises for cruise line employees, etc. do lower the paycheck these folks receive compared to the same job in other industries. Also, I looked on one of the "interline" websites and the reduced interline cruise fares on some lines appear to be in places that I wouldn't want, like the lowest deck, over the engine, the first two cabins in the bow. I don't even think some of the lines provide a confirmed cabin until these people arrive at the dock.

gosport11,

I don't think it makes any difference what country someone works in. A British Airways employee would be eligible for the same fare as an American Airlines employee or a Kenya Airways employee.

PG's Hubby

Archived