NO BARGAIN for Princess & single cruise travel !

mediaman

Welcome to the wonderful world of traveling solo. It's expensive.

Here are some tips I've learned:

Look for good sales (often paying 200% of a low fare is less than paying 150% of a regular fare). Keep an eye out for the rare "No single supplement" offers. Princess doesn't tend to do this often, unfortunately.

Book your own air, hotels, etc. wherever possible. Princess pre- and post-cruise packages and Princess air is usually no bargain whether you are cruising solo or not.

BTW, hotels in Europe often have a "single rate" room. Just be aware that these rooms are often about the size of a closet and usually face the alley. :rolleyes: If, like me, you don't spend a lot of time in your hotel room, it's fine.

do you mean that you get a credit for each person?

We have done a few cruises as a couple and have only got 1 credit for each cruise is this right? On the last cruise we only got 1 credit and that was for a mini suite.

Yes, if you sail double occupancy each person gets one cruise credit in the Captain's Circle. If you sail solo or get a full suite (not a mini), you get two credits. If you sail solo and get a full suite, you get three credits.

The single supplement percentage is irrelevant. Princess often requires 200% for all categories.

But that's a bargain compared, for example, to HAL where a 150% Sgl Supp cabin will almost always

cost more $$ than the Princess 200% for a higher category with similar itineraries and dates.

A couple years back Princess alone began giving double cruise credit to solos. Achieving Platinum double speed has significant monetary value.

BTW - I once happily paid the 150% hotel charge. It was a good deal because the 150% was less than I would have paid booking direct.

I recently booked my first RCI cruises (B2B) and discovered their fares, also at 200%, are less than Princess rates.:D

Don't kvetch about the rates. Focus on the bottom line $$$$ comparisons.

I am booked on Norwegian EPIC in one of the Studios, single cabins on a 13 day Barcelona-Miami TA next Oct. for a price of $899.

A 7 day Caribbean itinerary on this ship for the same cabin will cost $799.

I'd say I scored a bargain!:D

We have booked as a couple on Crown Princess for Canada leaf peeping cruise and our travel companion cousin who is single is expected to pay 200% + $24 for a lower category cabin. This just does not make sense. This single usually buys much more on ship (occasionally has wine or mixed drink and we are no alchol). She goes on the same excursions as we do. We have over 125 days sailing together but she has to pay so much more. I am grateful for the discount but feel badly that our cousin is treated so much less well. This is discremination based on couple status.

We have booked as a couple on Crown Princess for Canada leaf peeping cruise and our travel companion cousin who is single is expected to pay 200% + $24 for a lower category cabin. This just does not make sense. This single usually buys much more on ship (occasionally has wine or mixed drink and we are no alchol). She goes on the same excursions as we do. We have over 125 days sailing together but she has to pay so much more. I am grateful for the discount but feel badly that our cousin is treated so much less well. This is discremination based on couple status.

Under 'C' it has always been 170% then 200% above 'C'....Then if a 'special 'plus past passenger credits lower again.

Personally I do feel a few couples are very unemphatic towards solo passengers . Not knowing and having no interest for the underlying reasons for traveling this way.

One has to be very careful with whom one chooses to share that small space on a long journey.Even ones closest friends.

do you mean that you get a credit for each person?

We have done a few cruises as a couple and have only got 1 credit for each cruise is this right? On the last cruise we only got 1 credit and that was for a mini suite.

If you are cruising as a single on Princess (and often paying 200%), you get credit for two cruises. It's about time Princess gave singles a break.

Under 'C' it has always been 170% then 200% above 'C'....Then if a 'special 'plus past passenger credits lower again.

Personally I do feel a few couples are very unemphatic towards solo passengers . Not knowing and having no interest for the underlying reasons for traveling this way.

One has to be very careful with whom one chooses to share that small space on a long journey.Even ones closest friends.

Sorry,Kruisy but I do not understand a couple of things. What is "C"?

What do you mean by "Not knowing and having no interest...."

Sorry,Kruisy but I do not understand a couple of things. What is "C"?

What do you mean by "Not knowing and having no interest...."

The letter 'C' is used in Princess language as Catagory 'C' cabin Ocean View Deluxe and above ,Balconies,Mini Suites, and suites. All these cabins are 200%. Lower 'D' Catagory to 'M' 170% of a couples rate.

Second answer a few couples think it only right that a solo pay the double rate. They feel if they wont their price the solo should share.Have I got this right?

I am booked on Norwegian EPIC in one of the Studios, single cabins on a 13 day Barcelona-Miami TA next Oct. for a price of $899.

A 7 day Caribbean itinerary on this ship for the same cabin will cost $799.

I'd say I scored a bargain!:D

Wow, that sounds great. I'm looking forward to trying out the Epic studios at some point, so I'm jealous. :cool:

I paid double for my cruise next month. Where do I see this 'double credit'? In my personalizer? I am a total newbie solo cruiser and delighted I will get credit for 2 cruises!

Go to Princess.com.

Sign in

To the upper left, it will say "You have sailed x times". Click on this.

This will show you completed and booked cruises and the number of credits for each

Go to Princess.com.

Sign in

To the upper left, it will say "You have sailed x times". Click on this.

This will show you completed and booked cruises and the number of credits for each

Also you can sign is, as Paul says, then click on 'PROFILE' on the right hand upper corner. Then on the next page click on 'cruise history' and it will show you all of your past cruises, ships and their dates, and tell you the amount of cruise credits you received for each one of them in the far right column.

Is the two credits thing new?

I have two past princess cruises and i cruised solo in a mni-suite. I checked my account, as suggeseted above, and it shows 1 credit for each of those cruises. One was in 2007and the other in 2008. Now it does show the cruise I'm booked on next week as giving me 2 credits. Should I have 2 credits for the older cruises?

Thanks.

This is discremination based on couple status.

Give me a break, there is no discrimination here. :rolleyes:

Several people have already made good points. Princess charges single cruisers extra for two main reasons:

1. A single cruiser is taking up a cabin that is normally sold for two people. This means that if the pp rate was say $799, that if they did not charge extra for single occupancy, that they would lose $799 (or whatever the rate is). The surcharge is to make up for the money they would lose otherwise.

2. Two people will spend more on drinks/food/gifts/etc. I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure a large portion of the money the cruise line makes is on the 'extras' and a single person will typically spend less on such things than two people.

I have two past princess cruises and i cruised solo in a mni-suite. I checked my account, as suggeseted above, and it shows 1 credit for each of those cruises. One was in 2007and the other in 2008. Now it does show the cruise I'm booked on next week as giving me 2 credits. Should I have 2 credits for the older cruises?

Thanks.

It came into effect around December 05 2008.......I was on a B2B at that time my first got 1 point only. Second portion got two.

Thanks.

I just checked my past cruises on Princess, and the first cruise we sailed after the 2 credits came into effect was January 2, 2009. Since we were in a suite, we received two credits for that cruise each. So, it was just before that time that it came into effect.

Thanks.

It started in early 2009 with no retroactive credit.

You might want to take a look at the new Norwegian Epic. She, apparently, has 128 single occupancy rooms.

I've seen their single cabins. As tiny as they are, I think I'd rather stay home than stay in one of those.

I apologize if this is too much off topic but the cruise credit thing has me confused. Last May, my DH and I went on an Alaskan cruise and they upgraded us to Platinum as part of the offer. We thought it was just for that particular cruise. We've just booked a cruise for the fall and I was checking on the Princess website under my DH's cruise history. It shows that he was given credit twice for our two previous cruises, one for the Alaskan cruise, and he is showing up as Platinum. I, however, am still a Gold. Is that common for spouses? Does it matter? Should I leave well enough alone?

And if I should post this somewhere else, let me know and I'll start a new thread. Thank you.

I apologize if this is too much off topic but the cruise credit thing has me confused. Last May, my DH and I went on an Alaskan cruise and they upgraded us to Platinum as part of the offer. We thought it was just for that particular cruise. We've just booked a cruise for the fall and I was checking on the Princess website under my DH's cruise history. It shows that he was given credit twice for our two previous cruises, one for the Alaskan cruise, and he is showing up as Platinum. I, however, am still a Gold. Is that common for spouses? Does it matter? Should I leave well enough alone?

And if I should post this somewhere else, let me know and I'll start a new thread. Thank you.

It sounds like there has been an error made. Those deals where you are given platinum status for that one cruise have no reflection on your status in the Captain Circle afterwards, or the number of cruise credits you receive (unless you were booked in a full suite). The double cruise credit is only for those booking a full suite OR traveling solo.

The double credits policy went into effect for all sailings on or after December 7, 2008.

My first Princess cruise was three months earlier and I only got the one credit, but since Platinum only takes five credits I still reached that milestone two cruises later (the extra credit would have made no difference there -- ditto for Elite, if I'm so lucky! :)).

Archived