Venice People Mover Open and Running

euro cruiser

A one-time use ticket (good for 90 minutes from first use) is good for both land and water transit:

1,70 € - TICKET FOR LAND+WATER

The ticket allows travel along a mixed route (land and water). It is valid for 90 minutes from stamping but is not valid for return journeys, not even if made during time of its validity. Interchange is allowed. Can be purchased from the Hellovenezia ticket desks and the authorized resellers.

Euro cruiser....I think the price above is wrong. This is only for people who have bought a discount card (mostly residents which cost 40 Euro) and is a CARTAVENEZIA CARD FARE. The actual price for a 60 minute ticket for Bus and Vaperetto is 6,50 Euro. If someone expects to take three or more Vaperetto during the day it is better value to get a one day ticket.

Euro cruiser....I think the price above is wrong. This is only for people who have bought a discount card (mostly residents which cost 40 Euro) and is a CARTAVENEZIA CARD FARE. The actual price for a 60 minute ticket for Bus and Vaperetto is 6,50 Euro. If someone expects to take three or more Vaperetto during the day it is better value to get a one day ticket.

You are right, it is the Cartavenezia fare. The regular fare is 6,50 ... sorry for the confusion.

All of this will probably be a moot point for those people (like myself) whose ships dock at San Basilio (a fair distance from Maritima).

So, if we are not coming from the airport (as we will be arriving to spend 2 nights pre cruise in Venice), what is the best way to get to San Basilio?

Thanks,

tt

So, if we are not coming from the airport (as we will be arriving to spend 2 nights pre cruise in Venice), what is the best way to get to San Basilio?

Thanks,

tt

Depends on where your hotel is and convenience vs. cost.

San Basilio has it's own vaporetto stop on the No 2 and No 61/62 lines. It is between 350 and 600 yards depending on which end your ship is moored at. There is one bridge: the Ponte Molin. I don't know if it has steps or not. Land taxis can reach the pier from Piazzale Roma. You could walk to San Basilio but it would be a hassle unless your hotel were nearby. As always, water taxi is the most convenient and elegant solution. There is a detailed discussion at http://www.veniceforvisitors.com. You can see all the details on google earth or google maps. A good map is always necessary for Venice

• 2 weeks later...

I am so confused! Our ship leaves from S. Marta Dock and I believe San Basilio is our closest stop. I figured that I need to take # 61 Vaporetto from Piazza Roma but I see now that this only operates on weekdays. We board on a Sunday. Can anyone help, please?

Sheila.

I am so confused! Our ship leaves from S. Marta Dock and I believe San Basilio is our closest stop. I figured that I need to take # 61 Vaporetto from Piazza Roma but I see now that this only operates on weekdays. We board on a Sunday. Can anyone help, please?

Sheila.

I'm surprised your cruise line doesn't provide more info. It's supposed to be luxury. Have you tried them? I would have thought transfers might be included.

As far as I can tell you have 3 options. According to this website http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-easy.com/venice-port.html and Google maps San basilio can be reached by LAND TAXI from either the airport or Piazzal Roma. That would appear to be your best bet. I don't have personal experience with San basilio. http://www.veniceforvisitors.com confirms that you can reach san basilio by land taxi.

"If no shuttle bus is available and you're departing from San Basilio, you can take a land taxi or walk down to the vaporetto platforms and catch an Actv water bus to the S. Basilio stop. (Take a route 2 or 61 boat, and be prepared to pay a separate fare for your luggage if you're carrying more than two bags of reasonable size. See our Venice Vaporetto Fares article for prices"

you would then walk several hundred yards to your left from the Vaporetto dock and over a small bridge the Ponte Molin. Be careful; the no 2 travels in both directions. Check before boarding

Option 3 is a water taxi. Expensive but worth every penny.

Venice is fantastic. Don't get discouraged. Buy a map before you go

Thank you, Earl. Good question about the transfers. I just booked a couple of days ago and all I have are E. docs. which make no mention. This will be our first time on Windstar.

I will certainly ask them if transfers are available but if the answer is no then I'll quit fussing and just take a land taxi from Piazza Roma which is where we turn in our rental car. We are touring Northern Slovenia before the cruise and will spend a few days in Venice at the end of the cruise.

Thank you again -- very kind of you to take the time.

Sheila.

Sheila.

Sheila, Here is more confirmation. This is a photo of the sign post showing the road to S. Marta and San Basilio where it leaves the main Venice to Mainland highway. The intersection is on the Ponte della Liberta.

You can find it yourself on Google maps or google earth. Good luck. Enjoy your cruise and Venice

1277798813_SanBasilio.jpg.f054dc2d4abf43c9fd0ed36e15f15832.jpg

Thank you, Earl. Good question about the transfers. I just booked a couple of days ago and all I have are E. docs. which make no mention. This will be our first time on Windstar.

I will certainly ask them if transfers are available but if the answer is no then I'll quit fussing and just take a land taxi from Piazza Roma which is where we turn in our rental car. We are touring Northern Slovenia before the cruise and will spend a few days in Venice at the end of the cruise.

Thank you again -- very kind of you to take the time.

Sheila.

We crossed paths in the ether. If you are driving in, why not drive to the port (it's only 1 km or so), drop your luggage, then return your car to Piazzal Roma and take the no 2. Vaporettos are fun if you haven't been there before

For those interested - they have finished the walkways from the Tronchetto stop of the people mover to the entrance of the cruise port. This is still a walk with a raised bridge crossing the canal then taking you to the entrance of the port. From here you could have 1km to walk depending on where your ship is docked.

You cannot yet walk from the Tronchetto vaporetto stop along the water front to the entrance of the people mover however it looks like that will be something that can be done in the future.

There still looks like work to be done on the Marittima stop ( external) and no confirmed date has yet been given for it opening.

For those interested - they have finished the walkways from the Tronchetto stop of the people mover to the entrance of the cruise port. This is still a walk with a raised bridge crossing the canal then taking you to the entrance of the port. From here you could have 1km to walk depending on where your ship is docked.

You cannot yet walk from the Tronchetto vaporetto stop along the water front to the entrance of the people mover however it looks like that will be something that can be done in the future.

There still looks like work to be done on the Marittima stop ( external) and no confirmed date has yet been given for it opening.

Thanks for the update :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will be taking the cruise leaving Venice on June 19th and found: In the Royal Caribbean Guest Ticket Booklet, page 8, it states "At the Piazzale Roma where you will be able to take a complimentary shuttle to the terminal". These are the directions from the railway station to the pier.

I have also emailed Royal Caribbean to verify the information. If I hear anything different I will let you know. Hope this helps.

I will be taking the cruise leaving Venice on June 19th and found: In the Royal Caribbean Guest Ticket Booklet, page 8, it states "At the Piazzale Roma where you will be able to take a complimentary shuttle to the terminal". These are the directions from the railway station to the pier.

I have also emailed Royal Caribbean to verify the information. If I hear anything different I will let you know. Hope this helps.

Is this just for embarkation/disembarkation or for Venice as a port-of-call?

This information is from RCCL cruise ticket booklet. Shuttle is operated continuously on day of embarkation. I do not know about disembarkation but I will email RCCL and try to find out.

Returned today from Venice. We were there 4 days and never saw work being done on the people mover. Most people in Venice still don't seem to know it "will" exist. Seems to be mostly tourists who are aware of it. I believe I saw what looks to be part of the people mover at the port.

Just returned yesterday from the "Splendour of the Seas" 7 day R/T from Venice, all cruiselines have shuttles which run from the D1, D2 area of Piazza Roma to the ship, begins around 10:30 am till ship cruises.

Opposite side of Grand Canal and railway bridge.

• 4 weeks later...

The Marittima (Cruise port) People Mover station is now reported to be open. A CCer said it is about 50yds from the cruise terminal, but I guess it depends where your ship is docked, according to this thread....

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3715609-People_Mover_located_in_Piazzale_Roma_Venice_Italy-Venice_Veneto.html

The Marittima (Cruise port) People Mover station is now reported to be open. A CCer said it is about 50yds from the cruise terminal, but I guess it depends where your ship is docked, according to this thread....

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3715609-People_Mover_located_in_Piazzale_Roma_Venice_Italy-Venice_Veneto.html

Here is a couple of pictures I took of the Venice People Mover from the top deck of our cruise ship, Splendour of the Seas on May 22, 2010. The distance is farther than 50 yards. We were docked at slip #117

2125996270079335670S600x600Q85.jpg

Zoom Lens

2846627210079335670S600x600Q85.jpg

Port Map

Mappa-del-Porto-HighQuality.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures I took of the Venice People Mover from the top deck of our cruise ship, Splendour of the Seas on May 22, 2010. The distance is farther than 50 yards. We were docked at slip #117

Thanks for the pics. We are at 117 as well on embarkation.

The map does not show the Marittima stop but from what I can see it appears to be near slip 103....is that correct? It seems to be not too far from the luggage drop off.

Ok I've read this entire thread (very helpful)...but still have a question...hopefully some knowledgeable person can help me.

Will the ACTV 12 hour card work on the Alilaguna M line from the Marittima port to San Marco (St Mark's Plaza)? or is the Alilaguna Line a private company. AND where would I go at the Marittima Port to catch the Alilaguna Line?

Archived