Venice People Mover Open and Running

euro cruiser

what about getting from the airport to the port? Any suggestions on how to get there using min. amount of money but with the most ease? I was told Alilguana (sorry if its misspelled) can take me to the port, but I couldnt find a direct route. I found one from the airport to san marco an then san marco to the port. Is that the easiest way? Do we got off one boat and then try and find the other one? Do we pay twice?

Maybe a regular road taxi?

Most Cruiselines will have a free shuttle from Piazzale Roma to the ship the day of the cruise, look for the ship name in the front window, this has been reported by many cruisers and I will find out first hand in 4 weeks.

Well, one would think so, but my TA says he spoke with Princess and the only xfer they are offering was to the airport! :mad:

what about getting from the airport to the port? Any suggestions on how to get there using min. amount of money but with the most ease? I was told Alilguana (sorry if its misspelled) can take me to the port, but I couldnt find a direct route. I found one from the airport to san marco an then san marco to the port. Is that the easiest way? Do we got off one boat and then try and find the other one? Do we pay twice?

You can go by water, but it's much faster and cheaper to go by land taxi. About 20 - 30 minutes, depending on traffic, and about 25 - 30 Euro.

I'm the guy who shot the Venice Travel Blog videos of the People Mover that was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'd like to clear up any confusion about the People Mover's usefulness for cruise passengers:

1) The station at the Marittima cruise basin isn't yet in operation.

2) The Marittima station is *outside* the Marittima basin, just before the entrance to the cruise port.

3) The Marittima People Mover station is close to the Marittima ship berths, but it's nowhere near the San Basilio pier ...

Note: Cruise passengers CAN walk from the Piazzale Roma to the Venice cruise terminals with luggage, but the 15- or 20-minute walk is dreary and isn't convenient if you travel with as much baggage as most cruise passengers do.

Thank-you for that information.

Can you address the proximity of the Tronchetto stop - which is reported to be operational at this time – to berth VE110, which is where the Ruby Princess is scheduled to dock on July 4.

Is it a fairly short and fairly flat walk?

Thanks,

Terry

Thank-you for that information.

Can you address the proximity of the Tronchetto stop - which is reported to be operational at this time – to berth VE110' date=' which is where the Ruby Princess is scheduled to dock on July 4.

Is it a fairly short and fairly flat walk?

Thanks,

Terry[/quote']

Tronchetto, Venice's parking island, is across the water (and a bridge) from the cruise port. In theory, one might be able to walk from Tronchetto to the cruise port (I haven't tried it), but it would be less stressful to take the People Mover to the Piazzale Roma and hire a taxi unless you're traveling with a minimum of luggage. If you can afford Tronchetto's parking rates (16 euros a day outdoors, 21 euros per day in the garage), the price of a short cab ride between the Piazzale Roma and your ship should be manageable.

BTW, here's a link to an official port map that may be useful:

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

Tronchetto, Venice's parking island, is across the water (and a bridge) from the cruise port. In theory, one might be able to walk from Tronchetto to the cruise port (I haven't tried it), but it would be less stressful to take the People Mover to the Piazzale Roma and hire a taxi unless you're traveling with a minimum of luggage. If you can afford Tronchetto's parking rates (16 euros a day outdoors, 21 euros per day in the garage), the price of a short cab ride between the Piazzale Roma and your ship should be manageable.

BTW, here's a link to an official port map that may be useful:

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

Thank-you, but I’m afraid you miss my intent.

Our post cruise hotel is (intentionally) very near Piazza Roma. I’m looking for a way to get from the cruise dock to P. Roma, so we can then walk the short distance to The Carlton Grand Canal.

Since Princess is not offering xfers (except to the airport) I’m looking for a way from the dock to P. Roma. I thought that the People Mover was a good option, assuming we can easily walk from the dock to the Tronchetto People Mover station. (Or an alternative is the Tronchetto Vaporetto station.) Either way, is the walk from the cruise dock (berth VE110 according to the web site you provided) to Tronchetto relatively short and flat. Is the single bridge that it looks like we need to get over a big ‘high arched” affair, or just enough for the local Vaporetto to get under?

Thanks,

Terry

This question has been asked in the Venice forum of trip advisor and the LOCAL folks who answered said they thought is would be difficult with luggage. They did not give a good description of the bridge but depending on where your ship docks it could be up to a 1/2 mile walk. In addition to reach the people mover you use an escalator so you'd have to be able to handle your luggage easily on that too.

I think one person will just have to try it and report back to be sure but it does not sound easy for the average cruiser.

Our post cruise hotel is (intentionally) very near Piazza Roma. I’m looking for a way to get from the cruise dock to P. Roma' date=' so we can then walk the short distance to The Carlton Grand Canal.

Terry[/quote']

Terry, since the people mover is not open yet at the cruise terminal, you can take a taxi, lined up outside the terminal, to the P. Roma. I did this. I think it cost about $12 USD for the short ride, but was worth it to me. Can't remember if it was 12 E or $12USD. People didn't queue up and it was frustrating to get a cab, because everyone was vying for the same one, but we persevered.

Thanks for all the info. I am hoping there will be a shuttle offered by the cruiseline, but it appears we will have to wait until we arrived to find that out. Or, of course, read first hand accounts when people return from this week's cruise. The port website mentions a shuttle, but says you have to contact the cruise operator to find out whether it is operating - the people on NCl phones have no clue.

Terry, since the people mover is not open yet at the cruise terminal, you can take a taxi, lined up outside the terminal, to the P. Roma. I did this. I think it cost about $12 USD for the short ride, but was worth it to me. Can't remember if it was 12 E or $12USD. People didn't queue up and it was frustrating to get a cab, because everyone was vying for the same one, but we persevered.

If cabs are available, I'd be very happy - but other posts have suggested that they are not generally available - thus my search for options.

I think you hit it on the head when you said we'll just have to wait for the first few cruises to complete in Venice and see what others report.

Thanks,

Terry

Thank-you' date=' but I’m afraid you miss my intent.

Our post cruise hotel is (intentionally) very near Piazza Roma. I’m looking for a way to get from the cruise dock to P. Roma, so we can then walk the short distance to The Carlton Grand Canal.

Since Princess is not offering xfers (except to the airport) I’m looking for a way from the dock to P. Roma. I thought that the People Mover was a good option, assuming we can easily walk from the dock to the Tronchetto People Mover station. (Or an alternative is the Tronchetto Vaporetto station.) Either way, is the walk from the cruise dock (berth VE110 according to the web site you provided) to Tronchetto relatively short and flat. Is the single bridge that it looks like we need to get over a big ‘high arched” affair, or just enough for the local Vaporetto to get under?

Thanks,

Terry[/quote']

Terry, You can see it for yourself on Google earth or google maps (satellite view).. Copy and paste these numbers into the search field 45.435210,12.307802 Don't forget the comma. the green arrow will be at your berth. From there it is 550 yards more or less to the end of the dock. This is where you would normally get a taxi or the /6 actv bus. From there it is another 500 yards to the Tronchetto station. The bridge is a car bridge (no stairs) with a sidewalk separated from the car lane by a guardrail. The station has an elevator (lift for the Brits). If all goes well, 4 minutes and 1 E later you will be at the west side of Piazzal Roma. Early reviews of the people mover have been very negative but then so were the early reviews of the Vancouver winter Olympics- the best winter olympics ever. We shall see.

Earl, This is a copy of what the Venice expert who lives IN Venice says about the bridge:

Destination Expert info.gif for Venice

The bridge that connects Tronchetto to the entrance of the maritime area is a hump bridge but I don't think it has any paving / sidewalks(??)on it to be honest. It might have on the actual bridge but certainly not before it.

Just before it is the bridge which the people mover goes over.

If people are thinking of attempting to walk from Tronchetto to the maritime area they are MAD. For a start they would have to walk past the parking ( no sidewalks) then over the bridge - to the entrance and then they have to walk to the ship!Piazzale Roma is probably nearer and I wouldn't suggest walking that with the wardrobe cases people take on cruises!

Good to know the people mover is running,all the questions here is for cruisers with luggage,for us venice is a port day,so we have no luggage and we can walk .Any advice on how and where is it best to take the people mover to Saint Marc square?

The People Mover does NOT go to San Marco Square.

For your port day you'll either walk or use the vaporetto system of water buses to get around Venice.

The People Mover is not open yet at the cruise port, even when open it just will go from the cruise port to Piazzale Roma or to Tronchetto .

It would help if you looked at a map to see what we are discussing. Google maps will give you an overview. Otherwise a guide book would be helpful.

Terry: I have been reading this as we are also in Venice for a day. I found this site and thought you might even contact them with your question, if it is not answered (I don't know which hotel you are at)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels.htm

For those only in port for a day, they have an all day water taxi pass for your time... and do NOT buy on the ship. One lady reported she paid $35/pp.:eek:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-fares.htm

Earl, This is a copy of what the Venice expert who lives IN Venice says about the bridge:

Destination Expert info.gif for Venice

The bridge that connects Tronchetto to the entrance of the maritime area is a hump bridge but I don't think it has any paving / sidewalks(??)on it to be honest. It might have on the actual bridge but certainly not before it.

Just before it is the bridge which the people mover goes over.

If people are thinking of attempting to walk from Tronchetto to the maritime area they are MAD. For a start they would have to walk past the parking ( no sidewalks) then over the bridge - to the entrance and then they have to walk to the ship!Piazzale Roma is probably nearer and I wouldn't suggest walking that with the wardrobe cases people take on cruises!

Riff, Looks like your local expert hasn't seen it for him or herself. We shall see.

OK Earl, she LIVES in Venice. She wrote her own answer on the other thread . Her Cruise Critic screen name has rosa or rose in it soooo I guess we won't take her advice until one of the cruisers tries it. So be it. I was just trying to be helpful.

Well Earl - I certainly won't bother coming back to Cruise Critic to HELP people with up to date local infomation from a person who LIVES in VENICE works in tourism.... by the way my car is parked in Tronchetto and I have watched the people mover being built as obviously I post incorrect info just to confuse people.

To clarfy what I posted:

On leaving TRonchetto vaporetto stop : You walk either on the ROAD or cross and pass through a car park. If the ferry has arrived from Lido then it is busy. Mind you you could take the 6/ bus 1 stop to the entrance of the Maritime area. You then walk a curving road passing under the main Tronchetto parking. There is then another strech with NO sidewalk. This then passes the entrance to the people mover. They will I expect be building sidewalks but for now you would have to walk on the road or behind plastic ballards. The road then goes to the bridge - no steps but it is up - it crosses a pretty wide canal. There is a sidewalk but I think it is on the opposite side so you will need to cross again to get into the Maritime area. Depending on where your ship is docked you then could have another 1km to walk.

As you are aware temps in Venice can get high with a large percentage of humidity hence my suggestion that taking either the 6/ or a taxi or even better the cruise shuttle is better from Piazzale Roma.

When the Maritime stop opens as I have said it will be interesting to see what facilities will be available for those taking luggage. The mover is elevated and I hope they have but in an elevator - It looks like Escalators have been fitted but it remains to be seen if luggage can be taken on them- One hopes they will have put the strong ones in.

I was going to reply to other threads on Guides, buses, taxis, local transport but I will not be bothering- Happy Crusing to those who have found this helpful and come over to Trip Advisor for the latest updates on what is happening.

Well Earl - I certainly won't bother coming back to Cruise Critic to HELP people with up to date local infomation from a person who LIVES in VENICE works in tourism.....

It's too bad that you will not keep posting here :(, I'm sure that there are many CCers who appreciate help from locals. I do, and thank you. I had not considered looking at Trip Advisor, but will do so now :)

Rosa: I hope you are still reading this and will continue to participate. This board is a very rough and "everyone" gets attacked -- so just avoid taking criticisms seriously.

If you are still reading this: I have 2 questions about buses. Is my reading correct that the Vaporetto Pass (48-hour) can be used on buses? What is the procedure when one boards a bus -- just show the pass. If one does not have a Pass how much is the fare and can one pay for it as one enters the bus?

Thank you.

Mind you you could take the 6/ bus 1 stop to the entrance of the Maritime area. You then walk a curving road passing under the main Tronchetto parking.

Is my reading correct that the Vaporetto Pass (48-hour) can be used on buses? What is the procedure when one boards a bus -- just show the pass. If one does not have a Pass how much is the fare and can one pay for it as one enters the bus?

Yes, the multi-hour passes are good on both. From the ACTV web site:

TOURIST TRAVEL CARDS

The Travel Cards are the most economical solution for people who want to get around Venice and its surroundings on Actv’s land and water services. They allow unlimited travel and can be used on all the services - both waterborne (except those of route Alilaguna, Clodia, Fusina) and on land - that provide urban services within the municipality ("Comune") of Venice (land services on the Lido and in Mestre).

Validity can be 12, 24, 36 48 or 72 hours from stamping, depending on the chosen tariff solution. Included in the price is the transport of one luggage item of up to 150 cm as the sum of its three dimensions.

Can be purchased from the Hellovenezia ticket desks and the authorized resellers.

They allow tourist coaches arriving at Venice main island to benefit from the ordinary "ZTL" (Limited Traffic Zone) tariff with ACTV public transport. (information: Hellovenezia call center +39 041 24.24).

• 16,00 € - 12-HOUR TRAVELCARD
  • 18,00 € - 24-HOUR TRAVELCARD
  • 23,00 € - 36-HOUR TRAVELCARD
  • 28,00 € - 48-HOUR TRAVELCARD
  • 33,00 € - 72-HOUR TRAVELCARD
  • 50,00 € - 7 DAYS TRAVELCARD

Web site: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice

You don't need to show your pass to anyone when you board a land bus, you simply must have it with you in case you are asked by a ticket inspector.

A one-time use ticket (good for 90 minutes from first use) is good for both land and water transit:

1,70 € - TICKET FOR LAND+WATER

The ticket allows travel along a mixed route (land and water). It is valid for 90 minutes from stamping but is not valid for return journeys, not even if made during time of its validity. Interchange is allowed. Can be purchased from the Hellovenezia ticket desks and the authorized resellers.

For those only in port for a day, they have an all day water taxi pass for your time... and do NOT buy on the ship. One lady reported she paid $35/pp.:eek:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-fares.htm

Thanks for the link. :-)

One thing to remember is that there isn't a vaporetto stop at the Marittima basin. You have to get to the Piazzale Roma by shuttle bus, cab, or on foot (about a 15-minute walk) and catch a vaporetto or walk to the tourist sights from there.

Archived