Dag Has Resigned

With respect to the issue of playing favorites, all you have to do is read a current world cruise blog to see it happening. It is clear he had at least one favorite on his last world cruise. It is understandable that that world cruiser loved Dag.

I think Dag was a very good captain. I enjoyed cruising with him. Don't care if he picked favorites. But I remember some of his "special" maneuvers. We were with him in 1974 when he put Voyager into a "special" maneuver in the middle of a narrow fjord so we could get a better view of a waterfall. The experience was sensational for all of us. A real WOW experience. Everyone loved it including us. But I remember commenting, as a private boater, to my partner: "I wonder what the folks who have $100 million invested in this ship would think of this little crowd pleaser! We wouldn't try this with our boat."

If Dag wasn't "special" in at least his own eyes, why would his schedule trump that of the captain scheduled to replace him? If company policy was three months on and three months off, three months on meant leaving Voyager in Cape Town. It meant the replacement captain resumed his scheduled duty in Cape Town.

On the other side, it is clear that Radisson/Regent chose to take advantage of his "specialness" when it suited them. My evidence: the Dag homecoming cruises. I was on the first one in 1974 and it was, indeed, special.

But there was considerably more to this whole situation than the Cape Town matter! It had been festering before the Apollo purchase. I don't know specifics. But I do know his departure was a relief to many folks as it was sadness to many more.

I will say that the beginning of the the WC was like Old Home Week with the repeat WC'ers as Dag and the staff were all over the WC faithfuls. My thought at the time was how many WC's do you have to do before you receive this family like treatment?

This is pretty indicative of all World Cruises on all the lines. You have people do it every year and they get a majority of the attention. When there are tips involved it gets really out of hand.

But Dag was a good Captain as Captains go. It's not his job to become personal friends with every single passenger.

Simple question with a difficult answer: What makes a "great" captain? A "good" captain?

To guests, is it a glib, public persona? Some perception of a "personal" connection"? Is it PR or quiet behind-the-scenes professionalism?

I would bet dollars to donuts that the answer is far different for corporate management. To the CEO, a captain is the division manager of one division (be it the Voyager or Mariner or whatever ship you name). It is management and performance of that "division" that matters.

So....may Captain Dag fare well in his future endeavors. But keep in mind just what a captain is REALLY charged with doing in his position -- and recognize that rarely meshes with external perceptions by guests of what a "great" captain does.

Excellent point for 'all' captains and ,of course, for many other job levels and roles.

I think we should also note passengers' expectations. I would find it impossible to name the captains at the helm of the various cruises I have taken. I don't belong to the cult of the captain and have no expectation that we will become friends, tablemates, chatty. I realize that not everyone feels the same way and see notes on CC asking who the capt will be on their upcoming cruise. My expectations are to appreciate an 'hello' or nod in the corridor and expert leadership/command.

That said, I found Capt Dag generally friendly to all whether on deck, in the pool at volleyball time or at his parties. I certainly did not begrudge him his friends. His enthusiasm did seem contagious at times and he conveyed a sense of fun & adventure. I admired his handling of a few sitcky situations I witnessed..........although certainly I could not be filling out any staff/crew's performance evaluation form!

Flyertalker, points well taken. However, as you have noted, the PR value of a captain in the eyes of the passenger is totally different from what a CEO expects, and the better he is at impressing the passengers in those areas, the better it is for the cruise line in future sales, whether it is schmoozing with those long time WC cruisers who book again and again, or a first time cruiser, who at least likes seeing him out and about, and greeting people.

I, like, PaulaJK, am not a captain/staff groupie or cultist. The only reason I have had the opportunity to dine with Dag a few times is the sheer fact of my number of cruise nights with Regent, nothing more. Doesn't affect my overall cruise experience whatsoever, he is just doing what the social hostess tells him.

My favorite things about Dag were his little diversions that perhaps do not gel with the "new way" on Regent under Apollo. Every passenger aboard with a sense of humore enjoyed them. Stopping at a port that was unannounced as a surprise, having the CD get off to waterski in the middle of the ocean, stopping on the water to buy waffles in Norway (or fresh fish anywhere), or to send off a tender with staff to break off part of an iceberg to display in Horizons at cocktail hour, or do some crazy thing meeting a freighter at some point and sending off a long-time entertainer with a toilet plunger on his head to deliver a bottle of liquor over some bet they had. None of these things jeopardized the safety of the ship or the passengers in any way, but brought whimsy and delight to the passengers. I could name so many more, but those days are OVER, and unfortunately, and we need to let them go!

I had the opportunity to chat with another R captain on a recent cruise. They have incentives directed by corporate. Fuel efficiency, safety and inspection, all related to nothing but the running and safety of the ship.

Nowadays, the captain under Apollo has been stripped of "supreme command" over the whole ship. No longer has prime authority over the "Hotel" end of things as I understand it. Frank delRio is welcome to beat me down on this one if I have my facts wrong! So I am even happier when a Captain now finds it worth the time to get out and do those PR things. It costs corporate nothing, but brings many rewards.

Edited by jhp

Does that mean no more pirouettes to spin the ship in front of Gibraltar so all sides could get a good view? (This was not Dag, btw.)

Or fresh fish bought in ports from fishermen? (Hope not!)

Funny about this supreme command thing. On my first Radisson cruise in 2000, it was made clear that the captain was in charge of the ship's crew, and the Hotel manager was in charge of the "hotel staff". Is this distinction still not in place?

Wendy, I hope that someone more knowledgable than myself will reply.

On our last few cruises it has been emphasized that the Hotel Manager/Director is in charge of everything except the bridge/navigation. I spoke with one [whose work I admire] who referred to it as 'my ship'. How that all exactly shakes out I do not know but it does seem like a change to me. At the same time it was also clear to me that the HM, Capt and CD are in very close communication everyday. I had no sense of a captain cast out to isolation in his ivory bridge.

JHP I agree with you....and love your choice of the word 'whimsy' and your conveying how much the pax enjoyed these moments. Although Dag has departed, I sincerely hope that not all of these moments have gone with him but as I write this I cannot think of a similar experience [Regent and other lines]. I have been on other lines where fresh fish and produce are boarded but not where you have sundowners on the bow of the ship.

Edited by PaulaJK

IF true, that is the second bad news as I looked at Regent Cruise yesterday and they no longer a reasonable single supplement.. so they will not get any of m $$$. I read that Regent is now owned by a co. called APPollo Do you know anything about that and could it be the reason Capt.Dag has resigned??

Flyertalker, points well taken. However, as you have noted, the PR value of a captain in the eyes of the passenger is totally different from what a CEO expects, and the better he is at impressing the passengers in those areas, the better it is for the cruise line in future sales, whether it is schmoozing with those long time WC cruisers who book again and again, or a first time cruiser, who at least likes seeing him out and about, and greeting people.

I, like, PaulaJK, am not a captain/staff groupie or cultist. The only reason I have had the opportunity to dine with Dag a few times is the sheer fact of my number of cruise nights with Regent, nothing more. Doesn't affect my overall cruise experience whatsoever, he is just doing what the social hostess tells him.

My favorite things about Dag were his little diversions that perhaps do not gel with the "new way" on Regent under Apollo. Every passenger aboard with a sense of humore enjoyed them. Stopping at a port that was unannounced as a surprise, having the CD get off to waterski in the middle of the ocean, stopping on the water to buy waffles in Norway (or fresh fish anywhere), or to send off a tender with staff to break off part of an iceberg to display in Horizons at cocktail hour, or do some crazy thing meeting a freighter at some point and sending off a long-time entertainer with a toilet plunger on his head to deliver a bottle of liquor over some bet they had. None of these things jeopardized the safety of the ship or the passengers in any way, but brought whimsy and delight to the passengers. I could name so many more, but those days are OVER, and unfortunately, and we need to let them go!

I had the opportunity to chat with another R captain on a recent cruise. They have incentives directed by corporate. Fuel efficiency, safety and inspection, all related to nothing but the running and safety of the ship.

Nowadays, the captain under Apollo has been stripped of "supreme command" over the whole ship. No longer has prime authority over the "Hotel" end of things as I understand it. Frank delRio is welcome to beat me down on this one if I have my facts wrong! So I am even happier when a Captain now finds it worth the time to get out and do those PR things. It costs corporate nothing, but brings many rewards.

You got that right JHP you have to phone home to get permission to do anything. I remember leaving Bora Bora, there was this little island. We were standing above the bridge and talking with him about doing a tour and going around that island just for fun. He went inside and came back out and we headed West. He really wanted to go around that island and the frustration was written all over his face.

When I got hurt over something he came down to the ER in the middle of the night. He came back the next day and had the staff set up a TV in my room. When I recovered he made sure I knew how glad he was that I was okay. That was the last time I saw him in Cape Town.

I don't get excited about hob nobing with the Captain but I will be following his career. I would pick another line if he was in control.

He should of been allowed to complete the WC, the whole thing the way it was handled with all the spin and rummers was a PR Nightmare for Apollo.

I am not a Dag-groupie, or any other type of groupie for that matter, but we really enjoyed him as captain, esp the little special surprises..

And there were a few incidents on our recent cruise that had my husband saying "This would have never happened if Capt. Dag were still here." And my husband was right. I am certain the tender incident in Falmouth would have either not happened entirely or been handled in a much better fashion.

and think WC11 and PaulaJK have hit the nail right on the head too.

We never had the pleasure of sailing on the Song of Flower, but did meet Captain Dag on the shakedown, christening and maiden cruises of the Voyager. He was special - going behind that island coming out of Dubrovnik, blowing the foghorn and having the nuns come running, ringing their bells was just one example. We booked the first two segments of the Voyager's first World Cruise, and will never forget him maneuvering the ship into the cove in Milford Sound, NZ and putting it's bow under the waterfall, with the local pilot raving about how no one had ever done that with such a large ship. And he was very personal with us, even though we hadn't sailed extensively in Voyager. I think he was a phenomenal Captain and host!

Regent has changed, IMHO not for the better, and the loss of Captain Dag is just another step, not even a huge one, probably. Has anyone thought about the implications of re-titling the 'Hotel Director' as "General Manager"? To me, Hotel Director seems to emphasize the HOSPITALITY aspects of the job, while General Manager de-emphasizes that aspect, instead placing the emphasis on MANAGING (and conserving) THE RESOURCES. But having sailed with a couple of their prime luxury competitors, with their Seven Seas Society benefits and total all-inclusion, Regent is still the best deal. Unfortunately, when Captain Dag was truely in charge of the Voyager, and the line's name was different, things were even better!

...as are WC11’s and PaulaJK’s earlier – all have hit the nail right on the head, it seems to me.

We never had the pleasure of sailing on the Song of Flower, but did get to meet Captain Dag on the shakedown, christening and maiden cruises of the Voyager. He was special - going behind that island coming out of Dubrovnik, blowing the foghorn and having the nuns come running from their convent, ringing their bells was just one example.

We booked the first two segments of the Voyager's first World Cruise, and will not soon forget his maneuvering the ship into the cove in Milford Sound NZ, putting it's bow under the waterfall one afternoon, soaking several of the waitresses up forward on the bow in the crew rec area, with the local pilot raving about how no one had ever done that with such a large ship or so precisely. Dag was personal with us, even though we hadn't sailed extensively in Voyager. We think he was a phenomenal Captain and host!

Regent has changed, IMHO not for the better, and the loss of Captain Dag is just another step, not even a huge one, probably. When a company is bought, you have to expect change. But I wonder if anyone has really thought through the implications of re-titling the 'Hotel Director' as "General Manager"? To me, and I think to may who worked in large organizations, Hotel Director seems to emphasize the HOSPITALITY aspects of the job, while General Manager de-emphasizes that aspect, instead placing the emphasis on MANAGING (and conserving) THE RESOURCES.

But having sailed with a couple of their prime luxury competitors, with their Seven Seas Society benefits and total all-inclusion, Regent is still the best deal. Unfortunately, when Captain Dag was in charge of the Voyager, and the name was different, things were even better!

...as are WC11’s and PaulaJK’s earlier – all have hit the nail right on the head, it seems to me.

We never had the pleasure of sailing on the Song of Flower, but did get to meet Captain Dag on the shakedown, christening and maiden cruises of the Voyager. He was special - going behind that island coming out of Dubrovnik, blowing the foghorn and having the nuns come running from their convent, ringing their bells was just one example.

We sailed with him on the first two segments of the Voyager's first World Cruise, and will not soon forget his maneuvering the ship into the tiny cove in Milford Sound NZ, putting it's bow under the waterfall one afternoon, soaking several of the waitresses up forward on the bow in the crew rec area, with the local pilot raving about how no one had ever done that with such a large ship or so precisely. Dag was personal with us, even though we hadn't sailed extensively in Voyager. We think he was a phenomenal Captain and host!

Regent has changed, IMHO not for the better, and the loss of Captain Dag is just another step, not even a huge one, probably. When a company is bought, you have to expect change. But I wonder if anyone has really thought through the implications of re-titling the 'Hotel Director' as "General Manager"? To me, and I think to may who worked in large organizations, Hotel Director seems to emphasize the HOSPITALITY aspects of the job, while General Manager de-emphasizes that aspect, instead placing the emphasis on MANAGING (and conserving) THE RESOURCES.

But having sailed with a couple of their prime luxury competitors, with their Seven Seas Society benefits and total all-inclusion, Regent is still the best deal. Unfortunately, when Captain Dag was in charge of the Voyager, and the name was different, things were even better!

Edited by countflorida

I cannot believe this thread is still alive after all of this time. Since it is I must say that I disagree with the concern over the loss of this staff member. Although keeping repeat world cruise passengers happy is no doubt important for the company to rest of us the fate of any one captain is unimportant. I have been on many ships. I have yet to find the captain to make any difference in the voyage. I assume there are not that many repeat world cruise passengers from year to year. Therefore, the loss of any one of the captains is unlikely to significantly impact the line one way or the other. The overall quality of the line, the itinerary, the dates when a voyage is scheduled, and the cost are by far more important than who is on what ship.

Interesting thought, Count Florida, about possible implications of a title change from Hotel Director to General Manager.

I'm unclear why some people decide that a thread should be locked...they merely don't have to participate.

Edited by PaulaJK

I'm unclear why some people decide that a thread should be locked...they merely don't have to participate.

Have to agree with PaulaJK. No reason at all ot lock the thread and other than the comment about something being illegal, the information provided by the ex Officer was informational to hear. Others have been allowed to extow the virtues of Capt Dag and the opposite should be allowed as well except when non-allowed info is provided.

Really want to hear the good and the bad about the Capt. as we haven't ever sailed with him. Hearing this information provides added information regarding Regent, Prestige Holdings as well as Apollo.

I would not suggest a thread be locked normally, but this one has just played out. All the relevant information is there for someone who reads it suddenly and says, "oh, Dag has resigned!"

I guess I just get tired of things being rehashed. Nothing to do with the deleted posts (which I managed to read.)