Dag Has Resigned

Just to stir things up an bit, a week or so back when Voyager was at Flam, Norway, a crew member said Captain Dag was on the pier. Others who knew him confirmed.

To deviate a little, 30 days or so on Voyager caused me to conclude that RSSC is slipping some. Service is still great, but organization and administration seems lack luster at times. GM struck me as not particularly involved with pax. Reception seemed unresponsive at times. Shore-ex became a grid-lock getting off ship on occasion. Captain seemingly lied to everyone in stating he was too big to go through Kiel Canal. Just a bunch of issues that seemed off-key.

Ralph

Just to stir things up an bit, a week or so back when Voyager was at Flam, Norway, a crew member said Captain Dag was on the pier. Others who knew him confirmed.

To deviate a little, 30 days or so on Voyager caused me to conclude that RSSC is slipping some. Service is still great, but organization and administration seems lack luster at times. GM struck me as not particularly involved with pax. Reception seemed unresponsive at times. Shore-ex became a grid-lock getting off ship on occasion. Captain seemingly lied to everyone in stating he was too big to go through Kiel Canal. Just a bunch of issues that seemed off-key.

Ralph

Who is the current GM on the Voyager. The last time we were on the Voyager (December, 2009), the GM was very responsive (Englebert -- cannot spell last name). Franck Galzy is GM on the Navigator -- he was also responsive and available to the passengers. I do have to agree that Shore-ex can be grid-locked getting off the ship. Think I better leave that subject alone:-)

Rallydave: We dined with Capt. McNeill in Alaska one evening. While I do not recall when his time is up on the Navigator, he did mention that he hoped to be changing to another ship later this year. He has been mostly on the Navigator for four years (maybe he has spent all of his time on the Navigator -- don't know) and is looking forward to working on another ship.

Smilingcruiser: Fortunately, it was only on the thread for 12 or so hours. Whether the information was true or not, it had no place on CC.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks tc, think you answered my question without realizing it. Was hoping he would be Captain for our cruise to China the fall but, if he was on your cruise in late May, based on the 3 month mandatory rotation, he will be off the ship before the end of August and unfortunately, we will miss the pleasure of his company and his captainship.

Thanks for the inadvertant answer, at least we will have the excellent CD whose name escapes me but, was on the Voyager last summer in the Baltic and was on your cruise from Southampton last September.

Thanks,

Captain seemingly lied to everyone in stating he was too big to go through Kiel Canal.

What makes you think that was a lie, and that the ship is in fact not too tall to fit through Kiel Canal? The canal's height is only 40 meters above the water line according to their website. Given Voyager's 8-9 decks above the water line, plus stacks that appear to measure about 5-6 more decks tall, if each deck is close to 3 meters, which I would think is about right, she wouldn't fit.

Not wanting to stir things up but we do. There was a rumor that is well known now that was started after Dag's departure that Apollo flipped the line to to some other line. I was kind of happy about that because some of the complaints that are brought up in this tread I experienced. Until it was announced on the morning TV show that it was a hoax.

The WC just had problems other than the Dag issue. My personal favorite is the lack of AC for a couple of days on the equator. It just seemed Apollo needed to follow a learning curve and it took a month to figure it out. It didn't ruin anything and it was a great cruise when all was said and done.

I hope Regent finds a new owner someday and I'm not the only one. Regent is a fine line, they just need to act like a corporation not a monarchy with the King being in Ft. Lauderdale.

I would request that this thread be kept alive because it has caused a great amount of discussion on Regent's future. I want to be a one line man and Regent is still my choice.

What makes you think that was a lie, and that the ship is in fact not too tall to fit through Kiel Canal? The canal's height is only 40 meters above the water line according to their website. Given Voyager's 8-9 decks above the water line, plus stacks that appear to measure about 5-6 more decks tall, if each deck is close to 3 meters, which I would think is about right, she wouldn't fit.

Just note summer, '11 itinerary when Voyager is scheduled through the canal. I rather doubt that canal will grow or Voyager shrink in next 12 months.

Ralph

Edited by bigdipper

The Captain on the Crystal World Cruises (forget his name) was famous for parking the ship under a waterfall in Milford Sound and giving some of the the crew a bath on the bow. So Dag isn't the only one that does that.

Although you do wonder about what that does for the insurance?

Who is the current GM on the Voyager. The last time we were on the Voyager (December, 2009), the GM was very responsive (Englebert -- cannot spell last name). Franck Galzy is GM on the Navigator -- he was also responsive and available to the passengers. I do have to agree that Shore-ex can be grid-locked getting off the ship. Think I better leave that subject alone:-)

Rallydave: We dined with Capt. McNeill in Alaska one evening. While I do not recall when his time is up on the Navigator, he did mention that he hoped to be changing to another ship later this year. He has been mostly on the Navigator for four years (maybe he has spent all of his time on the Navigator -- don't know) and is looking forward to working on another ship.

Smilingcruiser: Fortunately, it was only on the thread for 12 or so hours. Whether the information was true or not, it had no place on CC.

Englebert (sp?) was GM during period we were on the ship in June/July.

Ralph

The Captain on the Crystal World Cruises (forget his name) was famous for parking the ship under a waterfall in Milford Sound and giving some of the the crew a bath on the bow. So Dag isn't the only one that does that.

Although you do wonder about what that does for the insurance?

FYI, there were two Crystal Captains that used to "compete" with each other to see who could get the closest. We watched it live on the bow cam in 2008 and experienced it live in March 2009. On that occasion they got to seven feet from the wall (as laser-measured) with the point of the bow and it was "raining" on the staff on the bow pulpit. It was certainly exciting to experience but I have often wondered what Lloyd's of London (or whomever carries the insursnce) would think if they saw it!!:eek::D

...a rumor that is well known now that was started after Dag's departure that Apollo flipped the line to to some other line...<snip>...I would request that this thread be kept alive because it has caused a great amount of discussion on Regent's future.

... as compared to the more free-wheeling days of Carlson ownership...<snip>...it is not a matter which the owners of the cruise line are likely to ignore blithely.

I quoted WC11's reference to Apollo, but there have been several such in this and other threads. I strongly feel that it bears repeating that while Apollo provided the funds to purchase Regent from Carlson, they have little or nothing to do with the day-to-day operations. Apollo set up a division, Prestige Cruise Holdings, in which both Regent and Oceania were placed. They placed Frank Del Rio, one of the founders of Oceania, as the CEO of Prestige. In turn, Frank retained Bob Binder as President of Oceania and Mark Conroy as President of Regent.

While Apollo has a couple of seats on the Board of Directors of Prestige Cruise Holdings, it appears that they take a very "hands off" position in the operations of the cruise lines.

As Freddie stated, Carlson ran a very loose operation. The ships often sailed with many vacancies, which might account for the extra service from the staff that experienced guests remember. They also largely ignored maintenance, to the point that Prestige had to pour $100 Million into renovations just to bring the ships up to snuff.

It is true that Prestige has changed several things with Regent, primarily tightening up the operations and laying the groundwork for a profitable operation. Might I suggest that without such changes, there might not be a Regent Seven Seas cruise line, at all. Obviously, the Carlson family lost interest, or recognized the potential consequences, or the line might not have been put up for sale.

The ramifications of the changes are easy to determine. The model is Oceania, one of the most successful cruise lines in the past 7 or 8 years. Passenger loyalty is at least as great as Regent, food is reputed to be the best at sea, service is outstanding, corporate decisions have almost universally favored passengers. and the CEO is probably the only one who not only reads these forums, but responds when appropriate.

On the Oceania forum, you rarely (if ever) find negative discussions such as those which occasionally pop up on almost every other Cruise Critic board, including this one. Passengers are almost universally happy with the product.

How could that type of attitude bode any ill wind for Regent? Yes, things are different under Prestige, but in almost every case, the changes were for the better. One example is the General Manager aboard Navigator. He has received approval and praise from everyone on this board who has sailed with him. His talent was recognized, and he was promoted to that position, by Frank Volpe of Oceania. When I praised Franck Galzy to Mr. Volpe, he smiled and said it was heartening news, because he had promoted Mr. Galzy. Mr. Volpe will be the General Manager of Oceania's new build, Marina, when she launches in January.

Whether or not you like the choices, the faux "art" that was part of Regent's decor has been replaced by personal choices of Mr. Del Rio. Staff from Oceania has been rotated to Regent ships to train and set the example. Food will certainly improve under Prestige; it's a personal point of honor for Mr. Del Rio.

Far from tightening the wallet and short changing Regent, Apollo's contribution to Regent has been an enormous infusion of capital, and the confidence in the management at Prestige to allow them the freedom of operation without constantly looking over their shoulder. It's worth noting that when Oceania was sold to Apollo, Mr. Del Rio, Bob Binder, Robin Lindsay, Frank Semorava and one or two of the original board members of Oceania retained a significant share of the company and have a personal stake in the success of both Oceania and Regent.

Far from planning to spin it off, Prestige and Apollo are even now planning for an more glorious future for Regent. They are now building two new ships for Oceania (Marina and Riviera) and have an option for a third. There has been serious discussion of the possibility of using that third ship, with suitable modifications to the cabin layouts and public spaces that are fitting to a luxury line, as a stellar addition to the Regent lineup. I feel confident that would be a success, based on the number of past Regent guests who are now looking seriously at, and switching to, Oceania and especially Marina.

It is unlikely that the cruise lines will ever merge. Regent is, and will remain, a six star luxury line that is the most inclusive of any cruise line. Oceania is, and will remain, an ala carte version of luxury, with similar service and food and can-do attitude, while offering wine and spirits, excursions, gratuities and other amenities on an ala carte basis for those who prefer making such choices.

Let me repeat something I said at the beginning of this message -- Regent had run its course with the previous owners, who by all accounts ran it somewhat as a hobby. It wasn't Apollo or Prestige Cruise Holdings who placed it on the sale block. If they had not purchased it, it might no longer exist -- or worse, it might have been purchased by one of the mega cruise corporations.

Instead of being so negative, it's my opinion that past Regent cruisers should consider themselves fortunate that someone like Frank Del Rio now has the reins, and should be in excited anticipation of the good things to come.

Edited by hondorner

hondorner: Although it sounded a bit preachy, I agree with what you posted. Regent was definitely on it's way down when Apollo purchased the cruise line. The ships are now in pristine condition and are full or close to full on most sailings. This is quite amazing in today's economy. I am personally happy to hear that "food" is a work in progress. While I'm not saying that the quality and preparation were consistantly better under the former owners, it is not significantly improved now.

The one area where we do not necessarily agree is with Oceania. They do have their niche and very loyal customers - no argument. Oceania is not a luxury line -- nor does it advertise itself as one. It does, however, have an excellent reputation. Regent customers who have sailed on Oceania are not quite as impressed with the overall experience as you seem to be. The difference could simply be that you have sailed Oceania several times. So, comparing the two cruise lines just doesn't work for me. Admittedly, I have not cruised on Oceania. . . . my opinion is based on the reviews of very loyal Regent customers. In terms of comparison, I would much rather hear a balanced comparison of Silversea or Seabourn and Regent. In fact, I am so interested in the differences that we are booked on Silversea this year (not excited about it -- just need to see for myself).

Edited by Travelcat2

hondorner: Oceania is not a luxury line -- nor does it advertise itself as one. It does, however, have an excellent reputation. Regent customers who have sailed on Oceania are not quite as impressed with the overall experience as you seem to be.

I have been on two Oceania sailings 28 days and 120 Regent days.

Oceania is the ala carte version of Regent without a question in my mind. If you were on Voyager and could change out the cabins below H category, you'd have an Oceania Concierge Class ship. Food is great - just a little more simple. Service is equal. As a matter offact a number of our servers/attendants came from Regent whien we were on Oceania.

The difference is really all in perception.

With all due respect horndormer, you are a big booster of Oceania, let's face it.

Much of what you say, I'm sure, is true, but you weren't around during the Radisson phase. The ships were not neglected. Two of them were brand new, so were just about due for a major refurb when sold. They had, I believe, undergone minor soft goods upgrades at least once, at least Voyager and Mariner. I also doubt very much that they were regularly sailing partly full. Of course there was the post-9/11 period when the industry was very flat and Radisson offered some incentives in those days to fill ships, but I dont' recall any of my Radisson cruises being less than full or almost so.

As for everybody loving Oceania, has the quality of the excursions improved? When the line first started, there were lots of complaints about this, and then the "regulars" just started doing private excursions--this seems to be the norm. Funny that most seem to forgive this fault and just shrug and move on.

I really hope to sail Oceania some day to see. I find it kind of strange that Oceania was formed (sort of) on the Radisson model, and now is supposed to be the exemplar for Regent.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

hondorner: Although it sounded a bit preachy...

I freely admit that I'm an Oceania cheerleader (although I have been realistic about the occasional shortcoming -- FDR himself has labeled me "Fair"). Having spent time with the Prestige Cruise Holdings staff at the Marina float-out, including a free-wheeling and off-the-record dinner with FDR, I also freely admit that I see the management as one step away from God -- which justifies the preachiness. ;) I wish I could repeat some of the insights I gained that weekend and at that dinner...I know, TC, that you have had a taste of that openess as well, and understand how folks can buy into that spell.

I just wish that all those who castigate the blameless and nearly invisible "Apollo" would have the same opportunity to see just how good this crowd is, and how committed they are to reform Regent's faults and reinforce the strong points.

The one area where we do not necessarily agree is with Oceania. They do have their niche and very loyal customers - no argument. Oceania is not a luxury line -- nor does it advertise itself as one. It does, however, have an excellent reputation. Regent customers who have sailed on Oceania are not quite as impressed with the overall experience as you seem to be. The difference could simply be that you have sailed Oceania several times. So, comparing the two cruise lines just doesn't work for me. Admittedly, I have not cruised on Oceania. . . . my opinion is based on the reviews of very loyal Regent customers. In terms of comparison, I would much rather hear a balanced comparison of Silversea or Seabourn and Regent. In fact, I am so interested in the differences that we are booked on Silversea this year (not excited about it -- just need to see for myself).

There is a valid explanation for the reviews of some loyal Regent customers who have tried Oceania and found it lacking. Quite simply, the ala carte experience does not jibe well with those used to all-inclusive treatment. Many feel put-upon by having to sign chits for their drinks, for example. I have often noted a sense of entitlement on the Regent forum, and I saw that same attitude frequently on my Regent cruise last January (which I am backing up with another this December) -- one does not experience that same sense as often on Oceania.

True, Oceania does not bill itself as a luxury line, but rather a unique niche of Upper Premium (one step below luxury and light years above the others). True, Azamara has also tried to fall into that niche by copying Oceania, but most agree they have not quite reached it. Still, as ChatKat stated, Oceania does offer much the same experience in terms of food and service, the primary difference being that one pays as one goes for some amenities, not up front. To some, that is gauche, and is probably the only reason Oceania does not try to bill itself as true luxury. On the other hand, Oceania very definitely has devised better ways to run a cruise operation, and is determined to drag Regent into that circle, kicking and screaming as it were, and occasionally shedding some personnel who can't get with the program.

This will inevitably result in changes, many of which will not sit well with loyal Regent guests who were used to the low passenger counts, loosely monitored policies and hang-the-cost mentality of the prior Regent. All I can say is, count you blessings -- it could have been much, much worse, and will eventually improve as new policies become accepted.

I repeat that the emphasis is misplaced -- the new management are not the bad guys. Regent was down, was put up for sale, and could easily have gone down even more with some other purchaser. The beef is not with Apollo -- it is with the prior owners for allowing it to get in that situation.

Just note summer, '11 itinerary when Voyager is scheduled through the canal. I rather doubt that canal will grow or Voyager shrink in next 12 months.

Ralph

Probably an error on Regent's marketing side. If you look at the same itinerary on the website, they have changed the map and the itinerary: http://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY110607/Itinerary.aspx

With all due respect horndormer, you are a big booster of Oceania, let's face it.
True. Addressed in my most recent post.

Much of what you say, I'm sure, is true, but you weren't around during the Radisson phase. The ships were not neglected. Two of them were brand new, so were just about due for a major refurb when sold. They had, I believe, undergone minor soft goods upgrades at least once, at least Voyager and Mariner. I also doubt very much that they were regularly sailing partly full. Of course there was the post-9/11 period when the industry was very flat and Radisson offered some incentives in those days to fill ships, but I dont' recall any of my Radisson cruises being less than full or almost so.

I'm talking about the state of Regent at the time it was put up for sale, not during the Raddison phase (although I have never understood exactly what changes were made along with the name change -- both Raddison and Regent hotels were owned by the Carlson family, and my understanding was that the name change reflected the increased luxury of the Regent Hotel experience. That sounds like a Good Thing to me - like going from Super Eight to Embassy suites?) It could be that the owners were simply more enthralled with the idea of a cruise line in the early days that they were when the decision was made to rid themselves of it.

I only know what the present management has described when they took it over -- and I'm pulling my punches considerably as much of what I heard was not for publication.

As for everybody loving Oceania, has the quality of the excursions improved? When the line first started, there were lots of complaints about this, and then the "regulars" just started doing private excursions--this seems to be the norm. Funny that most seem to forgive this fault and just shrug and move on.

The same complaint about the quality of excursions has been one of the biggest complaints on Regent now that one pays for them up front and feels almost an obligation to partake of them. The fact is that the quality of excursions is up to the tour companies that conduct them -- cruise lines all use the same ones, and the quality of the excursion is much the same no matter which line one chooses. In many ports, there are only so many excursions from which to choose, and there is no way for the cruise line to controol them of increase the quality.

At least on Oceania, one has the choice of accepting the ship's excursions or making one's own arrangements.n I have read several times here on Regent that some folks prefer to make their own arrangements even though they have prepaid for the ship tours, and a frequent suggestion is that Regent drop prepaid excursions in order to facilitate making one's own arrangements.

I find absolutely no difference between the cruise lines in that regard.

Yes, people frequently complain about ship tours on Oceania. But, I feel you're missing the essential point -- most Oceania passengers are of the "been there, done that" experience, and would make their own arrangements no matter what. Many of the rest make their own arrangements as a cost-saving venture. A significant number prefer a small group to a large bus, and that is identical on Regent or any other cruise line. Some of the complainers are just that.

I really hope to sail Oceania some day to see. I find it kind of strange that Oceania was formed (sort of) on the Radisson model, and now is supposed to be the exemplar for Regent.

It may seem that Oceania was based somewhat on the Radisson model, but there is no doubt that it was formed by taking the best parts of the Renaissance model and discarding some of the nuttiness that got Ren in trouble.

Straightening out Renaissance was what FDR was hired to do, but he was not the owner. The line was sold and he was replaced 6 months before the decision was made to take it bankrupt in 2001; it could not survive the travel hiatus of that period.

He took that experience and the same ships in 2003 and created Oceania, which no one can deny has been startlingly successful.. He is applying that same expertise to the Regent that he inherited, which was not the Regent you remember.

A very interesting discussion. I want to interject a few thoughts, primarily related to excursions. While we haven't been on Oceania, we were scheduled for a 19-day S. American cruise in 2009 on the Insignia. Because of what I had read about Oceania's excursions, I had made detailed private arrangements for all of the ports, based on travel books and the relevant Cruise Critic forums and other travel forums. It was interesting, but a lot of work. We ended up canceling only because an opportunity arose to return to S. Africa that was too good to pass up.

Then when Regent announced a longer S. American cruise that included Antarctica, we opted for this one, and went earlier this year. Based on our first experience with Regent's included excursions in the Baltics last August, we felt very comfortable relying on the included excursions for S. America. In general, they were excellent, though of course this varied somewhat from port-to-port. I really think that Regent goes out of its way to choose excellent excursion operators and in most cases succeeds. Therefore, without intending to quote out of context, I'm not sure what Hondorner is referring to when he remarks, "I find absolutely no difference between the cruise lines in that regard."

Yes, I am sure that there are a number of people who would prefer that Regent had not started including excursions so that they could do their own thing without feeling that they had already paid for excursions. However, I think that there are also a large number of people who prefer to have someone else take care of everything. Aren't those passengers the primary target group for the Regent model? I think it is safe to say that the people who post on these forums tend to be very proactive and that they are not necessarily representative of the majority of cruisers on any cruise line. I venture to say that they are probably much more comfortable making their own arrangements than the average cruiser.

All I can say is that we have been very satisfied with the Regent experience on our two most recent cruises in terms of quality of service and food, as well as the quality of the included excursions. And we are looking forward to the two Regent cruises that we currently have "on the books."

Some of us go back to the time before it was all inclusive and we did have to sign chits for the bar at least. So its not only the all inclusiveness that separates Regent from Oceania.

The demographic on the longer cruises is a big difference and other items that I have brought up before.

Regarding the Regent name, Hondorner, you will find the Regent Hotels are a lot more Luxe than the regular Radisson name. They were diffrentiating the various levels within their family which is not uncommon with hotel chains. The Radisson cruises were on a higher luxury level than Radisson hotels but more in line with the Regent level of hotels hence the name change.

I have found Radisson and Regent excursions to be quite adequate on the whole, often outstanding. There's always a dud or two. The size of the groups has gone up since they were made "free", however, and I don't like that much.

I am finding myself steering towards the ones with a small charge, hoping they are like the "concierge level" excursions that were added a few years back--smaller groups with a larger charge. My upcoming Rio Dulce trip in Guatemala is an example of this--about 15 people in a boat outfitted for 30, I believe. Very nice, and only $99 per person now, can't remember what it was in 2007, but I do not hesitate to repeat this one.

I freely admit that I'm an Oceania cheerleader (although I have been realistic about the occasional shortcoming -- FDR himself has labeled me "Fair"). Having spent time with the Prestige Cruise Holdings staff at the Marina float-out, including a free-wheeling and off-the-record dinner with FDR, I also freely admit that I see the management as one step away from God -- which justifies the preachiness. ;) I wish I could repeat some of the insights I gained that weekend and at that dinner...I know, TC, that you have had a taste of that openess as well, and understand how folks can buy into that spell.

I just wish that all those who castigate the blameless and nearly invisible "Apollo" would have the same opportunity to see just how good this crowd is, and how committed they are to reform Regent's faults and reinforce the strong points.

Hmmm, you are so right;) The more I learned about Prestige Cruise Holdings and their management, the more the clarity I have gained. My views are quite different then they were a few months ago.

To bring this back to the subject (which, IMO, is not as interesting as the posts on this page), I understand why Captain Dag resigned (new rules, different way of doing things, etc.) and am not placing blame on anyone. Sometimes we think we know what goes on behind the scenes. . . but, do we really? I don't think so. Sometimes it is a bit too easy for those of us on CC to pass judgements. . . . :confused:

...Then when Regent announced a longer S. American cruise that included Antarctica, we opted for this one, and went earlier this year. Based on our first experience with Regent's included excursions in the Baltics last August, we felt very comfortable relying on the included excursions for S. America. In general, they were excellent, though of course this varied somewhat from port-to-port. I really think that Regent goes out of its way to choose excellent excursion operators and in most cases succeeds. Therefore, without intending to quote out of context, I'm not sure what Hondorner is referring to when he remarks, "I find absolutely no difference between the cruise lines in that regard."

I'd be very interested to find which excursions were offered on your South America Cruise. We have done Buenos Aires to Valparaiso including Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Falkland Islands, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Laguna San Rafael, Puerto Chacbuco and Puerto Montt, a transAtlantic from Barcelona to Rio including Salvador and Recife, and a 26 day voyage from Miami to Manaus, Brazil and return including Santarem, Manaus, Parintins and Boca De Valeria. I'd be amazed to discover that Regent offered any different excursions in these ports than those offered by Oceania -- simply because, to the best of my knowledge, other excursions do not exist - or Oceania would have offered them.

Based only on my limited experience on Regent in the Eastern Caribbean and soon in the Western Caribbean (where I have already selected my excursions) compared to my experience in most of the same ports on Oceania and other ships, the excursions are virtually identical. When my son cruised the Eastern Caribbean on Princess within a few weeks of our Regent cruise, he took many of the identical excursions.

We missed our 24 days with 17 ports in the Mediterranean this past March and April due to health issues, but I had researched all of the ports, chosen many of our excursions, and compared them to Regent excursions in the same ports. In almost every case, the excursions offered by Regent were identical to Oceania.

The excursions are the same, the vendors for the excursions are the same, the conveyances are the same, the guides are the same, the sights are the same, and about the only difference a cruise line can make is to insist that buses, boats and such not be filled to capacity -- which is what Oceania does at every opportunity, the same as Regent.

I say there are virtually no differences because my research shows there are virtually no differences. The Yellow Submarine in St. Barts is always the same Yellow Submarine, regardless of the cruise line, and the same is true for virtually every excursion I have seen.

I may have missed one or two but for all intents and purposes, they are the same. That's why I find complaints about any cruise line's excursions laughable.

We have friends going on Oceania's Baltic cruise this summer. We did Regent's Baltic cruise 2 years ago.

So I am helping my friend plan excursions, etc. The ones offered on Oceania are identical to the ones offered on Regent as far as I can tell, expect that you have to pay extra for them on Oceania now. (When we did the Regent Baltic cruise, excursions were not included, so it was the same--we paid for the ones we wanted.)

I found the quality of the Regent excursions significantly better. For example when they included a meal it was an excellent meal in an enjoyable setting. Many of the excursions even included a snack in a scenic spot so there was a bit of relaxation between the bussing and walking.

On my one cruise with Oceania their excursions were pathetic and food inedible. In Japan I felt sorry for some of the seniors on our bus when they had nothing to eat and had to content themselves with buying an icecream as that was the only food available. Others who had breakfast type bars consumed them I carried a host of nuts and dried fruits so we were able to manage. We had fortunately customized almost all of the excursions but the few we did use were really poor.

I have had several better excursions on Celebrity. I noticed too that the buses on Oceania were packed tight. This April most of the excursions had buses only half to 2/3rds full.

My contention is just because the description is the same it does not mean that the quality will be the same. .

You're right that in most places there are standard excursions offered. But these are offered by a variety of guides and operators. I have perceived, at least in the past, that Regent (Radisson) took care to choose among those to present the best quality available to its guests.

In most cases I believe this is still true, although as I said, the number of pax on a bus has definitely gone up since Apollo took over.

There is also the matter of how the excursions are managed by the Destinations staff. Shuttles into town, well-organized loading and departure, ship staff accompanying excursions, these are things that Radisson/Regent did well. Regent continues to do most of these things pretty well, although as I said there has been some loss of consistency--I sincerely hope that Regent regulars will continue to complain when this happens.