Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Well, I got a message that my post this morning didn't take, so I resubmitted. Sorry for the duplicate post!

Any thoughts on using Dennis Hollis as a tour guide in Bermuda. Is he a blue flag driver? Thank you for the responses and incite of you all.

We have toured with Dennis twice and will be touring with him in 2016. We told him the places we wanted to see and then asked for suggestions. We had 5 hour tours both times and feel we saw plenty! He was very informative, telling us about Bermuda history.

Edited by LDRnj-MA
Added more

Hi Miriam

Can you provide thoughts on an itinerary to st. george and then to a beach recommendation and if Colin can work with 7 of us.

I am intrigued by the idea of snorkeling. Does he take you to a beach and wait for you there as well. do you set up the itinerary with him ahead of time?

many thanks for the advice

Pa

• 2 weeks later...
We have a reservation with Colin Jennings for August 16th. The Dawn is now arriving two hours later than scheduled and I emailed Colin with that information asking if it is going to be a problem. It has been over a week and I have sent him two emails but I have not gotten a response from him. Has anyone had a problem recently contacting Colin? I don't know if I should try to find someone else or hope that he shows up.

We were in Bermuda last week and had a tour scheduled with Mr. Jennings for Friday, August 7. I heard from another tour guide on Wednesday when we arrived in Bermuda that Mr. Jennings hasn't been feeling well but would send somebody in his place if he couldn't make it. On Friday, he sent another tour guide named Millard. There will be other taxi tour guides holding signs trying to get business if Mr. Jennings doesn't make it or send somebody. I was disappointed that we didn't have Mr. Jennings since I had heard so many wonderful things about him- hope he is feeling better!

Thank you danyel, I appreciate your response.

Colin Jennings finally did get back to me saying he wasn't able to do my tour and suggested someone else. The message was very vague. I hope it is nothing serious.

We booked with winsome tours (the Richardson family) based on the good reviews here.

They arranged two vans for our group of 18 people ranging from 13 to 90 years old. They took us everywhere we requested and more. Very interesting commentary and I felt I learned so much about bermuda. The facilitated an easy visit to the caves and were so kind assisting our elderly passengers including one who needed to transfer in and out of a wheelchair. The larger van has loudspeakers allowing all to hear what our guide, Julie, had to say.

We even used them on a Sunday to get us all home from Hamilton late, after public transit had shut down.

While in general we like to be independent travelers and prefer not to sit in a bus being driven around, with this large and varied group, we felt we had to do something like this tour, and they were exceptional. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Do not hesitate to tell them exactly what you would like to do with your day. Later on, a relative complained that he didn't have enough time to enjoy Saint George and would have preferred more time there instead of all the driving around and commentary. While I liked our day and didn't feel I needed more time in Saint George, it would have been so easy to just communicate with our guides and just adjust the trip to the needs of our group.

Professional, kind, knowledgable, do consider them if you might be interested in such a tour.

We took a tour with Heidi (and her adorable blind dog, Buddy) of Byways Tours, and she was amazing. There was a total of 7 of us seated comfortably in the van. There's no set tour, so she was able to get around most of the rain. We left the dockyard around 9:30 and returned somewhere around 4:30. It was a great way to see the island. We stopped a few places to explore and take pictures, and lunch is included. Heidi went out of her way to accommodate our vegan diet, which we appreciated. We also took a horse and carriage tour of St. George's with Crystal from Bronco Stables the next day. She was in the town square when we were there with Heidi, so she introduced us & we were able to see where she would be meeting us.

Any thoughts on using Dennis Hollis as a tour guide in Bermuda. Is he a blue flag driver? Thank you for the responses and incite of you all.

Yes, Dennis is a blue flag driver. We used him last year and he was amazing! He gave us a great tour based on our preferences...my husband wanted good picture taking spots and Dennis took us to some beautiful ones and was very helpful. He also answered all of my kids questions (12 and 14 years old) and they loved him. I'd highly recommend him and we would definitely use him again. Beautiful island!

heard back from a private tour driver and wanting 60 dollars a hour? has the rate gone up from 50?

It is possible that this person is not a licensed taxi driver, but rather a private tour operator. The government-regulated rate for taxis is $50 per hour. Private tour operators can charge whatever they please.

Edited by njhorseman

Update May 2014: The taxi tour rates have been revised effective May 1, 2014. This is the first revision since December 2007. Up to 4 passengers, the rate is now $50 per hour (instead of earlier $40 per hour). For 5 to 7 passengers, the rate is $70 per hour (instead of earlier $55 per hour). Note that if a larger taxi agrees to carry 4 or less passengers for sightseeing tour, they should charge the lower rate (i.e. $50 per hour). This rate is fixed by the Government. The Blue Flag taxis should also charge the same.

Sometimes people will engage a guide and then not show up, so some guides add what is in effect an internet charge.

what is dennis's email please

Oh, sorry jneaves - just saw this. Hope it's not too late. I have Dennis' email as dwhollis@logic.bm.

Hope you get in touch with him. He really is terrific! I have lots of great pictures from his tour - he packed in a lot for us during just 1/2 day.

Edited by SunnyAJ

• 1 month later...

My friends and I toured with Quinton Bean on the 28th of September, at the recommendation of a good friend of mine.

He is a wonderful, very intelligent, gentleman, native Bermudian and is so very proud of the history, and had many stories to tell and explain about the places we went and saw.

I gave him a list of places that I wanted my friends to see, as some of us were repeat Bermuda tourists, and one friend was a newbie.

We had a wonderful, but windy, day with him. He showed us many places that I (who was on my 7th visit) hadn't seen.

I thoroughly recommend Mr. Bean as a fantastic tour guide, and he can be reached at: quianreu@logic.bm

Quinton is an excellent guide. Absoutely no complaints He was friendly, knowledgeable about the island and its history.He took us everywhere we wanted to go unlike past experiences I have had with guides who have their own agenda and take you to places where they can make more money. Quinton was a consumate professional and very dignified.I had hired someone prior to the cruise who did not show up but my friend and I feel it worked out for the best since Quinton gave us such a great day even fhought it was very windy and cold. I would not hesitate to use him again.

Since there are only 2 of us, I'm looking for an organized tour we can join. I had a link to one but have lost it. I don't want a taxi driver because it won't be cost-effective for us. I've tried our roll call and no one wants to do a tour.

Does anyone know of a tour operator that will allow you to join in on a tour they have organized?