Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

The only ones really authorized to give tours are the Blue Flag drivers. The blue flag drivers can charge by the hour. The regular drivers charge by mileage and waiting time. I investigated both and concluded that the tour drivers were cheaper than the regular taxi drivers even though I didn't need an actual tour as I knew where I wanted to go.

Presently, for 1-4 passengers, taxi fares cost $8.00 for the first mile and $2.80 for each additional mile, based on a taxi charge formula set by Bermuda's Transport Control Department (TCD). This does not include a tip, of between 15 percent and 20 percent

Midnight to 6 am also Sundays & Public Holidays rate +25 percent more per taxi

Because the "blue flags' were counterfitted, I think an actual Blue Flag driver will have a windshield decal

Edited by grandmaR

yes, you should see a line up of taxi drivers available. most would love to give you a tour.....just negotiate a price before you get in. the taxi drivers in Bermuda are very friendly. :)

We were able to get a tour with Colin Jennings!! It is for the last day in port however. Now we need to decide where to take the ferry from Kings Wharf for browsing around and lunch the day before. Any suggestions?

takemewithyou, we noticed that in your signature, we have the same cruise booked this fall!!! :) Small world!!!! Perhaps we will run in to you at the meet and greet? :cool:

The easiest thing is to take the ferry in to Hamilton. Very short ride across the harbor It only takes 20 minutes of one way ferry ride and the ferries are frequent - about every 20 minutes on weekdays

bermuda_i00020b.gif

There is also a ferry to St. George (Orange line) but it operates during the summer season only (i.e. usually second week of April to first week of November). The service is only from Monday to Friday (no service on the weekends). It is a 35 minute ride and the schedule is restricted

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday:

Departs Dockyard: 9:30 11:30 14:00 16:30

Departs St. George: 10:30 1:00 15:30 17:30

Tuesday, Friday:

Departs Dockyard: 9:15 11:15 13:15

Departs St. George: 10:15 12:15 14:15

Edited by grandmaR

In both Hamilton & St George, they have a walking tour of the city. I wish I had time to do them when I was there but Colin will take you around those towns also.

On my last day we took the ferry to Hamilton & just walked around. We saw the birdcage, a cute little park, the post office & the museum next door & some shopping. Then we stopped for lunch & a cold soda before taking the ferry back. That's when we finally took the opportunity to go in the Clocktower shops at Dockyard. It was a very laid back easy day.

We were able to get a tour with Colin Jennings!! It is for the last day in port however. Now we need to decide where to take the ferry from Kings Wharf for browsing around and lunch the day before. Any suggestions?

takemewithyou, we noticed that in your signature, we have the same cruise booked this fall!!! :) Small world!!!! Perhaps we will run in to you at the meet and greet? :cool:

Surprise!! :D:D:D:D

can you please email me Colin Jennings email address as I am sailing this Sun from NJ on Celebrity Summit and he seems to be a reputable tour guide.

Thanks in advance

rubin917@gmail.com

Thanks for the suggestions! Any recommended restaurants in Hamilton would be appreciated!!

Here is Colin's email address: colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com

The Hog Penny is Bermuda's oldest pub and we have eaten there although it was some time ago The Hog Penny came to my attention when Rachael Ray ate dinner there on her $40/day show on the Food Network. She had Chicken Marsala curry which was $18.95

We've also had lunch at the Lobster Pot which was recommended by our guide in 2013 The sign at the entrance said 2-3 lb lobster whole boiled $79.00 We didn't have lobster. Bermuda fish chowder is a dark soup so I had the fish chowder $7.00. Bob had,the Lobster Bisque $7.50. Then he had a lobster seafood slider $13.75 and I had Peach Melba $7.50.

I have also seen, but not eaten at

Flanagan's Irish Pub (Bermuda's only Irish Pub)

Lemon Tree Cafe - sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts with a lemon flavor.

Paradiso Cafe - It is said that this serves the most irresistible pastries in town

Fresco's in Chancery Lane

Tuscany Restaurant

Port of Call Restaurant or Bistro 2 which shares the same place

The Spot - a local place which attracts off-duty police, construction workers etc.

The easiest thing is to take the ferry in to Hamilton. Very short ride across the harbor It only takes 20 minutes of one way ferry ride and the ferries are frequent - about every 20 minutes on weekdays

The ferry runs either once every half hour or once every hour, depending on the time of day, and once an hour is by far the more common headway. At no time does it run as frequently as every 20 minutes (The ride does take about 20 minutes, however.)

Here's a link to the current schedule: http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf

The Hog Penny is Bermuda's oldest pub and we have eaten there although it was some time ago The Hog Penny came to my attention when Rachael Ray ate dinner there on her $40/day show on the Food Network. She had Chicken Marsala curry which was $18.95

We've also had lunch at the Lobster Pot which was recommended by our guide in 2013 The sign at the entrance said 2-3 lb lobster whole boiled $79.00 We didn't have lobster. Bermuda fish chowder is a dark soup so I had the fish chowder $7.00. Bob had,the Lobster Bisque $7.50. Then he had a lobster seafood slider $13.75 and I had Peach Melba $7.50.

I have also seen, but not eaten at

Flanagan's Irish Pub (Bermuda's only Irish Pub)

Lemon Tree Cafe - sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts with a lemon flavor.

Paradiso Cafe - It is said that this serves the most irresistible pastries in town

Fresco's in Chancery Lane

Tuscany Restaurant

Port of Call Restaurant or Bistro 2 which shares the same place

The Spot - a local place which attracts off-duty police, construction workers etc.

Thank you for the suggestions!! :)

We had Lewis for a day and a half and I found him very helpful.

We did not have a tour, as we have been to Bermuda five times previously including spending a week there twice. But I had specific places we wanted to visit and I decided it would be better to get a guide than to try to take a taxi. Lewis not only took us to those places but found others that I didn't know about and also when there was a question about something, he called around until he found out the answer.

I am sure any of the blue flag guides would work well. Lewis met us wen he said he would, and he answered emails.

Hi,

I've read this really long thread and find I still have a couple questions.

My mother and I are traveling on Celebrity Summit August 30, 2015. On the second day we are in port, we want to hire a private car (with good air conditioning) to take just the two of us on a private tour. We'd like to see all the sites (no extended walking), maybe stop for lunch, and do a little shopping.

Here are my questions:

- who can you recommend to take just the two of us?

- how do we get in touch with this person?

- how much do you think it would run?

- how long to you think it will take (what are the interesting things to see...probably not museums)?

Thanks so much for any and all responses!

A private guide certainly can do that kind of tour and I think most of the cars have A/C although we've always been in November when it wasn't that important.

Blue flag guides (and taxis) have the rate set by the government. It is $50/hour for one to four people. A tip of 15% on top of the base charge is appropriate. The Blue flag guides undergo an extensive training program. Some guides will quote a higher charge per hour - maybe they are including the tip as some people don't think they should tip.

If you book a taxi for an island tour it will be the same rate as the blue flag guide and you usually book for at least three hours

Taxis will wait when you take time to visit an attraction or plan to take your lunch. However this waiting time will count as part of the total time for which you book the taxi. While having lunch or snacks during your tour, you can invite the driver to join you, although it's not necessary. But if you invite him, then a general courtesy would be to pay for his bills.

As to how long it will take - it will take as long as you have the energy for it. Driving does take some time in Bemuda as there is traffic and no superhighways.

As to what to see - that depends on your interests. There are interesting things that you can see from a car, such as the two lighthouses - St Davids and Gibbs LIghthouse (you don't have to climb them), the Royal Navy Cemetery (burials of the British Navy dating back to 1700), the smallest drawbridge, the Heydon Trust Chapel, South Road along the shore, past Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, and all the famous beaches, Waterville which is a garden with a pond in the shape of Bermuda, Fort Hamilton, Ft Catherine, St George (the town, St Peters, Somer's Garden, the abandoned cathedral etc), and there is also Collector's Hill and Verdmont which is a Bermuda National Trust property, the Botanical Gardens with Camden House - and the Cenotaph and Sessions building, and the cathedral in Hamilton.

Edited by grandmaR

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Grandeur of the Seas and took a private tour of Bermuda with Colin Jennings - the tour was 5 hours and cost $50 per hour for 1-4 people. It was just my husband and myself and he did an outstanding job. Met us at the pier on time. He was so knowledgeable about the island. He took us to places that we wanted to go as well. I would highly recommend him. He can be reached by email at colinjenningstaxi <colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com>.

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back from Grandeur of the Seas and took a private tour of Bermuda with Colin Jennings - the tour was 5 hours and cost $50 per hour for 1-4 people. It was just my husband and myself and he did an outstanding job. Met us at the pier on time. He was so knowledgeable about the island. He took us to places that we wanted to go as well. I would highly recommend him. He can be reached by email at colinjenningstaxi <colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com>.

I am touring with Mr. Jennings next Friday. Unfortunately, we have to cut it short since the ship is leaving Bermuda earlier than originally planned. He couldn't start earlier so we have him for four hours. Will it be worth it and will we see much in that length of time. I am nervous about getting back to the ship but he said it wouldn't be a problem even with the ship's departure time change. Any thoughts/ advice?

I am sure you will be able to see something worthwhile, and he will be able to get you back to the ship in a timely manner. You might take the ferry in to Hamilton and meet him there and go from there back to the ship so that it wouldn't be just out for two hours and then back to the ship. You can ask him if that would be possible.

Any thoughts on using Dennis Hollis as a tour guide in Bermuda. Is he a blue flag driver? Thank you for the responses and incite of you all.

Jim and I have toured with Dennis twice and will be looking into booking a date with him on our cruise next year. He is a blue flag driver and is very accommodating. We told him a few of the places we wanted to see and to show us whatever else he thought we should see. Both were great tours and we Are looking forward to next year!

Lynette

We have a reservation with Colin Jennings for August 16th. The Dawn is now arriving two hours later than scheduled and I emailed Colin with that information asking if it is going to be a problem. It has been over a week and I have sent him two emails but I have not gotten a response from him. Has anyone had a problem recently contacting Colin? I don't know if I should try to find someone else or hope that he shows up.