Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

The ferries will be on a Sunday schedule. The Orange route (the route to St. George) only operates Monday to Friday in the summer. It is basically a commuter ferry. The Green Route is also just M-F. That goes from Hamilton to the smallest bridge stop (Watford) and then to Cavello Bay and Rockford returning to Hamilton.

The Blue Route (Hamilton to the Dockyard) runs on the Sunday schedule but is much less frequent. Hamilton departures about every hour.

9:00 10:00 11:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 18:00

I would think that St. Peters would be open although they might have services and wouldn't appreciate tourists interrupting. Most of the rest of the things to see in St. George are to look at from the outside, except maybe the White Horse.

The ferries will be on a Sunday schedule. The Orange route (the route to St. George) only operates Monday to Friday in the summer. It is basically a commuter ferry. The Green Route is also just M-F. That goes from Hamilton to the smallest bridge stop (Watford) and then to Cavello Bay and Rockford returning to Hamilton.

The Blue Route (Hamilton to the Dockyard) runs on the Sunday schedule but is much less frequent. Hamilton departures about every hour.

9:00 10:00 11:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 18:00

I would think that St. Peters would be open although they might have services and wouldn't appreciate tourists interrupting. Most of the rest of the things to see in St. George are to look at from the outside, except maybe the White Horse.

Your assumptions on the ferry schedule are not correct. The Orange Route to St. George's often does run on public holidays that fall on a weekday. For example it is running this coming Tuesday, May 24, Bermuda Day, and not only is it running, it's running on the Monday schedule, which actually provides more service than the normal Tuesday schedule.

The Blue Route will also be operating on the weekday schedule on Bermuda Day.

The Orange Route is anything but a commuter ferry. In fact it's primarily for tourists arriving on cruise ships. That's why it only runs during the cruise season.

They normally announce the holiday ferry schedule during the week prior to the holiday.

Here's the announcement of the ferry schedule for Bermuda Day, May 24:

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160519/holiday-ferry-schedule-announced

Edited by njhorseman

Your assumptions on the ferry schedule are not correct. The Orange Route to St. George's often does run on public holidays that fall on a weekday. For example it is running this coming Tuesday, May 24, Bermuda Day, and not only is it running, it's running on the Monday schedule, which actually provides more service than the normal Tuesday schedule.

The Blue Route will also be operating on the weekday schedule on Bermuda Day.

The Orange Route is anything but a commuter ferry. In fact it's primarily for tourists arriving on cruise ships. That's why it only runs during the cruise season.

They normally announce the holiday ferry schedule during the week prior to the holiday.

Here's the announcement of the ferry schedule for Bermuda Day, May 24:

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160519/holiday-ferry-schedule-announced

In addition, while there's no guarantee this year's schedule will be identical, last year the Blue Route and Orange Route ferries ran on the normal weekday schedule on Labour Day:

http://bernews.com/2015/08/public-advisory-holiday-ferry-schedule/

I was looking at the official Bermuda page, and that's what they had there for holidays.

The reason the St. George (orange line) doesn't run in the winter is primarily because of bad weather. The people of Bermuda regard it as a commuter ferry and don't particularly care for the tourists using it.

I was looking at the official Bermuda page, and that's what they had there for holidays.

The reason the St. George (orange line) doesn't run in the winter is primarily because of bad weather. The people of Bermuda regard it as a commuter ferry and don't particularly care for the tourists using it.

Rosalee, they run the St. George ferry during the cruise season when ships are at the Dockyard. The Orange Line is primarily used by tourists. And if it were primarily a commuter ferry it would run year around.

Edited by Charles4515

For those who have been looking at Colin Jennings I just received the following email from his son....

"Good day this is actually Shakir Jennings. I am the son of Colin Jennings. I'm sorry to inform u that he is passed away, but I can refer u to another driver that would be able to accommodate your group"

We never had a chance to tour with Colin but it seems like he made an impact in those who had this experience.

Years ago they did have at least one ferry in each of the morning and afternoon for commuters that ran directly from St. George's to Hamilton in the morning and Hamilton to St. George's in the afternoon. But that service was discontinued, as were weekend service and year round service, presumably because of budget considerations and low demand. Winter weather isn't an issue. While Bermuda has cool temperatures in the winter, it's no more likely to be stormy, in fact maybe less so, than in the height of the late summer tourist season, which is also the height of hurricane season.

As far as an "official" Bermuda page is concerned, without even asking for a link I can tell you that even "official" pages can have errors. For example there was...maybe there still is...a page on an official Bermuda government website that said transportation tickets were only accepted on buses, not ferries. That hasn't been true for years. There was another page about passport requirements stating that everyone traveling to Bermuda needed a passport. That's also incorrect, at least as concerns cruise passengers, as Bermuda participates in the WHTI and accepts WHTI-compliant documentation from US citizens arriving on cruise ships. Bermuda isn't alone in having inaccurate information on official websites. The US Department of State has a significant amount of incorrect information on the acceptability of WHTI entry documentation for travel by sea to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada and Mexico.

We did a six hour tour with Kevin (Ricky) Bean. The day started out cloudy but we were able to make the first couple of stops before the rain started. When we got to St. George, it was raining enough to cancel the reanactment at the Town Square; however, we did visit a couple of sights - St. Peter's, etc. Ricky gave us the option of stopping at Swizzle Inn or the caves for lunch. Well, since it was raining so much, seems like everyone had gone to the caves. So, we enjoyed a great lunch at the infamous Swizzle Inn - it was crowded there also, but the food was excellent

We did drive by all the places we were scheduled to visit and Ricky pulled over so we could take photos out of the van windows. Several of us climbed the 185 stairs at Gibbs Lighthouse. I'm sure the view would have been even more impressive if the weather was clear, but it was an experience not to be forgotten. (My legs reminded me for the next couple of days!!)

Ricky was very informative and entertaining as well as very accommodating to the group.

His charge per person is extremely reasonable compared to others I had checked into. Since this was our first visit to Bermuda, we wanted to hear about the island and the history of Bermuda, so we chose a guided tour. Now, on a return trip, I would not hesitate to visit these sites on our own. I highly recommend Ricky's Island Tours if you want a guided tour.

We did a six hour tour with Kevin (Ricky) Bean. The day started out cloudy but we were able to make the first couple of stops before the rain started. When we got to St. George, it was raining enough to cancel the reanactment at the Town Square; however, we did visit a couple of sights - St. Peter's, etc. Ricky gave us the option of stopping at Swizzle Inn or the caves for lunch. Well, since it was raining so much, seems like everyone had gone to the caves. So, we enjoyed a great lunch at the infamous Swizzle Inn - it was crowded there also, but the food was excellent

We did drive by all the places we were scheduled to visit and Ricky pulled over so we could take photos out of the van windows. Several of us climbed the 185 stairs at Gibbs Lighthouse. I'm sure the view would have been even more impressive if the weather was clear, but it was an experience not to be forgotten. (My legs reminded me for the next couple of days!!)

Ricky was very informative and entertaining as well as very accommodating to the group.

His charge per person is extremely reasonable compared to others I had checked into. Since this was our first visit to Bermuda, we wanted to hear about the island and the history of Bermuda, so we chose a guided tour. Now, on a return trip, I would not hesitate to visit these sites on our own. I highly recommend Ricky's Island Tours if you want a guided tour.

We just returned from Summit and also used Ricky's Island Tours. The weather was great.

The tour is great, we saw everything we wanted to see including the reenactment. Kevin's "Ricky's" personality made this tour even better (he even told us the story behind his "double name :) He is funny, very knowledgeable, loves his island and makes 6 hours tour go fast. It was very enjoyable day. The best money we spent in Bermuda. Highly recommend Ricky's Tours.

Edited by Aldeya

This was an amazing experience for my husband and myself. We were on Oceania's Regatta cruise with 2 1/2 days in Hamilton Harbour. We were lucky to get an opening due to a cancellation. Heather is an experienced pilot and a lovely young lady. She is Canadian and did her flight school in Canada. She is a great guide as well, as she knows so much about the island. This is the best way to see it all. She even flew us over our ship so we could take pictures. We did not have a car, so Heather explained in detail how to get there by local transit. So easy to do, cheap, and lots to see from the bus as well. Time and money well spent. Highly recomend her!

blueskybermuda@gmail.com

http://www.blueskyflights.bm

• 2 weeks later...

After researching and reading reviews on trip adviser, we have booked our tour with Heidi Cowan from Bermuda Byways. Every review I have read on her say she is simply amazing. Getting excited as we sail on July 15th on the Dawn. It is a 6 hour tour I believe. She limits it to 8 people so it sounds very personal.

4/12 We just used Keith Simmons for an accessible van tour -- ramp for scooter or w/c in middle of van -- easy -- with proper tiedowns. Room for 3 additional persons in van. He specializes in disabled transit. Very dependable and courteous personnel. We customized our tour -- St. George's, Swizzle Inn, Beaches, sightseeing, but he does have set eastern/southern tours available on the website. 5 hours $300 or less for less time. Genetta was our guide, knowledgeable and certified. A true find in Bermuda for the physically challenged.

e-mail keithsimmons@ibl.bm http://www.access.bm Call 441 505-9106

We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend. Vicki:)

Keith Simmons still runs the accessible tour business -- we used it recently to take a 5-hour tour around Bermuda.

I think Keith Simmons' current e-mail address is <keithsimmons@logic.bm>. I think the phone number is (441) 295-9106, but I wasn't the one doing the calling.

As of early June, the rate for a 5-hour tour including several beaches, the zoo/aquarium/museum, botanical gardens, St. George's, and more cost $350 for a group of 3. Payment is cash only, which we weren't expecting, so that caused a bit of a scramble to find enough cash among our group.

The van has seats for the driver/guide (we had Genetta) and 3 passengers plus space for a mobility scooter or wheelchair. We tried to add a fourth person to our tour, but there wasn't room because the additional seat had been removed from the van to make room for the ramp.

Edited by JustAllie

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you thank you thank you to all who added to this post.

I had done a regular NCL 5 hour bus tour before and while the tour was ok and the driver was awesome (DJ Smooth Operator he called himself) we didn't get to see a lot because a lot of tourists took much longer returning to the bus during each stop that was supposed to happen.

It was really annoying and rude when people were allowed off the bus for 30 mins and some people took an hour getting back - making the whooooole bus wait for THEM like they were special or something because the bus driver was too kind to leave them stranded.

I am definitely booking a private guided tour and I have my itinerary all planned out: (Sea Glass Beach, the small somerset drawbridge, Spittal pond, celebrity houses [like Michael Douglas], St George for Ship Deliverance replica, Wench Dunking, Forts, Churches, Moongates, shopping and Hamilton for More Churches, More Shopping, parks, More Moongates!)

I don't know how long it will take - I'll leave it up to whatever guide I choose. I think we can pack all that into 5 hours.

Thing is - I'd like to do an afternoon type tour. I'd like to eat lunch on the ship and then after lunch head out and see the sights. My crowd is not an up and out at 9am kind of people.

I hope it's not a problem doing a later tour.

I have read reviews on about 30 cab guides throughout this 53 page thread and I was wondering if any of them are on the younger side with a funny personality.

I'm taking my 10 year old nephew and I worry he'd be bored with an old, monotone kind of guide. we will have 3 30yr olds and the 10 year old and I'm just not sure which guide would mesh with our sarcastic butts!

It's a shame Duke and Jennings no longer do business, I had read so much about them on the thread and then towards the end my top 2 choices were reported to not do tours anymore. Who is next best in your opinion?

I am definitely booking a private guided tour and I have my itinerary all planned out: (Sea Glass Beach, the small somerset drawbridge, Spittal pond, celebrity houses [like Michael Douglas], St George for Ship Deliverance replica, Wench Dunking, Forts, Churches, Moongates, shopping and Hamilton for More Churches, More Shopping, parks, More Moongates!)

I don't know how long it will take - I'll leave it up to whatever guide I choose. I think we can pack all that into 5 hours.

Thing is - I'd like to do an afternoon type tour. I'd like to eat lunch on the ship and then after lunch head out and see the sights. My crowd is not an up and out at 9am kind of people.

I hope it's not a problem doing a later tour.

That is a lot for five hours, might have to leave something out but no problem doing a later tour. We did an afternoon tour of four hours some years ago.

You won't be able to see the Wench Dunking if you do an afternoon tour. They start at noon and the dunking is around 12:30 PM.

Also eating lunch on the ship and then heading out is wasting your time in Bermuda.

That is a lot for five hours, might have to leave something out but no problem doing a later tour. We did an afternoon tour of four hours some years ago.

You won't be able to see the Wench Dunking if you do an afternoon tour. They start at noon and the dunking is around 12:30 PM.

Also eating lunch on the ship and then heading out is wasting your time in Bermuda.

You're right - i wasn't thinking about the times - I'll have to get my group at least dressed and ready by 11:30! Which isn't super early. I just thought the bus tours leave at 9am and last time me and hubby did that it was pulling teeth to get him up

Another question - where do you guys have lunch on your tours?

I think most people stop at the Swizzle in but I'm not looking for a long, sir down lunch. My group really wants to try the traditional fish sandwich on the raisin bread with coleslaw but we'd be happy going to a stand/stall to get a quick bite and back on the road.

Can anyone suggest a place?

Another question - where do you guys have lunch on your tours?

I think most people stop at the Swizzle in but I'm not looking for a long, sir down lunch. My group really wants to try the traditional fish sandwich on the raisin bread with coleslaw but we'd be happy going to a stand/stall to get a quick bite and back on the road.

Can anyone suggest a place?

I don't think most people go to the Swizzle.

What I have done on tours anywhere in the world is work it out with the tour guide. I would tell the tour guide you want a traditional fish sandwich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't want to drive to St. George...as curvy roads, 20 mph speed limit and a long ride from the Dockyard. Define your area, possibly take the ferry over to Hamilton (20 minutes) or the one directly to St. George (40 minutes) and go from there. The Frog & Onion at the Dockyard might very well suffice for your local food yearning and will be open Thurs/Fri. The Swizzle Inn is known for good food and it's "swizzle in...swagger out drink", the Rum Swizzle. Also, please remember everything in Bermuda, especially food is high priced! Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But then again if it's Swizzle Inn that you want, remember there are 2 locations in Bermuda.

One is close to St-Georges and the other one is about half way between Horseshoe bay and Hamilton.

Obviously if you want the original "vibe" you will have to get to the other end of the Island...but if it's the food and drinks...the one near Horseshoe will suffice.

Anyways it's all fun !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But then again if it's Swizzle Inn that you want, remember there are 2 locations in Bermuda.

One is close to St-Georges and the other one is about half way between Horseshoe bay and Hamilton.

Obviously if you want the original "vibe" you will have to get to the other end of the Island...but if it's the food and drinks...the one near Horseshoe will suffice.

Anyways it's all fun !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried the one near Horseshoe and the food and drinks were exactly the same. But the original vibe as you put it was not there. Inside or outside. I would not repeat the one near Horseshoe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IrishMoe. DH & DD used Heidi last week. They both thought she was wonderful. Hopefully you will be able to have the Bermuda favorite for lunch; they got fish sandwiches on raisin bread and couldn't stop talking about how yummy it was. Enjoy her. Good choice.

IrishMoe. DH & DD used Heidi last week. They both thought she was wonderful. Hopefully you will be able to have the Bermuda favorite for lunch; they got fish sandwiches on raisin bread and couldn't stop talking about how yummy it was. Enjoy her. Good choice.

Glad to hear it and the sandwich sounds delicious. Can't wait...one week from today we leave.

We are on the Summit on the 8/28 sail and want to tour the island. We have been there before and did the local bus trips but think we missed things. Please recommend either a tour guide for 2 or 3 or 4 couples. Hopefully we can join in.