Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

I just returned from Bermuda on Sat. Booked Colin Jennings a few weeks before our trip. He met us on Weds. the 15th at 9a.m. from our cruise ship in Kings Warf for a 5 hr. tour. He was just excellent and we could not of asked for more information about Bermuda. There were 6 of us in a comfortable van. He took us wherever we wanted and showed us all the highlights. St. George for the Dunking at noon was very interesting we saw all the beaches, the lighthouse and upscale hotels on the island. He explained the island in great detail....I would highly recommend him to all. We had to be back at the ship before 3:30 and he got us back with no trouble. An excellent guide especially for our first time in Bermuda....

Mary Ann

Just wrote the review about Colin Jennings, a word of advice. Our first day on the 14th of April in Bermuda we decided to just take a bus to Hamilton....from Kings Warf....a word of advice stay away from the local buses, it was like a bus ride to hell...waited in line for almost an hour just to get on the bus, then another 45 mins. or more stuffed in this bus with people all standing in the isle practically falling into you. The driver drove like a nut...Needless to say we did not go back on the bus, just wait for the ferry back to port, it was a pleasure after that bus ride.

Hamilton didn't have much to see anyway just some stores and like any other business district in a city.

I disagree that there isn't much to see in Hamilton, but agree that the ferry is better unless you want to stop someplace between Kings Wharf and Hamilton to see something like Gibbs Lighthouse or the Somerset drawbridge (smallest). You can also get to the drawbridge in Somerset village by ferry.

Things to see in Hamilton - includes Albuoy's Point, Fort Hamilton, the Bermuda Historical Society Museum which is in the National Library, the Bermuda National Gallery which is in the City Hall, the Birdcage, Butterfield Bank (coin collection), Cabinet Building, Cenotaph and War Memorial, the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity (Anglican), the Cathedral of St. Theresa (Catholic), Par-la-Ville Park, Perot Post Office, Sessions House, and Victoria Park. And of course there is shopping.

Nathan,

I don't see the Hiawatha listed under your past cruises! (lol ! inside joke for PA residents !) - Anyway, legally, Blue Flagged taxi drivers are USUALLY not allowed to take 7 passengers. The standard size taxi in Bermuda only holds 6 passengers. You may have to do some online, reference book research to find someone who can hold all 7 in one vehicle. If there is such a driver, the Bermuda experts on this board will tell you! If you don't get a name within 10 days of your post, you're probably out of luck here!

Hope this helped a little! - Miriam

Nathan,

I don't see the Hiawatha listed under your past cruises! (lol ! inside joke for PA residents !) - Anyway, legally, Blue Flagged taxi drivers are USUALLY not allowed to take 7 passengers. The standard size taxi in Bermuda only holds 6 passengers. You may have to do some online, reference book research to find someone who can hold all 7 in one vehicle. If there is such a driver, the Bermuda experts on this board will tell you! If you don't get a name within 10 days of your post, you're probably out of luck here!

Hope this helped a little! - Miriam

With the adoption of the new fares and rules in May, 2014 it became legal for the larger taxis to carry 7 passengers. There is room for a 7th passenger in the larger vehicles...in the passenger seat next to the driver in the front of the taxi.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone recommend a good taxi tour driver that holds 7 people? Thanks!

I highly recommend Winsome Tours (Ralph and Julie Richardson, owners). Their private minibus tours are awesome, mixing their family's love and history of Bermuda with all the sites and attractions the group wants. At $80 pp for a group of 7 for a 6 1/2 hour tour which includes a lunch or separate attraction stop (price of lunch not included), it's a terrific value. A five hour tour for 7 is $60 pp.

We were a group of 4 and took the 6 1/2 hr with Julie just last week...it cost more pp for our smaller group, which was fine with us. She is interesting, lovely, knowledgeable and an excellent driver. When we made our reservation they'd asked what we were and weren't interested in seeing and doing, and she personalized the itinerary to fit our requests.

Ricky met us on time at the pier in front of the ship. He was welcoming, courteous, well spoken and generously shared his wealth of knowledge of Bermuda and it's history. He volunteered to take pictures and didn't seem to mind opening, closing and storing my husband's walker at each stop. I would like to thank him especially for what he did not promise on his tour. First, he took the time to walk 10 minutes and bring us something he knew we desired but, due to our disability, would have been out of our reach. Second, after the tour I forgot my jacket in his minibus. I just knew he was the kind of person who would try and get it back to me if it were possible and I was right! The next day he returned it to the ship with my name neatly taped to it.This gentleman is a class act!

The cost was $60pp for 7 or more people.

If the number of people is less than 7, then the cost was $ 70 per hour, nit per person. :):):):):)

We are looking for a two passenger blue flag cab for about 4 hours to tour Bermuda. Any body have e-mails or phone numbers to make arrangements. Leaving on Celebrity Summit May 31, 2015 arriving Bermuda June 3, 2015 Thanks in advance

Gary

David Fox is a neighbor of our friends in Bermuda and they recommended him. 3 couples did a 6-7 hour tour with him and he did a great job for us! He will organize a custom tour for you, based upon your preferences. He was at the front of the taxi line with our names on a poster board. His email is: thefox@logic.bm US phone #US (440) 72I-I66I

He has always been prompt to reply.

We just got off the Summit on Sunday! Great ship. Don't miss the warm salt water adult pool!

Ricky met us on time at the pier in front of the ship. He was welcoming, courteous, well spoken and generously shared his wealth of knowledge of Bermuda and it's history...

Hi Jane -

I'm trying to book Ricky for our party of 15. Were you on his new mini bus for the tour? Could you provide any info as to seating arrangements, and if you think 15 people (mix of adults and kids) could fit comfortably?

He mentioned the 15th seat is the jump seat behind the driver's seat.

Thanks!!

Doug

I just returned from Bermuda on Sat. Booked Colin Jennings a few weeks before our trip. He met us on Weds. the 15th at 9a.m. from our cruise ship in Kings Warf for a 5 hr. tour. He was just excellent and we could not of asked for more information about Bermuda. There were 6 of us in a comfortable van. He took us wherever we wanted and showed us all the highlights. St. George for the Dunking at noon was very interesting we saw all the beaches, the lighthouse and upscale hotels on the island. He explained the island in great detail....I would highly recommend him to all. We had to be back at the ship before 3:30 and he got us back with no trouble. An excellent guide especially for our first time in Bermuda....

Mary Ann

Was wondering about tipping Colin? since he is private? if so, about how much. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken so long to back to you about our tour with Colin Jennings on May 25. He emailed me the day I left home that he couldn't get into Hamilton to pick us up at the ferry dock due to roads being closed for the Bermuda Day parade. I answered him & we met him at the ship.

He was on time with a sign with our name. He also checked & they were not ducking the wench in St George so we just drove by. We were not able to get into the town of Hamilton so we went around it & still saw the harbor area. We stopped at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for a few minutes for pictures & I went into the gift shop. Then we stopped at Somerset Drawbridge & he threw some bread into the water for the fish. That was interesting to see those fish climb over each other & out of the water to get that bread! We also stopped at (I believe) Fort Scaur Park. I asked him to show me the ferry & bus stop in St George so I would know where to go the next day (I ended up not going). I told him I was planning to go to Carter House & he took us there. It was closed & really out of the way but I was satisfied so didn't go back the next day. He stopped at the aquarium & we saw the turtles in a tank out front. Then we rode around some rich areas & saw Michael Douglas' house. We discovered Michael Douglas is related to a founding family in the island. We also saw several beaches & even some farms. My husband said he really enjoyed this tour. We were about 15 minutes late getting back but he didn't charge us any extra. We paid in cash when we finished & I included a tip. I couldn't find another couple to share with us so it was just the 2 of us. We didn't stop for lunch because I was enjoying the tour so much I forgot about food! We ate lunch after we got back.

I would definitely recommend Colin for a customized tour of the island. He was very knowledgeable about his island & able to answer any questions I might have. One thing I found interesting is that each family is allowed only 1 car but they can have multiple scooters. He was allowed to have a commercial vehicle (taxi) in addition to the car.

Edited by PTAngel

Sorry it has taken so long to back to you about our tour with Colin Jennings on May 25. He emailed me the day I left home that he couldn't get into Hamilton to pick us up at the ferry dock due to roads being closed for the Bermuda Day parade. I answered him & we met him at the ship.

He was on time with a sign with our name. He also checked & they were not ducking the wench in St George so we just drove by. We were not able to get into the town of Hamilton so we went around it & still saw the harbor area. We stopped at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for a few minutes for pictures & I went into the gift shop. Then we stopped at Somerset Drawbridge & he threw some bread into the water for the fish. That was interesting to see those fish climb over each other & out of the water to get that bread! We also stopped at (I believe) Fort Scaur Park. I asked him to show me the ferry & bus stop in St George so I would know where to go the next day (I ended up not going). I told him I was planning to go to Carter House & he took us there. It was closed & really out of the way but I was satisfied so didn't go back the next day. He stopped at the aquarium & we saw the turtles in a tank out front. Then we rode around some rich areas & saw Michael Douglas' house. We discovered Michael Douglas is related to a founding family in the island. We also saw several beaches & even some farms. My husband said he really enjoyed this tour. We were about 15 minutes late getting back but he didn't charge us any extra. We paid in cash when we finished & I included a tip. I couldn't find another couple to share with us so it was just the 2 of us. We didn't stop for lunch because I was enjoying the tour so much I forgot about food! We ate lunch after we got back.

I would definitely recommend Colin for a customized tour of the island. He was very knowledgeable about his island & able to answer any questions I might have. One thing I found interesting is that each family is allowed only 1 car but they can have multiple scooters. He was allowed to have a commercial vehicle (taxi) in addition to the car.

Thanks for the review. we have a tour booked with him in October.

I think you'll be very happy with him. I don't take private tours because of the possibility of missing the boat but we didn't have to worry about that this trip because we were in Bermuda for 3 days. I learned my lesson the first cruise when we were late 45 minutes past sailing time & the ship was waiting for us. After my experience with Colin, I will feel more comfortable booking private tours.

I am booking Colin Jennings for a private tour of the island for the last day that our ship will be in Bermuda. I am nervous about doing a private tour the day the ship leaves for fear something will delay us and not making it back to the ship in time. That is the day that he is available and we are available. We can do a mini bus tour of the island through the ship but Colin seems so much better. Any thoughts from past experiences? Having never been in Bermuda, i have no clue how traffic and such operates/backs up, etc.

We met him around 9:30 am & he brought us back around 2:45 pm. It was a 5 hour tour. Just be sure to let him know what time you need to be back to the ship.

I will try to attach a picture of him he insisted we take when we got back.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AaM2jJo0bN2Tb2A

Hopefully, this will work.

Edited by PTAngel

I think you'll be very happy with him. I don't take private tours because of the possibility of missing the boat but we didn't have to worry about that this trip because we were in Bermuda for 3 days. I learned my lesson the first cruise when we were late 45 minutes past sailing time & the ship was waiting for us. After my experience with Colin, I will feel more comfortable booking private tours.

We have never booked a private tour before (always do ship excursions)and this will be our 29th cruise. We'll be there for 3 days also so that's why we're doing private.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning! I have emailed three different drivers that are recommended on this thread for a private tour for my DW and myself. Since we will be in Bermuda Aug. 3rd and 4th, if they are already booked, can we just walk off the ship and hire one then for a private tour? :confused:

Good Morning! I have emailed three different drivers that are recommended on this thread for a private tour for my DW and myself. Since we will be in Bermuda Aug. 3rd and 4th, if they are already booked, can we just walk off the ship and hire one then for a private tour? :confused:

We have been to Bermuda many times and I just don't remember seeing taxi drivers for hire waiting at the port. Bermuda is very different from the Caribbean ports. As you walk to Kings wharf, there are tour buses waiting to pick tourists up. Not sure if they are all cruise ship tours. Perhaps, you could ask where they are going and if there's room available. At the port, I only remember signs for snorkeling tours and other types of boat tours.

We went on a tour with Colin several years ago and it was excellent but you can do everything on your own if you miss out on having a tour guide. The island is only about 21 miles long and 2 miles across. We always get a multi-day bus/Ferry pass right at the port. You can get the ferry to St. George, a very quaint town, and they have an excellent walking tour that starts at the Town hall and takes you to a lot of historical sites. You can easily walk to the perfume factory and also tobacco bay beach from St. George.

Email the Bermuda bureau of tourism and they will send you a fabulous packet with maps, information and bus/ferry schedules. They may even be able to answer your question about taxi drivers for hire at the port. Good luck… And if you need any information on how to travel around the island I would happy to help.

yes, you should see a line up of taxi drivers available. most would love to give you a tour.....just negotiate a price before you get in. the taxi drivers in Bermuda are very friendly. :)