Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

We used Quinton last week. You will be very happy you booked him. He is professional, knowledgeable, and a true gentleman. Tell him Jennie and family said hello.

This is great news -- thanks, Jennie! I will tell Quinton about your recommendation. We sail on June 5.

Edited by marti2282

Husband and I and our 2 boys, 15 and 18 will be on the Summit 8/14. Sounds like the private taxi is the best option to see the Island. Can anyone give me a sample itinerary of what to see during a 4 hour private tour? Feeling a little overwhelmed. I would love to see the pink sand, thinking of touring atleast one of the caves and take in some of the history. Should we have the taxi drop us back to the ship of drop off elsewhere?

We sailed on May 1st on the Summit and took a 4 hour taxi tour with Sydney Robertson. He is a qualified tour guide of his beautiful island in taxi 1029. He centered our tour around our interests. Stopped at sites we wanted and showed us the most beautiful "driving range" on the island! We highly recommend him!

Sydney Robertson

sydrob@cellone.blackberry.com

cell: 441-335-0888

home: 441-238-4598

Husband and I and our 2 boys, 15 and 18 will be on the Summit 8/14. Sounds like the private taxi is the best option to see the Island. Can anyone give me a sample itinerary of what to see during a 4 hour private tour? Feeling a little overwhelmed. I would love to see the pink sand, thinking of touring atleast one of the caves and take in some of the history. Should we have the taxi drop us back to the ship of drop off elsewhere?

A group on our roll call has booked a tour and were given the following itinerary. Hope it is helpful to you.

Wharf pick up at 8:45 AM

Heldon Trust Chapel

Fort Scaur Park, fantastic vistas

Somerset Bridge, smallest drawbridge in the world

30 minutes on your on in Hamilton, & a surprise at the Aquarium

Drive to ST George, hopefully see reenactment of the ducking stool, St. Peter's Church, 30 minutes on your own

If we wish we can incorporate a visit to the Crystal Caves or Aquarium, saving $99 per person ships price

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Lunch is on our own.

This was suggested for 6 hours. Not sure what specifics other operators are offering. We have tour booked, but figured we would chat with the driver and see what he thought we could accomplish in a day when we got there.

Edited by marti2282

A group on our roll call has booked a tour and were given the following itinerary. Hope it is helpful to you.

Wharf pick up at 8:45 AM

Heldon Trust Chapel

Fort Scaur Park, fantastic vistas

Somerset Bridge, smallest drawbridge in the world

30 minutes on your on in Hamilton, & a surprise at the Aquarium

Drive to ST George, hopefully see reenactment of the ducking stool, St. Peter's Church, 30 minutes on your own

If we wish we can incorporate a visit to the Crystal Caves or Aquarium, saving $99 per person ships price

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Lunch is on our own.

This was suggested for 6 hours. Not sure what specifics other operators are offering. We have tour booked, but figured we would chat with the driver and see what he thought we could accomplish in a day when we got there.

I used a tour guide 2 times on my 3 visits of Bermuda,

I am not a fan of time "on our own" in any tours because you still pay for that time..I mean two 30 minutes stop will cost you 50$ or 70$ depending on how many you are in the van.

Both tours I did I asked the driver to end the tour in Hamilton...that way you save around 40 minutes of "backtracking" between Hamilton and the Dockyard on your way back AND you also save the 30 minute "on our own time" in Hamilton since you will end the tour there and have all the time you want. You use the ferry back to the Dockyard for a few $ each at the time YOU wish.

So your guide would have you do and see everything in a logic order when leaving the Dockyard, skipping Hamilton since you could finish there, visit St-Georges and end in Hamilton.

This tour could be a 4 or 5 hour tour and be plenty long enough to see the main attractions...so if you have a good breakfast on the ship you could have lunch in Hamilton at the end of the tour and easily shave 1 or 2 hours from the original 6 hours.

But the possibilities are almost endless...

Enjoy beautiful Bermuda !!!

It is also possible to do it the other way. Have breakfast on the ship and take the ferry to St. Georges. Sightsee there and have lunch. Then have the guide pick you up and take you back the length of the island to places that you want to see, such as St. David's lighthouse, Gibbs Lighthouse, Tucker Town, and those things that don't take long to visit.

Then you can go and see the places where you want to go in and look around like the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) by bus, or look at the Maritime Museum and the places around King's Wharf on your own.

It is also possible to do it the other way. Have breakfast on the ship and take the ferry to St. Georges. Sightsee there and have lunch. Then have the guide pick you up and take you back the length of the island to places that you want to see, such as St. David's lighthouse, Gibbs Lighthouse, Tucker Town, and those things that don't take long to visit.

Then you can go and see the places where you want to go in and look around like the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) by bus, or look at the Maritime Museum and the places around King's Wharf on your own.

It's more "difficult" to have a taxi pick you up in St-Georges because they basically have an empty ride all the way to St-Georges to pick up passengers.

It has been reported in the past that taxis were available only at peak hours.

If you make prior arrangements with a driver you should be fine then.

I used a tour guide 2 times on my 3 visits of Bermuda,

I am not a fan of time "on our own" in any tours because you still pay for that time..I mean two 30 minutes stop will cost you 50$ or 70$ depending on how many you are in the van.

Both tours I did I asked the driver to end the tour in Hamilton...that way you save around 40 minutes of "backtracking" between Hamilton and the Dockyard on your way back AND you also save the 30 minute "on our own time" in Hamilton since you will end the tour there and have all the time you want. You use the ferry back to the Dockyard for a few $ each at the time YOU wish.

So your guide would have you do and see everything in a logic order when leaving the Dockyard, skipping Hamilton since you could finish there, visit St-Georges and end in Hamilton.

This tour could be a 4 or 5 hour tour and be plenty long enough to see the main attractions...so if you have a good breakfast on the ship you could have lunch in Hamilton at the end of the tour and easily shave 1 or 2 hours from the original 6 hours.

But the possibilities are almost endless...

Enjoy beautiful Bermuda !!!

This is brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing your insite. Especially like the drop off in Hamilton!

It's more "difficult" to have a taxi pick you up in St-Georges because they basically have an empty ride all the way to St-Georges to pick up passengers.

It has been reported in the past that taxis were available only at peak hours.

If you make prior arrangements with a driver you should be fine then.

Depends on where the blue flag guide is based. Not all of them are from Hamilton or Kings Wharf. When I did it (with a guide who is no longer working because of health reasons), it was much easier for him to pick us up in St. George because his wife was the harbor master there - picking us in in Kings Wharf made a long extra trip for him.

This is brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing your insite. Especially like the drop off in Hamilton!

Can't imagine going to St. George for just a fly by and not having a bit of time to see some of the things like St. Peter's Church, The Perfumery, the ducking stool, the unfinished church, or just strolling around the charming lanes.

Can't imagine going to St. George for just a fly by and not having a bit of time to see some of the things like St. Peter's Church, The Perfumery, the ducking stool, the unfinished church, or just strolling around the charming lanes.

There are a couple of places that I don't think you need a Blue Flag Guide to visit because the guide would just be waiting around. The main towns of Bermuda (St. George and Hamilton) are two of them, and also the Kings Wharf area, Flatts Village and Fort St. Catherine

The places that are interesting to visit which you can get to on your own, but are easier with a guide are things like the beaches (to look at them), the lighthouses, Heydon Trust Chapel and Waterville (which are things for a future visit), the smallest drawbridge, Black Watch Pass, Tucker Town and places like that.

(The Perfumery does not interest me - perfumes make me sneeze- and I've never seen the ducking stool in use. But you should definitely visit St. Peters (and the cemetery there), Somer's Garden, the Town Hall (for the free slide show), look at the stocks in front of the bank in King's Square, the Deliverance, White Horse Tavern, the 1620 Old State House, Bridge House, the Historical Society Museum, the Printery, the old rectory and the unfinished church)

Edited by grandmaR

One thing I think people should not do on a tour is go to the Caves. You will be paying guide to sit around for an hour or more. Our guide suggested the Caves and we declined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

There are a couple of places that I don't think you need a Blue Flag Guide to visit because the guide would just be waiting around. The main towns of Bermuda (St. George and Hamilton) are two of them, and also the Kings Wharf area, Flatts Village and Fort St. Catherine

The places that are interesting to visit which you can get to on your own, but are easier with a guide are things like the beaches (to look at them), the lighthouses, Heydon Trust Chapel and Waterville (which are things for a future visit), the smallest drawbridge, Black Watch Pass, Tucker Town and places like that.

(The Perfumery does not interest me - perfumes make me sneeze- and I've never seen the ducking stool in use. But you should definitely visit St. Peters (and the cemetery there), Somer's Garden, the Town Hall (for the free slide show), look at the stocks in front of the bank in King's Square, the Deliverance, White Horse Tavern, the 1620 Old State House, Bridge House, the Historical Society Museum, the Printery, the old rectory and the unfinished church)

My response was to the person who thought it was great to cut off 30 minutes in St. George. Yes, it is easy to do it on your own but if they're already on a tour, IMO, 30 minutes is worth it. Of course everyone is going to have places they think are worth seeing, or not seeing, I just mentioned a few and added the etc. which indicates everything else.

There is some great info here. Thanks everyone!

It will be our second trip to Bermuda but the first time was a wash out. It rained the whole time except for 2 hours where we jumped on the ferry to Hamilton, only to find everything closed because it was Victoria Day! At least we saw a parade.

That was a surprise cruise for my 50th. This time I am taking my husband on a surprise for his 60th. so lets hope for great weather. Regardless, this time we are going to see the island come hell or high water!

I am going to start emailing some of the Private tour guides that people have liked. Hopefully we can still get a tour for early Sept. this time we are going to be there Labour day. Crap I'll bet everything is closed again! Maybe we'll have to plan for the tour the second day. I'll let you know how I make out!

Labor Day is a USA holiday. They don't celebrate it outside the USA. So the only problem will be other people from the USA that want tours.

I have been to Bermuda when it was rainy - it was rainy at the ship all day, but we were elsewhere on the island and it didn't rain on us.

In any case, there are things you can do inside in Bermuda - some are more inside than others. The caves are all inside. The Maritime Museum and the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) are largely inside.

Labor Day is a USA holiday. They don't celebrate it outside the USA. So the only problem will be other people from the USA that want tours.

I have been to Bermuda when it was rainy - it was rainy at the ship all day, but we were elsewhere on the island and it didn't rain on us.

In any case, there are things you can do inside in Bermuda - some are more inside than others. The caves are all inside. The Maritime Museum and the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) are largely inside.

They celebrate Labour Day in Bermuda. It is an official Bermuda public holiday. Much will be closed. The same date as the US Labor Day.

I recommend doing a beach.

You are not the first to fall into it is a USA holiday meme. Seems to be some kind of preconception. It is easy enough to Google Bermuda holidays.

Edited by Charles4515

They celebrate Labour Day in Bermuda. It is an official Bermuda public holiday. Much will be closed. The same date as the US Labor Day.

I recommend doing a beach.

You are not the first to fall into it is a USA holiday meme. Seems to be some kind of preconception. It is easy enough to Google Bermuda holidays.

Yep, Labour Day is listed on my Bermuda calendar.

For those of you who have done the taxi tours, how much will our tour be impacted by things being closed, especially in St. George?

Or are we mostly seeing scenery and history?

We can always take a ferry to Hamilton or St. George the second day.

Or should we take our tour the second day instead?

For those of you who have done the taxi tours, how much will our tour be impacted by things being closed, especially in St. George?

Or are we mostly seeing scenery and history?

We can always take a ferry to Hamilton or St. George the second day.

Or should we take our tour the second day instead?

The four hour tour we did if it had been on Labour Day would not have been impacted. We started in Hamilton and did the East End. It was scenery and history. We stopped several beaches just to take a look. Shelly, John Smith, Natural Arches. Drove thru Tucker Town. Stopped at Flats Village. Stopped at a moon gate. Took everyone's picture under the moon gate. The taxi driver/guide told us a lot of stuff about Bermuda. Showed us native flowers and trees.

Edited by Charles4515

The things that are closed on holidays are:

• All Government Offices - administrative or service, including Post Offices.
  • Stores, shops, & businesses, except those with a holiday trading license, able and willing to pay their staff double overtime and thinking they might benefit from arriving cruise ships, etc. on that day. It is entirely up to each shop, store and business whether or not they open that day and if they do their staff may have the option of whether or not they wish to work on that day.
  • Garbage removal services when Government provided nationally and in the City of Hamilton.
  • Local newspapers do not publish print versions on public holidays.
  • Most local restaurants (except at hotels) are closed.
  • Buses and ferries are on a much-reduced Sunday schedule.
  • Many taxis do not operate.
  • Tour operators may not operate or may have reduced services. However, in the cruise ship season, when pre-booked in advance by the cruise lines and prepaid by or pre-charged to passengers, cruise line excursions may operate.

I don't think the government offices be closed, newspapers not being printed, or garbage removal not working would be a problem. And you can eat on the ship. I would almost bet that some of the stores would be open, but I'm not sure which ones.

So I would think that it would be better to have a pre-booked blue flag taxi tour to visit the scenic areas of the island on Labor Day because there will be a reduced bus and ferry schedule and especially the ferry to St. Georges may not run as that is mostly a commuter ferry. You can go back and see the attractions that are not open and shop on the next day.