New Traditional Dining Time coming out

CruisinEars

Just returned a few days ago. We were on the Sapphire and our 5:30 traditional was in the International DR. Don't know if seating is different just for 5:15-5:30 but we were seated to the right and back of the room. We were a family of six. We got there late twice, once at 5:45 and another time at 6:00. We also noticed that some other tables of families got in late once or twice as well. We all pretty much finished dinner around 7:30.

Also, once my sister/hubby were a bit late, our waiter asked if we wanted to start "now or wait" for the other two. We choose to wait about 20 minutes, no problem. :)

If you can't get there "on time", why not go to anytime dining or the buffet?

If you can't get there "on time", why not go to anytime dining or the buffet?

As I stated, the waiters were very accommodating, we were only late twice and always by 6 p.m. Traditional diners cannot go to anytime UNLESS it's a late port day. Why go to the buffet? It wasn't as if our table was going to be given to anyone else. As I also stated, we were always finished dinner by 7:30 which allow enough time to turn over the tables for late seating.

Can't say that I agree with you on that. They are 2 of my most favorite ships and I love their anytime Dr's.

I'll have to agree with Colo about the Sapphire. Having to walk around to 4 different dining rooms on two decks to see if there was a table available was annoying. I'm hoping I like the implementation better on the Ruby next year but it looks like it will still be on different decks.

I'll have to agree with Colo about the Sapphire. Having to walk around to 4 different dining rooms on two decks to see if there was a table available was annoying. I'm hoping I like the implementation better on the Ruby next year but it looks like it will still be on different decks.

Yes, both of the dining rooms near the Atrium are anytime. Usually the one on deck 5 will have less of a wait than the one on deck 6, so check there first.

My wife and I felt the same way about the 4 smaller dining rooms on the Sapphire. It sounded like a good idea, but in practice, we just didn't like it. Three different evenings we tried to go to the Pacific Moon dining room. All 3 times we were told it was full. We said we wouldn't mind waiting, because we wanted to try all 4 dining rooms. We were told it would be too long of a wait, and the Maitre'd had one of his staff walk us to a different dining room. We wound up eating in the Santa Fe dining room most nights. It was usually the least crowded one.

Another thing we didn't like about the Sapphire dining rooms was the layout of most of the tables for 2. A bench seat along the wall with 4 small tables. Not a private dining experience at all.

On the other hand, we loved how Anytime Dining was set up on the Star Princess. Two large dining rooms, with plenty of nice tables for two. A few nights we even had a table for four all to ourselves. A much more pleasant experience. Your Ruby cruise should be more like that. We found that the dining room on deck 5 was usually less crowded.

As I stated, the waiters were very accommodating, we were only late twice and always by 6 p.m. Traditional diners cannot go to anytime UNLESS it's a late port day. Why go to the buffet? It wasn't as if our table was going to be given to anyone else. As I also stated, we were always finished dinner by 7:30 which allow enough time to turn over the tables for late seating.

If you can't be on time then sign up for anytime dining. Apparently you misunderstood me. Why should they have to accommodate those that can't make it on time? There job is hard enough.

If you can't be on time then sign up for anytime dining. Apparently you misunderstood me. Why should they have to accommodate those that can't make it on time? There job is hard enough.

We actually choose anytime but for some reason we got 5:30 traditional. I won't bother to explain all the hassles we went through trying to fix things since I don't know you and don't own you anything. But thank you for your comments. :rolleyes:

We actually choose anytime but for some reason we got 5:30 traditional. I won't bother to explain all the hassles we went through trying to fix things since I don't know you and don't own you anything. But thank you for your comments. :rolleyes:

If you don't know the person, how do you know you don't owe them anything? That person might hold your mortgage or your car loan.

If you don't know the person, how do you know you don't owe them anything? That person might hold your mortgage or your car loan.

Hmmmm...pretty common sense I think.

After all these months really nice responses, I finally return from my wonderful cruise and want to post MY experience and THIS is what I get. If and when I post a review I'll be sure to edit very carefully as not to offend or anger anyone.

Hmmmm...pretty common sense I think.

After all these months really nice responses, I finally return from my wonderful cruise and want to post MY experience and THIS is what I get. If and when I post a review I'll be sure to edit very carefully as not to offend or anger anyone.

Seems to me that you're the one who is offended. All I'm saying is if you can't make it to dinner on time then use the buffet if you can't get anytime dining.

Good Grief:eek:

If and when I post a review I'll be sure to edit very carefully as not to offend or anger anyone.

Once you do that, given the folks here, your review will consist of:

"I went on a cruise".

Even then, you'll probably be attacked.

I'm glad your waitstaff were so accommodating. Sounds like they deserved a big tip on top of the auto-tip.

One of the problems when passengers arrive substantially late is that the Traditional dining room and kitchen are geared towards serving courses within a time range. The chefs prepare and plate the appetizers, then the salads, etc. They then move on to preparing and plating entrees, etc. When someone arrives substantially late, that throws the timing off because the chefs have to stop what they're doing and go back to re-prepare and plate. Your waitstaff goes to one section of the kitchen to get the plated food. If they then have to go back to a previous section, that throws the timing off as well, slowing service for everyone in your waitstaff's section. Yes, the table is sitting there but as I said, it's very nice of your waitstaff to be accommodating and I hope you rewarded them appropriately.

I'm glad your waitstaff were so accommodating. Sounds like they deserved a big tip on top of the auto-tip.

One of the problems when passengers arrive substantially late is that the Traditional dining room and kitchen are geared towards serving courses within a time range. The chefs prepare and plate the appetizers, then the salads, etc. They then move on to preparing and plating entrees, etc. When someone arrives substantially late, that throws the timing off because the chefs have to stop what they're doing and go back to re-prepare and plate. Your waitstaff goes to one section of the kitchen to get the plated food. If they then have to go back to a previous section, that throws the timing off as well, slowing service for everyone in your waitstaff's section. Yes, the table is sitting there but as I said, it's very nice of your waitstaff to be accommodating and I hope you rewarded them appropriately.

That's how I should have worded it. Thanks for the help.:)

I am very pleased that Princess has made this change in an attempt to please more people. On our last two cruises we had signed on for early TD at 6:00 and on both occasions the early TD was changed to 5:30 when we boarded. We did the best we could with the time and made it to all but two dinners ( tours ran late ). I'm sure these changes resulted in TD diners switching to the AD restaurants and others complaining. We know on the second cruise a couple at the next table showed up late every night and I'm sure their attitude was I signed up for 6 so I'll eat at 6. I think the new time is Princess' attempt to solve these issues. We are again choosing early TD at 6:00 for our cruise in January so keep your fingers crossed they don't change it again.

I am very pleased that Princess has made this change in an attempt to please more people. On our last two cruises we had signed on for early TD at 6:00 and on both occasions the early TD was changed to 5:30 when we boarded. We did the best we could with the time and made it to all but two dinners ( tours ran late ). I'm sure these changes resulted in TD diners switching to the AD restaurants and others complaining. We know on the second cruise a couple at the next table showed up late every night and I'm sure their attitude was I signed up for 6 so I'll eat at 6. I think the new time is Princess' attempt to solve these issues. We are again choosing early TD at 6:00 for our cruise in January so keep your fingers crossed they don't change it again.

I think I read that they're switching to the 5:30 time fleet-wide? Anybody know?

We had Traditional dining at 5:30 pm on the Island Princess. At first we thought it was too early, but it actually worked out fine because we got up early in the morning for shore excursions or just to enjoy the view.

But, because of shore excursions, we missed our 5:30 pm reservation on 3 days. Buffet dinner in Horizon court worked out fine, mostly, but I wonder whether we were supposed to tell someone.

Per Princess website

Dinner

Main Dining Room

Traditional Dining Times

5:30 PM*

6:00 PM

8:15 PM

OR see Post #27 on page 2 of this thread

May 13, 2010

Princess Cruises adds new Traditional Dining seating time

As part of Princess Cruises’ continuing commitment to service, we’re pleased to announce the addition of a third Traditional Dining seating time on most voyages. The new seating time is in response to the high demand we’ve received for our popular Traditional Dining option, and as the Consummate Host®, we’re happy to accommodate our guests and travel agent partners.

The new seating time will be in a separate dining room at either 5:15 pm or 5:30 pm depending on the voyage. The only voyages not offering the third seating will be on our small ships, or those sailing in Australia. Below is a chart outlining the Traditional Dining seating times for each ship:

Ship

Traditional Dining Seating Times

Grand/Diamond Class

Grand Princess

Golden Princess

Star Princess

Caribbean Princess

Crown Princess

Emerald Princess

Ruby Princess

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

5:30 pm (NEW)

6:00 pm

8:15 pm

Coral Class and Sea Princess

Sea Princess (non-Australia voyages)

Coral Princess

Island Princess

5:15 pm (NEW)

6:00 pm

8:15 pm

Thank you Pam.

You have always been great with wording your posts carefully and I appreciate that very much. We would never have been late purposely and I suppose we shouldn't have waited for my "always late" sister, eeek! We did tip our waiters as well as our cabin attendant extra as they were all so great! I just wish we had the same service at the front desk but that's another story. :)

I just had to edit since I noticed the post about traditonal dining times 5:30, 6:00 and 8:15. Since we were in the Inter'l DR at 5:30, how do they differentiate us with the 6:00 diners? Just curious since the table next to ours was late a couple of times that I actually noticed them.

• 2 months later...

We have had problems in the past trying to get the traditional dining. On our last cruise we did have a choice and were able to get the 5:30 time, and so were the couple who were traveling with us. We were very happy with this arrangement, and think that Princess is doing the right thing. We are retired and are usually ready to retire for the night by 10 so being able to eat early allows us to see one of the shows and even dance a little in one of the lounges.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed August 10th on Crown Princess. 10 of us wanted early traditional dining but were put of the wait list. Several weeks prior to the cruise Princess emailed us that they had opened the 3rd dining option for 5:30 pm dining. We thought it was a bit early but opted for it.

Our table was in the Da Vinci Dining Room along with the Anytime diners. Only part of the dining room was used as Traditional dining. It was well organized and we did not see long waits at that time for the Anytime diners. On one night we opted for a later dining, around 8:00 pm, we used Anytime Dining and had to wait approxmately 30 minutes. They gave us a pager and said we could wait in the lounge.

I believe it was a great idea to offer passengers this third Traditional dining offer. Cheers for Princess!!:)

There weren't three dining times on our recent Golden cruise, only two. Traditional was 5:45 and 8:30, in the Canaletto dining room only. The Bernini and Donatello dining rooms were both Anytime Dining.

I was a bit surprised because when we made our reservations we requested early traditional at 6 PM. We were waitlisted for that and assigned Anytime. Then when they announced the third traditional time at 5:45 we requested that. I received a subsequent email saying we had been assigned 6PM. LOL When we boarded we found we were asigned 5:45. But again, there was no 6 PM Traditional on this sailing.

I am still not happy that sometimes they seem to take a DR from Anytime and make it a 5:30 PM Traditional . On the Crown Sept. 27 sailing this caused anger, confusion, crowding and we ended up eating at 5:15 (at least getting in line then) or if arriving later we had waits in excess of one hour. Somehow it seems unfair to allow traditional diners preference in assigning DRs and then allowing individual diners to choose to go to the remaining anytime DR taking even more seats from anytimers. Our cruise cards were checked at the door every night and the waiter also asked for our room number each night (wrote it down). The reservation system did not work either -- it was always "closed" by about 9 AM. I'm Platinum but no special "line" for us in DR. I liked eating with different folks each night but it did not live up to my expectations. I also thought that service was slower and less friendly. Of course people who had just waited (mostly standing in line) for over an hour probably were not the waiters idea of ideal customers either. Next cruise I will really have to flip a coin to determine if I want to avoid the long waits or the permanent boring tablemate.:eek:

Next cruise I will really have to flip a coin to determine if I want to avoid the long waits or the permanent boring tablemate.:eek:

If you have already determine that your table mates are boring, then please pick the long waits.

Archived