New Traditional Dining Time coming out

CruisinEars

We always have late seating anyway.

Who the heck wants to eat at 5:15?

I'm sort of surprised at your comment. I'm sure there are as many folks who would like to eat early as those that like to eat late. Isn't that what options are all about?

Glad to see what Princess has done! We have tried the so called flexible dining and never felt like we had the level of service that we got with "traditional"

This is what brings me back to Traditional time and time again. The level of service I have received in the anytime dining rooms has been below average at best.

On my last cruise, we had some anytime diners join us at our table in traditional as it had some empty spots. They commented "at last, decent service"....

There's another way to look at this. I like knowing exactly what time I'm going to dinner and plan accordingly. I like being able to walk right in to "my" table, have "my" servers ready with my iced tea, etc. without waiting a minute. If it's late Traditional, which we prefer, then I have a late lunch. Or, if I have to have an early lunch due to a tour or whatever, I go up for a salad or something in the afternoon. No one's TELLING me what time I have to eat; that's my choice. I eat when I want, which is later. And, I prefer not having to wait 30 - 45 minutes with a buzzer which to me means you're not really eating at the time you want.

Princess offers a variety of dining options called "Personal Choice" and that's exactly what it is. Frankly, even NCL's "Freestyle" wouldn't be enough to get me on an NCL ship.

I agree Pam. We prefer late Traditional for those same reasons. What irritates me is people that book Traditional, and then never show up in the Dining room at the proper time. Their seats stay empty the whole cruise, where they could have been made available for someone who wanted the Traditional dining. This happened on our cruise in April on the Island Princess. We had a table for 10, 1 couple only came to the dining room once, the other one, twice. I think the Maitre d or Head Waiter should monitor this, and if the seats stay empty for two nights in a row, a nice note should be sent to their staterooms telling them that they have forfeited their Traditional Dining time, and they would be more than welcome in one of the other dining venues.

Lola in Hamilton

I agree Pam. We prefer late Traditional for those same reasons. What irritates me is people that book Traditional' date=' and then never show up in the Dining room at the proper time. Their seats stay empty the whole cruise, where they could have been made available for someone who wanted the Traditional dining. This happened on our cruise in April on the Island Princess. We had a table for 10, 1 couple only came to the dining room once, the other one, twice. I think the Maitre d or Head Waiter should monitor this, and if the seats stay empty for two nights in a row, a nice note should be sent to their staterooms telling them that they have forfeited their Traditional Dining time, and they would be more than welcome in one of the other dining venues.

Lola in Hamilton[/quote']

I think the "note" to the room is great idea. Maybe Princess will take note !

I agree Pam. We prefer late Traditional for those same reasons. What irritates me is people that book Traditional' date=' and then never show up in the Dining room at the proper time. Their seats stay empty the whole cruise, where they could have been made available for someone who wanted the Traditional dining. This happened on our cruise in April on the Island Princess. We had a table for 10, 1 couple only came to the dining room once, the other one, twice. I think the Maitre d or Head Waiter should monitor this, and if the seats stay empty for two nights in a row, a nice note should be sent to their staterooms telling them that they have forfeited their Traditional Dining time, and they would be more than welcome in one of the other dining venues.

Lola in Hamilton[/quote']

Having only used Anytime dining to date on our four previous cruises, we're approaching our upcoming Polynesian cruise with some uncertainty as the size of the ship dictates that we must have Traditional dining. We never eat before 6:30 at home, and rarely before 7:30 on holiday. However, the ludicrous timings on our cruise mean that we will have to wait until gone 8pm to be served. There's a fair chance that a busy day could leave my tummy eating my shirt by then!! Discomfort may dictate that we can't wait that long some nights and may attack the buffet. Equally, we will want to use the speciality restaurants at least once, maybe twice, in the course of the cruise. The idea that the cruise police might send me a "summons" because those evenings came in very close proximity does not sound like one which is connected to a relaxed holiday!

Having only used Anytime dining to date on our four previous cruises, we're approaching our upcoming Polynesian cruise with some uncertainty as the size of the ship dictates that we must have Traditional dining. We never eat before 6:30 at home, and rarely before 7:30 on holiday. However, the ludicrous timings on our cruise mean that we will have to wait until gone 8pm to be served. There's a fair chance that a busy day could leave my tummy eating my shirt by then!! Discomfort may dictate that we can't wait that long some nights and may attack the buffet. Equally, we will want to use the speciality restaurants at least once, maybe twice, in the course of the cruise. The idea that the cruise police might send me a "summons" because those evenings came in very close proximity does not sound like one which is connected to a relaxed holiday!

I've been reading this thread w/ interest. One thing I wanted to ask if those who have cruised Princess more recently, our last cruise on Princess was in 2006, is there now a significant wait for Anytime Dining? We usually went (only 2 of us so maybe that's why we never had to wait) between 6:30-8:30 and never had more than a 5 min. wait. We cruised on Carnival, and I didn't find the level of service in their traditional dining to be equal to the Anytime Dining service on Princess.

Hi momof7

That's been pretty much our experience too. We were on Princess in the Caribbean last Jan, generally went to the restaurants around 7:30 to 8 and only had one wait of 15 mins in two weeks. Rest of time we were in 5 mins or (usually) less. We were happy to join along with any fellow cruisers and that seems to help too. It's when people start wanting a table for... whatever their party of acquaintances is, that the problems start. In all four cruises, two with Princess, two with NCL, it's been noticeable that 7:30 seems a popular start time for a lot of Anytimers and that few seem to turn up after 8, so why do Princess seem to think that 8:15 is a good alternative for late diners at Traditional sittings?

We prefer late Traditional for those same reasons. What irritates me is people that book Traditional' date=' and then never show up in the Dining room at the proper time. Their seats stay empty the whole cruise, where they could have been made available for someone who wanted the Traditional dining. This happened on our cruise in April on the Island Princess. We had a table for 10, 1 couple only came to the dining room once, the other one, twice. I think the Maitre d or Head Waiter should monitor this, and if the seats stay empty for two nights in a row, a nice note should be sent to their staterooms telling them that they have forfeited their Traditional Dining time, and they would be more than welcome in one of the other dining venues.[/quote']

We are on a cruise on the Coral in October. We are waitlisted for the Traditional dining at 6:00 PM and confirmed at the Traditional dining at 5:15 PM. We've told our TA, on several occasions, that we do not want the 5:15 Traditional dining and have requested that we remain waitlisted for the 6:00 PM Traditional and conformed for Anytime. She tells us that this cannot be done.

If we cannot get confirmed for the 6:00 Traditional, we will go to see the Maître D’ after we board to (1) try to get into the 6:00 Traditional, or (2) request to be put into Anytime if we can't get the 6:00 PM Traditional.

Princess needs to be more flexible. It needs to allow guests to be waitlisted for one kind of dining and confirmed for the other. Otherwise you are going to have empty tables because people won't take the time to check in with the Maître D’ (or don't know that they should). Who knows how many people are confirmed at the 6:00 PM Traditional but won't show up because they want something else?

We are on a cruise on the Coral in October. We are waitlisted for the Traditional dining at 6:00 PM and confirmed at the Traditional dining at 5:15 PM. We've told our TA, on several occasions, that we do not want the 5:15 Traditional dining and have requested that we remain waitlisted for the 6:00 PM Traditional and conformed for Anytime. She tells us that this cannot be done.

If we cannot get confirmed for the 6:00 Traditional, we will go to see the Maître D’ after we board to (1) try to get into the 6:00 Traditional, or (2) request to be put into Anytime if we can't get the 6:00 PM Traditional.

Princess needs to be more flexible. It needs to allow guests to be waitlisted for one kind of dining and confirmed for the other. Otherwise you are going to have empty tables because people won't take the time to check in with the Maître D’ (or don't know that they should). Who knows how many people are confirmed at the 6:00 PM Traditional but won't show up because they want something else?

I'd call Princess and confirm with them on this matter. 1-800-Princess

TA is wrong.

You should have anytime confirmed and be watlisted for the 6:00pm trad.

why do Princess seem to think that 8:15 is a good alternative for late diners at Traditional sittings?

Because with early traditional at 6:00, it takes until 8:15 for the early traditional diners to finish and the waitstaff to prepare for the late traditional people.

Because with early traditional at 6:00, it takes until 8:15 for the early traditional diners to finish and the waitstaff to prepare for the late traditional people.

Good answer.

A lot of people are asking where the new early traditional dining will be held.....there is someone posting live from the Caribbean princess reporting that there is a small section in each of the anytime rooms being used for the 5:15 seating, and when the 5:15 diners clear out, those tables revert back to anytime.

A lot of people are asking where the new early traditional dining will be held.....there is someone posting live from the Caribbean princess reporting that there is a small section in each of the anytime rooms being used for the 5:15 seating, and when the 5:15 diners clear out, those tables revert back to anytime.

Are you saying there are no tables for Anytime diners? :confused:

That we will have to wait :rolleyes::cool: until the early TD diners are done? :eek:

I don't think so. :cool:

there is someone posting live from the Caribbean princess reporting that there is a small section in each of the anytime rooms being used for the 5:15 seating.

Are you saying there are no tables for Anytime diners? :confused:

That we will have to wait :rolleyes::cool: until the early TD diners are done? :eek:

I don't think so. :cool:

The post says that a small section is for the fixed seating. That means that a larger section is still available for anytime.

Will we still have the same waiter for the duration of the cruise if we do the early traditional? My wedding group opted to move because we were buried on the waitlist for the 6pm seating.

Will we still have the same waiter for the duration of the cruise if we do the early traditional? My wedding group opted to move because we were buried on the waitlist for the 6pm seating.

Yes. that's what traditional means - same table, same waiter, same time (might as well add same place ;) ) Just earlier than the 6:00 you originally wanted.

• 3 weeks later...
Unless they enforce access to Anytime dining, the new system may fail. Until enforced the negative is thrust on open seating guests. If they don't restrict access to open seating, some passengers will grudgingly take an early bird dining slot, miss their time (in port, running late, big lunch, lost track of time, yada, yada, yada), then stand in line with open seating. More bodies in open seating line with fewer seats for open seating. If access to open seating is enforced, early bird diners will be motivated to show up on time or enjoy buffet, room service, or specialty restaurants.

I don't see this as a problem AT ALL and beg to differ. Let's suppose they have decided to allocate 20% of each AT dining room for the 5:30pm Traditional diners.

Okay, so let's suppose 1/2 those diners were yada, yada'ing and were no shows and appear later for AT dining.

All the MD has to do is seat guests in the 80% areas of the dining room and then fill in the Traditional area as needed. After all since it is Traditional by definition and there are no shows, the MD knows he has open unused tables by 5:45pm. And we all know that AT rooms are far from full even by 6:00pm.

I think this can work just fine and I don't see any disruption for AT diners (of which you can count us in that group). I can also add even though we are classified as "anytime", there is not much emphasis on the ANY part of that word since we normally show up at the DR door within 5 - 10 minutes of the same time each night. On the last cruise we sat within that same group of tables almost every night.

I don't see this as a problem AT ALL and beg to differ. Let's suppose they have decided to allocate 20% of each AT dining room for the 5:30pm Traditional diners.

Okay, so let's suppose 1/2 those diners were yada, yada'ing and were no shows and appear later for AT dining.

All the MD has to do is seat guests in the 80% areas of the dining room and then fill in the Traditional area as needed. After all since it is Traditional by definition and there are no shows, the MD knows he has open unused tables by 5:45pm. And we all know that AT rooms are far from full even by 6:00pm.

I think this can work just fine and I don't see any disruption for AT diners (of which you can count us in that group). I can also add even though we are classified as "anytime", there is not much emphasis on the ANY part of that word since we normally show up at the DR door within 5 - 10 minutes of the same time each night. On the last cruise we sat within that same group of tables almost every night.

You are assuming that a table is empty. What happens if half of the table shows up? You can't come along 1/2 hour later and add another four AT people. The wait staff will not know which way to turn.

A table has to be all traditional or all AT, it cannot be half and half. If an entire traditional table is empty, then fine. But if only half the table is empty, you cannot fill the missing slots with AT diners.

This doesn't work. First, the Maitre d' has to keep the tables available in case those assigned to the table are late. Some people come late every single night, sometimes very late. Second, the people not coming to the table must specifically release it. The Maitre d' can't seat people at a TD table without their permission. While Princess is lax about some things, they are adamant about this.

Just returned a few days ago. We were on the Sapphire and our 5:30 traditional was in the International DR. Don't know if seating is different just for 5:15-5:30 but we were seated to the right and back of the room. We were a family of six. We got there late twice, once at 5:45 and another time at 6:00. We also noticed that some other tables of families got in late once or twice as well. We all pretty much finished dinner around 7:30.

Also, once my sister/hubby were a bit late, our waiter asked if we wanted to start "now or wait" for the other two. We choose to wait about 20 minutes, no problem. :)

You are assuming that a table is empty. What happens if half of the table shows up? You can't come along 1/2 hour later and add another four AT people. The wait staff will not know which way to turn.

A table has to be all traditional or all AT, it cannot be half and half. If an entire traditional table is empty, then fine. But if only half the table is empty, you cannot fill the missing slots with AT diners.

you make assumptions based on what? I was recently on Sapphire Princess, seated in anytime dining, we were joined by another couple at least 1/2 hour after we were seated..the staff did an exceptional job keeping track of everyones dishes, as they always do..

you make assumptions based on what? I was recently on Sapphire Princess, seated in anytime dining, we were joined by another couple at least 1/2 hour after we were seated..the staff did an exceptional job keeping track of everyones dishes, as they always do..

That is the way AT is set up. Traditional dining is not set up that way.

Archived