Bicycle on cruise ship?

STLPilot

• 3 years later...

I've taken a bicycle on two Holland America cruises to Alaska, one in 2012 and one in 2013. Both times, I confirmed with the cruise line in advance that they would allow me to bring my bicycle. HAL requires that you keep the bike in your cabin, so you may be maneuvering around it or bumping into it, but if you're willing to put up with that, having your own bike is a great addition to a cruise. The bicycle solves the problem of being without independent transportation in the port towns. The excursions are expensive, and they give me the feeling that I'm being shipped around like cattle. I believe there's no better way to get the true feel of a place than by exploring it on your own on a bike. Find a bike shop in town and ask them to recommend a local ride. In my experience, they'll be friendly and helpful. They're generally happy to see someone from a cruise ship taking a more active, independent approach. I do have a bike specially suited for this sort of thing--it's a folding bike with 20" wheels (Bike Friday), and it packs into a large suitcase for shipment. The folding bike also fits better in the cabin, as it's a bit smaller than a regular bike. Although I believe HAL also allows full-size bikes, I haven't seen anyone else on a cruise (and I've been on about 5 cruises in total) with their own bicycle.

Thanks for the info. Wish there was a master list because I know some cruise lines don't allow and rules change quickly. But thanks again ... will be looking at Holland Cruises next.

I also have a bike Friday with travel trailer and take it all over the world, usually by airplane and now wanting to take it by sea. No better way to get around port towns for sure. I've rented bikes and scooters before ... but having your own ... much better.

793781_10151446876409587_470282995_o.jpg.e974cfde8dff44e8dc9f0cfd99449177.jpg

Never ever seen a bicycle on any cruise I have been on. Since you say it is against their policy, but allow it, then I gather they will not put this in writing. You are taking your chances.

Good Luck.

Hope you are not planning to do self debarkation. lol

Your cruise line will best be able to tell you what "sporting goods" are allowed. Golf clubs are usually okay (I took mine to Hawaii), some scuba gear might work as well. Beyond that it's a crap shoot. Check with your line...

Some scuba gear? Everything is allowed except tanks and most divers don't travel with their own tanks.

t_car said something about bicycles onboard being against the cruise line's policy. I didn't say that, though perhaps someone else did. Holland America told me on two separate occasions (on the phone; I didn't ask for it in writing) that it is their policy to allow bicycles, though they require the passenger to keep the bicycle in their cabin.

Sure, here's a pic of my last cruise, this is just some of the liquor, wine didn't stay round long enough to get photo op. I make lots of friends on these boats, ain't hard when your pouring for free!

Something tells me that even with free alcohol, it still wouldn't be worth it. :D

D.

Karysha, I've got more smoke blown from cruise lines than I have on these boards. There are methods of getting things done, but those come from trial and error. Even if I have to make up some kind of story as to why I would require my bike on board, I would want to hear from someone with experience. There are ways around almost all ship policies, that's what I'm hoping for.

my gawd could you BE more self absorbed/self entitled and arrogant?!

what the hell makes you so damn special that you feel that you are beneath above following the recommendations of everyone here on CC whom you seem to hold in such high regard?

if you think the lines are so stupid then whyt are you sailing in the first place?

why are you above policy and should be granted an exception?

you will not find the average CC poster to have ever wanted to bring a bike, let alone try to do so. and CC is a very small number of total cruisers anyway. so badgering the board for affirmation is useless.

and bedsides just because somebody says they did 2 years ago sailing on Celebrity out of Orlando was able to do it does not mean YOU will be allowed to do it in two months on NCL./

Of course I cannot speak for everyone, but I saw that the first part of this thread was from 2010.

I think it's pretty funny that the OP got so worked up when people here on CC didn't respond in the exact way he wanted.

So much time spent worrying how to smuggle alcohol and carry on a bicycle, Instead of just enjoying a cruise.

I've taken a bicycle on two Holland America cruises to Alaska, one in 2012 and one in 2013. Both times, I confirmed with the cruise line in advance that they would allow me to bring my bicycle. HAL requires that you keep the bike in your cabin, so you may be maneuvering around it or bumping into it, but if you're willing to put up with that, having your own bike is a great addition to a cruise. The bicycle solves the problem of being without independent transportation in the port towns. The excursions are expensive, and they give me the feeling that I'm being shipped around like cattle. I believe there's no better way to get the true feel of a place than by exploring it on your own on a bike. Find a bike shop in town and ask them to recommend a local ride. In my experience, they'll be friendly and helpful. They're generally happy to see someone from a cruise ship taking a more active, independent approach. I do have a bike specially suited for this sort of thing--it's a folding bike with 20" wheels (Bike Friday), and it packs into a large suitcase for shipment. The folding bike also fits better in the cabin, as it's a bit smaller than a regular bike. Although I believe HAL also allows full-size bikes, I haven't seen anyone else on a cruise (and I've been on about 5 cruises in total) with their own bicycle.

HAL ships sometimes have supply of bikes crew can borrow to use in ports when they have time off. I think that a terrific idea and hope all the ships have a supply of bikes for the crew to enjoy.

OP...... good luck. I hope you get to bring your bike and have some great rides around Bermuda. I would suggest you ask which ever rep at NCL gives you approval to please send you a confirmatory e-mail. Get it in writing and you are more apt to have an easier time at the dock when you try to get aboard with your bike.

I did see a gentleman who had his bike on a cruise, but I don't remember much about it. I just saw him in line getting back on the ship. It was either RCI or Princess, and just a vague memory. For all I know, he may have been a crew member. Sorry for lack of detail, but just saying, it apparently can be done.

OP...... good luck. I hope you get to bring your bike and have some great rides around Bermuda. I would suggest you ask which ever rep at NCL gives you approval to please send you a confirmatory e-mail. Get it in writing and you are more apt to have an easier time at the dock when you try to get aboard with your bike.

Even though he came back to post three years later, he didn't say whether or not he took his bike.:D

BTW, a friend did take his bike to Bermuda on NCL and did not need to carry anything in writing.

One problem you may run into is the person who's running the show in the cruise terminal. For some lackey on the phone to tell you it's OK is one thing, but as we all know, those phone people tend to not know "jack" when answering questions, and you can call 10 different times and get different answers.

So, take the bike and if you happen to come across a cranky person in the terminal who won't let you take a bike on board, then you just walk home.

That is why I suggested OP ask for an e-mail confirming he has been told he can bring his bike. I'd much rather have that than not but, of course, it still would be no guarantee the bike would be allowed by the gatekeepers in the terminal.

I did not notice the date but the subject is still pertinent.

More people than ever seem to be riding their bikes :) and it seems perfectly reasonable to me it's still a good question to ask and discuss here.

Oh heaven, someone dug up a thread that was three years old. I hardly doubt the OP is coming back here to read responses for something that happened three years ago.

Actually the OP did return to this resurrected thread and posted.

I am jealous you are taking your bike. Not sure I would want the hassle of carting a bike

on and off a ship. But it sure would be a nice way to see the view around the islands. You can check out all the nook and crannies that most of us will never see.

Rocketlady makes a couple points or observations.

Yes, there is a hassle. I'm serious about cycling, and I seriously dislike being without independence, mobility and reasonably priced transportation in port towns. So I put up with the hassle because, for me, the alternative is worse.

But Rocketlady also mentioned that she might be a bit jealous of someone who has a bike on a cruise. I have gotten lots of looks and comments as I wheeled my bike on and off at the port stops. All the looks and comments have been positive, and mostly things like "what a great idea" or "you've got it figured out", or even "are you a guide?", things like that. As you might expect, the bike attracts a lot of attention because it's so rare to see a passenger getting on or off with one on a cruise.

In my case, the bike packs in a suitcase for travel, so when I embark and disembark at the beginning and end of the cruise, no one (except the person x-raying the suitcase) knows there's a bike inside. (The suitcase also reduces the hassle factor at both ends of the cruise as well.) So my experience, and lack of any difficulties so far, might not be totally relevant compared to a full-size bike. But I also haven't had any trouble getting on or off in the port towns along the way, when the bike is fully visible and rolling along on its wheels, and I've even gotten off and back on the ship with no problem in ports served by tenders.

I'm writing here because I want to share with others the idea of taking a bicycle on cruises. It has worked well for me so far, and I intend to continue the practice for as long as it's allowed. But I'm also aware that if too many people do it, the cruise lines might decide that it's too much hassle for them. (My God, what would happen if everyone did it??!! But I don't think that's really a risk.) So I'm hoping for some success, but not too much, in encouraging others to take a bicycle along on their next cruise.

Archived