How are table mates selected?

Ken1359

I've often wondered if there is any particular method used to assign cruisers to their respective traditional dining tables. Sometimes I've been placed at a table composely solely with people from the same general cabin level. Other times age seemed to be a factor. Perhaps this was just happenstance, but I'm curious. Maybe partners are just picked out of a hat?

i've never seen a pattern. i cruise solo alot. sometimes i've been with other solo travelers, sometimes not. sometimes much older, sometimes not. some suite people some steerage.

the only thing i can say for sure is when i've cruised on costa (which attracts mainly europeans and asians), everyone has spoken english even when english speakers are a minority on that line.

Since I had posted a similar question several months ago I paid attention to this on our Eurodam Med cruise last month. We were seated at an 8-top for Late Fixed (the one a few steps down in the middle of Upper Dining Room). 6 of us were Deluxe Suite. The other couple was linked to the booking for one of the SA's but they themselves were not in an SA. So I would have to say for that cruise all the table was from the same stateroom category. N=1.

Dennis

On our first HAL cruise, we were assigned dining with a guy (non-custodial parent) and his three pre- and pubescent children. The whole party was so rude and behaved so ignorantly, that we changed seating immediately after we finished dinner. It isn't that we hate kids (in fact my husband likes to say that he likes kids, he just can't eat a whole one:D), these were just out of control, as was the father.

Since then we have been seated with people similar in age and in similar cabin categories. I was told forever ago by one of the ship staff that they do try to seat together guests in similar digs.

On our first Noordam cruise we were in a VA cabin on deck 7. There was a mix of people from SA and Va cabins at our table of 8. All cabins were close to each other. On the next cruise there was also a mix of VA and Suite guests. When we recently sailed on the Noordam we took our 6 year old granddaughter with us. We were in an SA and were seated at a table with a family with two children almost the same age that were staying in a VF cabin. There was only about 10 children on the cruise. I think HAL tries to make up tables so that people have something in common if they can.

Thank you for the info. I frequently travel with my mom and sister. We seem to be matched with another group of 3 people. When I travel with my husband, we are matched with other couples about our same age. It is nice to know the cruise lines spend time matching up dinner partners with some things in common.

Good Question!!

We have often wondered about this as well. Only once were we seated with another couple from an SA which we book. Other times we were seated with whatever -- ages were not the same -- interests were not the same -- never figured out how the seating arrangements were arranged. The last couple of times were so bad that -- man slept through dinner every night (his wife ignored him) -- another time the couple complained about how much we get for the American dollar as compared to the Canadian dollar every night at dinner. That's when we decided to just ask for a table for 2.

I was told forever ago by one of the ship staff that they do try to seat together guests in similar digs.
Oh, I REALLY hope this isn't the case anymore. The best table I've ever had was made of of passengers of different ages (20s to well past retirement) and in cabins that ranged from the least expensive inside to full suites. Some were married couples, some not ;). Some (like my neighbor and I) were cruising without our DHs. We enjoyed the differences and it was GREAT!

....... When I travel with my husband, we are matched with other couples about our same age. It is nice to know the cruise lines spend time matching up dinner partners with someea things in common.

We usually travel with others, but not always. On the Rotterdam we were put with 2 other Suite couples near the same age and with common interests. Great table. The funniest table we ever had, however, was one where we all were completely mismatched in every way possible. I can only describe everyone honestly, so take no offense please. DH and I in our 60s from Atlanta, a single girl in her 20s from NYC with a Jewish star the size of an Olympic gold medal who announced as we sat down the first night that she was a New Yawker who took 'no crap off anyone' and didn't like people from the south. A couple in their 80s from Miami -she wearing a gold cross rivaling the Jewish star in size. She prayed aloud before each dinner and was obviously an evangelical Christian from all she said. Her DH never spoke one word the entire week (it was an obvious medical problem but we never learned what). Rounding out our merry band was a single man from Michigan and a gay couple from Toronto who worked in the theater (one in the last stages of Aids unfortunately). Did we have fun? After the initial shock when we all realized we had nothing in common and that this table would not work, we never stopped laughing the entire week and had a ball.

Two cruises ago I had to insist I be assigned the late fixed seating I was confirmed for. By then there were only two places to put me. There was a large table of couples (I wanted a large table), and a 4-top of singles. The Maitre d's representative was extremely reluctant to seat me with the couples---declaring that I wouldn't like it.

I wondered silently if there had been negative feedback from wives when single women were mixed in with them.

The only odd table we have had was when My wife & I were placed at a table for 10 with 8 other women -- the 8 women where all with Non-profit companies and had never met nor part of a group on the cruise.

We changed the next night to a table with some CC we had met at the M&G meeting.

Ray

Since then we have been seated with people similar in age and in similar cabin categories. I was told forever ago by one of the ship staff that they do try to seat together guests in similar digs.

53 cruises on HAL and only once were we seated with people in "similar digs".

Once we were on a table of 6. We and two other couples all started with the same initial. We were with the 2nd letter one away from them. They both had the same last name and had never met before and didn't live in the same part of the US.

I've often wondered if there is any particular method used to assign cruisers to their respective traditional dining tables. Sometimes I've been placed at a table composely solely with people from the same general cabin level. Other times age seemed to be a factor. Perhaps this was just happenstance, but I'm curious. Maybe partners are just picked out of a hat?

Whatever the method of assigning tables, it has worked really well for us in four HAL cruises with traditional dining. In fact, on the last night of our last HAL cruise, as our table of ten was exchanging addresses and phone numbers, the dining room staff were amazed because they thought we were all long-time friends by the way we all got along so well. In fact, we had never met before the cruise.

This is an interesting topic! I didn't think there was any thought that went with assignments. I thought it was completely random. Our first cruise in Jan of 09 my wife and I were honeymooning in a Eurodam Penthouse and had late fixed table of 6. We, both 30yrs old at the time, were seated with three single ladies from the same apartment complex aged between 89 and 96. They all had a very hard time hearing and fought/complained about each other each time we ate with them. We ate at the Pinnacle a lot that week. This past February we just took a table for four with our travel buddies. Coming up in September we've got a table for 8 and we've filled six seats...wonder who will fill the last two???

In all my years of cruising , I've have never seen any pattern with table assigments. It appears to be very random like working a jigsaw puzzle.

The Head Dining Room Matre'd first makes certain people are fairly distributed amoung all tables in attempt of fairness to the waiters and asst. waiters. The only thing I've been told is they try to take into consideration if you requested a large or small table. But even that always doesn't come true. The only thing for certain, unless you're travleing with a large group of people that all wish to sit together, you'll be sitting with strangers. It's up to you to make the most of it. Never really had a bad table. Some are more quiet than others but that's OK.

To me it would make sense to seat groups of 10, 8, 6, 4 first, then those requesting a table for two. Those requesting a large table next and perhaps a random seating of the remaining passengers. In our 21 cruise experience, we've never observed a pattern. We've had a great tablemates on all but 2 cruises and only requested a move once when my wife and I were seated at a table for 4 with 2 senior men, one of whom was so obnoxious that the maitre d'

said every waiter and officer on the ship was familiar with the "gentleman". Subsequently we were assigned to a table for 8 with two delightful older couples, and a gracious widow. We were joined each evening by the on board cruise consultant and complimentary wine.

On our last cruise of 14 days we had our requested late seating. We joined 3 other couples at a table for 8. The 3 couples were all travelling independently and all were waitlisted for early seating. One couple left the second night. It appeared that we might find ourselves dining alone at this big table. On the third night, another couple informed us that they had been cleared for early seating, but, fortunately, we all bonded and stayed together. We always look forward to that first night and meeting our tablemates. It's one of the joys of cruising.

Once we were seated with 2 couples who had booked with the same TA. However, they were from another state. On another cruise, we also sat with a couple who had the same TA.

I don't think there is any rhyme nor reason nowadays. On our last "fixed late seating", we sat with 2 elderly widows, an older single man,and 2 women from England. We didn't go to dinner the first night, where there was a couple who decided they didn't like the table make up and didn't come back!!

On another cruise, we sat with 2 sisters and their husbands. I got along well with one of the sisters and we had a lot to talk about. Her sister got so angry and jealous---they are still not speaking to this day, 5 years later!!

There is NO way I will ever have fixed seating again!!

Yikes! 5 years is a long time not to speak to your sister!

We have had good luck with tables assignments in the past, but this cruise we are trying open seating. I just don't want to be tied to a schedule! I will let you know how this works for me AND my OCD!:D:eek:

In 25 cruises we've always gone with a big table; usually at least 6, preferably 8 and sometimes 10. In all the years we've met the NICEST people and enjoyed the company of strangers who became friends! That's what cruising is all about for us!

Anne

On our first HAL cruise in 1987 on the old Noordam we were seated at a table for eight in the MDR. The other six passengers at the table were from Holland and never spoke to us and never spoke English at the table. We requested and were seated at another table for the rest of the cruise.

For the next 23 years & 27 cruises on HAL will never have had a problem with any of our table mates. The only one that my wife was concerned with was a 103 year old lady from Toronto who was self sufficient, had her own apartment and did her own cooking. My wife was afraid that she was making advances too me since she knew I liked older women and I believe I was 65 at the time :D !

53 cruises on HAL and only once were we seated with people in "similar digs".

While we have not had near as many cruises as you fortunate folks, I agree completely. Because my DW prefers larger cabins, we always book a deluxe suite and very rarely have we sat at a table for six (we always request a 6-top) that had another suite person/people. It seems very random to me which is just fine as we love to meet and spend time with people who are just plain genuine ... regardless of religion, race, sex orientation etc ... it generally makes for a more interesting group. We have only had one bad experience in twenty plus cruises.

harry

On our first cruise, we were seated at a table for six with two other couples about our age, one from Burlington, Ontario (which is virtually joined to our town) and one from Texas. We were all on our first cruise and all in verandah cabins. It was an excellent grouping...it certainly didn't seem random.

Archived