laundry on board Ruby Princess

lrcruising

All Princess ships offer a self service laundry room/rooms. The cost varys depending on the ship but runs between $1-$1.50 to wash and the same to dry. There is laundry detergent for purchase at $1 box, but many pack the new purex sheets (they take up absolutely no room in your luggage) which are laundry detergent and dryer sheet combined. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I was aboard the Ruby Princess in October/November, 2009, and I used a washer, a dryer, and an iron (and board). They were all together in a nice little room, and they worked very well. The room had two washers, two dryers, and a change machine. I think that they had product dispensers too, but I didn't use them, since I had brought my own products from home.

The answers above are correct for the Ruby. I cannot recall if the cost was $1/$1.25/$1.50 per machine.

Have a very nice time!

Just spent 10 days on the Ruby and yes, the laundry rooms do have change machines and dispensers for detergent/fabric softener. The machines were $1.50 each and worked quite well (meaning that one dryer cycle did the job). There were actually 4 washers and 4 dryers on the Caribe deck but 1 washer was out of service. I pack my own detergent - Tide makes the single use packets and the dryer sheets keep our luggage smelling nice so its no biggie for me to pack them. The laundry room also had 2 ironing boards and some chairs to sit in.

Hope this helps!!

yup, agree with what everyone above said. Some laundry rooms have 2 of each machine and some have 4. They are staggered fore and aft deck by deck, so the nearest room to your cabin may be on the deck above or below you, rather than on your deck. They are indicated on all ship's maps, including the little paper one they hand you when you check in, so you should have no trouble finding one conveniently located.

And they do get a bit crowded at peak times, especially on sea days. We found that, because we prefer late dining, there are usually machines available during early dinner seating; early morning and late night are also good, if that's convenient for you.

People are pretty considerate, but it is recommended that, if you're not going to stay with the machines during the entire cycle (and I don' - those rooms get very hot and stuffy) that you check back well before the machines are scheduled to go off (I believe they post the run-times above the machines) both as a courtesy to the other passengers who will be waiting for machines, and because we've often found our clothes are dry well before the cycle ends, and it helps prevent them from getting over-dried.

Hope that helps. Happy cruising.

Are there coin operated washers/dryers on board or do you have to have your clothes done by the ship staff? What are the costs? Is soap/softener available to purchase?

We always bring a roll of quarters for the machines as sometimes it is hard to get change.

We always bring a roll of quarters for the machines as sometimes it is hard to get change.

Another good tip. We usually bring quarters, as well, as the change machines in the laundry rooms are occasionally out of order (or out of quarters.) On the other hand, you can always get quarters from there Passenger Services Desk. Early in the cruise this usually isn't a problem, but as the cruise is winding down those lines can get long.

Wow! Still MORE good comments have been added since my first one. They triggered another laundry-related memory from my trip on the Ruby ... The washer was incredibly quiet at first -- and, unbeknownst to me, it performed its water-filling FROM BELOW. I thought that it was out of order, so I phoned for help. [i think that there is a phone in the laundry room.] A few minutes later, I had to phone again to cancel the service call, because the agitation of the laundry suddenly began to take place.

You've gotten good info here. I second the recommendations to bring your own quarters and use the Purex sheets. I went early in the morning on a sea day and found washers and dryers free. I brought a book and sat there so I'd be ready when things stopped. I was rewarded with entertainment as people came in looking for washers and walking out only to come back later and find them taken again by someone who'd come by after them. What can I say? I'm easily amused.:rolleyes:

You're right, it can be quite entertaining and you can meet some lovely people in the laundry room. On our last cruise toward the end I went in during early dinner seating to do one last load and iron some shirts that I'd done earlier. I met a lovely couple from the UK, a very interesting woman from Australia, and a fun couple from Ohio -- all of us doing the exact same things. We had quite an entertaining chat. :D

• 11 months later...

What are the hours of the laundry rooms on the Ruby? I'm about to be on a 12-night cruise and will definitely need to use the laundry room because I can't pack for that many days.

Are they 24 hour? I hope so -- I don't mind doing my wash at 2:00am if I have to! :)

The laundry rooms close at 9 or 10pm, because usually there are cabins either nearby or next door. I know this for a fact because I had one of those rooms on our cruise. ;) They open at 7 or 8am, so no, they're not 24 hour. I found a good time to do laundry on the 12 night Grand Med cruise was immediately after boarding in Venice, when most were ashore for the overnight.

On the last 2 westbound TA's I don't think the laundry room closed. We were in a Baja balcony across from the laundry room, and it seemed to be open any time we walked by. DH is a very early riser, and he would start a load before he went down for his coffee, and he never had a problem getting in around 6 a.m. It probably varies by deck; you could probably ask a steward in the area if it's locked.

The machines are $1.50 a load and the machines are 'normal', not HE. I did purchase supplies from the machine, but next time I'm getting some of those Purex sheets I keep hearing so much about on these boards :)

On our last cruise on the Ruby, I did our laundry right after our morning excursion so the ship was still in port and alot of people were still out and about. My DH was taking a nap, so I grabbed a book and stopped at the bar for a drink and read in the laundry room, it wasn't too uncomfortable. By the time I was done, it was really busy so I was glad that I didn't wait.

Thanks for the feedback on the washing machines. I recently discovered "Single Dose Laundy Drop-Ins", which are small laundry detergent packs that are similar to the detergent packs that you put in a dishwasher. They seem to be for HE machines only.

I did google those Purex sheets that everybody is talking about. Amazing that a sheet could have enough detergent for a wash AND also work as a dryer sheet. It says it works for both HE and regular machines, too. Who comes up with these things?!

http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/purex-complete-3-in-1

• 1 month later...

So everyone is saying that it is coin laundry. Does anyone know if the machines take both Canadian and American coins? Depending on the type of machine, (ie. pop or candy) they often only take one currency. Seems strange, but it has happened before. I don't want to get stuck if they don't take canadian coins. I will have to scrounge for some american coins if that is the case.

So everyone is saying that it is coin laundry. Does anyone know if the machines take both Canadian and American coins? Depending on the type of machine, (ie. pop or candy) they often only take one currency. Seems strange, but it has happened before. I don't want to get stuck if they don't take canadian coins. I will have to scrounge for some american coins if that is the case.

Being from the US we've always used US coins....but, you won't be left to scrounge for US coins....just go to the purser's desk and get a roll of coins.

Although, you might first inquire at the purser's desk so you don't lose your coins in the machine without it working. But maybe someone else from Canada can give you confirmation.

Just off the Ruby - it was $2.00 for the washing machine and $2.00 for the dryer. I imagine that it is only US currency - however I did get a "Princess" quarter from the change machine. I should have kept it for the scrapbook.

Archived