New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

Im not having a hissy fit, just stating my opinion, and the intention that I have had for some time now, to try a different line. Just saying that this new move of Carnival, re 1a's, is just one more reason for me to try a different line. I wont stop cruising, and I will pay whatever it takes. But I am quickly losing my "affection" for Carnival. JMHO.:)

I spoke to the Carnival booking desk yesterday and my personal TA and both have confirmed the new policy takes effect tomorrow, June 7th. I finally got booked this morning at 8 AM for Fantasy out of Charleston, Nov 15th at the 150% rate for a 1-A.

DON'T PROCRASTINATE!

Just the facts please. Where did you read this? Who (names please) told you this? The person I talked with at Carnival says they haven't heard of it.

Don, I'm not sure this is true yet.;)

Not saying it isn't true, just saying it hasn't been substantiated to my satisfaction yet.

Nobody owes anyone facts and names upon any demands. This is a forums board, not a corporate office. Anyway, you're not going to get some broadcast statement from Carnival, you're just going to try to book after this week and find the higher rates. The greatest evidance that this is true (and you may be correct, it may be a great hoax that all Carnival PVP are telling all us us recent bookers on the phone) is that several of us, including me were told this one the phone in the last couple days as we were booking solo 1A rooms. I was sceptical but am fully convinced now. Carnival told me it is true.

Well, after hitting the website and searching for 1A's for Spring Break next year, I stumbled upon the elusive and semi coveted cabin #2445 on the Triumph. I've tried to get this cabin type (L shaped cabin with two big picture windows) in the past, but it has always been snapped up. I was at the point of filling out my booking info online when the stupid website went south...:mad:. Called Carnival only to find they were updating the system and it would be down for 3 hours.

Dang nab it... Set the alarm, went to bed, got back up, started over again and my cabin was no longer available at the past guest rate. WHAT!?!? So, called Carnival again. Nope...not available. Oh, the cabin was there..just not at the past guest rate. Dang it...I wanted that cabin! So, I coughed up $30 more bucks in order to get the cabin I wanted. Still at $150% just a different rate. Still way cheaper than I have ever sailed!

As I was on the phone with Carnival twice tonight...in the middle of the night, they did tell me both times that as of June 7th all 1A's would be priced at 200%. That is now 3 times I've been told by Carnival reps that the rate is going up for 1A's...

My exact experience yesterday, both the %200 and the $30 thing and the web freeze. Read post #104.

Just a thought. I wonder how long it will be before they start charging full fare for 3rd and 4th pax in a cabin. How far will they go?

We already know of two changes that are happening on Monday. Anybody who is pretty sure they are going to book a cruise soon, better do it now. I bet there are many changes other in store after this week. Just my guess.

Guess I'll have to hurry and book my 2 cruises for 2011 today.

Unless they change their policy 2012 will be up for grabs (other lines....best price/itinerary wins)...and might be NCL Epic since they have the Studio which has NO UPCHARGE for single...price the cabin is = what you pay (just not really happy with that itinerary).

Guess its time to buy RCCL stock too.

That stinks, but now more than ever it's important to realize the solo supplements are always fluid, based on capacity, etc. I'll still go by the total cruise price, and not by the percentage of the supplement. If the total isn't where I expect it to be (on any line) I'll stay home.

It's a shame, because Carnival does so many other things right, especially for solo cruisers.

Nothing special about CCL. I got 130% recently on Celebrity. Vote with your pocketbook.

Congratulations on that deal! I have not been so fortuneate with deals on Celebrity, but will have to look into it again. I had one very wonderful cruise on Celebrity 8 years ago.:)

Haven't been on the boards much lately and to come back and see this? Well, it just bites.

Though I've never done it, I have looked into sailing solo. I know I won't always be able to find someone who wants to go or has the finances to. Bottom line for me is I just won't sail Carnival. I'm not going to pay double occupancy on those 1A cabins and it's doubtful I would want to pay the rates of other categories for their same old (boring) itineraries. If I have to pay a double occupancy rate, I would rather sail on another line and visit new ports.

What other lines that are comproble to CCL have the less than 200% occ. rate for solo cruisers. Although my mother doesn't sail solo, she takes many trips with my family, gets her own cabin on cruisers and pays 200% on RCCL. Same with my sil.

I am a family of 4 and my dh and I like to have our own cabin too, thus putting the teens in an inside (some RCCL have insides connecting to balconies) or across the hall.

IF I put one of the kids with my dm, then we would have 3 in our cabin and in all reality, my dm likes her own space too.

My sil also cruises with us sometimes and same thing.

I would be interested in hearing about other lines since we mostly cruise RCCL but trying Carnival Dream this year due to the price compared with RCCL for my dd's Sweet 16 with her friends and my family.

Thanks so much!

Well, if anyone wants proof, just try booking a 1A on carnival's website. Tried booking both the Freedom and Fascination for 2011 and both came in under the 200%. Originally, the Freedom was $900+ for the single occupancy rate when I looked at it a couple of weeks ago, now it is almost $1400.

The one thing that annoys me is unlike other lines, most of Carnival's 1a's have one bed, the other lines have 2 lower beds, thus I can see more of the justification for charging 200%. This now makes the playing field even. Lots of times, I chose Carnival because they had great 1A rates, but will look at other lines now.

Nothing special about CCL. I got 130% recently on Celebrity. Vote with your pocketbook.

Wow! That is wonderful. I didn't know Celebrity had a solo rate.

We are looking into a Med. cruise for my family and both my mother and possibly sil will be coming. Although they do like each other, I know both would prefer their own cabin.

Didn't know they had solo rates, usually sail RCCL although giving CCL a try in August.

Thanks.

Well, if anyone wants proof, just try booking a 1A on carnival's website. Tried booking both the Freedom and Fascination for 2011 and both came in under the 200%. Originally, the Freedom was $900+ for the single occupancy rate when I looked at it a couple of weeks ago, now it is almost $1400.

The one thing that annoys me is unlike other lines, most of Carnival's 1a's have one bed, the other lines have 2 lower beds, thus I can see more of the justification for charging 200%. This now makes the playing field even. Lots of times, I chose Carnival because they had great 1A rates, but will look at other lines now.

I apologize. Those rates were 4A categories and caught it when I went back on the website. The 1A's are stilll at 150%. Sorry, my error.

I apologize. Those rates were 4A categories and caught it when I went back on the website. The 1A's are stilll at 150%. Sorry, my error.

So its 163 posts about NOTHING??? :eek::eek: You must be so proud!!!:rolleyes:

So its 163 posts about NOTHING??? :eek::eek: You must be so proud!!!:rolleyes:

Well, the new policy is to go into effect tomorrow. That will be the determining factor as to whether this will become a new policy.

I did apologize for my mistake and found you post to be rude.

Dan. As I posted, the policy change was confirmed to me by the Carnival booking desk and by my personal TA yesterday. Have you checked rates for a 1A today versus a 1A booked at a fare quote a week from now? The Carnival reservations desk phone number is 1-800 764-7315. Glad my booking was completed at 8AM today.

Well, the new policy is to go into effect tomorrow. That will be the determining factor as to whether this will become a new policy.

I did apologize for my mistake and found you post to be rude.

You didn't make a mistake on that!

Speaking for myself, and this is only my opinion re cabin mates; I have close family members that I dont like to share a cabin with, and never in my wildest dreams would I agree to share one with a stranger! So this solo cruiser will never be searching for a cabin mate! ( At least not in forums like this ) JMHO.:p

I never implied that any particular poster was having a hissy fit. Just that I didn't plan on having one myself!.

I'm not brand loyal. The only reason I've stuck with Carnival is because their ships got me to the ports I wanted to see at the best rates.

I've been paying for two people for nearly 10 years now - me & DD. Now that she's not cruising with me, I'm sailing solo.

In the end, it's about the TOTAL price for the cabin, since I've been paying the TOTAL price for the cabin, anyway!

If & when I can get someone to cruise with me, then it will truly feel like a bargain, because - for once - I'll only be paying for one.

I always, always, always check ALL the mass market lines when I'm planning on booking. I'll continue to do that.

I'm Platinum, but the perks are negligible. I'm certainly not going to only cruise Carnival just so I can get a pretty, silvery S&S card and some petit fours!

I still don't see that it's a horrible move by Carnival.

Just wish people would try to see things objectively. That's all. They aren't a non-profit organization.

Rather see this than them raise the rates across the board.

If people want to bolt to NCL's Epic and only pay 100% (and the ones I looked at were NOT cheap) for a 100 sq ft cabin, then go right ahead. You show those Carnival bean counters! :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd have a look - Epic 12/4, 7 night Eastern Caribbean (Miami, St Maarten, St Thomas, Nassau), $899 + tax = $1,003. That's the price for ONE PERSON in a 100 sq ft cabin.

Sorry. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me!

You could sail on Glory on 12/5 in a 4A (185 sq ft!) to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk for $926 ES, $1,142 Select, taxes included. Yes, that's the price for two, so if this report is correct, it would also be the price for one as of tomorrow. Actually, it will be even less because there will only be 1 port fee/taxes, right?

Just saying.

I became a solo cruiser about 4-1/2 years ago and never thought I'd even consider sharing a cabin with anyone else, but I've been on about five Saints and Sinners group cruises and have become comfortable enough with the other group members to where I've shared a cabin on three cruises and shared a hotel room/bed four or five times. All with women.... (my previous 10 cruises had all been with a woman ... my ex.... so I am very comfortable around women... :D ) I haven't cruised with another guy, but wouldn't rule that out, at this point, because the idea of having a balcony for less than what I would have paid for a 1-A (at the 150% or less rates) is very appealing.:)

I became a solo cruiser about 4-1/2 years ago and never thought I'd even consider sharing a cabin with anyone else' date=' but I've been on about five Saints and Sinners group cruises and have become comfortable enough with the other group members to where I've shared a cabin on three cruises and shared a hotel room/bed four or five times. All with women.... (my previous 10 cruises had all been with a woman ... my ex.... so I am very comfortable around women... :D ) I haven't cruised with another guy, but wouldn't rule that out, at this point, because the idea of having a balcony for less than what I would have paid for a 1-A (at the 150% or less rates) is very appealing.:)[/quote']

I am going the opposite direction. I always share a balcony cabin with my friend and travel buddy (a male) but I cannot take the burping, farting, and snoring any longer and thought that the 1A's were the answer. Not sure what I'll do now :confused:.

I am going the opposite direction. I always share a balcony cabin with my friend and travel buddy (a male) but I cannot take the burping, farting, and snoring any longer and thought that the 1A's were the answer. Not sure what I'll do now :confused:.

Might be he doesn't think you're a garden of roses either!:D:D:D:rolleyes:

If people want to bolt to NCL's Epic and only pay 100% (and the ones I looked at were NOT cheap) for a 100 sq ft cabin, then go right ahead. You show those Carnival bean counters! :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd have a look - Epic 12/4, 7 night Eastern Caribbean (Miami, St Maarten, St Thomas, Nassau), $899 + tax = $1,003. That's the price for ONE PERSON in a 100 sq ft cabin.

Sorry. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me!

You could sail on Glory on 12/5 in a 4A (185 sq ft!) to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk for $926 ES, $1,142 Select, taxes included. Yes, that's the price for two, so if this report is correct, it would also be the price for one as of tomorrow. Actually, it will be even less because there will only be 1 port fee/taxes, right?

Just saying.

Hard to compare a brand new ship to one that is 7 years old and draw an real conclusions. If you want to make a comparison, compare Dream to Epic and report back to us on your findings.

Archived