New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

I am NOT a solo cruiser, but as I understand it, the other lines do and have been charging 200% for many years now.

Doesn't take much of a Carnival accountant to say, "We are giving away 50% of a fare, and other lines are not!"

200% of $350.00 is still less than 200% of $450.00

The accountant is a butt-head.

CCL's solo pricing is what separated them from the pack and prompted solo cruises to book with CCL and look no further.

I don't cruise solo, so I am not sure on the details but isn't NCL's new ship (EPIC) boasting really cool cabins, specifically designed for solo cruisers?? I don't know if the price on them is cheap by any means, but I do know that if I'm going to pay 200%, I'd look into THAT before sailing solo on CCL now.

I am happy that more ships from other lines are coming to New Orleans full time. For a while now I have been getting the feeling that Carnival was no longer the "best bang for the buck". I have 2 more cruises currently booked with Carnival and then I am looking elsewhere to spend my cruising dollars.

RCL often has last minute bookings as low as 130% for solo's, just not on a always basis that you can count on. Some said lower than 130%, but thats just what Iv seen, especially on the tuesday sales.

You might want to check last minute sales, when voyager comes to New Orleans.

What I don't understand is that Cruiselines, especially Carnival, know that there are single cruisers out there and even people who might take their first cruise if they could do it as a single. Why don't they just build ships that have a portion of a deck with specifically designed singles cabins (not just insides either) for a 100% fare without extra charges?

It just seems line an undertapped market to me.

Halos,

Epic's solo cabins (with beds for 2 people) are only 100 sq. ft. :eek:. Don't know if I could spend a week in an inside cabin that small.

Roz

RCL often has last minute bookings as low as 130% for solo's, just not on a always basis that you can count on. Some said lower than 130%, but thats just what Iv seen, especially on the tuesday sales.

You might want to check last minute sales, when voyager comes to New Orleans.

Thanks fire, You can bet I will. At least it will give me a first hand insite into what all the bickering is about between Carnival and RCL fans.;)

And people laughed at me when I booked a solo 1A back in February for next year's October Med sailing on the Carnival Magic.

Froufie, is this an official written policy change (where do you see it?) or something you find out when you go to book?

If this is a policy change fleetwide, I may just end up booking a higher category since the main reason for booking the 1A is the price break.

Roz

No written policy that I am aware of (altho I understand if you now price a 1A cabin it will come up at the 200% fare?).

My firend got a call from our PVP and she told him about the increase and that if he wanted to book another cruise (he is a platinum cruise and cruises a few times a year - mostly solo) he would have to do so by midnight on Jun3 6th -otherwise the 200% rate would apply!!!

Would love to see if this has been put in writing somewhere and why this decision was made and with no advance notice either! :(

CCL's solo pricing is what separated them from the pack and prompted solo cruises to book with CCL and look no further.

I don't cruise solo, so I am not sure on the details but isn't NCL's new ship (EPIC) boasting really cool cabins, specifically designed for solo cruisers?? I don't know if the price on them is cheap by any means, but I do know that if I'm going to pay 200%, I'd look into THAT before sailing solo on CCL now.

NCL had the cabins you are talking about at no extra since they are only 100 sq ft. They have since changed this since too many greedy couples were booking two adjoining and having a larger cabin with two bathrooms, double closet space etc.

Isn't it some type of dorm room or something on NCL?

Well, this bites! I am a solo cruiser about 50% of the time. If I'm lucky enough to find someone who is able to cruise with me, hallelujah. Otherwise I sail solo, and have to book a 1A in order to afford to cruise because I can only sail during peak cruising times due to my job.

If this is indeed true, it eliminates any reason to put Carnival as my 1st choice for cruising. I've always gone to Carnival first to find the most competitive military rates and the most competitive solo rates.

This has been the basis for my loyalty thus far...hopefully Carnival corporate realizes what a mistake they are making...maybe time to try out the other lines...I've got stock in several...just haven't been tempted to book because the best solo rates have always been with Carnival.

Feeling a little bit like Julia Robert's character in Pretty Woman..."Big Mistake Carnival, Big Mistake".

Same sentiment here. Carnival has always been my choice because of the 135-150% rate (sometimes even lower). This pricing has always been the chief motivator for selecting Carnival.

But always being a strong promoter of the SUPPLY and DEMAND characteristics of Capitalism, I'm not all that worried. As these sometimes tiny cabins can't be filled with couples (DEMAND), the price will drop to avoid cruising with these empty cabins (SUPPLY). That 200% price may actually be lower than a higher 150% price.

RCI's MARINER (leaving the west coast for good in January) is now offering me solo rates for less than the SPLENDOR did in September. Previously, this was unheard of, but S&D has taken over at RCI as it ALWAYS DOES.:)

For right now, however, I'm feeling like the lush with the booze confiscation news. :D

The 1As I book with the pull down bed feature would likely only be booked by solos or people traveling together who are not initimate partners. I can't see a couple wanting bunk beds, unless they're into some kind of acrobatic sex!

Roz

I am sorry to hear about Carnival's change in policy. I have started cruising a lot more and didn't look beyond Carnival. That will change. If I want to cruise I will go with whomever gives me the best deal. :D

However, it is not the end of the earth to me as I had begun to get the yen to go back to land travel, particularly Central and South America (have been there done that in Europe). It is always go to expand upon your horizons. ;)

This would stink for me as half or more of my cruises have been solo.

I just priced a sailing in March and it was showing 142% for a 1a solo so not sure that it has gone in to effect yet.

Sadly if this is true I would def take more of the last minute deals on RC as they have incentives for FL residents.

I am personally motivated to keep this thread at the top. I know there are a lot of solo Carnival cruisers (I lurk regularly). Where are you guys and gals???? Please post your input on this latest change in policy so the Carnival suits get the picture. Post on CC and please send an email to Carnival to let them know how unhappy we solo cruisers are with this latest bonehead decision.

I think the policy is fine. If Carnival feels that they can book 2 people in a 1A and receive 200% of the fare, why should a single person get to sail for only 150%?

In addition to losing the fare revenue, the staff also loses half the tips.

Sure, they save a LITTLE on food, etc, but it takes the same labor to clean the cabin, and provide other services.

Carnival probably made an informed decision that was purely economic. They lost money on solo cruisers versus couples, and they are raising the price.

Why would you expect them to lose money? They are probably telling you it is time for you to try another cruise line.

I think that since there are only a few 1A cabins, at least that's what I think, and all the other singles pay double the price, why give a few people a break when not everyone gets one? I do understand that some people want the 1A and that cruising as a single paying 2x the rate is expensive. My dad travels as a single and pays double the rate and even though we think that is unfair, he is still using a cabin that could be used by two people.

The onboard revenue from one person is another consideration. As are tips etc. We also travel on other cruise lines and haven't gotten a lower rate for a single in a cabin. I think Carnival is just doing what other lines have done all along.

I'm not saying I agree with charging 200% of the cabin rate for any cabin occupied by a single, but I do understand the cruise line's point of view. I don't think though that there is any way to justify paying 2x the port charges for a single, but here again, all the lines we sail on do that. It's just the government fees that aren't charged double.

To me, that is just an extra profit along with the extra charge for the cabin. But, then again, not all things in life are fair.

Carnival also made some additional recent adjustments to the way 1A booking are handled (particularly in regard to Early Saver bookings), that validated an earlier personal decision to spend my future vacation dollars elsewhere.

I'm still a bit surprised that more solo CruseCritic members haven't expressed their ire on those as well.

I plan to have a fantastic time on five remaining CCL sailings in 2010, and then it's time for this milestone cruiser to give a finger (you can guess which one).

I am personally motivated to keep this thread at the top. I know there are a lot of solo Carnival cruisers (I lurk regularly). Where are you guys and gals???? Please post your input on this latest change in policy so the Carnival suits get the picture. Post on CC and please send an email to Carnival to let them know how unhappy we solo cruisers are with this latest bonehead decision.

Would you email through the generic "contact us" section of the website or do you have a specific email?

I booked a 1a for my first cruise on the BC4 on Glory next Feb. I thought I was awfully early, but now am really glad I jumped when I did. I did get a forward PT. I had previously considered the singles on Epic based on no single supplement, guess I'll be taking a look again for a second cruise. But I have seen several couples saying they might book two of these to have extra bath space. So those may disappear also if NCL sees too much of that happening. I wasn't aware that HAL and others offered lower supplements. I'll sure be doing a lot more research for the next cruise as I prefer to travel solo.

Zambini,

Why do you think it's a dorm room? :confused:

Roz

I guess I just got confused, I had gotten a promotional email from NCL regarding the Epic awhile back and I just misunderstood the description of the studio cabin:o

I think the policy is fine. If Carnival feels that they can book 2 people in a 1A and receive 200% of the fare, why should a single person get to sail for only 150%?

In addition to losing the fare revenue, the staff also loses half the tips.

Sure, they save a LITTLE on food, etc, but it takes the same labor to clean the cabin, and provide other services.

Carnival probably made an informed decision that was purely economic. They lost money on solo cruisers versus couples, and they are raising the price.

Why would you expect them to lose money? They are probably telling you it is time for you to try another cruise line.

Dingo, you don't cruise solo, do you?

Archived