New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

Just wish people would try to see things objectively. That's all. They aren't a non-profit organization.

Rather see this than them raise the rates across the board.

Agree totally with that first sentence, but only partially with the second.

No one wants to see rates go up...that would be weird if they did. BUT for me personally, I would like to see them raise rates a bit and stop cutting back on things.

It seems like each time I cruise CCL lately, I see the cabin stewards less, the wait staff seems to wait more tables, the food seems a little less awesome and the crew a litte more over-extended than the time before.

It's been a very slow deterioration, but it's happening all the same.

For me, paying a little more to get some things back would be well worth it.

I'm not a solo cruiser, but these folks get screwed front, back and sideways. Previously, CCL stood apart and gave them a 'little' break, now they don't. In my opinion, this isn't the best way to make up for lacking revenue.

Wow! This thread has really taken on a life all its own since I last posted yesterday morning. I hate to say this, but with Carnival's low base fares compared to other lines, paying 200% for a 1A may still turn out to be cheaper than 125-175% on another line. However, that doesn't mean I like it.

Roz

Wow! This thread has really taken on a life all its own since I last posted yesterday morning. I hate to say this, but with Carnival's low base fares compared to other lines, paying 200% for a 1A may still turn out to be cheaper than 125-175% on another line. However, that doesn't mean I like it.

Roz

If the CCL product stood apart from other lines in some ways, it would be worth it, but they don't.

They've done nothing new or innovative. They built new ships which are just larger copies of older ones, designed and decorated by the same 'insane' man. Service on board is still good, no doubt.. but it isn't AS good as it used to be...same with food.

Shows are still basically the same old-same old.

CCL is getting into a RUT.

If the CCL product stood apart from other lines in some ways, it would be worth it, but they don't.

They've done nothing new or innovative. They built new ships which are just larger copies of older ones, designed and decorated by the same 'insane' man. Service on board is still good, no doubt.. but it isn't AS good as it used to be...same with food.

Awww I love the loudness of the decor on the Carnival ships. But I have to say since they new CEO took over it is going downhill, he is a greedy jerk. Even the crew comment on how things have gone down hill since he took over. He is all about the money and taking away things that made Carnival fun and a bargain. I think he will end up ruining the company. :(

Hmmm, maybe Carnival is getting smart, and has figured out that people sailing solo are not spending as much per person (even at 150% of fare) than the couples are spending. So they want to give them the heave ho?

Anyway, the point is, if a room will fit 2 people, and it is designed for 2 people, then by gosh it should have the revenue of 2 people.

That really is the bottom line.

Yet, still filling ships and making a boatload of money. Carnival has always liked to play it safe and stick to what works. It may seem like a RUT to many, but to stockholders its pure gold.

If people want to bolt to NCL's Epic and only pay 100% (and the ones I looked at were NOT cheap) for a 100 sq ft cabin, then go right ahead. You show those Carnival bean counters! :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd have a look - Epic 12/4, 7 night Eastern Caribbean (Miami, St Maarten, St Thomas, Nassau), $899 + tax = $1,003. That's the price for ONE PERSON in a 100 sq ft cabin.

Sorry. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me!

You could sail on Glory on 12/5 in a 4A (185 sq ft!) to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk for $926 ES, $1,142 Select, taxes included. Yes, that's the price for two, so if this report is correct, it would also be the price for one as of tomorrow. Actually, it will be even less because there will only be 1 port fee/taxes, right?

Just saying.

You need to compare to a new ship - Dream same dates, eastern caribbean for a single is 1249.00 taxes and fees in. This is for a 4A category. The Epic has the two story lounge for those in the studio cabins which Dream does not have anything like that.

So cheaper and more amenities on Epic (although a smaller cabin)

I'm on the Epic in a studio for her maiden transatlantic, 7 days--$1099 including port but not taxes leaving 6/24/10, I think $1150 including everything. They seem to be priced at about 25% higher than the per person inside cabin. Check out different dates and itineraries. I've never sailed NCL but I was on Carnival Liberty over last Christmas so it will be interesting to see how it compares. I will say that the daily tips are $12 on NCL compared to $10 on Carnival when I sailed.

It's interesting what a big secret this Carnival deal must have been--last year I called a TA and asked about any cruiselines that don't penalize singles too heavily. She tried to sell me a Holland America cruise for about a 95% single supplement, claimed that was the best I could get!!

So looke like Carnival is slipping a new policy into effect on MONDAY, JUNE 7TH (thanks for all the notice).

For all 1A solo cruise bookings after that date - you will be charged 200% and not the 150% (or sometimes less?) that is currently being offered.

):(

As Paul Harvey would say: Now for the rest of the story.

It's liquor smuggling that has cause the change in policy.. As many are aware Carnival has stepped up it liquor confiscations. As with any corporation today computers keeps track of all kinds of statistics. In the past month it has become evident to Carnival that with single travelers in 1A the smuggle rate is approximate 63.2189333X the smuggle rate of the other cabins.84.gif

Carnival's reasoning=replace loss revenue from tabacco & liquor smuggling with increased rates. 119.gif201.gif

..... travel buddy (a male) but I cannot take the burping, farting, and snoring any longer and thought that the 1A's were the answer. Not sure what I'll do now :confused:.

You're no fun.

You've been getting twice as much room as the rest of us, at a better price per square foot!

Time to pay the piper!

Nah. There's a thousand things a single person can do for a vacation. Cruising isn't the only game in town (I live in Vegas) We'll just pay a different piper.

It's liquor smuggling that has cause the change in policy.. As many are aware Carnival has stepped up it liquor confiscations. As with any corporation today computers keeps track of all kinds of statistics. In the past month it has become evident to Carnival that with single travelers in 1A the smuggle rate is approximate 63.2189333X the smuggle rate of the other cabins.84.gif

Carnival's reasoning=replace loss revenue from tabacco & liquor smuggling with increased rates. 119.gif201.gif

Any evidance of this? Sounds pretty out there to me.

You're no fun.
:D I'm especially no fun when I'm sleep deprived! But seriously, he has been my best friend for 10 yrs and I'd like to keep him as a friend so separate cabins it has to be!

BTW - we're coming to Vegas in the fall!

That's OK. The older they get the more they leak.

: )

Funny, in October i'll be "Leaving Las Vegas" if only just long enough to catch this boat. HMMMMM, 'Leaving Las Vegas' he said. This will also be just after I attend a Cheryl Crowe concert in Las Vegas.

I sley me.

Good one! ROTFLMAO

So looke like Carnival is slipping a new policy into effect on MONDAY, JUNE 7TH (thanks for all the notice).

For all 1A solo cruise bookings after that date - you will be charged 200% and not the 150% (or sometimes less?) that is currently being offered.

As a frequent solo cruiser I think this SUCKS!!! I try to economize where possible and getting a good price on a 1A allows me to cruise solo without breaking the bank (and paying for someone who isn't there!). I guess Carnival is losin some revenue (as there is only one person in the cabin) so they have changed their pricing on these cabins. I know that not all of these cabins are conducive for 'couples' so they are not that popular. Wonder if they will still be as popular?:confused:

Any others out there who think this is a bad idea on Carnival's part? (I am considering writing them to voice my complaints but sounds like a done deal!):(

I take it that the second cabin in the video is a 1A.

I had never seen one before and didn't know that they were available. It is too bad to hear the news but who would pay 200% for this room when they can get a larger cabin? I would have considered it for future cruises but not at 200%. :mad:

Any evidance of this? Sounds pretty out there to me.

Carnival's own admission in their "How To Run-A-Way Loyal Customers" manual:

Chapter: 169

Section 3789

Sub-Section XYZ

Sub-Sub-Section Z

Paragraph 2,296

Line 1 through 388.gif202.gif

Also consider this. When 2 people are onboard they usually will do the following more;

1. Order more DOD's

2. Order More Photos (SGL's may not buy any photos at all)

3. Spend more on Overpriced T-shirts & Souveniors

4. Less likely to purchase Excursion. Also 2nd charge here lost also

These are all HIGH Profit centers for the cruiseline. So it isnt just the Cruise Fare they want to make up, it is all the little HIGH profit extras.

Just look at Theme Parks. Overpriced Junk for sale with their names all over it, overpriced & cheap food (3.50 for a bottle of Soda) They can get away with because they know they have a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.

yes...and if the quadruple and triple occupancy rooms were full they would also sell more of the above too, but no one is talking about charging a "double supplement" for those rooms if there are only two pax in them....

Archived