New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

Michael. When I checked with Carnival Sat about the change and availability of 1As on Fantasy for Nov 15th, there were only three 1As left. I called my TA and took one of them. Same cabin that I'm on Elation in Aug. That way I'll know my way around. lol

HD, If you have never been on the Fantasy before I think that you will enjoy it. They did a nice job on the updates. I am looking forward to the Dec cruise on the Elation. The 1As, with and without portholes and Porthole cabins seem to go pretty fast on most ships. They have been a pretty good deal in the past for solo cruisers. Hopefully they will stay that way and this is all a big blowup over nothing as is usual around here.:p

... and lots are larger. The 1As on Conquest are much in demand, with either two twins or the larger ones on the lower decks, that have two port holes are all larger than 185 s.f., one twin and one sofa.

I think thats the problem ...on the conquest, triumph and destiny class, the 1As are often larger than a regular inside ..and some of these larger ones are on higher decks.

Thanks, Fire, for the clarification.....the point I was making was that the the 1A's cabins would not be smaller than the other inside cabins-I didn't know some would be even larger-good info to know!:cool:

I just ran through the same booking process on the Carnival sight that I did yesterday. Thus far, the price is the same. Maybe Carnival was fishing yesterday. Maybe the web master isn't in yet. At 6:20 AM Mountand standard this morning, the price is the same as yesterday for a solo 1A booking.

As of 10:45 AM EST still 150% for the several cruises I checked. ken

As of 10:45 AM EST still 150% for the several cruises I checked. ken

So I just spoke with my PVP and she confirmed that yes the rate was being increased - but given the short notice the change is now going into effect on

THURSDAY, JUNE 10TH!! (so those that are contemplating a 1A solo trip should keep this in mind).

I also 'complained' and told her how many of us solos were very unhappy with this decision and would consider cruising other lines - she was actually in agreement - and did encourage us to write to Carnival with our issues regarding this change!!! She had no idea why this decision was made or by whom! (of course I didn't think she would know this! :()

When I booked my 1A cabin early Sunday morning...the person I spoke with told me I was lucky to have booked at the 150% rate. I acted like I had no clue and asked why? She then volunteered the info that they had been sent an e-mail with an original date of June 7th of all 1A's going to be priced at 200% but had then received a new e-mail Saturday evening with a new date of June 10th so if I wanted to check out other cruises I had time to not make a rushed decision.

all of you with these dirt cheap cruises have got me thinking....if I'm insanely flexible with dates, itineraries, etc what are some really excellent deals out there in 2011? Anyone know of any offhand? I'm thinking 7 day, preferably not just Bahamas, preferably east coast or San Juan departure, repositioning ok.

Froufie and Cruiser at Heart,

Thank for the update on the policy change from June 7 to June 10...I'd best be searching for my next cruise!

Roz

I was on vacation last week and away from any computers. Just read through this thread and was dismayed at the information. I was waiting to book my 2011 Magic Barcelona cruise until later this year, but decided to do it today to make sure I got the lower rate. Before I did it, I price compared the cruise to comparable RCCL and Celebrity cruises (only other lines doing a similar cruise at that time). Current Carnival pricing on the 1A is 1/2 of the other two solo prices. My PVP said I was on her call list today when I called this morning - they're all calling their solo clients. I have 4 cruises booked with Carnival through October 2011. After that I'll be doing more price checking and whoever comes in with the lowest price will get my business. If I'm going to be paying a higher rate, I'd rather cruise with Princess.

JPG,

Glad to see you joined our roll call for the October 16, 2011 Carnival Magic cruise from Barcelona. I'm also booked in a 1A for that cruise. Like you, I price shopped, and no one else could come close to Carnival's price for a similar itinerary and number of days.

You're right, if I'm going to continue to sail solo, it's going to come down to price.

Roz

I was on vacation last week and away from any computers. Just read through this thread and was dismayed at the information. I was waiting to book my 2011 Magic Barcelona cruise until later this year, but decided to do it today to make sure I got the lower rate. Before I did it, I price compared the cruise to comparable RCCL and Celebrity cruises (only other lines doing a similar cruise at that time). Current Carnival pricing on the 1A is 1/2 of the other two solo prices. My PVP said I was on her call list today when I called this morning - they're all calling their solo clients. I have 4 cruises booked with Carnival through October 2011. After that I'll be doing more price checking and whoever comes in with the lowest price will get my business. If I'm going to be paying a higher rate, I'd rather cruise with Princess.

Hi..I've seen you on the 1A thread..you sum it up well and it was my reasoning for going for a bit higher price and 200% on HAL for a future Bermuda Cruise (better itinerary and just everything) and while Carnival is getting into that market; all the latest hub bub is too much...I may have said this here already..I may even cancel the 1A I have on Splendor..it just gets my goat..all the decisions and then saying oh no..let's wait 3 more days etc. All lines cut prices to the market, and we all shop the best bang for the buck..in so many ways Carnival is loosing that appeal and I have loved my minimal Princess and Holland experiences..so now we just shop, save more, spread our horizons...still a bit ticked..but all lines offer such wonderful different special things...

My latest thought (and again forgive me if I've not read someone say this etc.) is maybe those couples going on the cheap in the 1A's are big gamblers..that could be a big reason on all the Bread and Butter shortie cruises..especially on Fantasy Class for their change..only thing to ever really do is vote with our dollar..and keep making the bucks:mad::o:D:)...range of emotions..sjn911.

Just got an email from RCI. Grandeur of the Seas, Nov 1st, six day, western, four ports for $349 pp dbl out of Fll.

Again happily stressing our options..our deals are not over!!

No, not quite. Triumph is Triumph class, doesnt have pay dinner restaurant or Sur Mer.

Valor is Conquest class, about 300 pax bigger, longer ship.

The L shaped 1A spoken of is no longer a 1a on the conquest class because it was changed to two twins, but on triumph its still a 1A with bunk beds ..but has two large full sized windows ...the windows are the big attraction.

Hiya Firefly!!! Oh great 1A expert. Right now I'm kissing the bow in the most forward 1A on the Splendor on Riviera..any news and info on that cabin specifically..hard to get those photos etc..I've looked in some obvious places like cruise deckplans..just get the general..would love to find a photo and know anyone's experience.

JPG,

Glad to see you joined our roll call for the October 16, 2011 Carnival Magic cruise from Barcelona. I'm also booked in a 1A for that cruise. Like you, I price shopped, and no one else could come close to Carnival's price for a similar itinerary and number of days.

You're right, if I'm going to continue to sail solo, it's going to come down to price.

Roz

I've been on the roll call for a while, but just booked today. I really wanted to wait a bit longer, finance-wise, but I wanted to make sure I got the lower price. I first came to Carnival because of the price. Looks like I'm going to leave for the same reason.

I've been on the roll call for a while, but just booked today. I really wanted to wait a bit longer, finance-wise, but I wanted to make sure I got the lower price. I first came to Carnival because of the price. Looks like I'm going to leave for the same reason.

Hang in there a while longer before jumping ship. Carnival has a recent history of backtracking on policy changes after hearing from its passenger base and this one has already been postponed once (from the 7th to the 10th). Let's just wait and see if it actually happens.

If someone has already posted this, I apologize. I haven't read every post. Once the NCL Epic gets going, the other cruise lines will jump on board with the solo rates. The new ship has solo cabins with a "living room" in the middle. According to NCL, they are selling fast.

I've always used Carnival for double and solo cruises and haven't really looked at the other cruise lines very much.

This change is a strong incentive to look at those other cruise lines to see what they offer.

I agree with you on choosing Princess over Carnival all things being equal. I have always said I had Princess taste with a Carnival budget. We will see what the future brings.

As someone who cruises solo, the past eight cruises have beeb on Carnival. While I like Carnival, I liked the 150% more. Now that Carnival has gone to 200% . . . don't think I'll be cruising with Carnival anymore. There are more cruise lines out of Baltimore then Carnival's one and only cruise and since price can no longer be my first priority . . . looks like the convenience of driving to the departure Port will be.

I can't imagine 'lviing' in a cabin this small: (the 'studio cabin on the new NCL Epic)

http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/norwegian-epic-gains-single-cabins/

I don't really need a lounge to 'mingle' with others.....I do enjoy time in my cabin - alone - when I travel solo - and enjoy the spaciousness of my 1A - and having a problem with no 'light' I would always get a 1A with a porthole (or 2) so I can see outside and get some natural light.

Looks like the toilet is in a tiny 'closet' on the right and shower is behind glass - right in the room? (bet it gets steamy in there after you shower. I guess the sink is where the toilet is? Where do you put your clothes? Where do you sit to dry your hair and put on your makeup? I think I wouldn't be able to manage ni there and have a great cruise - but I'm sure others might enjoy the 'epic' experience??

Archived