Fire on Norwegian Epic on 6/6/10

So much for a smoke free ship....:rolleyes:

Getting a little nervous....:eek:

I'm perfectly comfortable sailing on the transatlantic voyage.

IMO, the ship will be very safe...once she leaves France.

From MeretMarine:

http://www.meretmarine.com/article.cfm?id=113381

The lead photo is a new photo from the Epic Sunday. The Google Translation:

Norwegian Epic: The criminal origin of fire starts is no longer in doubt

08/06/2010

The fire occurred Sunday afternoon on board the Norwegian ship Epic (C33), with completion in Saint-Nazaire, would be, too, of arson. These are the first findings from the findings made on board. The start of fire, which occurred during the day visiting the families of employees and subcontractors of STX France, broke out on the back, in a room air conditioner of the bridge 8. The flames were apparently developed in cartons. This claim has, fortunately, was quickly overpowered by security staff on board the ship. But it adds to the fire of 3 May, which caused little damage (mechanical room on Deck 4), then a new fire starts, almost immediately circumscribed, May 7 The shipyards of Saint-Nazaire, doubt no longer allowed. "The security services and security are on the teeth because there is someone who passes between the cracks, will ride in the boat and has access to the premises. This raises even more concern is that we have yet to find who that person was and how she acted. What is clear is that he or she knows the ship, "says a union official.

"There could be dead"

Following the fire occurred on the evening of May 3, the direction of STX France filed a complaint against X. Since the investigation is continuing and several dozen people have been interviewed by police. Regarding the incident on Sunday, the track of one of the 15,000 people boarded during the visit seems excluded, significant security measures being implemented. Visitors should, in particular, leave their lighters at dock before landing recovered. But, above all, the succession of three fires that start in a month that leads investigators to consider that an arsonist is rife on the "C33", as it is known in construction sites. "A succession of three fires in such a short time, it can not be accidental, especially since the last fire is clearly not a coincidence. We're going to target those who were present at every time, "explained our colleagues Press Ocean Captain Jacques, the police of Saint-Nazaire. The investigation is continuing, therefore, not only on the 2500 employees and subcontractors of STX France but also in the direction of the 1500 crew members, arrived on board in early May. However, in this hive of what this ship near completion, the task is obviously difficult for investigators. On the union side, it is estimated that there is urgency to put an end to the arsonist's actions before he will commit the irreparable. "One can only be restless until that person has not been found. The first time, there could be deaths. This is obviously someone who does not go well because, to get there, it must be very wrong. We call this person not to be alone and talk about it before committing the irreparable. "

N cursed?

The Norwegian Epic is it a "Billingsgate"? This is the question that eventually landed as the contract signed in 2006 has turned into ordeal for St. Nazaire. It all started in October 2006. The American company Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) sign, then the biggest contract in the history of sites: 1.47 billion euros for two giant ships of 326 meters long, 153,000 tons and, finally, 2114 booth ( the figure has changed several times). The contract comprises an option for a third vessel. This is, initially, not exercised. Then in the summer of 2007, the investment fund Apollo Management took over the reins of NCL. The accounts of the company, heavily in deficit, are scrutinized and the project "Freestyle 3" is downright overhauled. Discussions on amendments to the initial design turn the conflict between STX and its client. So in September 2008, a thunderclap reasoning in Saint-Nazaire.

Begun a few weeks earlier, the construction of the D33, sister ship of the C33, is canceled by the U.S. company, which is unprecedented in the history of sites. An agreement was finally reached in December 2008 for the integration of changes during the construction of the C33. The delivery date of the ship, originally intended to last quarter of 2009, is postponed to January 2010, before finally slipping through June of this year. The construction of the boat, particularly innovative, will prove very difficult to manage STX changes almost incessant requests from the client and delays in the completion of certain batches of its subcontractors. On 19 March, the group announced that the construction of the Norwegian Epic display a surcharge of 15 to 20 million euros. The complexity of the project, says one then in the Loire estuary, has generated an excess of budget estimates in the studies, procurement and assembly. The final cost of the boat, which has still not been officially announced, is estimated by the U.S. press over 1.2 billion dollars.

To top it all, the risks have increased in the last six months at the worst moment, that is to say for the last stretch before delivery. After an initial series of sea trials (12 to 14 February) perfectly successful, the Norwegian Epic must enter dry dock March 19. But the operation was finally canceled due to a technical problem on the door below the form Joubert, who refuses to open. Submitted to the vagaries of weather, the transfer is then programmed into the night of March 26 to 27. Then on March 26, in the afternoon, damage occurs to one of three large diesel engines of 15 MW, causing heavy damage. The transfer form Joubert was again canceled. It will intervene only in the night of April 10 to 11 and decided to take advantage of STX drydock to achieve a remanufactured engine damaged. The black series continues on the evening of May 3, when the first fire broke out at the rear, on Deck 4. The damage is severe, 80 km of wiring to be replaced. The disaster leads to a further postponement of sea trials, which must eventually take place from June 11 to 13 (instead of the original mid-April). Since then, two other outbreaks of fire occurred, fortunately without human or material accordingly. While greater vigilance prevails in yards to prevent the arsonist from C33 to act again, so it is under high tension that will be held 12 days before delivery of the Norwegian Epic. The "Epic Norwegian" must end on May 17, at least as regards Saint-Nazaire.

Thanks for posting the latest 14ersco...

I was waiting to see myself if it was arson and again it was. This ship needs out of France ASAP. I'm astonished that the investigators would point their finger at the crew who from all the people I know who transferred there are VERY happy to be there and being paid when no customers are on the ship and VERY excited to be taking out a new ship which they hope will be a smashing hit with the US market. I think the investigators need to focus their attention on the workers who are onboard. Specifically if the investigators were paying much attention looking at the contractors who have finished up work or who have access to the ship during the two shifts in question on the night of May 3rd and then cross matching it with the people who attended the open house this past Sunday.

What a mess... get this ship out of France - STAT!

As I recall the crew didn't get on the Epic until after the first two fires, so there is no common thread relating them to the fires. They really need video surveillance, and I assume the ship has, or will have, that in common areas--I assume it wasn't functional during any of these fires or they could just look at the video!

I'm really getting freaked out now by all this! What else have these morons done to the ship that might not be detected until its too late!

I will definately be in the front row of the muster drill listening intently!

As I recall the crew didn't get on the Epic until after the first two fires, so there is no common thread relating them to the fires. They really need video surveillance, and I assume the ship has, or will have, that in common areas--I assume it wasn't functional during any of these fires or they could just look at the video!

I wonder if the cables that were sabotaged recently in the last fire might have to do with the cameras. NCL has the most extensive camera setup on their ships of any cruise line I have sailed on thus far. I'm impressed by their coverage so something is askew here as to why this most recent person was not caught. They have cameras in every section of the stateroom corridors. This is really messed up. I hope NCL makes sure a thorough search of the people arriving for the sea trials is done to make sure nothing flammable is brought onboard and watches the contractors like a hawk. I don't think the perpetrator would be that stupid to do something while it's under way because then it'd be someone who had to still be onboard. This is just so sad! :(

Don't worry the french usually don't hit anything they aim at. Just kidding :).

LMAO!!

Brand New and (mostly) Smoke Free ;)

ROFLMAO!!! But not that funny since we are sailing on her next month! :eek:

You guys have nothing on me. I'm booked on the TA on June 24.. I have been biting my teeth for a while now.. I won't be fully assured this cruise is actually going until that ship is docked at Southampton on June 17.... and I'm leaving for London on June 18!

In any event.. I am optomistic and hope to have the vacation of a lifetime on my cruise!

You guys have nothing on me. I'm booked on the TA on June 24.. I have been biting my teeth for a while now.. I won't be fully assured this cruise is actually going until that ship is docked at Southampton on June 17.... and I'm leaving for London on June 18!

In any event.. I am optomistic and hope to have the vacation of a lifetime on my cruise!

She is only due to leave Saint-Nazaire on June 17th!

I have no doubts that the ship will leave on time but whether or not she's finished is a different story. The Coral Princess built by this same shipyard was delivered with parts of the crew area still incomplete. I felt for the crew on that ship because it was blistering hot in some areas of their cabins below decks when the A/C was not functioning. I knew then that France was not a good place to build a ship and when the show was cancelled in the aft show lounge with revolving stages because the motors were installed backwards and so many other things being slightly wrong... I cringed when NCL picked them to build the Epic. :(

I'm sure the folks on the TA will have a ship to get on though! :D Enjoy your pre-cruise stay in the UK and be sure to keep us all posted of how it goes! :)

Archived