Hanauma Bay, Oahu Question

lightsleeper

Plan to climb Diamondhead first and then head to Hanauma Bay for snorkling.

Have read everywhere that parking is limited and the lot fills up early and then they "close the gate" for awhile.

If the gate is "closed" does anyone know if there is another parking lot in the area that could be used? Is it better to just sit at the closed entrance and wait for the gate to open?

If neither of the above, can anyone suggest another snorkling spot not too far from

Hanauma

thanks

What time are you going to Diamond Head? I think that I read that the parking lot is usually full by about 9:30 am. I'm pretty sure that we are going to hike Diamond Head at sunrise.

I believe theBus will take you there too, so you wouldn't have to deal with parking.

When we were there, we went to the bay first, than hiked up Diamond Head. The bay does get crowded. There were people at Diamond Head, but definately not crowded. I understand that a swin would be nice after taking a hike, but why take the chance of not being able to get in?

If your plan puts you there after noon you should be o.k. I don't know if you are planning on a weekday or weekend day and what time of year. Both of those will effect the crowds. We have never found the lot closed but always arrive around 1:00 with lunch and enjoy the bay and snorkeling as the crowds start to leave. When the park closes the beach is wonderfully uncrowded. I'm not positive, but I seem to remember cars parked along the side of the road by the entrance. If you climb Diamond Head and head to Hanauma and want lunch there are some great eat in and take-out places on the way. Cherie

Most reports, tour books and previous hikers, all say to try and do Diamondhead as early in the day as possible. Though not a major hike in the sense of hiking, it is all uphill and HOT. It is sort of a zig zag type of hike, along a well maintained path with several long sets of steps, and there is NO SHADE anywhere along the way. If you are a 'heat' person, you may find itOK and it may be less crowed in the afternoon.

We went up at about 9:00AM, in mid august, and I know my shirt was soaking wet by the time I got to the top, and no, the day was no different from any other day in Hawaii. You are in the sun basically the entire way up, and it does drain on you.

We tried to get to the 'Bay' around noon, on a different day, and were closed out. There was no alternate parking area, at least none we found.

Cheers

Len

Both of these destinations are best first thing in the morning. We initially tried to hike Diamond Head ~10:30-11:00 am on the Saturday when we disembarked from the ship (we would like to have been earlier, but after renting the car we wanted to check our bags at our hotel). We were the first car turned away as the parking lot was full. Better if you can split over two mornings. But if you have only one day I would pick which one interests you most (for me Hanauma Bay) do it first, and then attempt the other but have a contingency plan if you do not get in. We had no problem getting into either early in the morning.

As others have said both are best in the morning. If you only have only one day I'd say do Diamond head for sunrise view, drive the island and come back to Hanauma bay. IMHO the spot has gone downhill in the past 20 years, actually most since it got converted to a park, but I'm comparing to the 80-90s to now. The last time I was there it was late afternoon and crowds were sparse, most tourist pack it up and are off as beyond the snorkling there is really not much else there to linger IMHO.

I'm not sure what people mean as hot or hard about diamond head. Its a beautiful and easy hike even at mid-day, my pregnant wife did it easly with my 4 and 6 year old in tow and "carried" many years ago very doable and very enjoyable!

Plan to climb Diamondhead first and then head to Hanauma Bay for snorkling.

Have read everywhere that parking is limited and the lot fills up early and then they "close the gate" for awhile.

If the gate is "closed" does anyone know if there is another parking lot in the area that could be used? Is it better to just sit at the closed entrance and wait for the gate to open?

If neither of the above, can anyone suggest another snorkling spot not too far from

Hanauma

thanks

2000_06c.jpg.7587531694d5643de151dce209d56037.jpg

Lightsleeper,

I will confirm what others have said, there are no other parking lots within the immediate area of Hanauma Bay. The parking lot will fill up and they will be turning people away some time in the morning. But later in the afternoon it emptys out. However, the park closes at 6:30. I know they say 7pm, but that is when they lock the front gate.

The first day we attempted Hanauma Bay, we were too late and the parking lot was closed. We thought that might happen and had back-up plans. We returned earlier the next morning and were able to secure entry. I wish I could recall the exact times, but I can't. It was after 9am on the first day, and before 9am on the second day.

On the day we went to Hanauma Bay, we stayed until approximately 1pm. We went back to our townhouse, just around the corner on Hawaii Kai, for lunch. I was the only one interested in returning (although all of us were stamped for re-entry). Since it was just around the corner, I was dropped off and left the rental car with the rest of the family.

If I recall correctly, they make an announcement that the lifeguards leave around 5pm. Later in the evening, at 6:30pm, they ask you to exit the water. Almost immediately after the announcement to exit the water, they announce that the gate will be locked at 7pm. Although I enjoyed the less crowded snorkeling in the later afternoon, it did cool off quite a bit. Being wet and the Bay is in the shade in the afternoon, I was almost cold. By 6:30pm, I was ready to get out of the water and dry off, plus my camera battery died.

Here are a couple of photos from my day at Hanauma Bay. Hope this helps.

A convict tang

4661358178_b210e825f3.jpg

A moorish idol

4660743095_e4c0e40304.jpg

A couple of fourspot butterfly fish

4660751689_d7f2dd4cab.jpg

One of the three sea turtles I saw that day

4661373706_b88a2fbf80.jpg

Lightsleeper,

I will confirm what others have said, there are no other parking lots within the immediate area of Hanauma Bay. The parking lot will fill up and they will be turning people away some time in the morning. But later in the afternoon it emptys out. However, the park closes at 6:30. I know they say 7pm, but that is when they lock the front gate.

The first day we attempted Hanauma Bay, we were too late and the parking lot was closed. We thought that might happen and had back-up plans. We returned earlier the next morning and were able to secure entry. I wish I could recall the exact times, but I can't. It was after 9am on the first day, and before 9am on the second day.

On the day we went to Hanauma Bay, we stayed until approximately 1pm. We went back to our townhouse, just around the corner on Hawaii Kai, for lunch. I was the only one interested in returning (although all of us were stamped for re-entry). Since it was just around the corner, I was dropped off and left the rental car with the rest of the family.

If I recall correctly, they make an announcement that the lifeguards leave around 5pm. Later in the evening, at 6:30pm, they ask you to exit the water. Almost immediately after the announcement to exit the water, they announce that the gate will be locked at 7pm. Although I enjoyed the less crowded snorkeling in the later afternoon, it did cool off quite a bit. Being wet and the Bay is in the shade in the afternoon, I was almost cold. By 6:30pm, I was ready to get out of the water and dry off, plus my camera battery died.

Here are a couple of photos from my day at Hanauma Bay. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing the photos and your experience!! AMAZING!!

It sounds like Hanauma is best bright and early or after 1:00. We have always gone in the afternoon, with a packed lunch, and enjoyed the beach as it empties out. Just fabulous. It really is a matter of whether you want to fight the crowds in the a.m. or have a leisurely afternoon. I don't think it is the best snorkeling on Oahu but it is a beautiful bay. Have a great time!!!!! Cherie

That's a question I would love to see the answer to. I was there in 1997 and snorkeled at the bay. Lots of fish that love to get fed but the coral was in tough shape from all of the people. I can only imagine that it hasn't gotten any better... Would love to know where there are some good snorkel spot around the island. It would certainly beat trying to find them on your own! Mahalo :)

• 2 weeks later...
That's a question I would love to see the answer to. I was there in 1997 and snorkeled at the bay. Lots of fish that love to get fed but the coral was in tough shape from all of the people. I can only imagine that it hasn't gotten any better... Would love to know where there are some good snorkel spot around the island. It would certainly beat trying to find them on your own! Mahalo :)

It looks like you will be going in July when the surf is very calm. Many snorkel at Sharks Cove on the North Shore and also with the turtles at "Turtle Beach" just outside of Haleiwa. Lots of places to get food and drink for a picnic on the beach and time in the water. Try googling snorkeling on Oahu. Cherie

We hiked Diamond Head, then proceeded on toward Hanauma Bay etc. Hanauma Bay was open all afternoon that day, but we did not have our swim stuff with us. The next day we decided to return to Hanauma Bay, taking our time since it was open all day the previous day. When we got there, the lot was full :rolleyes:. We just went on to the state park beach down the road for a while, probably less than an hour and returned to Hanauma and by then, it was open. There is a small spot on the side of the road to park. But we could not imagine parking there, trudging up the hill to the entrance and then down the hill to the bay and walking all the way back again.

............funny, everything you read says to get places early. We are not early people, although, we did wake up early our first few days in Hawaii. We really did not arrive to any of the prime destinations, Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Dole, Hanauma, early and nothing was crowded. Maybe it was just the time of year..........first two weeks in June.

jillyfish - I agree with you about arriving everywhere early. We have been to Pearl Harbor, Hanauma, and other sights in the afternoon and never been turned away. We usually arrive around 1:00, after all of the early birds have come and gone. Our experience has been during school holidays also. Did you enjoy the state park that was past Hanauma? Was it a good swimming beach? Cherie

jillyfish - I agree with you about arriving everywhere early. We have been to Pearl Harbor, Hanauma, and other sights in the afternoon and never been turned away. We usually arrive around 1:00, after all of the early birds have come and gone. Our experience has been during school holidays also. Did you enjoy the state park that was past Hanauma? Was it a good swimming beach? Cherie

That was my DH theory. Everyone read the literature to 'get there early' and had already been there and gone!!! :D

Yes, we liked the state park past Hanauma, I think it was Waimanalo Beach Park. The first day we went further, the first right after the McDonald's and you drive quite a ways in to the parking lot. The parking lot was kinda secluded so we did not like that knowing of all of the car theft problems. I think another name for this area was the 'Sherwood Forest'. The second day, we stopped at an area where the parking lot was visible from the road, it is still the same beach though. It was a gorgeous beach!!!!! Very long swath of sand, practically all to ourselves!!!! There was a bride having her photos taken there and also another photographer taking pictures of a model. Silky soft sand, no rocks in the way while swimming, the waves were very calm while we were there and the water very clear.

Archived