Ruby is a different ship, but not for the good

mrsafety

I would bring the printouts. You don't have to be confrontational. Just politely show them to the maitre-d and state calmly and with a smile that according to princess.com, attire in the specialty restaurant is smart casual not formal. If he insists, a quick visit to customer service should resolve the issue. If done in a polite, business-like manner, it would be far less stressful than fretting over a maitre-d that is stricter than the policy.

PS: I am wondering if this is the same rogue maitre-d that we had on Caribbean Princess two years ago - Demand for early traditional was very high on that cruise (we were over 600 on the waiting list), so many were bumped into anytime. He would NOT accept reservations in the anytime room for these people, and there was absolute chaos in the hallway outside the anytime dining rooms between 6pm and 7:30pm, with waiting times of 45-60 minutes.

I would bring the printouts. You don't have to be confrontational. Just politely show them to the maitre-d and state calmly and with a smile that according to princess.com, attire in the specialty restaurant is smart casual not formal. If he insists, a quick visit to customer service should resolve the issue. If done in a polite, business-like manner, it would be far less stressful than fretting over a maitre-d that is stricter than the policy.

PS: I am wondering if this is the same rogue maitre-d that we had on Caribbean Princess two years ago - Demand for early traditional was very high on that cruise (we were over 600 on the waiting list), so many were bumped into anytime. He would NOT accept reservations in the anytime room for these people, and there was absolute chaos in the hallway outside the anytime dining rooms between 6pm and 7:30pm, with waiting times of 45-60 minutes.

Hi Donna,

We were on that same cruise with you and we also had issues with that same Maitre d'. By any chance, do you remember his name? He left that ship shortly thereafter.

You are all doing a great job debating amidst yourselves. To bad the OP hasn't been back to share in the fun!

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes with a hit and run post, others get so worked up when there haven't even been any real details about the complaint posted. :cool:

Hi Donna,

We were on that same cruise with you and we also had issues with that same Maitre d'. By any chance, do you remember his name? He left that ship shortly thereafter.

Hi!!! I am so happy to find someone else who supports my experience with that maitre-d. Every time I share our dining issues on that cruise here on CC, I find many doubters and people who insist that you can make reservations for the same waiters in the anytime dining room!

I just checked my Patters. His name is: Angelo Balbiani

Hi!!! I am so happy to find someone else who supports my experience with that maitre-d. Every time I share our dining issues on that cruise here on CC, I find many doubters and people who insist that you can make reservations for the same waiters in the anytime dining room!

This, imho, is the reason that AT dining has all it's problems. If cruisers wanted a set time they should go traditional. If they want "Anytime" they should not. Having standing reservations for anytime dining is not anytime dining and gums up the works.

Bob

We were on the same cruise and dining was an absolute nightmare, we couldn't make any reservations in anytime and the wait was up to an hour for dinner. We were really embarrassed as we had brought friends on their first cruise and had really talked up Princess, luckily it didn't put them off but it was a huge issue and drove us nuts!

This, imho, is the reason that AT dining has all it's problems. If cruisers wanted a set time they should go traditional. If they want "Anytime" they should not. Having standing reservations for anytime dining is not anytime dining and gums up the works.

Bob

I absolutely agree with you - however Princess does allow it and it saves alot of messing around and waiting. On our Ruby cruise we booked the same window table for 2 with fabulous waiters for 10 of the 12 days and dining was wonderful. I don't like traditional dining, don't want to share a table and from what I read here TD is very hard to get into anyway. it suited us and made our cruise. However the one cruise it didn't work was on the Carribbean as stated above.

Terry

I absolutely agree with you - however Princess does allow it and it saves alot of messing around and waiting. On our Ruby cruise we booked the same window table for 2 with fabulous waiters for 10 of the 12 days and dining was wonderful. I don't like traditional dining, don't want to share a table and from what I read here TD is very hard to get into anyway. it suited us and made our cruise. However the one cruise it didn't work was on the Carribbean as stated above.

Terry

Terry;

Glad it worked for you. I have always booked super early, so I've never had problems getting a table for our preference of late seating traditional.....:):):)

Bob

Bob

Right on!

Ouch....he is one tough cookie, although I don't ever remember reading he was ever on the Ruby. Besides that.......I noticed a couple of jeans/shorts in the MDR on casual nights so if he is so strict about dress, he would have not allowed those folks entrance to the dining room.

I wonder if he even works for Princess anymore? We found him to be arrogant and rude in our experience doing the Chef's Table.

Hi All

Why do folk complain about a ship, it does make or act on policy,

a ship can have a poor layout, lack of maintenance etc,

but a ship as never told anyone to wear a tie.

Companies set policy and people act on that instruction.

Princess has the right to try out any new policy , feature method etc etc

on any ship it wants, it would be nice if we knew about it first.

So what is happening here, is it an offical instruction please try this and see what happens, or is it one person doing his own thing.

Now if it is one person he or she will have a boss so go speak to them.

Looking forward to the Ruby next year, if there is any issues then I will deal with them onboard.

yours Shogun

There are too many rules on the Ruby that are different then the policies of the cruise line. Someone needs to really investigate why the ships crew feels they can change policy of the line to suit this ship? When you read the different threads you see a problem with the different enforcement of policies that originate from the officers of the Ruby Princess.

Karen and Jamie

Mr S, can you specify as to your reasons for disatisfaction?

What's wrong with getting dressed up? DH and I actually look forward to formal nights.

There are too many rules on the Ruby that are different then the policies of the cruise line. Someone needs to really investigate why the ships crew feels they can change policy of the line to suit this ship? When you read the different threads you see a problem with the different enforcement of policies that originate from the officers of the Ruby Princess.

Karen and Jamie

Bob

I totally agree HOWEVER then, everyone who wants traditional dining should be able to get it. Those of us who wanted traditional but got bumped into anytime against our will because of waiting lists that are over 600 people long should be accomodated and leave true anytime dining to those who want it. It isn't as easy as you wrote because we would gladly choose early traditional every time, but aren't always able to get in.

Also, another problem is traditional diners who are lead to believe that they can eat in the anytime room one or two nights during the cruise if they wish. They do not realize that it's one or the other, and until Sea Pass cards are checked at the anytime room door to insure that only those assigned there are eating there, "the works will be gummed up"

I thing Generoso will be returning soon as the Maitr De. I think he and Capt. Yeomans are currently on extended holiday.

Cruised on the Ruby in 2009 on the TA. We did not see anything out of the ordinary while on board for 16 days. We like to dress on formal nights and we took wine aboard and even boughts some at ports along the way. We had a great time. The Ruby was just like any other Princess ship only new. :)

Demand for early traditional was very high on that cruise (we were over 600 on the waiting list), so many were bumped into anytime.

Bob

The poster wanted a set time. He/she was over number 600 on the waiting list. There were more than enough people to completely fill one of the anytime dining rooms with people who wanted early traditional dining and could not have it.

What "gums up the works" is not changing one of the anytime dining rooms into early traditional for the first seating time when demand is this high.

It does annoy me when a person enters a criticism and then disappears. I then feel that all they want is to cause a problem. Notice how this silly entry has no details and yet it has managed to get back to the formal dinner nights' and traditional vs anytime dining. Thae topics can always bring controversy.

Could Anytime dining mean times other than early and late sitting. Like I want a reservation for 7 or 930.

The poster wanted a set time. He/she was over number 600 on the waiting list. There were more than enough people to completely fill one of the anytime dining rooms with people who wanted early traditional dining and could not have it.

What "gums up the works" is not changing one of the anytime dining rooms into early traditional for the first seating time when demand is this high.

Great idea if you want early sitting traditional. Not so great if you want the flexibility of anytime dining, but tend to eat early. Having a child, I like the flexibility anytime dining allows--but prefer not to wait until 8 PM for dinner. This suggestion would take 1/2 (or more) of the anytime dining spots out of the equation before 8 PM, on most of the Princess ships. It seems to work OK on the Diamond/Sapphire, where you are only taking 1/4 of the anytime dining spots (1 out of 4 anytime dining restaurants) out of the equation. I don't think it would work well to allocate at least 1/2 of the anytime dining spots to early traditional.

It does annoy me when a person enters a criticism and then disappears.

Perhaps the original posters were pseudonyms for Lamont Cranston and Margo Lane. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of disgruntled Ruby cruisers?" :)

Great idea if you want early sitting traditional. Not so great if you want the flexibility of anytime dining, but tend to eat early. Having a child, I like the flexibility anytime dining allows--but prefer not to wait until 8 PM for dinner. This suggestion would take 1/2 (or more) of the anytime dining spots out of the equation before 8 PM, on most of the Princess ships.

And how does that differ from having 600 people who wanted early traditional along with those who wanted anytime lining up at the same time for dinner?

If one of the two anytime dining rooms is assigned to early traditional, then that means there will less of a crowd at the dining room that remains anytime when it opens.

And do not forget that Princess is now offering a new additional fixed seating time of 5:30 PM. Since that will not be in the traditional fixed seating dining room, it means that it will have to be in one of the anytime dining rooms.

You are all doing a great job debating amidst yourselves. To bad the OP hasn't been back to share in the fun!

I think some people do this on purpose & then sit back & laugh. Sort of like my cat when I call her & she's hiding nearby!

Archived