Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

I just looked at my one night stay at the Sheraton Hotel at the Paris airport. And they put on 1 Euro on my bill.(UNICEF) No big deal but no sign no nothing at the desk. It was an auto check out. So the bill was mailed.

Just note before hand that you might be doing a donation and never know it. Look at all the companies that pay your Corp. card while traveling overseas. You drop the key and you would never know it.

imo it's a charity fee. When a charge is imposed without my consent I consider it a fee, not a donation. A donation by definition is voluntary and does not require me to do anything to remove it.

It is not a "fee" within the accepted Dictionary definition of that word. It is an involuntary charge.

imo it's a charity fee. When a charge is imposed without my consent I consider it a fee, not a donation. A donation by definition is voluntary and does not require me to do anything to remove it.

It is a solicitation not a fee. A fee is renumeration for services rendered.

The majority of the people sailing on Silversea I assume have sufficient discretionary income to afford the $1.00 a day charity donation, (charge, fee, or whatever you want to call it) towards a commendable charitable purpose such the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation which puts a major part of its energy and resources into providing palliative care for children, babies and adolescents affected by incurable illness. Frankly I am sickened by those who whine incessantly about such a nominal "charitable charge" added to their bill; an amount that the majority of us, I again assume, is of no financial consequence, an amount I've paid for a cocktail in parts of Europe. I suspect these are also the same people that gripe about giving an extra tip to their cabin steward or donation to the ship crew fund. Get a life and be happy you can afford a wonderful cruise and don't worry so much about the "principle" of being charged for something you did not " authorize". The purpose is make it easy to donate for those that wouldn't think to do it on their own.

The majority of the people sailing on Silversea I assume have sufficient discretionary income to afford the $1.00 a day charity donation, (charge, fee, or whatever you want to call it) towards a commendable charitable purpose such the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation which puts a major part of its energy and resources into providing palliative care for children, babies and adolescents affected by incurable illness. Frankly I am sickened by those who whine incessantly about such a nominal "charitable charge" added to their bill; an amount that the majority of us, I again assume, is of no financial consequence, an amount I've paid for a cocktail in parts of Europe. I suspect these are also the same people that gripe about giving an extra tip to their cabin steward or donation to the ship crew fund. Get a life and be happy you can afford a wonderful cruise and don't worry so much about the "principle" of being charged for something you did not " authorize". The purpose is make it easy to donate for those that wouldn't think to do it on their own.

Obviously, your opinion is a minority opinion (which you are certainly entitled to). However, IMO, we are able to afford luxury cruising, etc. because we pay attention to companies that feel that they can take advantage of people for a few bucks without anyone complaining. Personally, I would not donate one penny to a company that spends it's money on bracelets. . . . monies that we donate should go to those in need. Also wonder why you feel the need to take all of us to task for our opinions:confused:

White Oak, may I refer you to my post #208? Thank you;

"I am going to rant, so if not interested, please move on...

I am so sick and tired of people making judgements or having expectations of how I SHOULD spend my money just because I HAVE it. Jgrahamii, yes, I spent just over 12 grand on my upcoming cruise, and yes, I can afford the charity charge BUT I WILL not be bullied into being told how to spend one single cent of my money...not 20 cents, not 20 dollars, not a dime! You know why I have money? Because I manage it properly and spend it where I want, as I see fit.

I get your attitude ALL the time. Going to lunch with me, well OF COURSE i'll pick up the tab, I live in a big fancy house. Have to carpool with me? Well of course I'll drive because I have a Benz. Going on a fancy cruise, well of course she can afford a charity donation. I am SICK SICK SICK of people making assumptions that just because I have the resources that I will spend it on THEM.

Ok...feel better now...lovely day here in Toronto, have a good day all :). "

White Oak, may I refer you to my post #208? Thank you;

"I am going to rant, so if not interested, please move on...

I am so sick and tired of people making judgements or having expectations of how I SHOULD spend my money just because I HAVE it. Jgrahamii, yes, I spent just over 12 grand on my upcoming cruise, and yes, I can afford the charity charge BUT I WILL not be bullied into being told how to spend one single cent of my money...not 20 cents, not 20 dollars, not a dime! You know why I have money? Because I manage it properly and spend it where I want, as I see fit.

I get your attitude ALL the time. Going to lunch with me, well OF COURSE i'll pick up the tab, I live in a big fancy house. Have to carpool with me? Well of course I'll drive because I have a Benz. Going on a fancy cruise, well of course she can afford a charity donation. I am SICK SICK SICK of people making assumptions that just because I have the resources that I will spend it on THEM.

Ok...feel better now...lovely day here in Toronto, have a good day all :). "

Well Said

It is a solicitation not a fee. A fee is renumeration for services rendered.

solicitation means: 'urgently asking'. Seems one who solicitates should wait for the asking to be answered before feeing. Boy are we beating this thing to death or not. Just fun. :):):rolleyes:

Dear Travelcat 2 and Northerncheapo

I don't think I am the minority opinion, just perhaps within the vocal group that seems to inhabit this board. I prefer to believe that the majority of Silversea passengers don't have a problem with the donation. If some do they are free to have it removed. What I find objectionable are those posters that try to pressure (extort) Silversea into stopping the donation by threatening to take their business elsewhere. That is certainly their prerogative, I'd prefer they just leave quietly.

The purpose of the bracelets is to make others cognizant of the charitable foundation with the hope of raising awareness of the plight of families who have a child with a terminal illness and raising money to help alleviate their suffering. It is a visual symbol. If you base your decision to donate or not based on a charity that spends its money (pennies) on such symbols, then you would not donate to the American Red Cross, The Susan G. Komen Foundation (breast cancer), The American Heart Association, The American Diabetes Foundation, the list goes on and on. With regard to your question why I feel the need to "take all of us to task for our opinions", I'm not. This is a dialogue and I'm expressing my opinion. If the ten or twenty bucks is that big a deal, Keep it. I don't want you to (begrudgingly) spend your money on "them".

This problem is easily solved by having a notice in final documents explainind what the charity is and its history and then asking the customer if they would like to donate. The history would explain why it is associated with Silversea. Some might feel pressured, but shouldn't.

I might just write them a check straight off. Is it tax deductable? If so I would like it with a separate check rather than as part of my ship board account. Mine would only be $20 for ten day cruise. I might just donate more.

...a commendable charitable purpose such the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation which puts a major part of its energy and resources into providing palliative care for children, babies and adolescents affected by incurable illness. ...

White Oak: What makes you believe this is a commendable charity? Because they say they are? Because they’re run by the owner’s family? I’ve looked at the Foundation website, and it’s hard to figure out what they’ve accomplished versus what they aim to do. Rather than direct service to patients, they’re more focused on planning roundtables, conferences, publications, talking to government bodies. And, there’s no financial information about how money is spent. Perhaps they are a commendable organization doing many good works. And, perhaps not. The setting-up of ‘personal non-profits’ has become a trend, as another poster has mentioned. These organizations may do some good works, but their ultimate goal is personal financial gain. I’m not claiming that SS is doing this, but they don’t give us the information we need to make a truly informed opinion about this Foundation. If we all acquiesce to anyone wanting money for a "charity", don’t demand information and accountability, and give in to being shamed for not going along, then we are encouraging the development of more and more of those ‘charitable’ foundations that really aren’t such. And, we’re wasting a finite resource (our money) that could have been put to better use elsewhere.

Dear Travelcat 2 and Northerncheapo

If you base your decision to donate or not based on a charity that spends its money (pennies) on such symbols, then you would not donate to the American Red Cross, The Susan G. Komen Foundation (breast cancer), The American Heart Association, The American Diabetes Foundation, the list goes on and on.

Perhaps you are being just a little over parochial here, and have forgotten that not all charitable organisations are based in America. When I last looked the Red Cross was still an international federation.

I donate to the charities I think are worthwhile, as I am sure most cruisers in our situation (i.e. reasonably well off) do.

When at the airport hotel prior to most of our cruises, we do not mind that they put in £1 for UNICEF, as it is not a lot, and also a good cause, and with all the people they have through their hotels raises a lot of cash. However, this Silversea charity is a small charity; most of us have never heard of it, and it is not necessarily one we would wish to give to. It most certainly should not be an automatic add-on to your cruise bill, and you should have the opportunity to choose whether you wish to give or not without having to make an effort to do so.

I do think that with all this publicity Silversea should have a rethink about how they solicit donations.

WhiteOak,

I think you make far too many assumptions. It's quite a jump to assume that because I think this charge is bogus and outrageous that I also don't like to tip crew. I make a very healthy donation to the crew welfare fund on each cruise. But the point is that I choose to make that donation. It is not imposed on me.

For those interested in some information concerning the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation here is the link which can be viewed in English.

http://www.maruzza.org/maruzza_en/What_We_Do.html

I did not mean to be over parochial but the posters I was responding to were from North America and if like myself more knowledgeable about those charities on this side of the pond.

Ciao

Bon.vivant,thank you for your knowledgable, tempered post. It is exactly on point. To White Oak: IMO, you are making an incorrect presumption in saying that many people opposing this "charity" charge are planning to quit SS over the issue. Has it ever occurred to you that we are trying to show SS that raising money for a personal foundation, in a sneaky way, is not considerate to their passengers and is a questionable way to run a business. My best quess is that the most irritated posters are the most devoted, loyal and long time cruisers SS has. We have happily sailed with SS for 14 years, 32 cruises, and we think we are entitled to weigh in on what we see is a major PR disaster. Anything which takes away from the lovely, cosseted, conflict free SS experience the line has always worked to project is very disappointing. Goodwill is impossible to create without an excellent track record, and I think, in this particular instance, Silversea's owners are way off track.

Bon.vivant,thank you for your knowledgable, tempered post. It is exactly on point. To White Oak: IMO, you are making an incorrect presumption in saying that many people opposing this "charity" charge are planning to quit SS over the issue. Has it ever occurred to you that we are trying to show SS that raising money for a personal foundation, in a sneaky way, is not considerate to their passengers and is a questionable way to run a business. My best quess is that the most irritated posters are the most devoted, loyal and long time cruisers SS has. We have happily sailed with SS for 14 years, 32 cruises, and we think we are entitled to weigh in on what we see is a major PR disaster. Anything which takes away from the lovely, cosseted, conflict free SS experience the line has always worked to project is very disappointing. Goodwill is impossible to create without an excellent track record, and I think, in this particular instance, Silversea's owners are way off track.

Thank you for your insightful comments. I suspect that it is loyal SS customers that are most put-off and offended by what is in essence a breach of trust. The nature of this dubious charity, and the way ‘donations’ are appropriated leaves one feeling that you need to be on guard against be ‘scammed’ by SS. And that certainly takes away from the lovely, pampered, worry-free cruise experience we’ve come to expect because it sets up feelings of distrust.

For those interested in some information concerning the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation here is the link which can be viewed in English.

http://www.maruzza.org/maruzza_en/What_We_Do.html

I did not mean to be over parochial but the posters I was responding to were from North America and if like myself more knowledgeable about those charities on this side of the pond.

Ciao

Unfortunately, the "Financial Information" page is under construction.

I think there are three issues here:

1) The implication that since we can afford a Silversea cruise, we shouldn't object to a modest charge for charity...I expect most on these cruises give hundreds, if not thousands of times the $14 fee (2 pax for a 7-day cruise) to charity annually. This absolutely isn't about the money.

2) The assertion that this is a worthy charity. It may very well be worthwhile. However, it doesn't have the degree of transparency required by US law. Every charity we give to has clearly posted information about how the monies that are collected are spent. Unfortunately, this foundation doesn't despite being in operation for ten years.

3) Culture versus marketing. Americans are amongst the most generous people in the world (5th, following Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada). However, for 234 years we have rebelled against being told what we should do. As many have pointed out, if this were presented as an opt-in opportunity to contribute, I'd think nothing of donating more than $14 even to an unknown charity. But I will not be dictated to.

Unfortunately, the "Financial Information" page is under construction.

I think there are three issues here:

1) The implication that since we can afford a Silversea cruise, we shouldn't object to a modest charge for charity...I expect most on these cruises give hundreds, if not thousands of times the $14 fee (2 pax for a 7-day cruise) to charity annually. This absolutely isn't about the money.

2) The assertion that this is a worthy charity. It may very well be worthwhile. However, it doesn't have the degree of transparency required by US law. Every charity we give to has clearly posted information about how the monies that are collected are spent. Unfortunately, this foundation doesn't despite being in operation for ten years.

3) Culture versus marketing. Americans are amongst the most generous people in the world (5th, following Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada). However, for 234 years we have rebelled against being told what we should do. As many have pointed out, if this were presented as an opt-in opportunity to contribute, I'd think nothing of donating more than $14 even to an unknown charity. But I will not be dictated to.

Why donate even $14 to an unknown charity whose Financial Information page is still "under construction" after 10 years of operation? Surely, there must be other organizations to give to -- where you can be more sure that your money will do some good.

solicitation means: 'urgently asking'. Seems one who solicitates should wait for the asking to be answered before feeing. Boy are we beating this thing to death or not. Just fun. :):):rolleyes:

To 'cut' to the correct meaning without putting the 'knife' in, and ignoring Wikipedia! the Oxford English definition is 'Ask for or try to obtain something from someone'. Does that sound familiar?

Now truly beaten and dead.

Some of us have dealt personally with such diseases as cancer (grandfather), heart disease (father), multiple scelerosis (mother) and other diseases. IMO (and this may not be a popular opinion), when you lose a parent at the age of 16 to a disease that is still be researched, being forced to contribute -- even 1 cent -- to another charity can be disturbing.

WOW...As I have kept watching this thread Blow up into may different directions, I think that SS Management really has a SITUATION...

I have mentioned about 100 messages ago in this thread,that this very Nobel Cause has been handled poorly by all concerned...

The Charity is not the problem here, it is the way it is being TAKEN and not asked for properly...

As I said prior, after many cruises on SS, I am lucky to be able to afford such a great product and would be happy to contribute quite a bit more than $1 a day, but it is the way it is automatically TAKEN from me that is not right.

I am sure that SS management understands the situation but no one wants to confront the Chairman about this PR disaster..

With the clientle base that you have onboard, this was NOT well thought out..was it..

Looking forward to my next cruise..

SIS

Dear friends:

I think many of us are distrustful of this practice because it is being done without our permission (although we can later get the charge removed), and mainly because it entails a charity organized by the owners of Silversea without very much disclosure about what it does.

I don't think we would be so adamant about this issue if the donation were being made to a well-known, international charity such as the Red Cross or UNICEF.

Starwood basically does the same thing with UNICEF. In this case, I think only the power of choice factor comes into play, but not the distrust.

I also find it somewhat pretentious how some posters in this thread seem to have enjoyed inserting phrases inside of their posts agreeing or disagreeing with the charity practice to the tune of "well, we're well off so of course it isn't about the money", or "those of us well off enough to take a Silversea cruise", or "Silversea passengers are wealthy and probably donate thousands to charity", etc.

Nowadays, in the peak of the world financial crisis, one can purchase a 9-night Silversea or Seabourn cruise for about $2400 per person plus other perks, depending upon the special or sale of the moment. Here in Spain, in the large travel agencies, you can even pay your trip in 3-12 interest-free installments.

The reality is that you don't have to be particularly wealthy to take a Silversea cruise, and in reading these comments, I do sense a type of false snobbery of a bygone era.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived