RCCL Mariner of the Seas or Carnival Magic

For me this would be a no-brainer, choose RCL Mariner. We had one really bad cruise on Carnival's Legend out of Tampa and I would have a hard time convincing my wife to try them again. I guess one bad cruise out of 20 isn't too bad.

Have a great next cruise.

Been on both the Mariner and Magic's sister (Dream). Mariner would also be the clear choice for me. Both are great cruises, but Voyager Class ships (Mariner) are much better, and the Dream was too overcrowded. Plus, I think RCI offers a better product in general.

I agree with everyone else. We were on Carnival in 2005 and said we would never cruise with them again. Fast forward 5 years to January 2010. We gave them (Carnival) another try because we liked the idea of cruising to the Eastern Caribbean (Key West and the Bahamas) and decided that Carnival is just not us for. I have to vote for The Mariner.

It depends when you go. I think the Mariner of the Seas will sail only late November through about mid April, as did the Voyager of the Seas. The Carnival Magic will sail year round. Also I hear the Carnival Ecstasy is being replaced with the Triumph, I think.The point is there are about 7 months when Carnival is your only option from Galveston.

Mariner and Magic will be sailing at the same time when we plan on going. We had a great time this past February on Voyager of the Seas. Very beautiful ship. But I have never sailed Carnival and with Magic being a virtually brand new ship, I was anxious to try it.

Not too many glowing recommendations for Carnival?

Mariner and Magic will be sailing at the same time when we plan on going. We had a great time this past February on Voyager of the Seas. Very beautiful ship. But I have never sailed Carnival and with Magic being a virtually brand new ship, I was anxious to try it.

Mariner is really just like the Voyager but with Chop's taking part of the lido buffet area (which seems to me then that the lido will be even more crowded ???). The Magic does not have a ice rink, but does have better pool slides. Personally, I like both RCI and Carnival equally, but my wife thinks RCI is classier and better.

I say go with the less expensive, especially if there is a great difference (a hundred dollars or more). Right now it looks like the Jan. 29, Feb. 12, and Feb. 26, 2011, Mariner of the Seas is a great price. These all go to Roatan and Belize (and Cozumel of course), so maybe that's one reason.

We are talking in April 2012. After Spring break, probably not many young cruisers.

Virtualy the same itinerary, leaving the Galveston port at the same time.

Magic with dedicated adults only spas/pool.

I guess I'm trying to talk myself into Carnival on their newest ship. But I'm discouraged with the comments to tempt fate having never sailed with Carnival. Like I've ever sailed much. SS Norway in 1989 and Voyager of the Seas in February 2010. I know, big gap...raising kids. But I am into cruising now. Both the Norway and Voyager were great ships and DW and I had a great time on each.

Considering all the factors, does that make a difference in your opinions?

Mariner is really just like the Voyager but with Chop's taking part of the lido buffet area

The way it's set up, it does not take up any of the Windjammer space.

Magic with dedicated adults only spas/pool.

Mariner has an adult's only pool also.

I would pick an RCI ship over a Carnival ship every time. We had a mmiserable cruise on Carnival (on what was a brand-new ship at the time), and that was enough - we will never cruise with them again.

Mariner is our favorite RCI ship - there's something very special about her.

I agree with the rest here, if the price is close and the choice is Carnival or RCI, Royal wins hands down. As you can see we've been on Mariner twice, once on the east coast and once on the west. It is the nicest of the Voyager class ships we've sailed on.

RCCL loyalist, including my parents, seldom have any good comments about Carnival, or any other cruise line. No complaints, to each his own. I prefer Carnival because I don't see the reason to spend so much more on RCCL and basically get the same value when comparing notes with my parents. I've never been on a cruise with Carnival when it did not exceed my expectations and I've met some of the most wonderful fellow passengers, many of whom could easily pick Cunard or Oceania over Carnival. Enjoy your cruise regardless!!!

The Op said the prices were exactly the same.

I understand that, but it isn't the norm. We actually wanted to try Jewel Of The Seas this coming February, yet the same identical 11 day balcony cabin cruise with Celebrity is $250 pp cheaper, so we're booking with them. I'm determined to cruise with RCCL eventually, but price seems to get in the way, so far. Otherwise, I'm sure RCCL is great. Enjoy your next cruise!

Wow, overwhelming in favor of Mariner.

Price exactly the same.

I'm gonna take your experts advise. Mariner of the Seas it is.

TexReno, did you follow this thread?

I'm catching up now. I would have to agree with them when comparing a RCI Voyager Class ship to a Carnival Fantasy Class or Conquest Class ship. This however is a Dream Class Ship and I'd like to give it a try.

It doesn't really matter to me since I've never had a bad cruise on either. I'll go with the crowd but Ducky & Thumper will be your toughest converts. They seem to love Carnival vs. RCI or Princess.

As long as we pick a 7 night or longer cruise and stay away from Spring Break and Peak family times they should be about the same. When cruising with these general market lines it seems to have more to do with the Cruise Director & Hotel Manager's direction of their staff than anything else. I've had good, better and great on HAL, Carnival, RCI & Princess.

JUST LAND ON ONE SO I CAN START THE GROUP.

I'm catching up now. I would have to agree with them when comparing a RCI Voyager Class ship to a Carnival Fantasy Class or Conquest Class ship. This however is a Dream Class Ship and I'd like to give it a try.

I would agree with you if Dream Class wasn't just a bigger Conquest Class with a smaller passenger to space ratio.

Archived