Prices, prices and one other question

Mikiejag

Where does everyone go to get the best price? We are looking to go next June/July (2011) and I just have been Googling the best places, but there are so many to choose from. Some do not seem so reputable, others seems legit, but the price is only a bit cheaper than direct.

4 people, balcony on the Jewel June 18 cruising, came to about $3700.

or

2 rooms, window same cruise for $3200

Do these sound good? This is booked through them with military discount.

The other question is about the all access cruise with Nick. There is only one leaving New York and does anyone have any insight on any other bookings for the year?

I have to come back from Afghanistan first and I will miss it and I would hate to miss the only sailing of the year.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

According to the rules, we can't help you find a travel agency. Keep looking like you are, and maybe ask for recommendations from your friends and family. Have a great cruise!

Hi and welcome to CC! Unfortunately, due to board rules, we can't post links to TAs or other sites, but many times you'll find that a discount in one area (such as OBC) is not a discount in another (i.e. in exchange for the OBC, you will pay a slightly higher fare).

If you choose not to book directly with NCL, they're very adamant about not answering questions/discussing your booking with you at all, and will ask you to go through your TA. I would suggest not booking directly only if you can find a very significant discount. It's quite early to book a cruise in 2011 - lots of great deals are found "last minute," but if that's too nerve-wracking for you (as it is for me), keep in mind that NCL will likely reprice your cruise if the price should drop. I say "likely" because there are always different experiences, but when my Jewel cruise dropped from $949 pp to $749 pp, my PCC was happy to reprice it for me.

Unfortunately, those are the only dates for the All Access Nick cruises, BUT there is now Nickelodeon entertainment on-board the Jewel at all times, so you'll still be able to attend the character breakfast and see the Slime Time Live! show.

I'm sure others will be along that can be of more assistance with the pricing issue. Come home safely, and enjoy your cruise :)

Sorry, not looking so much for TA rec's, just round about figures for those prices.

With all the discounts, just booking with NCL seems to get me the same deal and I was checking if this is what eveyone else does or if there are better deals to be found.

I thought this question would not violate anything, sorry.

On my 1st cruise I booked direct with NCL but just before final payment was due I found a fantastic deal that saved me close to $1000!:D I wouldn't transfer if it wasn't such a significant amount but that was too good to pass up. Keep looking up till your final payment date and if you find a deal you can transfer the booking to the TA.

Where does everyone go to get the best price? We are looking to go next June/July (2011) and I just have been Googling the best places, but there are so many to choose from. Some do not seem so reputable, others seems legit, but the price is only a bit cheaper than direct.

4 people, balcony on the Jewel June 18 cruising, came to about $3700.

or

2 rooms, window same cruise for $3200

Do these sound good? This is booked through them with military discount.

The other question is about the all access cruise with Nick. There is only one leaving New York and does anyone have any insight on any other bookings for the year?

I have to come back from Afghanistan first and I will miss it and I would hate to miss the only sailing of the year.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

The thing to keep in mind is if you book with NCL you can deal directly with NCL if there are any problems or if changes need to be made. If you book with a TA then you have to use the TA if anything happens, NCL will not talk to you. I've heard a lot of horror stories about TA's not returning emails or phone calls and from where you are right now you do not need that. The prices you quote seem reasonable.

would it be wrong for anyone to suggest using cruise critics TA that does it's group bookings?

Thank you sir, for keeping us safe--

Katny

This is Cruise Critic's rule:

"There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges."

The thing to keep in mind is if you book with NCL you can deal directly with NCL if there are any problems or if changes need to be made. If you book with a TA then you have to use the TA if anything happens, NCL will not talk to you. I've heard a lot of horror stories about TA's not returning emails or phone calls and from where you are right now you do not need that. The prices you quote seem reasonable.

Not sure which TA's that is, but NEVER had that prob w/ ours. We use them all the time. Also, this last cruise was booked so quick we forgot to give out lat # and when I logged into NCL it wouldn't come up w/ our cruise so I called NCL, they were very nice, checked the booking #, said we did have it and explained I needed to call my TA and give our Lat #'s, which they then proceeded to give me. (As I only knew mine, not my family's) so, while it is true any changes do through the TA, NCL was nice and helpful. I don't think we've ever booked directly through a cruise line, maybe once... we always find a better deal w/ who we use and we use them enough we get a discount and goodies on board too. Shop around, and when you look at prices, make sure you put past passenger (if you are one) and check all boxes that apply (military, senior etc...) and put your region, for some reason all that helps. If you choose to look for a better price.

First, be safe in Afganistan, most important. God Bless you and get you home.

Cruise lines themselves have amazing Military Discounts, don't forget to check here on Cruise Critics and with individual cruiselines.

I always book direct with the line I am sailing on, saves alot of time if you need answers about anything.

Lynda

would it be wrong for anyone to suggest using cruise critics TA that does it's group bookings?

Thank you sir, for keeping us safe--

Katny

Hi there! Yes, it would be wrong. :o Sorry. We use a good TA for the Official Cruise Critic group sailings but it's a TA nonetheless.

Personally, I don't necessarily go with best price. I try to find best price combined with best service. I've booked direct and I've booked with a TA and all things being equal, I like having a TA because there are usually some benefits.

Would posting a site that offers up comparative prices from different TA's also against the rules? The one that you ask for quotes from the participating TAs? Just curious.

I posted one of those sites one time and my post was deleted......

First thing to remember is that when comparing prices, make sure you are comparing apples to apples (so to speak) and that the prices include the same things, such as port taxes. You also should check cancellation fees if you use a TA, just in case you want to cancel or move your booking. But, the most important advice is to check prices right up until final payment. When you see a lower price for your cabin category , call and have your price adjusted. Prices fluctuate depending on how a cruise is selling, but we have gotten some sognificant reductions this way. You usually have to watch yourself, even if using a TA.After final payment, you don't get a price reduction but sometimes you can negotiate some onboard credit. And, you can always move up to a better cabin after final payment if the price comes down for that.

Service is the key. We've booked through four different online agencies, and have had good experiences with all. Check out as many as you can handle before getting dizzy. Check out the ship so that you know what you're looking for in a cabin and location. Get quotes in writing so that you can compare, and then call the best quote.

Then if you get a good response over the phone, go for it. You know when you talk to someone on the phone if you will be able to work with that person. Some people just do not have a good telephone manner -- sort of like a doctor who was absent the day med school taught bedside manner. You know it when you see it! :cool:

OP --

to your question about 4 in a balcony or 2 in Ocean View. I think it would all depend on how young the children are. (I assume you are interested in the Nick at Sea thing because you have young ones.) NCL doesn't allow children to be booked into a cabin without adults, so you get one child and your partner gets the other in the other cabin.

Doing 4 if they are small enough might be the better option because the bunks and or fold out sofa will accomodate children, they might even both fit on the sofabed.

Base it on price and how much time you think you will spend in the cabin. The balcony would be nice if you are waiting for the children to fall asleep, you and partner could sit out on there and not disturb them.

There are the family boards so posting your questions over there might bring up a whole lot of answers for you.

Happy cruising!! :)

Check out as many as you can handle before getting dizzy.

This is why I posted, I was starting to get queezy... :)

I am glad the price looks good, I had just found some that offered on-board credit, wine, etc, not that that is the reason for the cruise, every since my first one I knew cruising was for me. :)

Yes, we do have youngin's, sorta 12/13 so the Nick thing is what brought us to the NCL line. I will just book with the cuise line, the websites that offer the most perks seem...well, like AOL days and when parting with almost 4k, I need something a little more solid than that. I just wanted to make sure that price was withina good range.

To be honest, we book our last cruise with Walmart travel, they have quit now so it should be ok, and it was actually acidental, just shopping and a tiny little ad was on the page. :)

Thank you all, I am off to the family boards now for the two/one room thing.

Sorry one last question, buy as early as possible or wait until 100 days prior?

Room assignment is not so critical, but the informal stats I have gathered while lurking here has it split 50/50.

For the longer time crusiers, what do you do?

I also plan to book the next cruise on this cruise as well. More background, last year Iraq, 9 months later Afghanistan, well that is it, I am done with 20 and this cruise is also my military retirement cruise/graduation with Masters, I know TMI, but now that my life is more stable, cruising is my vacation of choice.

I have always told people, once you do it once you will be hooked.

Sorry one last question, buy as early as possible or wait until 100 days prior?

Room assignment is not so critical, but the informal stats I have gathered while lurking here has it split 50/50.

I am in the camp that books as soon as I know the dates. You'll have a better chance of getting the military discount (promo code - PGMIL) by booking sooner rather than later. Last year when I booked my SA cruise, NCL was offering a pretty good military discount. Later, as the ship filled up, I noticed that it was no longer listed as available.

Sometimes you can get great deals by waiting until the last minute. I got a great last-minute deal (including the military discount) on our Western Caribbean cruise by booking 5 days before embarcation. The sail date, however, was early November when fewer people wanted to cruise. A Nickelodeon cruise in June could be popular - thereby making the probability of last-minute deals less likely.

Also, the earlier you book, the better your cabin choices will be. There are some very noisy places on board a ship, so your cabin location is very important. On our first cruise our cabin was above the Medusa Lounge and every night we got to hear the show. (. . . and it was the SAME show night after night, always concluding with "New York, New York".) There are some great tips on cabin selection on another part of this board, but the short story is to try to be amidships away from the elevators with cabins above and below you.

After you book, keep watching the cruise fares and if you see them drop for your cruise before your final payment is due, call NCL and ask if you qualify for the reduction.

More background, last year Iraq, 9 months later Afghanistan, well that is it, I am done with 20 and this cruise is also my military retirement cruise/graduation with Masters, I know TMI, but now that my life is more stable, cruising is my vacation of choice.

Thank you for all your years of service. You have a lot to be proud of. Please thank your family on my behalf for all the sacrifice they've endured so that you could keep us safe.

My personal opinion is that $3700 seems kind of high, but I never cruise, or look at cruise prices, in the summer, (we live on a lake and the weather is great in summer) so maybe that's why it is higher.

I just priced a cruise for us and two grandkids for Dec. or Jan. that came out a little over $2000 for a balcony, total. (4 people, senior rate) This was Carnival, but I've had similar prices from other lines, give or take a couple of hundred. Some come with some OBC, etc.

Note: early December, before Xmas, as well as January and part of February often have the lowest prices because less people want to cruise then.

I love balconies myself, but the two rooms, especially if they are connecting would be great for more room and especially for two bathrooms.

Thanks for your outstanding service to our country and the world! Have a great cruise.

Sounds like you picked the wrong branch of service if you like to cruise! Although, a balcony would not have been an option.

It seems like the prices for popular cruises or destinations continue to rise as it gets closer to departure. For our upcoming cruise to Alaska I booked a year ago and our balcony cabin price has gone up $500 pp. I was able to use the military discount and saved ~$500 for the two of us. I'm guessing your cruise will be very popular and you'll find the same thing happen due to demand.

All the previous recommendations about watching the price until final payment to get a possible price reduction apply, it just never occured for us ,as Alaska is so popular, as I believe your cruise will also be due to it's family appeal.

I booked direct with NCL and like being able to talk directly to them and they have been very helpful.

From one vet to another, THANKS! I know what family sacrifices you've made.

Cheers,

Vic

P.S. Don't forget to get on the roll call for your cruise once you get booked.

Would posting a site that offers up comparative prices from different TA's also against the rules? The one that you ask for quotes from the participating TAs? Just curious.
Yes, that can't be posted. Sorry. :(

We have booked straight with NCL, on-line cruise agent and regular TA. If you book with a on-line cruise company, no matter what, NCL will not answer your questions regardless of your question. You might find a better price on line though. For one cruise, I found a great on line price, went to the travel agent and asked if they could match it. Not a chance. So I booked on line. It was extremely frustrating as I couldn't get email returns, trying to get a problem solved. NCL would not talk to me at all. So I finally called the company, talked to a supervisor, got a new agent and never had any more problems.....and the price was AWESOME. TA's companies, might have a deal with NCL and you could get a great price or per perks.....OBC free stuff etc. My current cruise to be, I originally booked with NCL, but after talking to a TA, she took it over (you can do this prior to final payment) and I received extra OBC and the price didn't change. It nice to be able to talk direct to a person. I disagree with waiting for the price to go on sale. I booked in December for a November cruise. The price has now doubled per person. If the price goes down prior to your final payment, you can contact your agent and they will adjust your price.

Archived