Need help with special gift ideas

lilacbirman

My sister just turned 60 and we want to celebrate on our cruise in a couple of weeks. Since it's a "big" birthday, we want to make it as memorable as possible. Trying to think of something very different, not the standard balloons, flowers, cake thing but haven't come up with any good original ides. Anyone have unusual or original ideas that we can do onboard? There are two of us married couples, my mom and my teen son, we are all in balcony cabins.

:)

My sister just turned 60 and we want to celebrate on our cruise in a couple of weeks. Since it's a "big" birthday, we want to make it as memorable as possible. Trying to think of something very different, not the standard balloons, flowers, cake thing but haven't come up with any good original ides. Anyone have unusual or original ideas that we can do onboard? There are two of us married couples, my mom and my teen son, we are all in balcony cabins.

You could do something like an Ultimate Balcony Dining experience, would could be something very special. I think it is $100 per couple...that is, if you would like everyone to join in. Or maybe the breakfast, which is a bit cheaper. If you did want everyone to join in, I think you would have to do it on a Caribe deck balcony on one of the ships where they are 9x9. I don't believe the balcony dividers on Princess open.

Or, my personal favorite would be a day at the spa...or at least a couple of treatments. yeah! You could purchase that onboard for her (or even reserve it ahead of time) or you could arrange this in one of the ports of call ahead of time as well. This is kind of a more personal kind of thing...not really a family event.

Just a couple of ideas that I might enjoy....hope it helps.

I suggest buying her a tiara and make her wear it all day on the ship, along with a sash that says "Happy 60th Birthday". Go buy a plain old cane, or pick one up in a thrift shop, spray paint it gold and then bedazzle it with gems. Make her queen for a day.

I like the tiara idea plus dinner on the balcony or at least have it in Sabatini's. You could also arrange for a photographer to come and take a photo of everyone celebrating the special occasion.

What about buying her one of the celebration packages?

I received one on my last cruise. I had a spa treatment, champagne and dipped strawberries in the cabin when we arrived, a framed photo and a champagne breakfast on the morning of our choice.

We started our cruise in Quebec. The snow was on the ground but we were determined to have our champagne on the balcony, even if we froze to death.:D

I agree the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is awesome.

Ultimate Balcony Dining

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ulitmate Balcony Dining features, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

For those who want to start the day with a romantic meal, opt for a breakfast which includes specialty pastries, fresh fruits, quiche, smoked salmon and other special treats served with a half bottle of French champagne.

Lets see...if that were me - I would be thrilled to have a massage and a mani/pedi on board. At 60 we need it! L0L short of a chippendale dancer on board - she might like the massage. Happy Birthday!

Just thought of something...do a door decoration (minus the age of course) which would let people know it's a b'day. I think princess does balloons on the door if you request but you could do a dazzling one yourself and stick it on there.

Well, this is totally different from what others are posting, but I wanted to do something special for my 15th wedding anniversary for my hubby a couple years ago. So I came up with this idea.

I had 7 gifts ready and each day, I gave him a gift. I hid the gifts in my suitcase and brought gift bags, etc. So I gave him:

A new tie for formal night

A new sports watch

Ice Cream Card upon arrival

A new tropical shirt for tropical night

A new wallet

Im drawing a blank on the other items, but the last night, I gave him (us) season passes to Busch Gardens....something to look forward to when we got home cause leaving a cruise is sooooo sad!

Anyway, doesnt sound exciting, but he was like a little kid after a couple days wondering what surprise I would have for him that night. Nothing like celebrating all week long!!!!

We also did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner one night and it was the best thing we ever did on board. Sooooo much food!!

Hope the day is special!

Also, we saw a group (everyone in the group) with bright green tshirts made that said....Erika's 18th Birthday Cruise and info about the cruise on it. Everyone young and old wore the shirts...you could do that.

For my mother n law's 60th birthday we also surprised her with a cruise. But her birthday celebration was really the huge tropical birthday party I gave her before hand, which told her we were taking her on the cruise. I made a video of pictures from all over the Emerald Princes...the making of the Emerald, to pictures from almost all spots on the ship and then pictures of the islands we would be visiting and put them into a slide show with tropical music and I played in on the tv...the last screen told her that we were taking her on the ship!!

We played games and had skits like the lifeboat drill, sailaway party, embarkment photos, issued cruise cards and I even got someone at work to make me "announcements" that I taped and played back throughout the party....

(ships sound) ...attention passengers, this is your cruise director Simon Wells and in just 10 minutes we will begin our lifeboat drill, please get your life jackets and head to your muster station....blah blah blah...

Then we pretended to have a lifeboat drill and I made a bunch of people put on life jackets. It was hilarious.

Anyway, this was all pre-cruise and not what you asked for, but I had so much fun doing it, thought Id share.

Why not celebrate her birthday by doing something exciting, something she has never done such as zip lining, or even sky diving. Lots of people mark their birthdays by doing something new/different/thrilling and even challenging! Are there any exciting tour on the cruise you are taking?

You might invite the Captain to dinner or even desert, depending on which ship you are on this might be feasible.

Finally, why not try to get a private ultimate ship tour, I am sure this would be expensive but it would be different! She could wear her Tiara!

Also, we saw a group (everyone in the group) with bright green tshirts made that said....Erika's 18th Birthday Cruise and info about the cruise on it. Everyone young and old wore the shirts...you could do that.

For my mother n law's 60th birthday we also surprised her with a cruise. But her birthday celebration was really the huge tropical birthday party I gave her before hand, which told her we were taking her on the cruise. I made a video of pictures from all over the Emerald Princes...the making of the Emerald, to pictures from almost all spots on the ship and then pictures of the islands we would be visiting and put them into a slide show with tropical music and I played in on the tv...the last screen told her that we were taking her on the ship!!

We played games and had skits like the lifeboat drill, sailaway party, embarkment photos, issued cruise cards and I even got someone at work to make me "announcements" that I taped and played back throughout the party....

(ships sound) ...attention passengers, this is your cruise director Simon Wells and in just 10 minutes we will begin our lifeboat drill, please get your life jackets and head to your muster station....blah blah blah...

Then we pretended to have a lifeboat drill and I made a bunch of people put on life jackets. It was hilarious.

Anyway, this was all pre-cruise and not what you asked for, but I had so much fun doing it, thought Id share.

WOW - you are a great daughter in law. That sounded like sooo much fun. I like your idea for the gifts for you DH also. That got me to thinking, our anniversary falls on our cruise this year. I just might have to buy him one of those dreaded Tropical Shirts and hide it in my suitcase as a gift. Love that idea!!! Thanks. After 37 years I doubt he would complain that much. L0L

My vote would be for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. She will definitely love it along with the Spa treatments. An added flair to the UBD would be if there was some way you could get the ship's maitre d to be your server. I know the last suggestion is pie in the sky thinking, but a little groveling with some added financial incentives goes a long way.....:):):)

Bob

I was so happy to reach the big "60"! But, that said, I didn't want to announce it to everyone [who didn't know me!] And, to see it in writing on a wall/door/or on a cake........NO WAY!!!!!

No banners

No signs

No "Big 60" written on everything

Just something really special to celebrate this milestone......and, my dear, you are a keeper! So thoughtful and lovely! You need to be cloned!!!!!!

She will adore your expression of love without pounding it into her and everyone else's head!!!!!

What ship are you sailing?

Last November we were celebrating a birthday and our anniversary.

We had the best wait staff, in any time dining and we talked about our anniversary and the day we would be celebrating. Sat at the same table every night and they wrote us a song and sang to us using a ukelele and decorated a special cake for us writing out happy aniversary, it was the best. They called themselves the 3 amigos.

Depending on your dining venue.. you could let the staff know in advance you are celebrating and then you could surprize her.

The ultimate balcony dining or the ultimate champagne breakfast would be cool and then you could come and sing to her.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I should have mentioned that I just lost my job a couple of months ago and we are already paying for my mother's trip so didn't want to get too spendy. I do love the tiara idea though, lol! And a massage sounds great for the three of us ladies. My hubby's b-day will also be celebrated onboard since he turns 52 just before we sail, I've listed it on my personalizer but hubby does not want any big celebration or attention.

wizard-of-roz: Thanks, that's sweet of you to say. My sister is a wonderful person and when I was young girl I always wanted to be like her. :)

Cruiser113: We are on the Sapphire Princess. I'll check on the balcony dining or champagne breakfast.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I should have mentioned that I just lost my job a couple of months ago and we are already paying for my mother's trip so didn't want to get too spendy. I do love the tiara idea though, lol! And a massage sounds great for the three of us ladies. My hubby's b-day will also be celebrated onboard since he turns 52 just before we sail, I've listed it on my personalizer but hubby does not want any big celebration or attention.

wizard-of-roz: Thanks, that's sweet of you to say. My sister is a wonderful person and when I was young girl I always wanted to be like her. :)

Cruiser113: We are on the Sapphire Princess. I'll check on the balcony dining or champagne breakfast.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

If you spend any time at the pool, you might arrange it ahead of time with the activities direction that they name her queen for the day. We were on Celebrity one year, they did this....but it was actually king for the day. Everyone had to bow to him, grab him cold drinks, anything he wanted from his humble servents. All the pax on the ship were his humble servants...too funny. It was great....and only took a little imagination...no cost. She would have to be a good sport about it....but if you knew she would take it as a fun game, then I would go for it. If she doesn't like the pool, maybe at the art auction, etc. The activities directors do seem to welcome the involvement.

One more idea...the Sanctuary for the day for all in your group....again, not too expensive and you could have a little private party in there.

If you spend any time at the pool, you might arrange it ahead of time with the activities direction that they name her queen for the day. We were on Celebrity one year, they did this....but it was actually king for the day. Everyone had to bow to him, grab him cold drinks, anything he wanted from his humble servents. All the pax on the ship were his humble servants...too funny. It was great....and only took a little imagination...no cost. She would have to be a good sport about it....but if you knew she would take it as a fun game, then I would go for it. If she doesn't like the pool, maybe at the art auction, etc. The activities directors do seem to welcome the involvement.

One more idea...the Sanctuary for the day for all in your group....again, not too expensive and you could have a little private party in there.

This is a great idea as well. My sister would totally get into it, she has a very sunny disposition and would play the role well. :D

... That got me to thinking, our anniversary falls on our cruise this year. I just might have to buy him one of those dreaded Tropical Shirts and hide it in my suitcase as a gift. Love that idea!!! Thanks. After 37 years I doubt he would complain that much. L0L

For a great tropical shirt, if your trip is in the carribean, look for a Terrivoile (sp?) shirt. They run about $15, are indestructible, breathe in humid weather, wash and dry in minutes. They're nice tropical prints, we've found them at stalls in St Thomas and Dominica, not sure where else you can find them. My DH has 4 and wished he had more.

Since you are quite a big group, each of you could have a special day where you would spend an official birthday moment( like an hour) with her and organise a treat; others can also join in on some treats . For your day , beeing sisters it could be an hour together at the spa, with the younger ones, an ice cream extravaganza ( as long as it is something SHE likes to do or share) , from the brother in law: flower corsage on formal night etc. Time with the ones we love is always a cherished gift. And after the cruise a picture book with all those special moments included. She could find out only in the morning who her birthday partner is on that particular day. This way the celebrating can last the whole cruise !

Happy cruise !

Archived