Cococay Questions

So we're sailing on the Monarch again in December. When we did the same cruise two years ago we skipped Cococay because of the wind making it unable to tender safely. My question to all of you is, from your experience, how likely is it that we would have to skip this port again? I know it's hard to say for sure because weather is unpredictable. Also for those who have been there, what would you suggest doing while we are there?

Side note, when we skipped Cococay two years ago we went straight to Nassau and stayed there and got to be there for two days instead of one.

We've never had to skip Coco Cay....if you get to go this time, it's a beach day, pure and simple! Find a lounge or hammock, read, nap, drink, eat....walk on the beach, splash in the water....whatever you want!

I figure that since the day is included in your fare, it's silly to spend more money on "excursions", like waverunners (follow the leader style) or any of the other RCI "exclusive" excursions! We just do "beach" things! You don't have to stay all day, either...you can come and go as you please!

We've been there 3 times and never missed it. The last time we were there, however, it was iffy because of high winds. No one on here can tell you you will or won't make it for sure.

It's a great beach day. If you like snorkeling, there's really good snorkeling--a lot of people bring their own gear. There's parasailing, jet skiing and other typical "beach" stuff.

It's really not so easy to come and go as you please because you have to tender from the ship. Depending on the lines it can take up to about 30 minutes each way. Once you decide to go, you should plan to be there for the day. There are plenty of bars, plus a bbq lunch. We love it--it's very relaxing!

This pass January we were able to tender there.

It's a nice relaxing beach day. The weather was confortable...warm in the sun and a little chilly in the shade, but it didn't keep people out of the water.

It's nice to walk along the beach. There's beach volleyball, hiking trail, plenty of drinks and the usual lunch buffet. The line for the tender at the end of the day grows long very quickly, so if you don't want to wait head back about one hour earlier then last tender call.

Thanks to all for your information. :) On the whole tender line getting long, I tend to get off do what I want and head back a little early. Everyone stays out but then the boat is empty. I can finish my tanning on a chair by the pool. Same sun. I'll stay out in Cococay that's for sure, but if I want to beat the rush it doesn't bother me. :)

We've never had to skip Coco Cay....if you get to go this time, it's a beach day, pure and simple! Find a lounge or hammock, read, nap, drink, eat....walk on the beach, splash in the water....whatever you want!

I figure that since the day is included in your fare, it's silly to spend more money on "excursions", like waverunners (follow the leader style) or any of the other RCI "exclusive" excursions! We just do "beach" things! You don't have to stay all day, either...you can come and go as you please!

We are active and over the years have snorkeled, rented the catamarans ( you can sail most anywhere), enjoyed the wave runner tours, taken the kayaks and rented the paddle boats. I see lots of passengers enjoying the water park and slide, so there may be many who prefer the take “an excursion” to better enjoy what the island has to offer.

As for the original question, we’ve hit Cocoa Cay about 60% of the tome. No relation to time of year – just hit or miss.

Have fun

M

We've been there 3 times and never missed it. The last time we were there, however, it was iffy because of high winds. No one on here can tell you you will or won't make it for sure.

It's a great beach day. If you like snorkeling, there's really good snorkeling--a lot of people bring their own gear. There's parasailing, jet skiing and other typical "beach" stuff.

It's really not so easy to come and go as you please because you have to tender from the ship. Depending on the lines it can take up to about 30 minutes each way. Once you decide to go, you should plan to be there for the day. There are plenty of bars, plus a bbq lunch. We love it--it's very relaxing!

DH & I both are prone to sunburn and skin cancer so we don't do long periods in the sun. We stayed about 2 hours at Coco Cay adn returned to the ship before 1 PM.

So we're sailing on the Monarch again in December. When we did the same cruise two years ago we skipped Cococay because of the wind making it unable to tender safely. My question to all of you is, from your experience, how likely is it that we would have to skip this port again? I know it's hard to say for sure because weather is unpredictable. Also for those who have been there, what would you suggest doing while we are there?

Side note, when we skipped Cococay two years ago we went straight to Nassau and stayed there and got to be there for two days instead of one.

We've visited Cococay five times and haven't missed it once. Knock on wood.

We just relax on the beach all day and take a dip now and then. I think next time we'll bring some food to feed the Stingrays.

We were there in May and my husband was going to rent a wave runner when we got there. All of the wave runner reservations were cancelled because of low tide - the water was too shallow.

It was a great day on the beach, but next time I wll take water shoes as you step on rocks in the water with every step you take.

It was a great day on the beach, but next time I wll take water shoes as you step on rocks in the water with every step you take.

I have not read this before. The only time we have been to Coco Cay it was raining and we did not venture into the water. Is it rocky in all beach areas? Thanks.

Do you have to sign up for the extra activities on the ship, or can you do it when you arrive there? Waverunner, etc.

Signed up on CocoCay, there were plenty of slots available for the Waverunners. Fun experience, especially on the clear water, but I think spending $100 for an hour once is enough. :D

We just returned from the Eastern Carribean cruise where Cococay was our first stop. It is mostly a beach lounging type of place. There are excursions, we did the jet skis, and there are some shopping but mostly just beach, sand, drinks, and relaxation. There weather was windy and very hot. Loved it!

Thanks to all for your information. :) On the whole tender line getting long, I tend to get off do what I want and head back a little early. Everyone stays out but then the boat is empty. I can finish my tanning on a chair by the pool. Same sun. I'll stay out in Cococay that's for sure, but if I want to beat the rush it doesn't bother me. :)

HI! My husband and I will be taking our teenagers on this cruise. Can you tell me what there is to do on Coco Cay. Do they offer excursions, or would you recommend just hanging at the beach and maybe doing some water activities?

This will be our first time in the bahamas, second cruise!

Thanks!

Is there an adults only area?

I read somewhere that if you walk to the other side of the island there are more chairs in a quieter atmosphere, waiters too. I could have gotten that mixed up with another private island though.

Thanks!

I was wondering if there are any cabanas on this little private island. Carnival had cabanas you could rent on Half Moon Cay. They were awesome!!! We loved them when were were there last summer. Does RCL also have them available on CocoCay? :rolleyes: If not are there clamshells to rent? Or is it just first come, first serve with the loungers?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived