Set Sail questions :)

I am going to "TRY" not to use our credit card on the cruise :) With that being said I am going to take travelers checks to use. If I put too much cash on my set sail and have leftover $$ How does Royal pay me back? Do they mail me a check, give me the cash back at the end of cruise?

My second question was if I do small amounts like $500 each time then the day before our debarkation can I put up my credit card for the balance? I am registered as a cash payer right now on the setsail.

I am going to "TRY" not to use our credit card on the cruise :) With that being said I am going to take travelers checks to use. If I put too much cash on my set sail and have leftover $$ How does Royal pay me back? Do they mail me a check, give me the cash back at the end of cruise?

My second question was if I do small amounts like $500 each time then the day before our debarkation can I put up my credit card for the balance? I am registered as a cash payer right now on the setsail.

just register your credit card as normal, but pay off your balance on the last day.

The easiest way is to register using your credit card, then the last day go and clear the account with your travellers checks, then any small balance will be charged to your cc, or you can overpay the balance and any balance will be credited to your cc

What we do is register a credit card on the set sail pass. Near the end of the cruise we use our traveler's checques or left over cash to pay it down or off. We don't wait until the very last minute to pay, since the lines will be long then. We pay it near the end, so the last day's expenses go to the credit card, but we do make sure any shopping is done before we pay. I think the most we had going to a cc was about $75.

Will they put a huge hold on my CC then I have to wait for it to clear? I am planning on us spending about $1500 - $2000. One never knows if an emergency would arise and I need the card while in port.. I just assumed they charged the card as you made charges on the setsail... or do they just run a tab and then at the end you pay as you wish?

Will they put a huge hold on my CC then I have to wait for it to clear? I am planning on us spending about $1500 - $2000. One never knows if an emergency would arise and I need the card while in port.. I just assumed they charged the card as you made charges on the setsail... or do they just run a tab and then at the end you pay as you wish?

That's an awfully big tab for just two people. :confused: We have never run up a tab anywhere near that.

You could always make a $1500 - $2000 payment to your credit card right before you leave for the cruise. Your payment would likely clear in advance of the billing from RCCI, so it'd basically be a wash.

We always have a tab around $2000. There's no point in going if we're going to worry about every penny we spend & it's pretty easy to do. We enjoy a few cocktails every day, I always have a facial, the kids & grand kids always ask for something ship related. Add a photo or two & you're at 2K in a heartbeat!

I talked to Royal tonight :) They told me if I use our credit card then every purchase made onboard via setsail pass has a hold placed on my card for that amount. I can use cash to settle the account before the end of the cruise and those holds would be released.

The lady gave me examples and it was crystal clear :) I am REALLY not wanting to use our credit card..I know my spending habits so I am thinking I will just plop down a big cash payment(travelers checks) then if I have anything left over at the end Royal can issue me a check or cash my option she said :)

Archived