Son collects pocket knives Need Port Help :)

Just need to know if my son will be allowed to purchase a pocket knife while in St Thomas,St Martin or Coco Cay and allowed to take it back home ? The blades are usually 2 -4 inches usually under 4 inches in most cases. Can anyone help me?

I would imagine they will take it from you when you board the ship and hold it until you disembark. You might want to talk to someone in Customer Relations about this before you get to the port.

Garry

Your ticket rules are very explicit -- no knives. Have the knives shipped or mailed to your home.

When I printed my ticket today it mentioned no knives or scissors with over a 4 inch blade... I was just trying to see if anyone has ever brought one back from an island. Our son is really wanting one from his travels :)

When I printed my ticket today it mentioned no knives or scissors with over a 4 inch blade... I was just trying to see if anyone has ever brought one back from an island. Our son is really wanting one from his travels :)

The worst that could happen is they take it when going through x ray and give it back when you go home. Should be packed in checked luggage for you flight.

I would imagine they will take it from you when you board the ship and hold it until you disembark. You might want to talk to someone in Customer Relations about this before you get to the port.

Garry

Very good answer. I am sure the OP can make arrangements with the Purser's Desk to have her son's knives stored until the last night onboard.

I never would have thought of doing this. I'll have to let my friend who also likes to collect pocket knives know that he might have a chance after all.

When we cruised to Alaska, my BIL who also collects pocket knives, bought several. They were collected as we got on the ship in each port and he had to go collect them as we disembarked. It wasn't an issue really. I know that it wasn't the Bahamas, but it was a cruise none the less.

It will be confiscated by security when you return to the ship and given back when you leave the ship.

Also important to note if you are flying the knife will not be allowed in your carry on luggage. You might be able to pack it in your checked luggage , but TSA can still confiscate even from your checked luggage depeding on the security alerts on that given day at that airport. Best to have the shop ship it to your home.

...I am sure the OP can make arrangements with the Purser's Desk to have her son's knives stored until the last night onboard...
Knives [indeed almost all confiscated items except liquor] will be returned from a table in the baggage area AFTER you get off the ship.

Thom

I leave my mini leather man and Swiss army knife at home if I travel.

I collect Christmas ornaments- I think my tree is more traveled than me:D shot glasses, maybe a t-shirt and my best friend a magnet.

I would ask the customer service desk on the ship and see what happens. Like other said you just may have to collect them before you leave the ship.

if you want a list of prohibited items when flying http://www.tsa.gov has the list.

Just back from the Med and bought a nice knife. Thought nothing about it and put it into my day bag. No problem. Reboarded the ship and when I packed to go home I just placed it into our checked baggage. Now I realize "oops".... Oh well....Hope your son has a great trip.

It will be confiscated by security when you return to the ship and given back when you leave the ship.

Also important to note if you are flying the knife will not be allowed in your carry on luggage. You might be able to pack it in your checked luggage , but TSA can still confiscate even from your checked luggage depeding on the security alerts on that given day at that airport. Best to have the shop ship it to your home.

Why would TSA care if there is a knife in checked luggage?

Archived