New cruise line: Compagnie Du Ponant:

Hobar

My cruise agent just told us about this new cruise line. Seems to be on par with Seabourn and Silversea. Anyone know anything about it? Not sure if it's all inclusive like SB and SS, but they are small ships, and not sure if they will be dominated by French passengers.

La Compagnie du Ponant is not a new cruise line. It is a well established French luxury cruise line which has been sailing since 1988. Its flagship, Le Diamant, is a beautiful ship. Yes, the passengers will be primarily French, but so will be the service and the food.

I seem to remember some marketing here, as they had a new ship launched this year. Marketed as a luxury line.... but they did seem to encourage children..... which I do wonder if there is enough to keep children amused on a smaller yacht.

We saw the latest one, Le Boreal, in Kiel when we were on the Sojourn a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful looking ship. Having been on Le Levant a few years ago, I would concur it was not a patch on Seabourn. One of the reasons I don't like them is they have no bath in the bathroom just a shower.

try it included with a tour, Tauck uses this company for some of its "Small Ship Cruises". We were on the Tauck Le Diamant in the Chilean Fjords about 5 years ago & trust me, it was nothing like Seabourn, even though it was very enjoyable. We were also on the Levant in the Black Sea & the Tauck part was fine but the CIP part, not so great. Stick to what you've got!

We saw the latest one, Le Boreal, in Kiel when we were on the Sojourn a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful looking ship. Having been on Le Levant a few years ago, I would concur it was not a patch on Seabourn. One of the reasons I don't like them is they have no bath in the bathroom just a shower.

Shefinch - the ship we both saw in Kiel was the Le Diamant, the old Song of Flower of Radisson; captained in those days of course by Captain Dag. She now holds about 200 passengers. The other du Ponant ships are Le Levant, with 90, and Le Ponant with 64 passengers, and the new one Le Boreal carries 264 (all according to the rather posh agents in London). Interestingly (maybe) the Song of Flower was I think the only all inclusive (apart from excursions) ship in the old days, apart from I suppose Sea Goddess/Sea Dream, and I once wrote to Mark Conroy suggesting that Radisson went all inclusive on all ships, and got a reply saying that they would never do that!! How times change.

Shefinch - the ship we both saw in Kiel was the Le Diamant, the old Song of Flower of Radisson; captained in those days of course by Captain Dag. She now holds about 200 passengers. The other du Ponant ships are Le Levant, with 90, and Le Ponant with 64 passengers, and the new one Le Boreal carries 264 (all according to the rather posh agents in London). Interestingly (maybe) the Song of Flower was I think the only all inclusive (apart from excursions) ship in the old days, apart from I suppose Sea Goddess/Sea Dream, and I once wrote to Mark Conroy suggesting that Radisson went all inclusive on all ships, and got a reply saying that they would never do that!! How times change.

Lincslady - I know we saw Le Diamant (the old Song of Flower on which we have travelled as I think we discussed) but I didn't think that was in Kiel. I am pretty sure it was Le Boreal we saw then. It passed by while we were having lunch. Everybody including the crew was commenting on her. Can't remember if you were in the Colonnade at the time.

Shelagh

Lincslady - I know we saw Le Diamant (the old Song of Flower on which we have travelled as I think we discussed) but I didn't think that was in Kiel. I am pretty sure it was Le Boreal we saw then. It passed by while we were having lunch. Everybody including the crew was commenting on her. Can't remember if you were in the Colonnade at the time.

Shelagh

I may have it on video - will check and report back later if I did "capture" it.

We could have sworn it was Diamant - even looked at the name. However, it was indeed lunchtime and we had had a couple of glasses of Sauvignon Blanc, so could be confused. Hope there is photographic proof.

Come on Man,sharpen up!!

we want to know.:)

Mystery solved. It was Le Boreal 2 July Keil midday ( ish).

Sorry for the delay; but I have been trying to find some postings that seem to have disappeared into the ether. Hope you all get this one. Confirmation would be nice, in view of my confusion.

Regards

Archived